PDA

View Full Version : Vandellas 50th Anniversary - When Will It Be Received by a Forum Member?

test

woodward
03-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Let's see who gets the upcoming 50th Anniversary collection by Martha & the Vandellas FIRST. Many members order from a variety of retailers.

Whomever gets theirs first, please reply to this thread so others have advance notice that it is released and hopefully enroute to their mailbox.

Thanks.

woodward
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Let's see who gets the upcoming 50th Anniversary collection by Martha & the Vandellas FIRST. Many members order from a variety of retailers.

Whomever gets theirs first, please reply to this thread so others have advance notice that it is released and hopefully enroute to their mailbox.

Thanks.

Update: I just received shipment confirmation from Import CDs that the collection was shipped today. At least now we know it is released. Stay tuned.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-28-2013, 02:48 AM
I also got a shipment confirmation from Import CDs. I'm hoping it'll arrive in time for the weekend so I can have a Vandellas and Four Tops-a-Thon!

762rob
03-28-2013, 06:40 AM
I also got notification from Import CDs yesterday.

144man
03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Please say which country you live in.

phil
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Import CD ships only in America. :[[

mr_postman
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
phil, that's not correct. I don't know about the terms on their own website, but they're shipping international on Amazon.co.uk/.com.

daviddesper
03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
I have not yet received my shipping notice from Import CDs but I did watch their website on a daily basis just in case the price dropped below the $39.99 that one of you had so kindly pointed out to us. Well sure enough one day it was down to $37 something, and the Four Tops set was even a few cents cheaper. So I jumped in and ordered them at that point. That four dollar savings might not seem like much, but heck it paid for the shipping of one of them.

sophisticated_soul
03-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Import CD ships only in America. :[[

It's only certain product that Importcds cannot ship out of the USA. The product description page of any Hip-O product sold by importcds always has this line: "US Only: This Item Can Only Be Shipped To United States Addresses. No International Export."

I have not received my shipping notice yet for the Martha set. I frequently shop at importcds and find the service very good and the prices generally the lowest.

phil
03-29-2013, 04:11 AM
phil, that's not correct. I don't know about the terms on their own website, but they're shipping international on Amazon.co.uk/.com.

Mr Postman I believe you, but that's what I saw on their page when I wanted to order directly from them : http://www.importcds.com/music/2556778/martha-reeves-the-vandellas-50th-anniversary-singles-collection-1964-72

It'll be available on 04/02 at $37.69 when on amazon UK it's announced for 04/29 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AU15IHY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1B90RZ5TTQGNQRCKNDTZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

sophisticated_soul
03-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Just got my notice from importcds that my Martha & The Vandellas set has shipped! Oh, happy day!!:D

jaybs
03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Just wish Import CD's would mail these releases to the UK, I want the Four Tops as there price is just amazing!

mowest
03-31-2013, 12:36 AM
I received the collection today. So far I have listened to most of disc 3 and it is superb! Once again, it is hard to believe that it has taken so long to hear so many wonderful vaulted recordings. Martha's version of "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" is arguably the best one I've heard and the last song on the disc, Berry Gordy's "Play A Sad Song" is "beautifully sad." "C'mon And Swim" and "Light My Fire" rock. The packaging is superb and the essays and photos fantastic. My pressing does include "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" with the clipped intro but I have the full version on the Live Wire collection so it may not be a big deal. Can't wait to hear the rest of this great tribute to a Motown legend.

carole cucumber
03-31-2013, 06:17 AM
I received the collection today. So far I have listened to most of disc 3 and it is superb! Once again, it is hard to believe that it has taken so long to hear so many wonderful vaulted recordings. Martha's version of "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" is arguably the best one I've heard and the last song on the disc, Berry Gordy's "Play A Sad Song" is "beautifully sad." "C'mon And Swim" and "Light My Fire" rock. The packaging is superb and the essays and photos fantastic. My pressing does include "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" with the clipped intro but I have the full version on the Live Wire collection so it may not be a big deal. Can't wait to hear the rest of this great tribute to a Motown legend.

If I remember correctly, the version of NLYBS on the Live Wire Collection was an alternate mix. Harry Weinger commented recently on Nightflight that the 50th Anniversary set includes the correct single mix.

johnjeb
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
UPS tracking says my CDs were delivered today. I had them sent to my "other-half's" place of employment, which is the best option for me, particularly for these sets.

Or so I thought.

At the last minute he decided to work from home today, forgetting I was expecting this delivery. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow. Although, he has been taunting me by saying he is thinking of calling-in sick for the next month!!!

