PDA

View Full Version : Motown Re-issues - What Factors Determines A Release

test

blkfrost
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I am a huge Motown fan and must admit that I buy every album released on CD [[my vinyl collection was almost complete). What I do not seem to understand is what determines a re-issue on CD. I understand putting out the major artists. Artists I thought would get a CD re-issues have not or their material is way out of print. For example Jr. Walker, The Originals, Hi Inergy, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles [[1970s), Rare Earth , Tata Vega, Willie Hutch, etc. have decent catalogs yet many of the albums are not released, yet artists such as Ozone, Dazz Band get released. I would think that a Jr. Walker re-issue would sell better than Ozone [[even though I bought the Ozone CDs and will continue to buy whatever Motown CD re-issue I do not own).

Any thoughts?

BayouMotownMan
03-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I would think copyrights and licensing play into this. Some artists have a say-so in what is released in their back catalog and it happens that some don't want old stuff competing with new. Others signed away their rights to future royalties to get out of their contracts and the threat of lawsuits sometimes occur. Sales of these re-issues are so minimal that it's just not worth that. Sometimes the estate of an artist who has passed must be dealt with. Also requests for re-issues play a part. When an artist dies suddenly their catalog is in demand. Look what happened to MJ and Whitney when they died.

I am a huge Motown fan and must admit that I buy every album released on CD [[my vinyl collection was almost complete). What I do not seem to understand is what determines a re-issue on CD. I understand putting out the major artists. Artists I thought would get a CD re-issues have not or their material is way out of print. For example Jr. Walker, The Originals, Hi Inergy, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles [[1970s), Rare Earth , Tata Vega, Willie Hutch, etc. have decent catalogs yet many of the albums are not released, yet artists such as Ozone, Dazz Band get released. I would think that a Jr. Walker re-issue would sell better than Ozone [[even though I bought the Ozone CDs and will continue to buy whatever Motown CD re-issue I do not own).

Any thoughts?

Kamasu_Jr
03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
A Motown collector learns that if it's released, better buy it while the price is low because it's going to become scarce and the price is gonna go up. Some of the artists blkfrost named have had CD reissues - Smokey Robinson's early solo albums are available; the Miracles have four or five classic titles available, Rare Earth has several albums available and smaller independent labels have issued albums by Willie Hutch and Tata Vega. Motown albums are more available than any other record company.

Kamasu_Jr
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
If anyone wants me to help them find certain Motown albums, send me a private message.

jillfoster
03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
And if your'e having a hard time finding CD's of Motown album, you can also just buy a damn record player! LOL

alexgarret
03-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Sorry David...

soulster
03-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Artists I thought would get a CD re-issues have not or their material is way out of print.

High Inergy
BBR in Britain has reissued a couple of their albums on CD

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles [[1970s)
Smokey went solo in the early 70s, as you know, and "City of Angels" has been reissued on CD.
Rare Earth
Most of their Motown albums were reissued on CD in a boxed set several years ago. It's OOP.

Tata Vega, Willie Hutch
These two may have had a chart single or two, but were not big album sellers. I can see a comp, but I don't know if their albums would make any money.
[QUOTE]...yet artists such as Ozone, Dazz Band get released.

Well, These two bands were 80s artists that arrived just in time for the CD age. It makes sense that these would see the laser light. Ozone? Hmmm...never heard of 'em. Did they die in a plane crash? :D

I would think that a Jr. Walker re-issue would sell better than Ozone [[even though I bought the Ozone CDs and will continue to buy whatever Motown CD re-issue I do not own).

I'd like to see "Soul Sessions" reissued, but he has been anthologized.

Me, i'm still pushing for Switch's albums to be reissued stateside. Their first four albums, at least, have been reissued as various imports from Japan or the U.K.. I have "This Is My Dream".

Where the hell is Jermaine Jackson? I don't think any of his albums are on CD at all.

What happened to the rest of the Commodores albums? Half of them still aren't available on CD and some never were.

Some of Rick James' albums still need to be reissued on CD. I don't know what the deal is and who decides these things. But, there are some glaring omissions. The problem is that in the early 90s, Motown went through a big flurry of reissuing many titles on CD, then they quickly disappeared.

