PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Starr

test

tlg30
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
10 years ago today we lost one of the all time greats. R.I.P. Edwin Starr.

JL2648
04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Amen!

Edwin is one of my favorites.

Jeff

marv2
04-02-2013, 07:40 PM
One of mine too. Edwin got down everytime he was onstage and in front of a mic! It's hard to believe it's been that long already. Rest in peace Edwin, you were something else man!

Marv

jaybs
04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Edwin You were a True GEM! Wonder if you ever took the time to breath and understand the Respect & Love so many had for You! - Feel sure You are in The Heavenly Choir now, RIP!

rovereab
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I think it is timely for a 2 CD set of Edwin's Motown songs. Hopefully including the UK single mix of War. Edwin was very popular in the UK and his songs are still played today.

snakepit
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Sure I've heard a version of the Spinners "I'll always love you" by Edwin. A CD comp with some unissued would be a nice tribute.

grapevine
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
...a 'Motown Edwin Starr Tribute CD' ...or even a 'Motown Anthology' ...would be a nice tribute' ...but Hip-O / Motown haven't once honoured Edwin these past 10 years and should be ashamed of themselves...!!! Compare their lovefest with Michael Jackson since his death and his plethora of posthumous releases, with a total lack for Edwin...! Not good ....not good at all...! :[[

mysterysinger
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Awesome performer!
http://www.edwinstarr.info/discography.htm

1382hitsville
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Agreed!
Today I played War and Peace, loved it. Motown did not completely ignore Edwin, in 2001 Hell Up In Harlem was reissued and 2004 Edwin & Blinky got a Hipo treatment and Just We Two was reissued.

But agreed, not enough! A complete overview would be nice, including the Ric Tic recordings.

carole cucumber
04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
And don't forget 1998's The Very Best of Edwin Starr, 2001's 20th Century Masters Millenium Collection, and 2002's U.K. 2-fers combining Soul Master and 25 Miles, and War & Peace and Involved. And in the early days of cd , we even saw a straight cd re-issue of Edwin's Motown 20th Anniversary lp.
There were also a few earlier compilations issued in the U.K.
But, I do agree, an Edwin Starr comprehensive Anthology [[pre & post- Motown) including
previously unreleased vault tracks would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

jaybs
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I can't understand why there has never been a book about Edwin's life & career, I know he was with his Manager for many years, he should be given the full recognition he deserves & allow those who find out about his music which never dates to know The Man himself.

JL2648
04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I regret that I never got to see Edwin live. But I have a feeling that he only rarely did shows in the states by the time I became interested in Motown [[mid 1980s).

Jeff

mysterysinger
04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Edwin performed regularly in the UK and would have everyone dancing in the aisles. Truly a great performer.

jsmith
04-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I can't understand why there has never been a book about Edwin's life & career, I know he was with his Manager for many years, he should be given the full recognition he deserves & allow those who find out about his music which never dates to know The Man himself.

Edwin was quite bored doing interviews about his RicTic / Motown / later years after he had been a UK resident for 5+ years ..... BUT ... I asked if I could interview him about his Cleveland years and he got his manager to ring me up & arrange a time for us to meet.
He answered all my questions as best he could [[his memory had faded down the years) & I ended up with a decent piece.
I asked him about doing a book and he said that he would never do one [[biography) himself. I think there were too many events he didn't want to recall again.

Sotosound
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
I regret that I never got to see Edwin live. But I have a feeling that he only rarely did shows in the states by the time I became interested in Motown [[mid 1980s).

Jeff

I saw Edwin live when he supported Marvin Gaye in 1980 at the London Palladium and, to be honest, he blew Marvin away. This was at a time when Marvin was having serious drug issues and had also lost a lot of weight. Edwin really got the audience going but Marvin just didn't seem able to connect.

lakedistrictlad1
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I remember a college friend got me a signed photo of Edwin for my birthday in 1985.
The picture was of him stood on the roof of what looked like a castle [[could it have been his home here in the U.K?) with a huge smile and playing the guitar.
I lost it at some point. What a shame. He actually wrote 'To Phil - Happy birthday'.
What a man!

jaybs
04-06-2013, 05:56 AM
I asked him about doing a book and he said that he would never do one [[biography) himself. I think there were too many events he didn't want to recall again.

Yes I interviewed him in his Warrington Hotel on one of his many visits which were always sell outs! so easy to get on with no problems with questions, but I never asked about a biography at that time.

Edwin did that many concerts for us at Radio City, some at the Liverpool Empire, but also a lot in outside tent events we did at Town Show's, no one I ever met was as a professional and as I have said many times his own band were the tightest I have ever seen in my life, what a Truly Great Man!

honest man
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
[Yes what a wonderful unassuming man he was, i remember going to see him at a local pub on the wirral,he sat at the table and people were asking him questions he answered to them .sat there while dj played songs, he was the top of the bill,you would not have believed a true legend and gentleman,god bless him,hopefully we will get a decent anthology on Edwin one day,cheers

rovereab
04-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Just wondering how many Ric-Tic and Motown albums were released and, assuming there are vaulted songs, if there is at least enough for a 2CD Anthology.

jsmith
04-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Edwin [[Charles Hatcher) back in his Cleveland days [[Feb 59) ......