PDA

View Full Version : Linda Scott goes Supreme

test

luke
03-23-2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAHxWsoI9U Not bad! Released only in the UK. The Composer.

Kamasu_Jr
03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Fiinally, a posting of something I hadn't heard or seen before. It seemed to be a note for note cover. The song still failed. It's just too corny in my opinion.

midnight johnny
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Well....I'll tell you. I've been pondering this one since yesterday. I am a huge Linda Scott fan from way back...her early sixties big hits, her year on "Where The Action Is" where she displayed such a wonderful sense of humor, and her minor hit cover of The Ronettes'
"You Baby"...which is still one of my favorite 60s tunes. I was happy Luke posted this,
with my being such a great fan of Linda's and "The Composer" on of my favorite Diana/Andantes tunes. As I listened...soon into the song, I found myself saying "this isn't Linda....
So I tried to research this song. The youtube post of the song says it's Linda Scott, the image of the 45 rpm says clearly that it's Linda Scott, recorded in 1969...certainly in her recording time line. Wikipedia identifies this song as being hers, although we know that Wikipedia can be incorrect, depending on the source. Discogs identifies the same information, but ALLMUSIC doesn't.
So all I can say is...the singer on this song is clearly British...with a British accent...and the quality of her voice, to me, is not the same as the Linda Scott that I know and love.
So I may be alone in this...I have been before...but to me...this isn't the Linda Scott that made hits out of "I Told Every Little Star", "Don't Bet Money, Honey" and so many others.
Here is a youtube link to my extended version of "You Baby"...there's no British accent here...but judge for yourself.

http://youtu.be/BE1F_9kyIkY
John

Methuselah2
03-24-2013, 03:00 PM
My money's on Valerie Simpson.
Dark horse possibility: Dame Edna Everage.

luke
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
lol. I just assumed it was Linda-will listen again. Louvain?

theboyfromxtown
03-24-2013, 05:11 PM
My money's on Valerie Simpson.
Dark horse possibility: Dame Edna Everage.

From memory, this is a LInda Scott who was a session singer who was in that crowd of UK sessions singers hanging out with Sue & Sunny, Roger Greenaway, Tony Burrows

LOLOLOL at the Dame Edna comment....who is about to tour the UK with her final FAREWELL show.

midnight johnny
03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
From memory, this is a LInda Scott who was a session singer who was in that crowd of UK sessions singers hanging out with Sue & Sunny, Roger Greenaway, Tony Burrows

LOLOLOL at the Dame Edna comment....who is about to tour the UK with her final FAREWELL show.

Thanks, John...I knew something was not quite right. Luke...thanks for posting the link.

carole cucumber
03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;155851]From memory, this is a LInda Scott who was a session singer who was in that crowd of UK sessions singers hanging out with Sue & Sunny, Roger Greenaway, Tony Burrows

theboyfromxtown,
You had previously responded in an earlier post saying that this was not the Linda Scott with whom many are acquainted, but a British singer- and suddenly the post vanished.
I'm assuming that you chose to remove the post; I'm glad to see that you chose to enter the discussion again, sharing your wisdom.

Methuselah2
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Carole, you're slipping. The vanished post wasn't from Tbfxt; it was MJ's.

"You have to keep on top of things every minute!"
-- Faye Dunaway as "Joan Crawford" in MOMMIE SEVEREST. Oh, dear!

Methuselah2
03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm stickin' with this:

http://www.sbiff.org/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dame_edna-0.jpg

luke
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
My pleasure MJ. I guess others are confused too per whats been written about this release, and the assumption being its USA Linda.

Methuselah2
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I was just reading up on Foreign Accent Syndrome which is an extremely rare occurrence in which one suddenly starts speaking with a seemingly unexplainable acquired foreign accent. In most cases reported, the occurrence has been linked to brain injury or damage, while a very few instances have been connected to severe migraine. Which, actually, is exactly what this newly posted recording is giving me. I was never all that taken with the more widely known version of THE COMPOSER. And now there's this one to contend with? I may not know what quarter-notes are but I sure could use a comfy bar right about now. And once I find one, I will stay there until I'm three sheets of music to the wind.

rrussi
03-27-2013, 03:56 AM
I didn't think it was the USA singer Linda Scott as I could hear a British accent. I am surprised the record co. would issue singles under the name when there is already a known successful singer with that name.

Methuselah2
03-27-2013, 04:15 AM
Rrussi - Not to play off your name but perhaps--just maybe--the recording is a ruse. The voice doesn't sound like the voice of the Linda Scott I heard in the 60s, and I do hear the British accent that everyone has mentioned. But that really doesn't necessarily mean that the voice we're now hearing is actually someone's who's British. The accent could merely be an affectation done to see what would happen, possibly even done as a joke, a lark. Far-fetched? Could be. Likely? Could be. Is it THAT Linda Scott of 60s fame? Could be. The only person who knows for sure is Linda Scott. Whoever she--or they--might be.

theboyfromxtown
03-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Carole, you're slipping. The vanished post wasn't from Tbfxt; it was MJ's.

"You have to keep on top of things every minute!"
-- Faye Dunaway as "Joan Crawford" in MOMMIE SEVEREST. Oh, dear!

That's how I remember it too! Nevertheless, I want to say to Carole that this [[now) old man is humbled by your kind words!

theboyfromxtown
03-27-2013, 04:23 AM
I'm stickin' with this:

http://www.sbiff.org/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dame_edna-0.jpg

Love her......I'm sticking with her too!

Methuselah2
03-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Love her......I'm sticking with her too!

Possum, I'm with you!