PDA

View Full Version : Favorite album by each of these artists?

test

thomas96
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
-Temptations
-Marvin Gaye
-Four Tops
-Jr. Walker & the All Stars
-Gladys Knight & the Pips
-Stevie Wonder [[pre "Where I'm Coming From")
-Stevie Wonder [[post "Where I'm Coming From")

Just curious....

Here's mine:

-Temptations With A Lot O' Soul
-In the Groove [[I Heard It Through the Grapevine)
-Four Tops [[self titled)
-Rainbow Soul or Shotgun
-Everybody Needs Love
-Up-tight
-Innervisions

Kamasu_Jr
03-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Temptin' Ttemptations ; How Sweet It Is, Marvin Gaye; Four Tops; Road Runner, Jr. Walker; Feelin' Bluesy; Uptight and Songs IN The Key Of Life.

Methuselah2
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
This will probably sound like a fast-and-loose response but all of the early GREATEST HITS albums always felt like finding a huge surprise in the record stores. Other Motown albums you could sense would be forthcoming but the GREATEST HITS ones just seemed to turn up unexpectedly. Always the same design but in different colors for the various artists. The Jr. Walker & the All Stars' one with a bit of a typeface change in appearance. And the Supremes' double one in its own design, completely different from the others. Albums could always be a dicey proposition--but not those GREATEST HITS ones. A sure thing if ever there was one.

But there are 2 non-greatest hits albums that I was always extremely fond of: The Supremes/MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES--a terrific production; and The Marvelettes/THE MARVELETTES [[a.k.a. THE PINK ALBUM)--wonderful songs with their own wonderful leads. Two albums I can simply hear in my head at any time.

soulster
03-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Temptations
With A Lot Of Soul

Marvin Gaye
What's Going On
Trouble Man
Here, My Dear

Four Tops
Keeper Of The Castle
Main Street People
Meeting Of The Minds

Jr. Walker & the All Stars
Soul Sessions

Gladys Knight & the Pips
Imagination
I Feel A Song
About Love

Stevie Wonder [[pre "Where I'm Coming From")
Where I'm Coming From

Stevie Wonder [[post "Where I'm Coming From")
Music Of My Mind
Talking Book
Innervisions
Songs In The Key Of Life
Hotter Than July

Clearly, my interest and likes are mostly in the 70s. For all other albums and artists mentioned, I prefer the comps.

thomas96
03-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Soulster- Although I am more of a 60's fan [[clearly by my picks), I respect your opinion, and do very much like everything you've mentioned. The only one I'm unfamiliar is is "Meeting Of The Minds." Was that on Motown, or ABC-Dunhill, or other? I'll check it out. Thanks for your opinion.

And to Methuselah2 - I love all the Greatest Hits album, but I should've mentioned to not include those, considering they are the "GREATEST HITS." But, I meant like favorite album with your favorite album fillers or b-sides, etc. The comp's are all the hits obviously, but as you know there is a lot of material that never sold and I am just curious as to what people like that weren't hits. My main goal in this thread was to learn of some more great, obscure songs that I didn't know before. Oh, and I totally agree on your Supremes and Marvelettes picks! Love those two albums!

Kamasu - Thanks, I agree with all of those, though I need to listen to Temptin' again and Feelin' Bluesy. Haven't listened to the "Bluesy side" in a while! Hahaha I love that about that album.

soulster
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Soulster- Although I am more of a 60's fan [[clearly by my picks), I respect your opinion, and do very much like everything you've mentioned. The only one I'm unfamiliar is is "Meeting Of The Minds." Was that on Motown, or ABC-Dunhill, or other? I'll check it out. Thanks for your opinion.E]

Oh! That was also on ABC/Dunhill. It came out in 1974 and had the hit singles "One Chain Don't Make No Prison", "Sweet Understanding Love", and "Midnight Flower".

Those three ABC/Dunhill Records were the best albums they ever did, IMO. They were all listed as produced by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter, but from interviews, it is revealed that they were really produced by Lawrence Payton. They are also the group's favorite period. To me, they reveal that they were actually a pop group, not necessarily R&B.

I seriously dig the Temptations, but, honestly, their five disc boxed set, and a scant few of their albums pretty much does it for me. I grew up on mostly the 45s.

I love 60s and 70s music, but, I can't just focus on one era, genre, or record company. I like it all!

thomas96
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I love 60s and 70s music, but, I can't just focus on one era, genre, or record company. I like it all!

Very true, I agree completely. I love Motown 60's and 70's, Stax, Atlantic, Philly International, James Brown, etc. The greatest thing about music as a whole is there is so much out there that is fantastic. The possibilities are endless and I'm always finding new things to listen to.

Thanks for that info on the Four Tops. I thought "Sweet Understanding Love" was on Main Street People, or is it on both? I love all their ABC/Dunhill stuff, its awesome and funky, and the fact that they were really produced by Lawrence if amazing! I knew he did all the vocal arrangements but all the production too! Unsung hero right there. Thanks.