PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves & the Vandellas '50th Anniversary: The Singles' - DISC 1 GLITCH

test

hwume
03-30-2013, 11:09 AM
While recognizing the multiple threads on the new releases, I felt it necessary to separate out this notice:

On the first manufacturing run of the new release's Disc 1, the track "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" has a clipped intro. We've traced back what happened and there seems to be no specific, logical explanation; the bottom line is that the error has been fixed and UMe/UMG Select is offering replacement discs. Later production runs will include the corrected master.

Email me/us at classic.motown@umusic.com for yours, should you need one.

HW

Calv1971
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh dear - it had to be on this song. Hopefully the one pre-ordered from Amazon will be a later production run. I am as excited about having this b-side single version on CD as much as the previously unreleased tracks!

Kamasu_Jr
03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
It's annoying. As much as these sets cost there is usully some sort of glitch on them. These are not cheap discs that we can take back to the store and exchange. We have to pay above average price for these sets, wait weeks for them to get shipped to us and if there's a manufacturing problem, we have to send a set back for an exchange. Why not make sure they are right the first time? That's aggravating to me personally. I paid big bucks for a Complete Motown Singles set that skips, ditto for my deluxe edition of I Hear A Symphony. This is becoming a regular thing.

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Kamasu

I hear you but you know HW will make it right for you. You only need to let him know and he'll get back to you - he's always been good to us like that.

I want you to get this set cos I'm dying for you guys to post what you think of these new tracks...I'm having a resurgence of my youth here!!

westgrandboulevard
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Forget resurgence. Your youth never left you :)

carole cucumber
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Kamasu

I hear you but you know HW will make it right for you. You only need to let him know and he'll get back to you - he's always been good to us like that.

I want you to get this set cos I'm dying for you guys to post what you think of these new tracks...I'm having a resurgence of my youth here!!

You have the set already in Great Britain? Then why are some of your countrymen lamenting that they cannot obtain it due to Hip-O's/Great Britain's restrictive rules concerning shipping?

carole cucumber
03-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Harry,
When you previewed the set with John Perrone on Nightflight, did his copy have the clipped into which none of us noticed? Or was he supplied a pre-pressing copy that did not have that glitch?
I know what John Lester says is true. When many of us received a defective disc in one of the CMSC's, a replacement copy was quickly sent out free of charge to all who contacted you.

daviddesper
03-31-2013, 12:23 AM
I received my shipping notice today, but it only included the Four Tops set and one other unrelated item I had ordered. It specifically noted that my Martha set was NOT being shipped yet. At the time I thought that was odd, since I had read that some of you had received notice that yours was on the way.

So is it possible that my copy was delayed because of this glitch and that I will get a corrected copy when the time comes? If that is what is going on, I will be disappointed in the wait of course, but very impressed by the responsibility taken.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 02:38 AM
I hope I get a glitch free copy. I still have defective copies of the fourth volume of TCMS #4 and I Hear A Symphony. I didn't think I could return them to UMG Select because I don't buy through them. Really these problems should be eliminated because these sets aren't cheap. I've heard collectors outside of the forum complain and that's not good.

calvin
03-31-2013, 07:45 AM
I hope I get a glitch free copy. I still have defective copies of the fourth volume of TCMS #4 and I Hear A Symphony. I didn't think I could return them to UMG Select because I don't buy through them. Really these problems should be eliminated because these sets aren't cheap. I've heard collectors outside of the forum complain and that's not good.

I think you should try to get replacement disks when there's a problem like this. I once bought a Universal box set over Amazon UK [[though it was not Hip-O), 2 of the 15 disks had an error in the first printing which was known to Universal. Getting replacement disks was as easy as sending Universal an email, telling them I had these disks and giving them my address - they immediately posted the replacements, it was no hassle at all.

I think this will work the same - as Harry wrote, just send an email to the address he gives above if your disk has this problem.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 09:25 AM
II will try it if I have to and it is that easy. UMg owes me on those old, glitched discs.

Ngroove
03-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Martha Reeves and the Vandellas: I'm usually just happy, in the past, getting their one-CD greatest hits CDs: in this order: Millennium Collection, to Ultimate Collection, to finding an old used Motown Command Performances disc on them when Ultimate eventually became too scratched / skipped to continue.

