PDA

View Full Version : Deke Richards RIP

test

jboy88
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
It was just announced on twitter via Classic Motown. No further details however. What a shock, especially this close to the release of the Vandellas set.

Penny
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
It was just announced on twitter via Classic Motown. No further details however. What a shock, especially this close to the release of the Vandellas set.

Oh my God I hope this isn't true. He is a legend and such a talent. This news brings tears of grief.

Penny:[[

Penny
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
It is on CNN International for sure. I am just sick about this news.

I am so sorry and offer my condolences to Mr. Richards family. May he rest in peace

Penny:[[

Kamasu_Jr
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
What sad news. He will surely be missed on the forum. He was so patient and giving of himself, just a kind person. He had some incredible memories. This is just too much. May he rest in heavenly peace.

thomas96
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
This is just terrible. RIP Mr Richards.

jillfoster
03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Wow. I mean, we've been discussing him, he was working on Martha's set just months ago. Much condolences to his family. He was a great producer.

nomis
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
very,very sad news..

thommg
03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
This news saddens me greatly. Aside from all of the music, Mr. Richards was very free with details of his work which made me enjoy his vision even more. Thank you for all the sounds, Deke, and may you rest in peace.

johnjeb
03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
From CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/25/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/deke-richards-obit/index.html?hpt=en_c2

[[CNN) -- Deke Richards, a producer and songwriter who was part of the team responsible for Motown hits like "I Want You Back" and "Maybe Tomorrow," died Sunday at age 68, according to a press release from Universal Music. He had been battling esophageal cancer.

Richards was leader of "The Corporation," Motown's songwriting and producing team that was also made up of Barry Gordy, Alphonzo Mizell and Freddie Perren. The group wrote several hits for the Jackson 5, including "ABC" and "The Love You Save."

Richards co-wrote "Love Child" for Diana Ross & The Supremes, which went on to be a No. 1 hit.

Later in life, he worked on several projects, including the Jackson 5's "Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls," which was a 2012 release featuring rare and unreleased tracks by the group. His final project was mixing eight unreleased tracks by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas for the forthcoming box set "50th Anniversary: The Singles 1962-1972."

A private family celebration is planned. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking for donations to help musical education via the HAL Awards' site.

luke
03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Very Sad. RIP Deke.

Glenpwood
03-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Thankful for all the music he gave us and how those songs and productions added to the legacy of all the artists he worked with. Rest in peace.....

marv2
03-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Farewell Deke! Thanks for all the great music and songs. Rest in peace.

Marv

Ngroove
03-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Thank you, Deke, for your part in Fully Introducing to the World, the melodies of Michael Jackson.

davidh
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
i am shocked.RIP. you will be missed.you had us all singing along to your songs.deepest sympathy

stephanie
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I just saw this on Yahoo news I didnt even know he was sick. RIP man he talked to me once via email a few times but this is just a shock. RIP Deke.

zebop
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Very sad to see this, I liked reading the stuff he wrote on here. RIP.

Roberta75
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Free from cancer and home with the Lord. I thank you for all the Jackson 5 music Mr Richards. As the book of John rightly predicts:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment but has passed from death to life"

Roberta

stephanie
03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I remember when I talked to him via email and he sent me a cd of We Need You from the Diana Ross --Touch Me in the Morning album and I was touched he would even do that. He told me he was selling and collecting old movie posters now and that was his living. Motown was a job to him but he said he enjoyed every minute of it.

franjoy56
03-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Very sad to see this, I liked reading the stuff he wrote on here. RIP.

I loved Deke Richards work in the early 70's especially as part of the clan earlier, and on his own with works by the Jackson 5, and also work on Martha & The Vandellas "Black Magic" album wasn't he part of the corporation. His individaul work on Diana' "Everything is Everything" was wonderful. He will be missed what was his sign in name on this cite.
RIP Master Deke.

sophisticated_soul
03-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Rest In Peace Deke Richards. Thank you for the music.

gary_james
03-26-2013, 02:17 AM
I'll never forget following his story about writing Love Child here, I was riveted. He was very kind for visiting and sharing his memories with us. R.I.P.

paul_nixon
03-26-2013, 02:57 AM
A dear generous friend and colleague....a man with a big heart ...he will be missed.

thisoldheart
03-26-2013, 03:07 AM
peace, mr. richards ...

mysterysinger
03-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Terrible news! What a sad loss.

mjdestiny
03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Sad news ....rest in peace Deke

cheekylincs
03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
So sad to hear this news and shocked too - I had no idea he was ill! Seems ironic that his last work was with I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing which was also his first project for Motown

no_place_like_motown
03-26-2013, 08:20 AM
I was in shock when I read about his passing earlier this morning.

Thanks Deke for all the great recordings and for the informative stories you shared with us here at SDF. May you rest in eternal peace.

1382hitsville
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I hope and pray his friends, family and loved ones can find some comfort in knowing that Mr Richards touched many lives all over the world and will be remembered.

For now, I wish them all the best.

As his family requests:
http://www.halawards.com/

motony
03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
very sad news, this morning. Rest In Peace, Deke. Sincere condolences to his friends & family!

