PDA

View Full Version : Marv Johnson - I Miss You Baby [[How I Miss You)

test

texassoul
03-30-2013, 05:29 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AeafbjwJB-c

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Texassoul.......you're far too clever for me.

I only use my mobile [[aka cell phone) as a telephone!

westgrandboulevard
03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Half awake the other morning, I found myself using mine as a shaver.....:rolleyes:

marv2
03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Love this song, except the background singers were not used correctly in my opinion.

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Half awake the other morning, I found myself using mine as a shaver.....:rolleyes:

lololololol

westgrandboulevard
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Agreed marv, it's a great recording - but yes, it's quirky.

In places, it sounds almost like two songs playing at the same time.

While I like the way the male and female background singers trade off each other, I'm still interested to know how you would arrange them.....?

marv2
03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Agreed marv, it's a great recording - but yes, it's quirky.

In places, it sounds almost like two songs playing at the same time.

While I like the way the male and female background singers trade off each other, I'm still interested to know how you would arrange them.....?

They should have only used the males voices as Marv Johnson is more of a tenor. The male voices should have been used only as "shading" , harmony and not singing lyrics as much as in this recording. They should have been used to Marv's higher pitch and to smooth things out. Similar to how the Dells were used to support Barbara Lewis on her early recordings.

westgrandboulevard
03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
OK, I'd agree with that. I like what they did, and the rhythmic interaction between the voices, but the result could also be said to compete for the listener's attention.

I'm not a very great fan of Marv Johnson's voice [[to me it's a tad too light a tenor, almost reedy) but it could still be presented to best effect with the right arrangements, and underscored by discreet background voices.