Yeah, "Complete Motown Singles" 3-diskers looks pretty neat, for the dedicated fan who can afford them, but inexpensive single discs [[got my eyes on their "Definitive Collection" next, since my Command Performances has recently began showing signs of wear and scratches and scratchy sounds) that has a hearty portion of their repertoire [[from "Come and Get These Memories" to "Bless You") is just as effective, all you really need, to HAVE FUN listening to them.

thommg
03-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Just ordered Martha & The Vandellas and Four Tops sets through J&R Music World in NYC. They were a pre-order as the ship date was April 2. Perhaps this means I won't have a glitchy Disc 1. Really looking forward to these sets. I love The Supremes set. So fun to listen to them grow as the years go by...

calvin
03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Btw, what were the glitches on The Complete Motown Singles and I Hear a Symphony that were referred to in this thread?

hwume
04-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Kamasu_Jr - I look forward to your email.

hwume
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Harry,
When you previewed the set with John Perrone on Nightflight, did his copy have the clipped into which none of us noticed?

YES. But JP sure noticed.

midnight johnny
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
YES. But JP sure noticed.

He SURE DID...and Harry was on it right away....I think he needs a new proof-listener [[*waving my hands wildly).

kenneth
04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
My set, which was pre-ordered from ImportCDs, had the glitch on Disk 1. Harry, I've sent you an email for a replacement. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention and for fixing it so quickly. Really appreciate it.

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Nothing major , but it is interesting that when I put disc 1 in the computer, the screen lists track, "Heatwave" as the [[Album Version [[mono)).

Also , I'm curious: why the switch from the previous single artist/group singles collection's placement of titles on the left of the disc pocket for discs 2 & 3 to the reverse side of the pockets? [[Perhaps just a simple layout error that no-one caught?) For the Diana Ross & the Supremes and the Temptations sets , a final photo was postioned on the back of the pocket of disc 3. For this set, the final photo is on the reverse side of the pocket holding disc 1, causing one's mind and hand to shift gears 1/3 way through the set.
Here I much would have preferred consistency, all song titles on the left of the corresponding disc pocket as was previously done.

MotownLover
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Received my set yesterday and am quite pleased. Just played the "glitched" song, and do indeed have a faulty version of the subject song. I sent an email off to Harry for a replacement CD moments ago.

Thanks much for advising us in advance of the glitch, Harry.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :[[

sophisticated_soul
04-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I received my copy today [[I also pre-ordered with importcds). I've played a few tracks and the sound is great. The layout of the book is absolutely beautiful with many, many wonderful photos. Great job guys! My copy does have the dreaded glitch on Disc 1. HARRY!!!!!! [["He said to e-mail not yell, dude!" "My bad"). To paraphrase the Rolling Stones:
Yeah, you got to mix it child
You got to fix it must be love
It's a glitch
You got to mix it child
You got to fix it but love
It's a glitch, alright. . .:)

johnjeb
04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Also , I'm curious: why the switch from the previous single artist/group singles collection's placement of titles on the left of the disc pocket for discs 2 & 3 to the reverse side of the pockets? [[Perhaps just a simple layout error that no-one caught?) For the Diana Ross & the Supremes and the Temptations sets , a final photo was postioned on the back of the pocket of disc 3. For this set, the final photo is on the reverse side of the pocket holding disc 1, causing one's mind and hand to shift gears 1/3 way through the set.
Here I much would have preferred consistency, all song titles on the left of the corresponding disc pocket as was previously done.

Wow! You're good. I totally missed that. I agree, it is a bit annoying.

sophisticated_soul
04-04-2013, 05:03 AM
^It appears that the three CD holders were placed in the wrong order. If you [[could) move the first holder to the end and move each CD accordingly, then the discs become color cordinated to the holder and all titles are to the left of each disc and the last holder has the photo on back.

masterblaster
04-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Btw, what were the glitches on The Complete Motown Singles and I Hear a Symphony that were referred to in this thread?

