View Full Version : Glenn Leonard's Temptations Revue promotional video

test

revvy
03-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Great stuff! These guys are goooooood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaF_lDKV9E

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Personally, what makes Glenn Leonard any different than Lynda Lawrence? He was not a Temptation that most would remember. He wasn't in the group that long; He didn't score any of the major hits, but he has parlayed his time in the group into a tribute revue. Why is it OK for him, but Ms. Lawrence is doing something wrong? I see the hypocrisy and hateration at play here. But I get it, Glenn Leonard didn't volunteer to go on tour with Diana Ross.

marv2
03-31-2013, 03:56 AM
Personally, what makes Glenn Leonard any different than Lynda Lawrence? He was not a Temptation that most would remember. He wasn't in the group that long; He didn't score any of the major hits, but he has parlayed his time in the group into a tribute revue. Why is it OK for him, but Ms. Lawrence is doing something wrong? I see the hypocrisy and hateration at play here. But I get it, Glenn Leonard didn't volunteer to go on tour with Diana Ross.

There are some major, major differences between's Glenn Carl Leonard's work and tenure at Motown vs Lynda Lawrence's short stint as a Supreme.

Glenn was with the Temptations for 8 years [[1975-83). Laurence was a "Supreme" for something like 16-18 months [[1972-73).

Glenn sang lead on several Temptations songs including this one:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?8522-Rare-Clip-The-Temptations-quot-Every-Ready-Love-quot-1978!

and he was one of the leads on one the Temptations most popular recordings, 1980's "Silent Night".

There are no known recordings from Motown with Lynda Laurence singing lead.

Glenn recorded 8 or 9 albums with the Temptations. Ms. Laurence recorded one studio album and one live album [[released only in Japan) with the Supremes.

Both Glenn and Lynda participated in reunion tours, the exception being the one Glenn was a part of was highly successful. Lynda's? No so much........it was very publicly cancelled!

So there are some very distinct differences as to why we would view Glenn Carl Leonard as a former Temptation based on his contributions. It is not about hate.

Marv

jobeterob
03-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Maybe not hate, but how about foolish teenage girl tomfoolery? Or hypocrisy?

marv2
03-31-2013, 04:41 AM

You just have a problem with the truth.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 04:47 AM
I agree. Ms. Lawrence was under contract to Motown as a Supreme and is rightly recognized as a Supreme. Sixteen, 18 months or 8 years....they are just numbers. Leonard sang or co-lead a song that's played once a year. Ron Tyson has been a Temptation longer than Glenn Leonard was. The only thing Lynda did was criticize a Supreme who foolishly turned down money that she could have used or retired comfortably on. It is foolishness.

revvy
03-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Oh my, I didn't expect this thread to go south so soon. I posted it because I thought you all should see how good these guys are! Didn't mean to stir up trouble [[at least on this thread!) :)

...and, for the record, Mary and Cindy accepted the promoter's final offer and it was turned down by Diana.

marv2
03-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Oh my, I didn't expect this thread to go south so soon. I posted it because I thought you all should see how good these guys are! Didn't mean to stir up trouble [[at least on this thread!) :)

...and, for the record, Mary and Cindy accepted the promoter's final offer and it was turned down by Diana.

"the train has already left the station......................".

thommg
03-31-2013, 07:21 PM

Mr. Leonard clearly indicates that he is a tribute review, though he has a strong connection with the Temptations. For Ms. Lawrence, there is no difference, until the Former Ladies get billed as The Supremes. Then I have a problem.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
My point was both Glenn Leonard and Lynda Lawrence were members, replacements in two successful musical groups for however long and both are still carrying on the legacies of those groups. I don't see the point in praising one and villifying the other. That's just my opinion.

stephanie
04-01-2013, 12:43 AM
this is so funny because when I saw this thread the first person I thought of was Lynda Lawrence when I saw Glenn Leonards name. However I was shocked because I am not a big enough of a Temps fan to know the length of his tenure but I knew it was long enough it didnt have to be billed as a revue and then I thought of Dennis Edwards and I knew even though he was a lead voice he has to use the term revue because of legal reasons as Mr Leonard does. When I saw this I thought Glenn Leonard is known amongst die hard Temps fans but he certainly doesnt have to bill himself as a revue neither does Ms Lawrence for that matter, neither does Dennis Edwards because they are members they are not a tribute group which does not have a member who has been in the group. However because Otis owns the name they have to do this and legally so. What made me almost spill juice on my computer was the breakdown Marv gave. Whether you like it or not Marv broke it down....LOL

marv2
04-01-2013, 12:47 AM
this is so funny because when I saw this thread the first person I thought of was Lynda Lawrence when I saw Glenn Leonards name. However I was shocked because I am not a big enough of a Temps fan to know the length of his tenure but I knew it was long enough it didnt have to be billed as a revue and then I thought of Dennis Edwards and I knew even though he was a lead voice he has to use the term revue because of legal reasons as Mr Leonard does. When I saw this I thought Glenn Leonard is known amongst die hard Temps fans but he certainly doesnt have to bill himself as a revue neither does Ms Lawrence for that matter, neither does Dennis Edwards because they are members they are not a tribute group which does not have a member who has been in the group. However because Otis owns the name they have to do this and legally so. What made me almost spill juice on my computer was the breakdown Marv gave. Whether you like it or not Marv broke it down....LOL

Stephanie, you know it is a bit ironic because The FLO's were on the same show with Glenn Leonards' group, the show from the clips in the Scherrie & Lynda thread. They were originally suppose to have done the show's with Richard Streets Temptations group, but when Richard passed, they scheduled Glenn's group as a replacement.

marv2
04-01-2013, 12:50 AM
What made me almost spill juice on my computer was the breakdown Marv gave. Whether you like it or not Marv broke it down....LOL

Stephanie, these guys force me to do this stuff! You have one guy claiming that 18 months is as substanial or significant as 8 years and perhaps 10 albums! LOL!!!! Geez......

Kamasu_Jr
04-01-2013, 03:02 PM
We may be able to quote numbers or cite months of tenure, but what we don't know is the dedication, amount of hard work, commitment and energy that these people gave to these groups, the fans, etc. These things count for something. They are both doing the same thing, earning a living from the legacies of groups neither founded, but were members of. Period. I don't care how they bill themselves today. I do know both Glenn Leonard and Lynda Lawrence were members of the Temptations and Supremes respectively. Should either still earn livings off the memries or names of their former groups is someone else's problem.

BayouMotownMan
04-01-2013, 03:28 PM
It's really about whomever owns the rights to the group names. Mary Wilson signed away her rights to the name Supremes 20+ years ago. I think Otis still owns part of the name Temptations if not all of it. As Mary Wilson found out 10 years ago, if you sue people using a name that you do not own, it can break you. However right or wrong, morally or legally, it's up to the owners to prevent these people from working under the umbrella of a famous group name. So far, it doesn't appear to do that.