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1748.html?1042799727

Recollections of Deke on SDF from 10 years ago

midnight johnny
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1748.html?1042799727

Recollections of Deke on SDF from 10 years ago
John....thanks very much for that link to the archived Deke thread. I've just been journeying back in time...rereading...we were so much younger then. Deke was so bright...charming...funny...and he had such a way with words...sad that he never got a book written...it would have been historically important as far as Motown.
John

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
John....thanks very much for that link to the archived Deke thread. I've just been journeying back in time...rereading...we were so much younger then. Deke was so bright...charming...funny...and he had such a way with words...sad that he never got a book written...it would have been historically important as far as Motown.
John

When he wrote the Love Child chapters, Deke half-promised he would be writing a book but it didn't happen. This is why the SDF threads must be kept for all time as they are an important part of our legacy to future generations

RossHolloway
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Such sad news. It's been a hard year on Motown alums.

stephanie
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
When I saw this on Yahoo News and other sources I see people who are not fans making statements and they are learning about who Deke is. Im so glad to see he is getting recognized. Some recognize him as part of the Corporation and people remember that from the J5 days. Deke they know who you are now!!!

GrtGzu
03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
OMG....What stories!! What a Legend!

When I saw the news on yahoo this a.m., I had no idea who he was....I'm glad I learned something today.....

I wonder if it's possible that someone from his family could take his stories and put them into a book?

I'm spending my lunch hour reading "This Ol' Thread".....Thanks for passing it along...

Hotspurman
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I heard the sad news of Deke's passing earlier today - I knew he was ill but didn't realise it was quite so serious or his death would be so soon after I was told. This is such a great loss, for Deke was a wonderful talent and a supreme storyteller and will be sadly missed by us all.

JimBagley
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I am grateful to Deke for the music he created and the stories he shared on Soulful Detroit. He will be missed. RIP Deke.

Jim

lg_nilsson
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I am so sad to hear this.
R.I.P. Deke
Lars

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
OMG....What stories!! What a Legend!

When I saw the news on yahoo this a.m., I had no idea who he was....I'm glad I learned something today.....

I wonder if it's possible that someone from his family could take his stories and put them into a book?

I'm spending my lunch hour reading "This Ol' Thread".....Thanks for passing it along...

Have you got to the threads on Love Child yet? It will take all of this week's lunch hours to read it all!

jobeterob
03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Very sad news. So many many of these artists are reaching an age where our bodies weaken. And Dionne Warwick has financial issues at such a late stage of life.

I recall Deke saying that after you split the Love Child royalties so many ways, it produced very little revenue.

kenneth
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
How sad. Such a talented guy and such a nice person. How fortunate that Hip-O was able to get his annotations about "I Can't Dance" before he passed. [[I'm assuming it's in the liner notes, I think we were told that on another threat.)

God bless.

Marv, who are the other gentlemen in that great photo?

marv2
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
How sad. Such a talented guy and such a nice person. How fortunate that Hip-O was able to get his annotations about "I Can't Dance" before he passed. [[I'm assuming it's in the liner notes, I think we were told that on another threat.)

God bless.

Marv, who are the other gentlemen in that great photo?

Fonzell Mizell and his brother Larry and Freddie Perren. Sadly, both Fonz and Freddie have also passed.

kenneth
03-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Fonzell Mizell and his brother Larry and Freddie Perren. Sadly, both Fonz and Freddie have also passed.

Thanks for letting us know, Marv.

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.classicpopicons.com/images/jackson_5_and_the_corporation.jpg

GrtGzu
03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow.....You know I remember my very first J5 concert down at Public Auditorium back in 1970-71...Springtime....When they were introducing the people "behind the music" before the concert started, I blurted out "THE CORPORATION!" [[I read a LOTTA back album covers back then), only to find out they were talking about HDH....I was so embarrassed and hoped nobody heard me, LOLOLOL!!! But I was always curious about who was "The Corporation"? At 12 yrs old, I kinda thought it was the whole company....

Yet, another "teachable moment"....I can't find the rest of Mr. Deke's original thread so I can read the rest of the "story"! And yeah, I did indeed suck up ALL of my lunch hour reading when I found myself at the "Why Does Everybody Hate Otis Williams thread"...

Another hour went by, before I looked up and realized I needed to get back to doing my billing....Now I'm at home and need to go back to the archives again, and pick up where I THINK I left off...

bradburger
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Very shocked to hear this. I had no idea Deke was ill.

Seems very fitting that he got to mix those 8 songs for the 4th disc of the Vandellas Complete Singles, and give an updated account of [[to use his words) "The I Can't Dance Caper".

I was hoping one day he would make it back on this forum, but alas, that is not to be. But like many here, I'm grateful of the contributions he made to this forum.

Cheers

Paul

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1870.html

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?page=1&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&fromrow=1&torow=25&affiliation=BMI&cae=41297297&keyID=286941&keyname=RICHARDS%20DEKE&querytype=WriterID

stephanie
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Rolling Stone did a good piece on Deke and the Corporation

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deke-richards-motown-songsmith-dead-at-68-20130326

REDHOT
03-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Sad News,R.I.P My brother,and Thanks for the music.

zebop
03-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah Deke was part of the Clan and the Corporation. Although I'm saddened I have to smile because seeing "Deke Richards" conquers up a certain sound in my mind. How cool is it to me known for that and so much more. Deke's sign on name was Deke Richards.

GrtGzu
03-27-2013, 08:43 AM
http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1870.html

Thanks for passing this on.....What a FASCINATING story!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be listening to that song in a completely different way now, lol!!! The man was truly a "gem"...

I wonder if BG has expressed his condolences yet?

chidrummer
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Very, very sad news. I loved the amazing history he left here on SDF. Now may the entire Corporation rest in peace.

nathanj06
03-28-2013, 07:07 AM
RIP Deke Richards. They were all so talented.

marybrewster
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
My sympathy goes out to Mr. Richard's family and friends.

The Motown family has suffered another tremendous loss.