PDA

View Full Version : The state of the music Indusrty - Janet Jackson has no contract

test

nomis
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Ten years ago to think Janet Jackson would be without a recording contract would have been unthinkable..
The diva who acclaimed success and multi million sales with her 86 release control when onto to strengthn her position against her brother,Madonna and Whitney Houston with a slew of hit singles from her 89 release Rythymn Nation
She went on to sign a - at -the -time biggest recording deal with Virgin Records in 92 and the results were immeadiate - Janet cd released in 93 was a huge seller and Janet had established her place in the Rnb market as a respected hit maker and style icon.
However the law of diminishing returns has affected each of Janets last few cds - after a one album deal with failed to make a mark against the Rihanna/Beyonce dominated market Janet now finds herself contract less.
According to sources labels have approached Ms. Jackson with offers but she is skeptical to the results a label can now produce for an artist in the digital age.
Janet is working out if she can produce a big selling album without a label deal-independently promoting and distributing it herself - but needs to surround herself with a savvy team to compete in the marketplace today she is studying digital marketing and plotting her next move very carefully....

soulster
10-07-2010, 01:03 PM
And, that's what it has been coming down to for a LOT of artists - how to make a profit in today's world of digital downloads, legal and otherwise.

But, judging by the success of a lot of her peers, I think part of her problem with her last few albums is the music. I put on a Janet Jackson album and it's all boring make-out music, or cookie-cutter music that isn't innovative. So, if she wants this to work, she has to change her music. Maybe go a bit old school with the sound? Lighten up the lyrics?

It does no good to whine about downloading. It's a different world than it was even ten years ago, and the clock ain't turnin' back. The artists are doing what the industry as a whole should have done a decade ago, and learn to adapt to the new frontier instead of fight it.

However, look at the failed attempt of artists like Prince who tried for more than a decade to do it on his own. It didn't work out too well, partially because he never really accepted the digital reality, and, at the end of the day, his music really started to stank! The innovative, provocative Prince is gone. Anyway, he's now gone back to a major label deal.

From what i'm seeing, there are artists who are doing well with major label deals, which leads me to believe that her problem, again, is the lackluster quality of her music. I know the die-hard fans will disagree, but as a more objective listener, I found nothing interesting about her music in the last decade, or so.

I wish her luck, and look forward to hearing some new sounds from her.

...and what's this crap about calling everybody 'divas"? It's a rotten word with negative connotations, and I wish it would fall out of favor around here.

pshark
10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
...and what's this crap about calling everybody 'divas"? It's a rotten word with negative connotations, and I wish it would fall out of favor around here.Thank you! Every time I read or hear diva I think bitch. Paparazzi is another overused word. Call them what they really are, celebrity stalkers. Why not give other profession fancy names? Maybe we should start calling trash collectors, Garbagios.

soulster
10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Thank you! Every time I read or hear diva I think bitch.

Yeah dude, it's a sorry attempt to make a bitch sound like something positive. Man, it's this forum. It's really the only place I even see the word "diva" anymore [[and on a certain EnVogue album). It must hold some kind of significance to someone, but not me.

pshark
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Damn its very annoying.
The first time I heard of that d word was on the EnVogue debut
Getting back to JJ, she's an entertainer, not a singer. Its obvious
she lipsyncs in concert

soulster
10-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Well pshark, she is a singer, just not a very good one. Her voice is too whispy. But, how do you measure a "good" singer? Some people think Mick Jagger can sing.

But, whatever that "d" word is supposed to be, Janet Jackson isn't one and never has been one.

pshark
10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Well she's a studio singer not a concert singer.
She might not be a so called "diva" but she is another d word.
Domanatrix. And a good one at that. That dude in this vid don't give a damnif she's lip syching or not:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oowlMRsSYiU&feature=related

nomis
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I dont think Diva has to have a negative connotation - she IS a diva her arrival at MJs memorial was a diva entrance if ever there is one..Shes a woman that creates excitment and has an "It" factor - shes not Taylor Swift for heavens sake her projects have revolutionised pop music,she has a body of work most other female pop singers out there would kill for..when she stared out the audience and didnt move a muscle on the Velvet Rope tour thats her being a diva..she enjoys her image and looking fabulous thats what a diva does..I dont see it as a negative thing to me its a celebration of a woman who chooses to be larger-than-life,who has a femmine mistique and a work ethic who works with the best producers,photographers and designers..and demands a level of perfection..on her last dvd she talked about getting her Vutton shoes wet for a photo shoot..that she wears Vutton and bitches about them getting wet is a diva..you can take the meaning either way but I see nothing wrong with the term to me its a term of endearment...

soulster
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I dont think Diva has to have a negative connotation

Sorry, but it does. Maybe among a certain group of people it doesn't, but whenever most people see it, they think the worst.

she IS a diva her arrival at MJs memorial was a diva entrance if ever there is one

No. She just likes living her own life and probably didn't want to go with the rest of the family. She is also wealthy. Don't read more into it. See, the perception is that "divas" are selfish. Janet isn't selfish. Not everyone is a sociable person, that's all.

