PDA

View Full Version : Library of Congress adds 25 recordings to registry

test

woodward
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Both the Free Press and the Detroit News carried syndicated stories today reporting the newest inductees into the Library of Congress National Recording Registry. Reportedly each year the librarian of the Library selects 25 recordings that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and at least 10 years old.

First and foremost, this is the first I have ever heard of this registry. Has anyone else followed this registry?

Second, I was wholeheartedly disappointed to see that not a single Motown song was inducted. Does anyone know if ANY Motown songs have ever been inducted? I can't figure out how to see exactly what is included in the registry.

Hope someone can shed some light on this registry. Thank you.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/registry/nrpb-masterlist.html

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
274.“Dancing in the Street.” Martha and the Vandellas. [[1964)

This rousing dance hit has been cited as one of the first examples of what would come to be known as the Motown sound. Written by Marvin Gaye, William Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter, the song was turned down by another Motown act before Martha and the Vandellas performed it in the Motown studios. The group, which consisted of Martha Reeves, Rosalyn Ashford and Annette Beard, had alternated between singing backup for other Motown acts and working on their own material, but, after the success of this song, their career as a backup group was definitively ended. The African-American community would come to infuse the tune with political sentiments. Selected for the 2005 registry.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
282."Tracks of My Tears." Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. [[1965)

William “Smokey” Robinson wrote, produced and performed some of the sweetest, most poetic and enduring love songs in rhythm and blues history. “Tracks of My Tears” is highlighted by Robinson’s velvety high tenor voice and his heartbreaking lyrics. It captures the peak of Robinson’s talent. His smooth voice conveys the passion and pain required to maintain a false, happy exterior after a romantic breakup. He heightens the effect when he sweeps into his remarkable falsetto. The recording won numerous awards and is considered to be among the best recordings by the Miracles. Selected for the 2007 registry.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
314.“What’s Going On” [[album). Marvin Gaye. [[1971)

A masterful stylist of sophisticated soul, Marvin Gaye’s songs helped promote the Motown sound throughout the 1960s. Many of his vocal collaborations with Tammi Terrell topped the rhythm and blues charts. His 1971 concept album, "What's Going On," explored deeply held spiritual beliefs while offering social commentary on cultural events of the day. This self-written, self-produced concept album was an abrupt departure from previous Motown releases and became a huge commercial success. Selected for the 2003 registry.

woodward
03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/registry/nrpb-masterlist.html

Mary: Thank you for directing me to this list. I am however, very disappointed that Motown artists were that minimal. I calculate that only 5 were Motown related, MLK I Have a Dream, Marvha & Vandellas, Smokey Robinson and Miracles, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder. That is roughly 1.4% percentage wise. I am not counting Michael Jackson's Thriller album because it was not on Motown.

I can think of dozens of other songs that need to be included. Most people are totally unfamiliar with a lot of these songs on the list. What do others think?

soulster
03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
What do I think? There is a LOT more music than just Motown.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree whole-heartedly.

While it's difficult to choose "essential" Motown songs, I do think for various reasons, the following two should be included:

Please Mr. Postman [[if only because it was the first Motown #1) - The Marvelettes
My Girl - The Temptations

Ngroove
03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Could use more Motown; but first thing's first: another I notice the lack of: Nat King Cole: along with him being pure sophistication, he's not "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" enough, according to Congressional Library? I see Sinatra, but none of at least one of these: "Christmas Song", "Nature Boy", "Unforgettable", "Mona Lisa"?

....Oh, nevermind....I see "Straighten Up and Fly Right" :)

Ngroove
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
I agree whole-heartedly.

While it's difficult to choose "essential" Motown songs, I do think for various reasons, the following two should be included:

Please Mr. Postman [[if only because it was the first Motown #1) - The Marvelettes

"My Girl" and at least one Supremes from 1964-1966 - they were THE girl group between those years, after all.

thisoldheart
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
why british pop acts on an american historic registry?

Kamasu_Jr
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
There is a registry for films. They will eventually include more Motown.

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
The Library of Congress moves very slow.

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:03 PM
I agree whole-heartedly.

Agree! We should petition for those two songs.

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:04 PM
why british pop acts on an american historic registry?
Because they were culturally significant in the U.S.. They make no distinction between who is American and who isn't.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM
"My Girl" and at least one Supremes from 1964-1966 - they were THE girl group between those years, after all.

I agree with an inclusion of The Supremes but was hard-pressed to narrow it down to one.

My first thought was "Baby Love", but I really wanted to mention "Stop!" but I figured that would start a fire storm, LOL.

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I agree with an inclusion of The Supremes but was hard-pressed to narrow it down to one.

My first thought was "Baby Love", but I really wanted to mention "Stop!" but I figured that would start a fire storm, LOL. Yeah, let's leave it alone. Too much Supremes talk around here anyway. I'd pick something from 1966 or 1968 anyway.

Ngroove
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah, let's leave it alone. Too much Supremes talk around here anyway. I'd pick something from 1966 or 1968 anyway.

Stevie's "For Once In My Life" or Marvin, although already having at least one entry already, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"?