PDA

View Full Version : Motown Musical: Official Thread

test

Pages : [1] 2

skooldem1
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Today is the day that the Motown Musical opens for previews on Broadway. Please post any pictures or reviews that you come across.

smark21
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Here's a message board thread on Motown the Musical at broadway.com.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1057480&dt=30

Roberta75
03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Here's a message board thread on Motown the Musical at broadway.com.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1057480&dt=30

Is it mostly homosexual gentlemen that posts on the broadwayworld website smark21? My homosexual nephew and his friends and my homosexual coworkers and friends are real real knowledeable when it come to Broadway plays. I'm going to recomend this site to them. The funny thing is my lesbian lady friends could care less about Broadway musicals.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

milven
03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Is it mostly homosexual gentlemen that posts on the broadwayworld website smark21? My homosexual nephew and his friends and my homosexual coworkers and friends are real real knowledeable when it come to Broadway plays. I'm going to recomend this site to them. The funny thing is my lesbian lady friends could care less about Broadway musicals.

Roberta

I'm perplexed by your question. Is your belief that only homosexual gentlemen are interested in theater? I don't dare ask what your conclusion is about people who like watermellon?

Roberta75
03-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm perplexed by your question. Is your belief that only homosexual gentlemen are interested in theater? I don't dare ask what your conclusion is about people who like watermellon?

Oh I dont mean to offend abyone Milvin so please forgive me as that wasnt my intent i was only asking if it was a website for homosexual gentlemen so I could recomend it to my homosexual nephew and my homosexual gentlemen friends. The homosexual gentlemen that I know sure know a lot about musical theater and I maen that as a compliment.

That said however your watermellon comment could be misconstrud as real insulting.

Roberta

milven
03-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Both the watermelon and the theatre comment can be construed as insulting. That is the point that I was making. Most of the audience in a Broadway Theatre is not gay. And not all gay people like theatre. I realize that you were not trying to offend anyone.

Back on topic, tomorrow UMG is releasing a CD of the music that inspired MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. And they are also releasing a two CD deluxe version.

I think the musical only covers the first 25 years of Motown

Roberta75
03-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Both the watermelon and the theatre comment can be construed as insulting. That is the point that I was making. Most of the audience in a Broadway Theatre is not gay. And not all gay people like theatre. I realize that you were not trying to offend anyone.

Back on topic, tomorrow UMG is releasing a CD of the music that inspired MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. And they are also releasing a two CD deluxe version.

I think the musical only covers the first 25 years of Motown

Thank you as i was never meant to insult anyone so I am real happy we are ok and not insulted or offended.

Im looking forward to hearing from folks who go see the Motown musical this week.

Fondly.

Roberta

milven
03-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes, we are okay :) I am looking forward to reading what the professional critics say when it opens next month. As a Motown lover, I am going with a positive attitude and expect to enjoy it

Roberta75
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Yes, we are okay :) I am looking forward to reading what the professional critics say when it opens next month. As a Motown lover, I am going with a positive attitude and expect to enjoy it

Here is something to tease you until then Milven.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/valisia-lekae-diana-ross-stylish-encore-article-1.1283363

smark21
03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Here are the comments of someone who attended last night's show at the broadway message board:

I'm just getting home from Motown; the show got out at 11:05 and could do with a little trimming. I think it would be unfair to say it's bad or awful, and while I certainly wouldn't call it well-crafted, it does have some things going for it.

For the record Morgan James is just fine in a handful of roles. I just couldn't resist reminding us of her tweets during Shakespeare in the Park. Well, Motown isn't Sondheim and it sure ain't Shakespeare neither! Maybe she should keep in mind something from her previous Broadway credit: Those who exalt themselves shall be humbled, and those who humble themselves shall be exalted.

But back to Motown. The good is that these people can sing and dance their asses off, and they keep the energy level at a 10 for the entire show. When the production focuses on the songs it can explode- numbers like Dancing in the Street and the Jackson Five sequences had the crowd going wild.

If I counted correctly the show lists SIXTY-FIVE numbers in the song list. Many of the songs are only performed for about 90 seconds, but still it's a lot of material to get through. I realize they have such a crazy catalog to pick from, but it's too much. Plus when you hear so many songs it just makes the show feel so damn long.

I like they didn't skimp on ensemble members. Still, like in Baby, It's You everyone plays four different roles. There are costume and wig changes galore. In fact it often feels like Baby, It's You, but with more money, actual sets instead of cheap projections, better choreography, slicker direction and no Beth.

The book is really atrocious and took some balls to write. It really is the greatest love letter to oneself that you can imagine. Even Yoko didn't go this far giving herself sainthood in Lennon. The story is framed by Motown's 25th anniversary and Berry doesn't want to go to the party. All the people that he helped create, all the stars who he gave his blood, sweat and tears to have all left him. They were ungrateful for all the hard work he did. Why should he celebrate?

We then go back to 1938 and watch his story unfold. He grows up and discovers act after act. Turning each one into a star and growing Motown into the greatest record company in the history of the universe. It becomes a parade of acts with zero character development, save Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson. Pretty much everyone else shows up, but they are trotted out like a pageant show and then whisked off just as easily.

Amusingly the audience gave entrance applause for each act as if the real artist was there performing. The guy who played Stevie Wonder had a knockout voice, but I don't think he uttered a line of dialogue.

I liked Valisia LeKae who played Ross. I thought she really had her down and looked great in the costumes and wigs.

Brandon Victor Dixon was in superb voice, but despite the heavy stage time didn't have much to work with.