Now I don't know whether to be nice to my Sweet Darlin' Honey Chile or flip him my Third Finger Left Hand.

johnny_raven
04-03-2013, 04:02 AM
I received mine today!!!

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Mine arrived today. The package is beautifully done. Now on to the music.

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Harry,
When I pop the first cd into the computer, it reads Heatwave as album version mono rather than single version mono. Just another glitch, I suppose.

blueskies
04-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Now I don't know whether to be nice to my Sweet Darlin' Honey Chile or flip him my Third Finger Left Hand.

Thanks...I needed that laugh today!

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
A few observations-
I am loving the new songs! Each time I hear one I say 'that's gonna be my favorite' or 'that one's the best' and then I hear the next one and want to say the same thing.

And then again, observations at times also lead to a question or two.....
Although I am all for variety and a number of unreleased photos being included in special collections, it was good to again see some of the photos used for Spellbound repeated here on glossy paper. That being said it was noticeable on pg. 43 that a little digital magic had been applied to Lois' bottom missing tooth. I wonder if Lois will notice?
Although the cover photo of the 'Black Magic' album bespeaks both of class and a tinge of mystery, I've always wondered about the other photos published [[likely) from the same session- going way back to the late 80's single disc issue to TCMSC. Whenever I see the photos on pp.58 & opposite disc 2, my mind wanders to the 1960's musical Hair, wherein the Supremes are parodied, all sharing one large dress. As Martha has mentioned that several of the songs that comprised the "Black Magic' album were originally intended for Diana Ross, I've wondered what the photographer was thinking and why Martha did not question the photographic technique that makes it appear that Martha, Lois and Sandy are all inhabiting the same stretchable outfit.
I've always thought that the Riding High album cover featured Lois, Roz & Martha. But pg. 39 clearly shows Betty, Roz & Martha. Were my eyes deceiving me all these years or were there similar photo sessions with both groupings?
And I have noticed the color change in outfits between pp 38 & 39. Harry or George, can you clear up this mystery?

johnjeb
04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I've always thought that the Riding High album cover featured Lois, Roz & Martha. But pg. 39 clearly shows Betty, Roz & Martha. Were my eyes deceiving me all these years or were there similar photo sessions with both groupings?
And I have noticed the color change in outfits between pp 38 & 39. Harry or George, can you clear up this mystery?

carole, I noticed Betty right away, as well. What a surprise!

However, that photo of Roz doesn't look too much like her, although I'm sure it is - the wig seems different, also.

I wonder if there is an LP jacket with that photo - one can only imagine.

I like the cover of this set very much. Wasn't too crazy about it in the pics we've seen online. I figured it would be better once I saw the real thing.

johnny_raven
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Carole, the booklet explains the pic used for Ridin' High.

johnjeb
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks...I needed that laugh today!

"Go Ahead And Laugh"!

So after I concluded my histrionics [["Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things") he assured me he would bring the discs home today. I pulled myself together and said the only thing I could at a moment like that: "Bless You, I Promise To Wait My Love".

Whereas 24 hours ago I was roaming these "7 Rooms Of Gloom" now with these new collections in my hands "I'm In A Different World".

[[Hope you enjoyed this, too. "I Tried"!)

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Carole, the booklet explains the pic used for Ridin' High.

Thank you. I found it on page 34. [[It might have made more sense to place it on pg. 38). I was so busy listening to the music that I haven't yet read through all the write-ups. I merely expected most of them [[with the exception of "I Can't Dance To the Music You're Playing) to be a re-hash of those from TCMSC.
Thanks for pointing that out. Which leads to a subsequent question.... are there additional photos from those 2 sessions? It would be interesting to see them and to know if set b [[with Lois) attempts to replicate those of set a [[with Betty) throughout.
The photo of Martha on pg.2 of 'Spellbound' is merely reversed from pg. 39 of the 50th Anniversary set.
And Harry, now that I've begun to read some of the essays, I notice that disc 3, track 23 states that "Play A Sad Song" was intended as a Martha solo recording.....
Elsewhere on the forum, you made a statement concerning tracks intended for Martha's solo career in regards to this collection......
But I am [[and I'm sure others are) glad that you chose to include it.

Jimi LaLumia
04-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I got both the Vandellas and The Tops sets from Amazon today, very excited, great packages..days and weeks of reading,looking and listening pleasure..

carole cucumber
04-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Since I started reading some of the write-up, I've discovered an incorrect assertion. Reworded from TCMSC, it is stated that Sylvia Moy was the only other [[than Billie Jean Brown) female producer at Motown.
Have we forgotten Valerie Simpson?

cheekylincs
04-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Received mine here in the UK yesterday and am loving the quality and thought that has clearly gone into this project. I can't stop listening to I've Gotta Have Someone To Rely On on disc three - Martha at her very best - I've played it almost constantly on loop in my car during the 30 mile journey to work this morning!! Isn't it amazing that after all this time, nearly fifty years later, we can still find such amazing songs that have never seen the light of day before from Martha Reeves & The Vandellas

George Solomon
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Wow, such interesting and thorough comments. I can't wait to actually have a physical copy of the collection [[I've been out on tour) maybe I can help answer some questions then. Thanks for all the positive and constructive reports!