Too much talk about Diana Ross on CD. Let's get some other artists out there!

soulster
03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
A Motown collector learns that if it's released, better buy it while the price is low because it's going to become scarce and the price is gonna go up. Some of the artists blkfrost named have had CD reissues - Smokey Robinson's early solo albums are available; the Miracles have four or five classic titles available, Rare Earth has several albums available and smaller independent labels have issued albums by Willie Hutch and Tata Vega. Motown albums are more available than any other record company. I wouldn't say that. Atlantic has done an excellent job of getting many of its titles out on CD.

Indie, and overseas label subsidiaries have stepped up to the plate, but they are hard to get or find, are very expensive, or go OOP quite quickly, or all three.

It's true, no matter what comes out, you, as a collector, have to be on the ball. You have to watch for when things come out, when and where, and grab 'em! CDs don't sell as well as they used to, and many of us will not settle for bad sounding mp3s or AAC lossy downloads.

alexgarret
03-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Guess we're waiting for David's comments to be the end all

alexgarret
03-20-2013, 11:40 PM
And we've got nothing - surprise - not

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=blkfrost;154977] Artists I thought would get a CD re-issues have not or their material is way out of print.

High Inergy
BBR in Britain has reissued a couple of their albums on CD

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles [[1970s)
Smokey went solo in the early 70s, as you know, and "City of Angels" has been reissued on CD.
Rare Earth
Most of their Motown albums were reissued on CD in a boxed set several years ago. It's OOP.

Tata Vega, Willie Hutch
These two may have had a chart single or two, but were not big album sellers. I can see a comp, but I don't know if their albums would make any money.

Well, These two bands were 80s artists that arrived just in time for the CD age. It makes sense that these would see the laser light. Ozone? Hmmm...never heard of 'em. Did they die in a plane crash? :D

I'd like to see "Soul Sessions" reissued, but he has been anthologized.

Me, i'm still pushing for Switch's albums to be reissued stateside. Their first four albums, at least, have been reissued as various imports from Japan or the U.K.. I have "This Is My Dream".

Where the hell is Jermaine Jackson? I don't think any of his albums are on CD at all.

What happened to the rest of the Commodores albums? Half of them still aren't available on CD and some never were.

Some of Rick James' albums still need to be reissued on CD. I don't know what the deal is and who decides these things. But, there are some glaring omissions. The problem is that in the early 90s, Motown went through a big flurry of reissuing many titles on CD, then they quickly disappeared.

Too much talk about Diana Ross on CD. Let's get some other artists out there!

I agree... Jermaine Jackson's CD's need to get some release action.

soulster
03-21-2013, 12:07 AM
And if your'e having a hard time finding CD's of Motown album, you can also just buy a damn record player! LOL
And transfer them to digital like I do. I've done digital transfers of at least two Jermaine Jackson albums, four of the Switch albums, four Commodores albums, two Rick James albums, and a Jerry Butler album. I'f like to get them on CD or hi-rez.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
And transfer them to digital like I do. I've done digital transfers of at least two Jermaine Jackson albums, four of the Switch albums, four Commodores albums, two Rick James albums, and a Jerry Butler album. I'f like to get them on CD or hi-rez.

Yes, I do that all the time. There are many relatively rare albums I have that I KNOW will never get a CD release, so I find an EX- or better copy and transfer away. This way I can make a dupe and listen in my car as well. Any true music lover should never be without a turntable, there's just far too much that hasn't and won't come out on CD. I've noticed that Harry Weinger's favorites got preferential treatment on CD [[Temps, Marvin) and his assistant Andy's faves [[Supremes) get alot as well. I'm just glad we finally are getting some more Martha stuff, it's been a long time coming.

soulster
03-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Yes, I do that all the time. There are many relatively rare albums I have that I KNOW will never get a CD release, so I find an EX- or better copy and transfer away. This way I can make a dupe and listen in my car as well. Any true music lover should never be without a turntable, there's just far too much that hasn't and won't come out on CD. I've noticed that Harry Weinger's favorites got preferential treatment on CD [[Temps, Marvin) and his assistant Andy's faves [[Supremes) get alot as well. I'm just glad we finally are getting some more Martha stuff, it's been a long time coming.

