PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on Motown

test

nomis
03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I wanted to just say thank you to everyone who particapates on this forum and I wanted to ask if anyone else ever feels what I regulary experience when discussing Motown and reflecting on the remarkable musical and political landscape that altered the music industry in indefinable ways..let me explain - the recent discussions on the Motown musical lead me to express strong opinions on how Berry operated and managed the Motown roster..I was highly critical of his practices and methods which i hope i backed up my views with case secanrios..however like my feelings on the Jackson family dynasty it changes with the intellegent information shared at SDF..how i feel about Berry,Diana and others is a constantly changing and evolving perception..does anyone else ever feel like this ? its a serious question and im hoping some other wise forum members can share what they think about how their feelings and how they evolve and change thru time and discussion..another case example - 15 years ago i was flippant about Mary Wilsons contribution to the legacy,however after reading her personal struggles today I admire her immensly..Im posting this because Ive been made aware over the years that many [[most) of the motown family do read this forum but donot particapate i think Ralph would agree with me that slander and insults have no place on SDF..we come here because we love Motown and in the future im certainly going to be more aware of being critical of artists ive never met..Gordy,Ross,Gaye,Reeves etc evoke complex feelings and emotion from me but Ive never met them and time and time again SDF has dispelled myths,rumours and gossip..the future of Motown is in all our hands we do an admirable job of perserving the legacy..but i think we should all remember that everyones human,they make mistakes,misunderstandings perpetuate urban myths..theres joy,pain,opression,brotherhood,sisterhood in all of the Motown family..thank you again to everyone on SDF for enriching my life with this forum..and Ralph you have the best music forum on the planet.period.

ralpht
03-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Nice piece nomis, thank you.

thomas96
03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks nomis, I agree.

Roberta75
03-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Mr Berry Gordy had faults Norris but if we are real honest with ourselves dont we all have faults? I will always be grateful to Mr Gordy for starting Motown Rercords and for giving me the best music of my life.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

LuvHangOva
03-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Bravo, nomis. Bravo!!!

Ollie9
03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I have only recently joined the forum. I have been reading posts from other members for quite a while now, and decided it was time to sign up so to speak. This is indeed one of, if not the best music forum there is. Most of the members here are incredibly knowledgeable about all topics Motown, company and artists. The thing that really prompted me to join is the sense of humour that permeates a lot of the postings, providing the right platform for freedom of speech, insults and all. We all have our favourites and less so, but that's what makes it interesting and also fun. I think what makes Motown so unique is the way it evolved like a family unit, with dad at the head of the table, and brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles all pulling together to make it happen. It plays like a soap opera which is why I think the musical will be such a success. In a way this forum is a kind of mirror image of that, with you Ralph as big daddy, and all your siblings, some naughtier then others contributing. Long may it reign.

ralpht
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Big daddy, huh Ollie? Well just as long as the ladies think that...........

marv2
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Big daddy, huh Ollie? Well just as long as the ladies think that...........

Stop it Ralph! LOL!!!! hehehehehehehe,.........

Ollie9
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Ralph, perhaps I should have referred to you as Big Ben.......All the girls love Big Ben!!!!!

ralpht
03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Whatever is good for the ladies, Ollie...................