RossHolloway
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Is the song Play A Sad Song the same song as the one done by Brenda Holloway off her ELBH album?

carole cucumber
04-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Is the song Play A Sad Song the same song as the one done by Brenda Holloway off her ELBH album?

No, it is the same song as done by the Supremes on "Meet The Supremes"

carole cucumber
04-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Every time I've listened to 'C'mon And Swim' I keep hearing [[in spots) similarities to 'Motoring'. I was half expecting both songs to share the same composers . They don't.
However, Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter produced both AND they were recorded by the Vandellas one day after the other. Obviously, the delivery /style the girls used on 'C'mon And Swim' was so fresh in their minds that it spilled over into 'Motoring'.

theboyfromxtown
04-07-2013, 06:40 AM
I guess their swimming attire was still wet from the day before and they had to don bike leathers instead.

hwume
04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Since I started reading some of the write-up, I've discovered an incorrect assertion. Reworded from TCMSC, it is stated that Sylvia Moy was the only other [[than Billie Jean Brown) female producer at Motown.
Have we forgotten Valerie Simpson?

Perhaps I should have added the words "at the time" or, as an overall, "solo female producer."

hwume
04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Harry,
When I pop the first cd into the computer, it reads Heatwave as album version mono rather than single version mono. Just another glitch, I suppose.

This relates to metadata assigned to "digital materials" - that's a backroom step that Andy, George and I have little to nothing to do with. The track is the single version; the metadata is incorrect. That's a mistake, and I can see about fixing it for the internal system, but a fix likely won't change the readout.

kenneth
04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Every time I've listened to 'C'mon And Swim' I keep hearing [[in spots) similarities to 'Motoring'. I was half expecting both songs to share the same composers . They don't.
However, Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter produced both AND they were recorded by the Vandellas one day after the other. Obviously, the delivery /style the girls used on 'C'mon And Swim' was so fresh in their minds that it spilled over into 'Motoring'.

I think if you lsiten to the "Dance Party" album you find that many of the songs have similar arrangements, especially amongst the way the background vocals are used to augment the lead. I think it's one of their best early LPs, but I think the producers or arrangers went to the same musical well on it a few too many times.

motony
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I really like the original "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'"...it would have been a much bigger selling 45, never cared for that other girls voice being on Marthas' record. Billie Jean Brown sure missed the boat with that call.!!

sophisticated_soul
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Billie Jean Brown also really missed the boat by keeping "Jimmy Mack" shelved for nearly three years because she didn't like the song! Thankfully Martha went to Mr. Gordy about the issue [[and thankfully he listened) and once he heard "Jimmy Mack" it was released and Miss Brown caught a bit of Mr. Gordy's [[well deserved) wrath. Let's hear it for Martha!:)

04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I can't stop listening to I've Gotta Have Someone To Rely On on disc three - Martha at her very best - I've played it almost constantly on loop in my car during the 30 mile journey to work this morning!!That song was stuck in my head when I woke up this morning. I love the horns on it.

Motown Eddie
04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
If I remember correctly, the version of NLYBS on the Live Wire Collection was an alternate mix. Harry Weinger commented recently on Nightflight that the 50th Anniversary set includes the correct single mix.

Received my copy the Vandellas 50th Anniversary set and I love it. However, what happened to the first few seconds of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side"?

carole cucumber
04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Received my copy the Vandellas 50th Anniversary set and I love it. However, what happened to the first few seconds of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side"?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?8539-Martha-Reeves-amp-the-Vandellas-50th-Anniversary-The-Singles-DISC-1-GLITCH

Please note the first post

Glenpwood
04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Not to gripe BUT.....

Has Hip-O not filled the orders made directly to their website because they are correcting the Vandellas CD issue first? I just find it wrong to try and support Harry & companies efforts by ordering directly [[and with rush postage) figuring that money helps fund their efforts more than the lower profit they get from selling it to Amazon, Import Cd's etc. when I keep seeing folks who bought it elsewhere have had it for days and enjoying it. At the least customer service should send out an email letting us know what's going on...

Ok, I am off my soapbox now....