Do you use the computer/software route, or do you use a standalone recorder? I record at 44.1/32-bit and do the restoration with various software and plugins. I then archive the hi-rez, redbook [[CD), and mp3 versions onto hard drives/servers. That way, I can have it all.

When the Four Tops left Motown, they went to ABC-Dunhill, but, since that company's catalog was bought by MCA, and MCA bought Motown, and they are now both owned by Universal Music, I would LOVE to see the ABC-Dunhill albums reissued on CD or in hi-rez on HD Tracks. Even their Casablanca album is under the UMe umbrella. How crazy it that?

I made nice needlrdrops of the first three For Tops albums on ABC-Dunhill. I may still have the "Catfish" LP, but I didn't like it, so I didn't bother. I almost did a transfer of "Indestructible" until I decided it just wasn't good enough to bother with.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Do you use the computer/software route, or do you use a standalone recorder? I record at 44.1/32-bit and do the restoration with various software and plugins. I then archive the hi-rez, redbook [[CD), and mp3 versions onto hard drives/servers. That way, I can have it all.

When the Four Tops left Motown, they went to ABC-Dunhill, but, since that company's catalog was bought by MCA, and MCA bought Motown, and they are now both owned by Universal Music, I would LOVE to see the ABC-Dunhill albums reissued on CD or in hi-rez on HD Tracks. Even their Casablanca album is under the UMe umbrella. How crazy it that?

I made nice needlrdrops of the first three For Tops albums on ABC-Dunhill. I may still have the "Catfish" LP, but I didn't like it, so I didn't bother. I almost did a transfer of "Indestructible" until I decided it just wasn't good enough to bother with.

I use a Philips stand alone CD recorder. I just make sure the quality of the album is good enough that it doesn't need any cleanup work. When it comes to stuff under the Universal umbrella, there is so much that I'd love to have, such as Grass Roots albums "Move Along", and "Alotta Mileage", and I REALLY want the 1975 Ralph Carter album "Young And In Love" to get a CD release. The damn vinyl goes for like 50 bucks [[In decent quality). That album is a Tom Moulton masterpiece. There's just tons of stuff on ABC/Dunhill that I'd love to see, Hamilton, Joe Frank, And Reynolds [[their first album got a universal Japan release, and is hard to find now)

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
I use a Philips stand alone CD recorder. I just make sure the quality of the album is good enough that it doesn't need any cleanup work. When it comes to stuff under the Universal umbrella, there is so much that I'd love to have, such as Grass Roots albums "Move Along", and "Alotta Mileage", and I REALLY want the 1975 Ralph Carter album "Young And In Love" to get a CD release. The damn vinyl goes for like 50 bucks [[In decent quality). That album is a Tom Moulton masterpiece. There's just tons of stuff on ABC/Dunhill that I'd love to see, Hamilton, Joe Frank, And Reynolds [[their first album got a universal Japan release, and is hard to find now)
I'd love to get Carl Carlton's 1975 album on ABC Records. It's kind of rare, too.

Philips? Some of their models are known for running digital streams through an extra D/A conversion to keep the record companies happy. Remember that Philips is also a record company like Sony is. I chose the computer method, though a much more involved process, because I can get exact results. I can make a beat-up record sound like a master tape.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 02:15 AM
I'd love to get Carl Carlton's 1975 album on ABC Records. It's kind of rare, too.

Philips? Some of their models are known for running digital streams through an extra through an extra D/A conversion to keep the record companies happy. Remember that Philips is also a record company like Sony is. I chose the computer method, though a much more involved process, because I can get exact results. I can make a beat-up record sound like a master tape.

I haven't used computer because I use audio cleaning lab and whenever I try to remove imperfections, it ends up giving the tracks a high, metallic echo or something. It maybe I just need a more expensive program. The philips machine has been working for me well. I don't use it to dupe CD's for the car... my brother has a professional Tascam CD duplicator that I use for that. I only use the Philips to transfer vinyl to CD. Can't remember the model right now, but I believe it was purchased in 2001.

soulster
03-21-2013, 03:03 AM
I haven't used computer because I use audio cleaning lab and whenever I try to remove imperfections, it ends up giving the tracks a high, metallic echo or something.

It maybe I just need a more expensive program.

