PDA

View Full Version : Baby it's love by diana ross

test

captainjames
04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I have always loved this song by Diana Ross from her "Everything Is Everything" album/Cd. It just seem to be the one tune that always stood out for me as if it didn't belong on the album. The background vocals always caught my ear. I have learned that they were recorded in Detroit at Hitsville while the lead vocals were done in California. Any idea why the background vocals were done and Detroit and who are they ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoyk1342_k

jobeterob
04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Just an opinion, but I always thought this was the most obvious single on that album. I've never heard anyone else single it out before.

Methuselah2
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Haven't heard this one in about 40 years. Really enjoyable to hear it now. Thanks so much, CaptainJames. I completely agree with Jobeterob--it sure sounded like the single release from that album to me, too.

LuvHangOva
04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm with u guys. Baby It's Love is my favorite cut on Everything Is Everything. It's pretty close to pop record perfection [[to my ears)

davidh
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
always thought it was one of the best songs on the album. had a Bacharach feel to me.now i have to go and have a listen again

reese
04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I always thought the song had sort of a Marvin Gaye-vibe to it, with the sax and all. I think Anna Gaye has a writer's credit on it. Maybe Marvin helped [[uncredited) as well?

That said, MY PLACE was always my favorite. :-)

Jaap
04-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Marvin Gaye is credited too [[as is Charles Laskey). The liner notes of the expanded edition note that the overdubs for the song were done back to back with "What's Going On", suggesting that it is most likely that Eli Fountain performed the alto saxophone on both...

Personally, I prefer the Hal Davis produced tracks on Everything is Everything. With due respect to Deke Richards [[he was a great songwriter), as a producer on Diana Ross he tended to go a bit over the top and too schmaltzy for my personal taste. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the alternate versions of “We Need You” and “Leave A Little Room” on the extended edition of Touch Me In The Morning, without the rather hysterical background vocals which, as the liner notes read, were added by Deke Richards.

captainjames
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone for responding - I'm sorry but I always favored this song too and played it over and over and over. Now does anyone have any idea who are on those background vocals ?

nathanj06
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
A good song but I always favored "My Place" as a single. I also like her version of "The Long & Winding Road". The timing of this album with "Remember Me" not on it was so peculiar. I've read the story but surprised Gordy left this happen so early in her solo career. On top of that you have "I'm Still Waiting" released in the U.K. and becomes a hit. They release it here almost a year later and it does nothing. I am clueless who the background vocals were. I didn't see anything in the expanded edition about it. Hopefully someone can answer that for you.

jobeterob
04-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Well I thought the beginning background vocals sounded very Andante-like ~ the Andante sound we have come to know.

Wasn't My Place scheduled for release as a single?

nathanj06
04-03-2013, 06:35 AM
I wish it would have been jobeterob instead of Reach Out I'll Be There. Album track yes, single no. I've never read that it was scheduled for a single but an obvious standout.

captainjames
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks Rob
I hear the Andantes as well but I thought I heard another familiar sounding voice but maybe its just my "old" ears. I will ask the Andantes if they remember singing on this one.

Well I thought the beginning background vocals sounded very Andante-like ~ the Andante sound we have come to know.

Wasn't My Place scheduled for release as a single?