I had a glitch on volume 5, disc 5. The Tammi Terrell track "Hold Me Oh My Darling" skips when played on a CD player or downloaded to I Tunes. Didn't bother requesting a replcement as it was shipped from the US to UK but wished I had now. As said by other members, these are expensive sets and theses glitches can spoil the collection.

calvin
04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
I had a glitch on volume 5, disc 5. The Tammi Terrell track "Hold Me Oh My Darling" skips when played on a CD player or downloaded to I Tunes. Didn't bother requesting a replcement as it was shipped from the US to UK but wished I had now. As said by other members, these are expensive sets and theses glitches can spoil the collection.

Thanks for the response masterblaster.

Sorry to hear that - do you know if others had the same problem with the same disk? Mine are good, no skips, but I bought mine from Amazon UK - if it was a problem that several people complained about, it could have been fixed before the UK release [[as I guess the Martha & The Vandellas set will be). Maybe it's not too late to ask for a replacement disk? You can always try.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
04-05-2013, 03:04 AM
^It appears that the three CD holders were placed in the wrong order. If you [[could) move the first holder to the end and move each CD accordingly, then the discs become color cordinated to the holder and all titles are to the left of each disc and the last holder has the photo on back.I noticed that too. Even though you can tell it was a mistake, I think it looks better having different colored discs with different colored holders, so I don't mind the mix up. :) I love how they put a lot of full-page single sleeve pictures in the book and made the CD holders look like actual 7" singles.

Penny
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
My "Martha Reeves & The Vandellas 50th Anniversary-The Singles Collection" arrived today. I am so excited and I hope Roz and Annette make some money off of this, too. I would talk more about it but got so treated so rudely by someone I try to ignore I think I'll just keep my complaint between Ralph and me.

Have a great day.

Penny:)
Yes I do Sell AVON

PS
Some of you folks here are just terrific and I appreciate you for that. Carole Cucumber your knowledge just blows me away. Thank you for sharing.

sophisticated_soul
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I noticed that too. Even though you can tell it was a mistake, I think it looks better having different colored discs with different colored holders, so I don't mind the mix up. :) I love how they put a lot of full-page single sleeve pictures in the book and made the CD holders look like actual 7" singles.

I really like the full page picture sleeves too. I really like the quality of the paper they used for the book, it's thick and slick, but not overly glossy. The whole physical presentation of the set is great. I really like the color scheme, simple but classy. The sound is great and music speaks for itself. Take a bow, you guys knocked another one out of the park! Thanks again!:)

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Um, would happen to have a replacement disc 3 as well would ya?.....LOL

Motown Eddie
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
While recognizing the multiple threads on the new releases, I felt it necessary to separate out this notice:

On the first manufacturing run of the new release's Disc 1, the track "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" has a clipped intro. We've traced back what happened and there seems to be no specific, logical explanation; the bottom line is that the error has been fixed and UMe/UMG Select is offering replacement discs. Later production runs will include the corrected master.

Email me/us at classic.motown@umusic.com for yours, should you need one.

HW

Thanks for posting this; I got one of the copies with the defect on "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" and I've just sent an e-mail requesting a corrected replacement for disc one of the new Vandellas set.

thanxal
04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I just want to publicly thank George, Harry and Andy for producing such unbelievable sets. I originally was only going to get the Vandellas and Tops, but once the Tops set came, it was so beautiful, so well done and so great to hear the original mono release mixes [[or as close as could be expected) that I went ahead and bought the Supremes and Tempts, even tho I have so much duplication of their stuff. If your strategy was to make these so great that fans needed to buy all of them, it surely worked on me!
THANK YOU for all your care and effort!

kenneth
04-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I agree with Thanxal. The Vandellas set was the first of these I have bought but the Mono mixes are so crisp and clear it's almost like hearing these tracks again for the first time.

Carlo, ButteredPopcornandsoforth and I were chatting on another thread, and we were commenting that we always preferred the Mono mixes even back when Stereo was still fairly new. Often the Stereo mixes sounded quite thin compared to the Mono, even on the earliest "Greatest Hits" sets from the late 60s.

I am now tempted to buy the other sets in the Hip-O series as well.

I think the Vandellas "Live Wire" set was pretty well mastered when it came out but I have the "Fourever" set by the Tops and the sound is not very well done, seems very poorly mastered and sometimes the backgrounds even sound shrill or screechy. So in spite of the fact that this Vandellas set enticed me with the bonus disk, I think I will likely have the other sets in my collection very soon.