PDA

View Full Version : The BEST single-disc Temptations Collection???

test

Ngroove
04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Greetings Motown-Maniacs like myself! Once accumulated every single "Ultimate Collections", still hold my "Complete Motown Number Ones" and "Hitsville USA: the Complete Motown Singles".

But, as everyone I'm sure experiences every full-moon, everything, sooner or later, does not last forever. Eventually, discs, tapes, vinyl, whatever, scratches, and possibly the next thing ya know, it skips, scratchy sounds, or warps.

Beginning to seriously think about re-"rejuvenating" my Motown music collection now, the replacement of some CDs I still have that's over ten years old!

Thinking about replacement, through inexpensive, mid-budget, single disc collections, so when their time has reached as well another someday, it would be just as inexpensive to replace them again, rather than spend another forty-to near two hundred [[the $$$ paid for Complete Motown No.1s) for extravagant big-box sets, that even they wear someday, or even a few tracks the day ya' open it!

Temptations-wise, yes, I still have my Emperors of Soul 5-disc set that essentially has their everything and then some over the course of their career from 1959-1994. It had a good run the years treasured, but, countless numbers of scratches noticeable each disc, and even some tracks unable to play, depreciating re-listenable value of collection. Looking for a single disc to "replace" that may be quite the "downgrade", but this time, if it has a decently hearty enough number of their fun hits, to listen, to "groove", to even "sing along" to, it'll be all good.

Yes, aware, like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, it's a next to impossible feat to have the Tempts' entire career in a single disc, but as long as it has:

- The Way You Do the Things You Do
- My Girl
- Get Ready
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg
- Beauty's Only Skin-Deep
- [[I Know) I'm Losing You
- I Wish It Would Rain
- Cloud Nine
- I Can't Get Next To You
- Psychadelic Shack
- Ball of Confusion
- Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)
- Papa Was A Rollin' Stone

at least most of them, and possibly then somes [[ Since I Lost My Baby, All I Need, ect). Sadly, always notice "Ultimate Collection" and "Definitive Collection" is noticeably ommitting "Beauty's Only Skin-Deep" and "Number Ones" is ommitting "Cloud Nine".

soulster
04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
But, as everyone I'm sure experiences every full-moon, everything, sooner or later, does not last forever. Eventually, discs, tapes, vinyl, whatever, scratches, and possibly the next thing ya know, it skips, scratchy sounds, or warps.

Nope! I have, maybe two record albums that skip, and the first CD I bought back in 1984 looks and sounds as good as the day I bought it.:cool:

Thinking about replacement, through inexpensive, mid-budget, single disc collections, so when their time has reached as well another someday, it would be just as inexpensive to replace them again, rather than spend another forty-to near two hundred [[the $$$ paid for Complete Motown No.1s) for extravagant big-box sets, that even they wear someday, or even a few tracks the day ya' open it!

CDs don't wear out. Records should last as long as they are taken care of.

Temptations-wise, yes, I still have my Emperors of Soul 5-disc set that essentially has their everything and then some over the course of their career from 1959-1994. It had a good run the years treasured, but, countless numbers of scratches noticeable each disc, and even some tracks unable to play, depreciating re-listenable value of collection. Looking for a single disc to "replace" that may be quite the "downgrade", but this time, if it has a decently hearty enough number of their fun hits, to listen, to "groove", to even "sing along" to, it'll be all good.

I think it's worth it to replace it with another copy and make CD-R copies of it to make sure it stays good.

Yes, aware, like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, it's a next to impossible feat to have the Tempts' entire career in a single disc, but as long as it has:

- The Way You Do the Things You Do
- My Girl
- Get Ready
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg
- Beauty's Only Skin-Deep
- [[I Know) I'm Losing You
- I Wish It Would Rain
- Cloud Nine
- I Can't Get Next To You
- Psychadelic Shack
- Ball of Confusion
- Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)
- Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
No such single CD exists with those specific songs, but give me a day or so, and i'll see if all of those songs will fit on one CD-R. I think they will.

Ngroove
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Tis' Alright Soulster; but I truly appreciate your advice, and thank you for responding.

Record in CD-Rs, huh? Such a common method of music preservation, yet gosh, I can't believe I've forgotten about that for so long!

Perhaps, if no such "perfect" singular discs exist; the two volumes of the Temptations "Millennium Collections" [[ a trusted budget brand that I've gotten my Mary Wells, Four Tops and Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, before I've found their Ultimate Collections) may suffice. Yes, it'll be two discs than one, but it'll be still, on Amazon prices, cheaper than a single Ultimate Collection bought in the mall back in the day hahaha.

soulster
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm all about rolling my own, as it were. Well, I don't even bother witrh CD-R anymore. I just archive my homemeade digital collections to hard drives.

To preserve what you have left, it would do you good to back up your CDs in some manner. There is a free program that may rip your CDs and repair the scratches. It's called Exact Audio Copy, or EAC, and it is a Windows program. I do not think there is a Mac version, but you'd have to check. It sounds like you've trashed your CDs pretty good for them to be skippin'!

My 7000+ CDs are in mint condition and I ripped them all to a server, and keep the originals in boxes for safe keeping. There are soooo many CDs you can no longer buy or find, so this is highly important. I believe it is our duty as music collectors to help preserve our musical history. We can't assume the record labels will always have the music, or can reissue them in the future. Fires and floods happen, and have. The most recent one was just a few years ago at Universal Studios in California. Countless numbers of classic films and music master tapes were stored there and destroyed. Atlantic lost multitrack tapes back in a warehouse fire in 1978 or 1979. Now, all they have are mostly mono and stereo tapes of scores of classic music from the 50s and 60s, and part of the 70s, with no way to remix anything. Many times, what is on digital today is all there is. You got a bunch of records? Get a turntable and a computer. Got tapes? Get a tape player and back those tapes up!

I will often buy a CD of something recently released that i'm interested in, but I can't count on the labels to do it for us, and not compress the shit out of it, so I hunt down used records and do it myself. I taught myself how just for this reason. In fact, I got into computers just so I could do this. I found a few classic Motown Jermaine Jackson albums last night in a store. I'm not going to wait five years for UMe to decide if they are ever going to get the opportunity, so I have to do it myself.

Kamasu_Jr
04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I was curious to know how CDs are getting scratched? I have discs that I purchased a dozen years ago and they look like new.

theboyfromxtown
04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Only a dozen!

I got socks older than that!