Glenpwood
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
P.S. this is not a swipe at Harry since I know he's not holding a packing tape gun sealing packages and sending these out the door it's just frustrating when somethings been realeased over a week ago and customer service fails to follow up with its customers....

reese
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I received it on 4/4 from Hip-O-Select, and it does have the uncorrected song. It doesn't bother me all that much, so I'll probably keep it.

luke
04-08-2013, 02:02 PM
johnjeb lolol You couldnt dance to that he was playin! He sounds like a Live Wire but your baby loves you!

longtimefan
04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
For those of you who already own this set, are there any tracks on Discs 1 and 2 whose sound quality is so much better than when they appeared on previous CDs that they seems almost "new"?

04-09-2013, 01:16 AM
For those of you who already own this set, are there any tracks on Discs 1 and 2 whose sound quality is so much better than when they appeared on previous CDs that they seems almost "new"?I've only ever heard the stereo version of "Without You" before and the mono single version sound so much better to me, it's almost like hearing a new remix of it. "You've Been In Love Too Long" also sounds so much stronger in mono than it does in stereo.

johnjeb
04-09-2013, 06:01 PM
johnjeb lolol You couldnt dance to that he was playin! He sounds like a Live Wire but your baby loves you!

Yes, luke, I guess he does. But many times I think he feels like he stepped in "Quicksand".

thommg
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Just got my Martha & the Vandellas and 4 Tops singles collection. I have had Martha's playing since yesterday and I just LOVE IT! Honestly, there are many of the B sides that I am unfamiliar with and they are just wonderful. I haven't even gotten to the third disc with the Lost & Found entries as I am stuck on the first two with all the released singles. Thanks to all involved for putting out such a classy series. Just beautiful work that befits the music inside.

carlo
04-12-2013, 09:46 PM
A few observations-
That being said it was noticeable on pg. 43 that a little digital magic had been applied to Lois' bottom missing tooth. I wonder if Lois will notice?

The art department did the same thing to Diana's teeth in the Hullabaloo photo featured on the inside of the "I Hear A Symphony" Expanded Edition digi-pack. These photos have been around for years. Why start to air brush and edit them? I know it's a minor detail, but if these sets are concerned with "telling the story" and preserving history, then why change the photos? It's like drawing eyebrows on the Mona Lisa.

I ordered my copy and it should be here on Monday or Tuesday. Excited!

longtimefan
04-12-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree, Carlo!!! This is a step too far.

p.s. You have been absent on SDF, Carlo. Hope all is well.

carlo
04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Thank you Longtimefan! I am well, just become busy with life. :) Hope you're doing well too!

superlou
04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
What a great surprise! I got my copy in the mail today and had no idea the packaging would be like the TCMS series. I wondered why the box was so large. Just started listening to disc 3 [[yeah, I cheated) and am reading through the book. A great looking set! Thanks to all for getting this done.

kenneth
04-15-2013, 11:39 PM
I've only ever heard the stereo version of "Without You" before and the mono single version sound so much better to me, it's almost like hearing a new remix of it. "You've Been In Love Too Long" also sounds so much stronger in mono than it does in stereo.

I completely agree. Even when I was a kid, I remember the Mono Greatest Hits albums were much better to listen to than the Stereo ones, especially on the Vandellas and Marvelettes sets. The mono mixes were punchier, had more bass and percussion, while the stereo mixes of some of the singles sounded thin. I especially like "You've Been in Love Too Long", "I'm Ready for Love," "Quicksand" and [[as for the Marvelettes) the Mono mix of "You're My Remedy."

carlo
04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I got my copy last night and finally taking some time to enjoy this fabulous release! I'm loving Disc 3. I can't decide which unreleased version of "I Can't Dance" I like the most. Both are really cool. The second version is so different. The Andantes' background vocals on "Love, Don't Take a Holiday" are superb! Also delighted to see some outtakes from the "Black Magic" photo session. I noticed that most of the unreleased tracks are from the 1967-1971 period, which also makes me happy. :) Can't wait to read the liner notes! Beautiful packaging!

carlo
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I completely agree. Even when I was a kid, I remember the Mono Greatest Hits albums were much better to listen to than the Stereo ones, especially on the Vandellas and Marvelettes sets. The mono mixes were punchier, had more bass and percussion, while the stereo mixes of some of the singles sounded thin. I especially like "You've Been in Love Too Long", "I'm Ready for Love," "Quicksand" and [[as for the Marvelettes) the Mono mix of "You're My Remedy."

I've always noticed the same thing. I remember when I heard the stereo version of "The Supremes A Go Go" for the first time and a lot of the tracks sounded thinner.

carlo
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
"We Will" is awesome!! Can't believe that one stayed in the vaults until now.