PDA

View Full Version : a motown magazine

test

mowsville
03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
ive been thinking this for a while now...theres a guy on ebay who makes repro picture sleeves for motown 45s and they are stunning but the bids sometimes are a little pricey...was thinking he should hook up with a company that does these fortnightly/monthly magazines...you know the ones like the marvel figures collection...where you would get say 2 repro picture sleeves a fortnight and the mag would give you all relevant information on the artist /producer/writer etc to coincide with the 45s with binders to house the mags in...what a great collection it would be and how cool would our 45s look all housed in authentic looking motown pic sleeves...I know there probably wouldn't be enough buyers for this to become a reality but im sure it would encourage the younger generation to take an interest in motown too..what do you think folks?

Kamasu_Jr
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't get it. What would collectors get? And what if there were no picture sleeve for a certain single? And doesn't those Motown Singles sets kind of fit the bill?

mowsville
03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
collectors would get a picture sleeve for every single that was released...im not talking of just reproductions of the picture sleeves that have been released but new ones totally made up like the ones for sale on ebay that look like authentic 60s picture sleeves...plus a collectable magazine that gives information on all aspects that relate to the particular single that the picture sleeve has been made for...and its nothing like the motown single sets.

Kamasu_Jr
03-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I've never seen these reproductions of picture sleeves. I'd be interested in seeing one.

mowsville
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
if you go on u.k ebay and type in motown picture sleeves you will see that he has 3 for sale at the moment...they are the Detroit spinners i'll always love you,stevie wonder a place in the sun and jnr walker and the all stars shotgun...I have purchased a few in the past and they really do compliment the singles...and each one is done in the style of the britsh e.ps that were released in the 60s

mowsville
03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
sorry its the Detroit spinners sweet thing

Kamasu_Jr
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I checked it out. You know, I bid on one of these sleeves once thinking it was authentic. I didn't win, but didn't realize it was a reproduction.

mowsville
03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
that what I mean...that's how good they are...he also does picture sleeves for usa singles that keep to the same design as the ones commercially released...I have a few supremes ones.

mysterysinger
03-30-2013, 10:04 PM
The sleeves are a work of art [[and clearly a work of love) but they always stretch the Tamla Motown logo too much on the front cover such that it's an obvious mock up whereas the logo on the rear cover is of the correct dimensions [[probably a direct copy from a real sleave). Also watch out for mistakes - they did a Roy Orbison one and got the title of "Mean Woman Blues" as "Mean Women Blues". Might be a small difference as a word but it doesn't take a lot of research to get right.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 02:44 AM
These sleeves should not sell for as much as they do. The bidding bothers me. They aren't authentic. The artist is walking a thin line between dishonesty and creativity. Not everyone will bother to find out they are reproductions. Why not just make a few and sell them at a set price adding that they are reproductions? Mowsville, I get your idea now. It would be more honest.

mowsville
03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
mysterysinger I agree ..and I have also noted once or twice that there have been mistakes..like "love gone bad" instead of "loves gone bad" by Chris clark...he uses some real obscure/rare pictures too to make the sleeves tho...and Kamasu glad you get my idea now :-)

mysterysinger
03-31-2013, 01:03 PM
They are good if you accept them for what they obviously are - the sort of thing you might do yourself. But I wish they'd get the logo right and do some proper research on titles etc. Otherwise they are just amateurish. Agree about the pictures and they could be pleasing if there weren't such annoying faults.

Ngroove
03-31-2013, 03:12 PM
ive been thinking this for a while now...theres a guy on ebay who makes repro picture sleeves for motown 45s and they are stunning but the bids sometimes are a little pricey...was thinking he should hook up with a company that does these fortnightly/monthly magazines...you know the ones like the marvel figures collection...where you would get say 2 repro picture sleeves a fortnight and the mag would give you all relevant information on the artist /producer/writer etc to coincide with the 45s with binders to house the mags in...what a great collection it would be and how cool would our 45s look all housed in authentic looking motown pic sleeves...I know there probably wouldn't be enough buyers for this to become a reality but im sure it would encourage the younger generation to take an interest in motown too..what do you think folks?

Are we talkin' just sleeves, or authentic-looking sleeves, with reproduction 45s that actually plays with it? If latter, that would be even BETTER.

mowsville
04-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Ngroove...I thought of both....just like the 45s we got with cmsc

Ngroove
04-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Ngroove...I thought of both....just like the 45s we got with cmsc

GRRR-REAT!

Always more of a "not just look at it, but use it" kinda guy, and would be neat to have the next to-"real things" for a decent price, and without the scratches and hisses hahahaha. Andddd, finishes on the end [[as I've managed to find an actual "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" 45, Marvin's voice crystal clear, best Grapevine I've ever heard, yet stopped at the middle of "Honey, Honey, I know - That you're letting me go") .

YES, I could just as easily play those songs on CD / itunes, but it's just as fun placing on the turntable, playin' on it's original format.