PDA

View Full Version : Motown 30

test

marybrewster
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Much has been discussed about Motown 25, but I'm wondering if anyone can give insight to Motown 30?

I understand The Tempts/Tops were there along with Stevie, Smokey and Gladys, but was there anyone else? Martha? Diana? Mary Wells or Wilson?

And can someone explain: Motown 25 was in 1983; Motown 30 was 7? years later in 1990.

motony
03-18-2013, 04:13 PM
there was Motown At The Apollo in late 80's., the Motown "30" if that was what it was called was when Mary Wells had throat cancer & was sitting in audiance & they did a little tribute.I don't remember much else about it.

Methuselah2
03-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Program info
[[seems it was meant as a tribute to a 30-yr. time period):

http://mytvlog.blogspot.com/2011/02/motown-30-whats-goin-on-1990-tv.html?m=1

And here's Part 1 of the program
[[YouTube has additional parts, as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZU0tTSS8qQ

johnny_raven
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
I do remember that Jean, Scherrie & Lynda were on stage during the end credits.

reese
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
MOTOWN 30 was less about celebrating Motown, and more about celebrating black entertainment. There were relatively few classic Motown acts, besides Smokey, Stevie, Gladys, the Tempts, and Tops. Other acts included Patti LaBelle, Michael Bolton, Wilhemenia Fernandez, Terence Trent d'Arby, and Tramaine Hawkins.

The show was built around segments featuring Robert Townsend, with Meshach Taylor and Dawnn Lewis as his parents, and Marla Gibb as his grandmother. When the family got their first tv, the grandmother complains that she prefers radio, until Nat King Cole appears on the tv.

In the 60s, the family is watching I SPY when the news bulletin interrupts saying that MLK had been killed, before Tracy Chapman sang A CHANGE IS GONNA COME.

In the 70s, the grandmother wants to watch SOUL TRAIN, but the kids want to watch an African documentary, which leads to a Debbie Allen segment on the history of dance.

The last segment has the family gathering to watch MOTOWN 25, arguing over who was better [[The Tempts or Tops), which leads to the groups recreating their segment from MOTOWN 25.

Ngroove
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
MOTOWN 30 was less about celebrating Motown, and more about celebrating black entertainment. There were relatively few classic Motown acts, besides Smokey, Stevie, Gladys, the Tempts, and Tops. Other acts included Patti LaBelle, Michael Bolton, Wilhemenia Fernandez, Terence Trent d'Arby, and Tramaine Hawkins.

Noticeably, on a skit and and a performance, the Boys [[a then-today Motown hitmaker, since 1988's "Dial My Heart"), was also there, and performed their No.1 R&B hit of the day, "Crazy". As they were brothers, promoted as "the new Jackson Five", they were truly entertaining; too sad that, despite them saying they hope to inspire from their performing, two years later, they would be gone, at least from performing America-wise.

Ngroove
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Much has been discussed about Motown 25, but I'm wondering if anyone can give insight to Motown 30?

I understand The Tempts/Tops were there along with Stevie, Smokey and Gladys, but was there anyone else? Martha? Diana? Mary Wells or Wilson?

And can someone explain: Motown 25 was in 1983; Motown 30 was 7? years later in 1990.

1957 was the year Berry was working on Jackie Wilson records, and meeting Smokey & the "Matadors"; perhaps the start of what would eventually, by 1959 [[Just a few years back, 2009, everything was all Motown 50), be Motown.

jillfoster
03-19-2013, 12:28 AM
I remember how thrilled I was to hear Whoopi say she wanted to be Mary. You go, Whoopi!

REDHOT
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Yes Jillforster,Whoopi gave Mary some love,i'm sure Motown wasn't happy about that lol
Please stay positive