I see. There are better NR tools out there, and it takes a lot of time and skill to find the right settings with the better NR software. I use iZotope RX and sometimes Adobe Audition. They don't come cheap. But, if you have clean vinyl and a good turntable with a good cart, you may not need to use noise cleanup, but you may need a good declicker. There is an excellent declicker for $40, and it is very easy to use.

That metallic sound you get when you use NR with that Audio Cleaning Lab means you overdo it. But, those rudimentary programs won't let you really tweak the results.

But, if what you do is working for you, by all means, stick with it.

Penny
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't HAVE it, I said I SAW it. And that has nothing to do with this thread, so shut the fuck up.

I didn't know we could use the word "fuck" on this board. Good to know we can because sometimes I have the kind of day only the word "fuck" describes it

Thank you jillfoster.

Penny;)
A Screwed AVON Rep

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I remember shortly after MJ's death I sought out to look for a "collection" of his greatest hits. The prices were OUTRAGEOUS; even local box-stores seem to have jumped on the bandwagon and inflated his music. I suppose the saying goes you're only as hot as your latest hit or death.

Same thing for WH. Her greatest hits collection that was selling for $8.99 suddenly skyrocketed to $15.99 or better.

ralpht
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Penny,
As long as the word is used in good taste.....I've had a few of those days myself.

soulster
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I remember shortly after MJ's death I sought out to look for a "collection" of his greatest hits. The prices were OUTRAGEOUS; even local box-stores seem to have jumped on the bandwagon and inflated his music. I suppose the saying goes you're only as hot as your latest hit or death.

Same thing for WH. Her greatest hits collection that was selling for $8.99 suddenly skyrocketed to $15.99 or better.
Really? where have you been shopping? Because I did not see any increases in MJ's CDs. but, it didn't matter to me because I had them all anyway.

Now, Whitney Houston? Yeah, Sony did jack up the price to top line prices.

soulster
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Penny,
As long as the word is used in good taste.....I've had a few of those days myself.

One in a while, I will use cuss words because sometimes, it's the only thing that will work.

blkfrost
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Thank you for the replies. I do have most if not all of the re-issues on CD and as soon as something new is released I jump on it. I would love to see the complete Jr. Walker, Willie Hutch, Rare Earth and other Motown artists catalogs released. Three of my favorite Smokey Robinson and the Miracles albums [[Pocketful of Miracles, One Dozen Roses and Flying High) have not been released on CD. It would be a pleasure to have them.

Yes, I do have a record player and have converted a few to digital format... just converted the lps by Leslie Uggams and Diahann Carroll. I play vinyl at home, but when I am at the gym or away from home I like taking my music with me.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
In WH's case, I know for certain that Target jacked up the price. I almost want to say her double CD was reticketed at $19.99, but I could be wrong. I only remeber it being more than I anticipated.

In MJ's case, I actually went to a REAL independent CD store [[Cheapo Records). All of Michael's titles were repriced at least $5.00 more.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
P.S. I like to swear too.

A LOT.

Just not on the microphone, 'cause I am a lady.

Kamasu_Jr
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Mary, I got that Whitney Greatest hits, the import for $5.00. After she and Michael Jackson died, the prices on their stuff was hiked, but the market was flooded with their stuff. Some of it can be bought cheap.

soulster
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Mary, I got that Whitney Greatest hits, the import for $5.00. After she and Michael Jackson died, the prices on their stuff was hiked, but the market was flooded with their stuff. Some of it can be bought cheap.
I just found a CD of "Blood On The Dance Floor" for $3.99. It was the only MJ CD I didn't have, so I have it now. I haven't even played it. I just ripped it to the hard drive and tagged it.

marybrewster
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Wow, that was a deal! I see most of it has come down since; I think around Christmastime WH was about $9.99. Not bad for a 2 CD set. What I haven't figured out with her death is there really hasn't been a lot of releases since; greatest hits packages, unreleased cuts, etc.

They did recently release one set, but the track listing has me scratching me head.

thommg
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I didn't notice anything on Michael's cd's after his death, but then, I didn't look. After Whitney passed, though, the prices jumped and cd's that you couldn't find previously in stores were suddenly available at regular prices. About 6 months later, though, all of the prices came back down and I ws able to get the few I didn't have at J&R in New York City - all for under $6.00 a cd. I guess the immediate rush warrants the prices but if you wait a little longer you can save a lot.

