PDA

View Full Version : The Philadelphians-looking for group info

test

robb_k
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
The Philadelphians [[early '60s Philadelphia R&B/Soul male harmony group) recorded for Cameo and Campus Records.

They were produced by Steve Schulman on Campus Records, and had other writers [[Styles, Gordon and Lewis [[presumably 3 of the 4 group members?). I'm guessing that was Philadelphia singer. songwriter and producer, Johnny Styles' group. Am I on the right track?

Too bad Weldon passed on, and Bobby Eli is no longer here. Do we have any early '60s Philly experts now?

Anyone know who the group members were?

robb_k
03-31-2013, 12:14 AM
I know now that Gordon and Lewis were other Philadelphia record/artist promoters and writers, but not singers. Do Johnny Styles may or may not be the one and only group member identified, so far.

manny
03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
I knows only about "Johnny STILES" [[not "StYles") from whom John A. Jackson explains on the book "A House On Fire..." he was a owner member of the DynoDynamics label [[jointly with Weldon McDougal and Luther Randolph) and played as a studio musician backing The Larks. It's possibly that "Stiles" and "Styles" were two different people or not...

robb_k
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
I know now that Big John Bowie was The Philadelphians' tenor lead sunger, and that they also had a record out on Gutden Records in 1963,

nosey
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow Rob, you're a mind reader. I was just thinking about them some months ago and my buddy, Dennis made me a CD with their local hit, "Coming Home to You" on it. I didn't think anybody knew about them. That song was one of the songs guys tried to sing on the corner. There's an accapella version on youtube by a group called Quiet Storm but it's not the original. The song was up once but it's since been taken down. Oh the memories..........

nosey
05-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Rob, found this on youtube. This was more than likely a local hit and this is the song all the guys tried to sing because the background would really showcase their voices. Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct5R2sFJuHk

robb_k
05-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks. I bought that record new in 1963. In addition, I also have their other Campus record, their Cameo record and their 45 on Guyden records. As they were a Philadelphia group, and I was in Chicago, I didn't know anything about them, other than that "Big John" Bowie was their lead singer. I just wanted to find out who the other group members were, and more about the group.

mark speck
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
John Bowie is known to the Northern crowd for his rarity on Merben, "You're Gonna Miss a Good Thing [[Baby)". He also had a record on Phil-L.A. of Soul as well.

Best,

Mark

nosey
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Robb, found this on the net for you....
http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/topic/135-john-bowie-info-etc/

robb_k
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks. I had already seen that. This started with another thread I participated on on Soul Source Forum. I already knew about Gordon. We still need the names of the 3 other group members [[having only first names of 2 of them).

nosey
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Dang, I should have known you would know this already. Will keep looking.