PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendation on Best Lossless Format?

test

thanxal
03-30-2013, 11:15 AM
I recently noticed that I've been completely inconsistent over the years when ripping CDs and as a result have some of my music collection in MP3 80kbps [[which sounds crappy), some 128/ some 190/some 256 and some in Apple Lossless.

I am embarking on a complete library clean up [[over 1,000 CDs) which will probably take a year to re-rip all the discs. I want to go completely and consistently lossless and would like thoughts on what the best lossless format. These will play on pretty pedestrian, but not completely crap home audio equipment [[Yamaha RX-V590 amp) and Sennheiser HD 280 headphones and Shure SE425 earbuds.

[[Note: I have all Apple - iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Classic on which these will play. Regardless of what you think of Apple products, that's what these will play on - please don't start a Mac vs. PC war).

soulster
03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Your obvious choice for lossless is AAC lossless.

I use FLAC.

The good thing is that as long as you stay lossless, you can convert it to any other lossless file and not lose sound quality. You can even make lossy [[mp3, AAC lossy, Oog, wma) from them.

What I do is rip to FLAC for home listening, and make 320 kbps mp3 copies for the car or whatever. When I need a CD-R of something, I use the FLAC files.

One more thing: back up your music!