Roberta75
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Penny,

Telling another member to shut the f**k up on a public forum isnt in good taste Ralph and it isnt classy and it isnt nice IMO.

Have a lovely day.

Roberta

144man
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
One in a while, I will use cuss words because sometimes, it's the only thing that will work.

There's a time and a place for swearing such as when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Usually when writing on a forum, there will be a better word to express yourself, but I agree that there will be certain circumstances when only swearing will be effective as an outlet for pent-up emotions. Nevertheless it should be kept to a minimum as overuse will reduce its impact and effectiveness.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Telling another member to shut the f**k up on a public forum isnt in good taste Ralph and it isnt classy and it isnt nice IMO.

Have a lovely day.

Roberta

It's also not classy to bring drama and accusation from one thread into another completely unrelated when people are trying to have a discussion. But I notice you say nothing about that. Now I think everyone would appreciate it if you would quit trying to scold me like some nun in a catholic school and allow us to talk about the subject at hand.

soulster
03-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Anyway, didn't I read something recently about Jerry Butler's "Suite For The Single Girl" being issued on CD soon, or am I imagining it?

Roberta75
03-21-2013, 05:36 PM
You can think what you like my dear man but you arent in any position to be lecturing folks about class. One can repremand without using vile cuss words IMO.

Roberta

It's also not classy to bring drama and accusation from one thread into another completely unrelated when people are trying to have a discussion. But I notice you say nothing about that. Now I think everyone would appreciate it if you would quit trying to scold me like some nun in a catholic school and allow us to talk about the subject at hand.

calvin
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Anyway, didn't I read something recently about Jerry Butler's "Suite For The Single Girl" being issued on CD soon, or am I imagining it?

Yes as a two-fer with Love's On The Menu, from SoulMusic. Mine arrived a few days ago.

calvin
03-21-2013, 06:06 PM
But back to the original post...

The two Ozone 2-fers recently released came from Expansion Records. They also put out the 1st Cuba Gooding Album / Love Dancer a few months ago. I also wonder how/why these titles were chosen. SoulMusic and BBR [[and sometimes Funky Town Grooves) seem to have "bigger" Motown releases from the 70s/80s. Is the licensing cheaper for these from Cuba Gooding and Ozone than for, say, the 70s Originals or Miracles releases?

Several Willie Hutch albums have been out on cd. Some were out of print, then I guess new batches got printed up or something, because they were available again the last couple of years - The Mack, Fully Exposed, Foxy Brown, Mark of the Beast, and Ode to My Lady. I'm not sure about Concert in Blues, Color Her Sunshine, or Havin' a House Party - I haven't seen them.

Tata Vega's Full Speed Ahead and Totally Tata are out there in expanded editions from SoulMusic. But the two following LPs - Try My Love and Givin' All My Love, were not [[as far as I know) released. I wonder, is that because the first two didn't sell so well, or because the people at SoulMusic think the other two are inferior?

calvin
03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Univeral has allowed several other labels to reissue Motown titles - Ace, Reel Music, SoulMusic, BBR, Funky Town Grooves, and Expansion, among others.

But I can imagine that Universal reserves some artists/titles just for themselves. Might it be that we don't see some of the Commodores or Rick James cds because Universal wants to keep these for themselves, then just doesn't get around to releasing them?

And yes, The Four Tops... a few years ago Shout released a 2-fer with the two Casablanca LPs [[Tonight & One More Mountain). But what about the ABC Dunhill LPs???

calvin
03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I found it odd when Hip-O released The Miracles' "City of Angels", because at the time it was the only one of the Miracles' post-Smokey Motown albums that *was* already available on cd [[Renaissance / Do It Baby were subsequently released) - The Miracles "Essential Collection" on Spectrum is City Of Angels plus a few bonus tracks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Collection-Miracles/dp/B00005Q8UD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363906113&sr=1-1

soulster
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
I found it odd when Hip-O released The Miracles' "City of Angels", because at the time it was the only one of the Miracles' post-Smokey Motown albums that *was* already available on cd [[Renaissance / Do It Baby were subsequently released) - The Miracles "Essential Collection" on Spectrum is City Of Angels plus a few bonus tracks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Collection-Miracles/dp/B00005Q8UD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363906113&sr=1-1
That is because reissuing something domestically in the U.S. gets better distribution and improved sound quality. There is also the possibility of improved liner notes, artwork, and possibly bonus tracks.

