PDA

View Full Version : Hattie Littles/LOVE, TROUBLE, HEARTACHE AND MISERY [2005]

test

Methuselah2
03-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Written by: Ivy Jo Hunter & William 'Mickey' Stevenson.

Recorded circa 1965, it would take about another 40 years for this one to see the light of day on A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!, Volume 2 [[2005). I'm just grateful that it did--and to those who discovered this brilliantly shining gem lying in wait in Motown's cellar.

An absolutely terrific tune that simply explodes. I know it was posted on SDF a few years back but a recent mention of Hattie by Kenneth in another thread brought both Hattie's sensational voice and this stellar orchestration to mind.

Thought it certainly wouldn't hurt to post it again now, particularly for those unfamiliar with it. And even for those who know it well.

How. Did. This. One. Get. Put. Aside? Any thoughts or information you might have? I like Kim Weston's version that's included on KIM WESTON: THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY--but I have to say I think Hattie's is clearly THE ONE--HATTIE'S IS IT! Just no doubt about it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksaBM7HWHuQ

Kamasu_Jr
03-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Hattie, The Andantes and the Funks were on fire in the Snakepit that day. Personally, I THINK Hattie LITTLES OWNED THE song. SHE LIVED THOSE LYRICS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU KNEW WHAT SHE WAS GOING THROUGH WITH Motown AND IN HER PERSONAL LIFE AT THE TIME. I don't even play Kim Weston's version.

keith_h
03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
I have asked the same question of many of the tracks that have appeared on the various Cellarful compilations. One in particular is 'Jealousy is creeping up on me', which absolutely explodes from the speakers from the start. I imagine the answer is, in a particular week, when they had top quality releases from the premier division artists such as Four Tops, Supremes, Marvin, Martha etc, and they are all put before quality control, then anything that might not get to the top echelons of the charts got rejected.

keith_h
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
PS: I think Kim Westons version sounds all wrong.

johnny_raven
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
PS: I think Kim Westons version sounds all wrong.

It's too MOR, I wish Kim's version used Hattie's track.