..Shes a woman that creates excitment and has an "It" factor

Yeah, she's so exciting her last album tanked and she got dropped from her label.

- shes not Taylor Swift for heavens sake her projects have revolutionised pop music,she has a body of work most other female pop singers out there would kill for..when she stared out the audience and didnt move a muscle on the Velvet Rope tour thats her being a diva..she enjoys her image and looking fabulous thats what a diva does..

This is all in your mind. She shits on the toilet just like everyone else. Remember what kind of upbringing she and the rest of her family had. And, her father was a bully, and her mother was very submissive to him. Janet was very shy, like Michael.

I dont see it as a negative thing to me its a celebration of a woman who chooses to be larger-than-life,who has a femmine mistique and a work ethic who works with the best producers,photographers and designers..and demands a level of perfection..on her last dvd she talked about getting her Vutton shoes wet for a photo shoot..that she wears Vutton and bitches about them getting wet is a diva..you can take the meaning either way but I see nothing wrong with the term to me its a term of endearment...

Again, you've built this all up in your mind. You are projecting an image you like onto her where it doesn't exist.

jobeterob
10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
This isn't great news for fans of heritage artists and Motown and old time R & B.

But Janet Jackson is now "old" and her prime time is long over; if she is lucky, she'll have another hit; and she may be done.

But she had a great run, especially if her voice is not the strongest or the most distinctive. She's sold more records/CDS than Patti Labelle and Aretha Franklin.

Diva is an overused word that means a lot of different things in different circumstances to different people. I don't use it for those reasons. I dont' think the various connotations of the word do anyone called it much good.

soulster
10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
This isn't great news for fans of heritage artists and Motown and old time R & B.

She may be a "heritage" artsi now, but she was never Motown or really R&B, in the classic sense.

But Janet Jackson is now "old" and her prime time is long over; if she is lucky, she'll have another hit; and she may be done.

I wouldn't write her off just yet. She still may have a few hits in her. Look at Aretha Franklin. Many had written her off and then she came back with "Jump To It" and "Freeway Of Love".

But she had a great run, especially if her voice is not the strongest or the most distinctive. She's sold more records/CDS than... Aretha Franklin

I'd like to see some stats to back that up.

Diva is an overused word that means a lot of different things in different circumstances to different people. I don't use it for those reasons. I dont' think the various connotations of the word do anyone called it much good.

Thank you!

gary_james
10-08-2010, 08:48 PM
They finally wised up about her. I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.

pshark
10-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Nomis, the same way you feel about the overuse of "like" in conversations
is the same way I feel about the overuse of "diva"

nomis
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Soulster your way out of line you dont know me - I dont project anything onto Janet I study the history of women in music theres nothing wrong with that- Ive worked for Janet at Virgin and met the woman Im not some clueless gawking fan your views are out of touch the word diva has been embraced by a younger generation and its used now as a compliment thats the way it is- I use it as a term of affection..People get so snakey on these boards at times.."they finally wised up about her.Im surprised she lasted as long as she did"..huh?is this lets go after Nomis cos were thru fucking with topdiva?Or does this go back to my thread about many sdf members downloading stuff for free and ripping off the artists they say are so beloved to them?..I think it does younger people are gonna come to sdf with different views I dont disrespect anyone on this forum so dont disrespect me..I see Janet is being called no talent on another thread here..well if thats what someone thinks thats their view but working for Janet was a wonderful time in my life and I think shes great..

soulster
10-08-2010, 10:33 PM
In what capacity did you work for her at Virgin?
No one is saying Janet is talentless. On the contrary, I think she's quite talented. I just don't think she's a strong singer, and I think the music she's made in the last decade has been lackluster..

phyl
10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
i thinkn its a dman shame janeet jacksiong doensst have a contract she makde some great paryt music backin in the day and i love some of her hornry songs we neend more of this good party dnancy music and get away from thsi rap crap thats aout there rap pisie me offf.

smark21
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I think another factor that sunk Janet's career was that on her last several albums all she did was sing superficial songs about sex and try to keep up with the Rhiannas and Beyonces. Many of her fans grew up and moved on to new concerns in life and Janet wouldn't grow up in her music.

soulster
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I think another factor that sunk Janet's career was that on her last several albums all she did was sing superficial songs about sex and try to keep up with the Rhiannas and Beyonces. Many of her fans grew up and moved on to new concerns in life and Janet wouldn't grow up in her music.

My point exactly! Some people like that stuff, and some of it's OK, but it got old fast.

arrr&bee
10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I think that janet is a better actress than singer so she should persue her movie career with full force...go janet!!