For our overseas friends; imports aren't that easy to obtain in the U.S., despite online ordering, which many people are reluctant to do.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
That is because reissuing something domestically in the U.S. gets better distribution and improved sound quality. There is also the possibility of improved liner notes, artwork, and possibly bonus tracks.

For our overseas friends; imports aren't that easy to obtain in the U.S., despite online ordering, which many people are reluctant to do.

Improved sound quality? What about Universal Japan? I've always heard from people most anything from Japan across the board sounds better mastering wise than anything produced anywhere else. do you disagree with this? And as far imports, I've had very good luck with importcds.com.

calvin
03-21-2013, 07:53 PM

I think it was pretty easy to find, and still is, on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Essential-Collection/dp/B00005Q8UD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363910231&sr=1-1&keywords=the+miracles+essential

Sure, I can understand that it is improved. But I would rather have seen one of the others that was still unreleased. And Don't Cha Love It and The Power of Music remain unreleased - I hope Hip-O will get to them.

And I seem to recall Harry, in this forum, mentioning that one of the considerations on releasing a Jr Walker box was that a few of the titles had already been released. Those releases could also stand a remastering and improved liner notes.

soulster
03-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Calvin, one other thing about issuing something domestically is that it can be legally downloaded here in the states. As you know, the majority of music is sold via download these days, and certain copyright laws prevent legally downloading from other countries' websites. I cannot download anything from Amazon U.K. or iTunes U.K., for instance. A domestic release means those who prefer to download can have the album too.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Calvin, one other thing about issuing something domestically is that it can be legally downloaded here in the states. As you know, the majority of music is sold via download these days, and certain copyright laws prevent legally downloading from other countries' websites. I cannot download anything from Amazon U.K. or iTunes U.K., for instance. A domestic release means those who prefer to download can have the album too.

Now see, that is something that needs to be rectified. You can certainly play any CD in any part of the world, there has never been any of that region coding hoo-ha in music, so there needs to be an international agreement to address this.

soulster
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Now see, that is something that needs to be rectified. You can certainly play any CD in any part of the world, there has never been any of that region coding hoo-ha in music, so there needs to be an international agreement to address this. Tell that to the RIAA, publishers, and the artists.

jillfoster
03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Tell that to the RIAA, publishers, and the artists.

I don't understand their issue here. Wouldn't more people available for download of product equal more sales? If you purchase a download, the product just travels over wires instead of planes, like a physical import CD. It's stupid.

calvin
03-22-2013, 03:39 AM
I don't understand their issue here. Wouldn't more people available for download of product equal more sales? If you purchase a download, the product just travels over wires instead of planes, like a physical import CD. It's stupid.

With video, the rights are sometimes owned by different companies in different regions. I'm not sure if that's the case in music. But companies in general - not just media - often like to charge different prices in different regions. If people could download from anywhere, many would go to whichever market has the lowest price [[with physical cds, there are extra shipping costs and longer delivery times, it's still worth doing sometimes but often not). I guess that's what the music companies want to prevent. I'm not saying it should be this way, but just why it might be.

You make a very good point about availability - not everything is available everywhere for mp3. Someone just asked in another thread about getting an mp3 download of Sisters Love With Love. That's available as a download in the US but apparently not in the UK. Some time ago someone asked about Teena Marie's Wild and Peaceful from Hip-O - it's long since sold out but available as an mp3 download in the US, but not in the UK. Why not in the UK? Since the cd is no longer available, I guess Universal is losing some sales here on that.

And recently it was pointed out in this forum that a few hard-to-find old cds are now available for mp3 download, including The Temptations' Solid Rock and Diana Ross & The Supremes Farewell [[Captured Live On Stage) - but again, these are not available in the UK. Why not? Technically and logistically it should be extremely easy to make these downloads available here, legally I don't know.

[[The two older Motown releases that I hope are made available for mp3 download are Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' What Love Has Joined Together, and The Originals' Portrait of the Originals, as these are the two that I don't have on cd and they're very expensive used.)

calvin
03-22-2013, 03:43 AM
And regarding what is selected for release on cd - I've asked this question before but I haven't seen an answer yet: why did the Smokey solo series end [[apparently) after Being With You? Maybe sales were not good and someone higher up at Universal pulled the plug on the series?

blkfrost
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
But back to the original post...

The two Ozone 2-fers recently released came from Expansion Records. They also put out the 1st Cuba Gooding Album / Love Dancer a few months ago. I also wonder how/why these titles were chosen. SoulMusic and BBR [[and sometimes Funky Town Grooves) seem to have "bigger" Motown releases from the 70s/80s. Is the licensing cheaper for these from Cuba Gooding and Ozone than for, say, the 70s Originals or Miracles releases?

Several Willie Hutch albums have been out on cd. Some were out of print, then I guess new batches got printed up or something, because they were available again the last couple of years - The Mack, Fully Exposed, Foxy Brown, Mark of the Beast, and Ode to My Lady. I'm not sure about Concert in Blues, Color Her Sunshine, or Havin' a House Party - I haven't seen them.

Tata Vega's Full Speed Ahead and Totally Tata are out there in expanded editions from SoulMusic. But the two following LPs - Try My Love and Givin' All My Love, were not [[as far as I know) released. I wonder, is that because the first two didn't sell so well, or because the people at SoulMusic think the other two are inferior?

In a sense, that was my question... why some releases over others. After the release of the two Tata Vega CDs, I wrote to SoulMusic asking if they were planning to release the remaining two albums [[since SoulMusic released all of Dynamic Superiors). I did not get a reply.

When Soul Brothers released the three Willie Hutch albums I thought the remaining one would have followed. Concert in Blues is my favorite.

soulster
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
And regarding what is selected for release on cd - I've asked this question before but I haven't seen an answer yet: why did the Smokey solo series end [[apparently) after Being With You? Maybe sales were not good and someone higher up at Universal pulled the plug on the series? You can only fit so much on a CD, and there had to be a limit to how many CDs would be put in a package. Something had to be left out to keep the price point at a certain rate. That's the most logical thing I can think of.

In a sense, that was my question... why some releases over others. After the release of the two Tata Vega CDs, I wrote to SoulMusic asking if they were planning to release the remaining two albums [[since SoulMusic released all of Dynamic Superiors). I did not get a reply.

Don't you hate it when record labels don't care enough about their customers to give them a reply?

calvin
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
You can only fit so much on a CD, and there had to be a limit to how many CDs would be put in a package. Something had to be left out to keep the price point at a certain rate. That's the most logical thing I can think of.

Don't you hate it when record labels don't care enough about their customers to give them a reply?

The Smokey cds were coming out as a series of single cds. Volume 1 [[Smokey & Pure Smokey) was released around September 2010. They were coming out quickly for a while - after all, they were pretty much "straight releases", sometimes with a bonus track or two but nothing that was previously unreleased - and we were up to Volume 6 [[Warm Thoughts & Being With You) by December 2011. Then they just stopped, there's been nothing since then. But Smokey released several more albums with Motown, including 3 that I think have never appeared on cd - Yes, It's You Lady, Touch The Sky, and Essar.

I also wrote to Universal asking what happened to the series but received no reply. :[[

jillfoster
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Well, I'm just gonna put this one out there. There is one holy grail in my book that I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see on a CD reissue, with bonus tracks [[If any exist) and that is STONEY AND MEATLOAF. PLEASE! I love that album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMAy-OWogQ

johnjeb
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, I'm just gonna put this one out there. There is one holy grail in my book that I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see on a CD reissue, with bonus tracks [[If any exist) and that is STONEY AND MEATLOAF. PLEASE! I love that album!

I love that album, too. A few years ago I tried to persuade Reel Music to release this but Paul wasn't familiar with the album and our discussion petered out.

Besides the Rare Earth album [[528) from 1971, there was a Prodigal album [[10029), from 1978 released to capitalize on Meatloaf's fame, that had three tracks [[Meatloaf solos, as I recall): "Stone Heart", "Who Is The Leader Of The People", and "Everything Under The Sun", that were not on the original album.

There is also the single of "The Way You Do The Things You Do" [[5033) from 1971 [[TCMS VOL 11B-Disc 1) that was not on the original album or the "reissue" album.