I guess the overall feeling of the show was like watching an American Idol results show that was in tribute to Berry Gordy. Seacrest would narrate about all the accomplishments Gordy had achieved and the cast of idol hopefuls would perform choreographed medleys and encourage the audience to get on their feet and sing along. [[Yes there is audience participation, and yes you do get to sing along with Diana!)

I guess the biggest disappointment is with all ego and trite dialogue in the book, the show is somehow able to emerge completely camp free.

Frankly I think they should scrap the book [[that'll never happen) and just perform the numbers Smokey Joe's Cafe style. It doesn't matter though because I think this will be a big hit and run for a year or two. The critics can try to rip it to shreds if they want, but I don't think it will matter. It's got too much energy and delivers the catalog which, I assume, is what the audience wants.

smark21
03-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Here's a more succinct report from someone who attended [[though they're wrong about the understudy--it was the Berry Gordy kid understudy, not the adult understudy, who was on stage last night).

Saw the first preview tonight. I don't know which part is worse:

The 3-hour running time;
The 20-minute intermission;
The participative audience that sang along all throughout the show;
The disruptive audience who couldn't hold there bladder [[I stopped counting at 20 who stood up);
The engaged audience talking back to the actors;
The drinking, eating and texting audience;
The lack/missed lighting spots;
The lack of artistic recreation of events;
The mediocre actors [[the Berry Gordy understudy went on for the lead);
OR
The terrible writing, throwing everything like it's a Spanish omelet. It's suppose to be good, no need for extra ingredients. The music is heavenly. Just tell the story as it is.

Plus side: great costumes and set design.

Penny
03-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh no does this mean this musical might not make it? I hope they still have time to fix the bad parts.

Penny:eek:

REDHOT
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks Roberta for sharing this review with us,i can't wait to see it,
Please stay positive

revvy
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm in NYC right now, folks, and I'm telling you there are promotions for this show all over the city. I'm seeing it tomorrow night and will report the good, the bad and the ugly to you all here on the forum. So they are saying this a high-priced "Baby It's You", eh? I saw that show and it was pretty good, but it moved way too fast and obviously wasn't a high-budget production. Even Jersey Boys made several changes to the original production in La Jolla before it ever came to Broadway. I'm sure the powers that be will make some major changes to Motown at it will be just fine. It has to go through growing pains like any other creative endeavor. Remember even the Supremes were raw in their infancy. Keep the faith and hold on to the vision!

dba
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Folks keep in mind that the show does not officially open till April 14th. Giving them ample time to tinker, shorter, tighten etc. This is why shows have previews to perfect them. I doubt when this officially opens it will be longer than 2.5 hours with an intermission break.

SupremeBoy
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm on BWW and both straight and gay theater lovers post.

David J
03-13-2013, 06:15 AM
‘Motown: the Musical’ star Valisia LeKae strikes a pose as Diana Ross in exclusive Daily News photo

Broadway previews start Monday in show about the life of record-industry pioneer Berry Gordy

Comments [[1) [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/#commentpostform) By Joe Dziemianowicz [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/authors?author=Joe Dziemianowicz)/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, March 11, 2013, 6:00 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1283361.1362774871!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/diana11f-2-web.jpg

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/valisia-lekae-diana-ross-stylish-encore-article-1.1283363#ixzz2NPhLF2gU

milven
03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I got to see a preview of MOTOWN THE MUSICAL last night. We loved it and so did the audience. I don’t know what the critics will think. I was watching it as a fan, not a critic. It again ended at 11:05 so some trimming will have to be done before the official opening. It has over sixty songs in it [[mostly snippets) so some of them can be eliminated.

The musical opens with a rehearsal of Motown 25. Then it moves to Berry’s home where Suzanne is trying to convince Berry to attend. Then there is a flashback to Berry’s youth which tells his story of working on Ford assembly line, boxing, writing for Jackie Wilson, starting his own company etc. And the love story of Diana and Berry...

There are three new songs in the show. Two of them were terrific, “It’s In the Groove That Counts” and “Hail to the Beat”.

It’s amazing that they could tell a twenty five year history of Motown between songs in such a short period of time. I was able to follow it, but I wonder if the non-Motown fan could. To me there were unnecessary parts that could have been eliminated, like some segment with Doris Day and another with Tony Bennett.. Those segments were just ego trips for Berry Gordy.

In a post above, it was suggested that they scrap the book and just do the songs as they did in SMOKEY JOE’S CAFÉ. I disagree. I say get rid of some of the songs, get rid of some of the Berry ego trips in the book and make the book a little stronger.

Brandon Victor Dixon, who played Berry Gordy has a terrific voice.
Michael Jackson was played by the understudy last night and Monday night. My guess is he will get the part permanently . He was terrific.

It was Berry’s idea for Diana to do a waltz record for her solo debut. Diana was against it. Her solo debut was not selling out and it showed how Berry gave torn twenty dollars bills to people on the street with the promise of getting the other half after they attend Diana’s show. They showed the Diana character singing Reach Out and Touch. She had a little trouble getting the Broadway audience to participate because theatre has an impenetrable invisible fourth wall. When the audience realized that it was okay, they participated, she reached over the lights and shook hands with an audience member in the first row and then brought her up on stage to sing with her. The Diana character was taken aback at how well the audience member sounded.

The Motown songs were at their best when they were used to move the book along. Diana and Berry sang YOU’RE ALL I NEED. When Diana told Berry that she was offered a multi million dollar deal with RCA, they sang REMEMBER ME to each other.

The show progressed and finished where it started, with MOTOWN 25. Diana character looked exactly like the real Diana at Motown 25 with the same outfit and hair style. Just like the real Diana , she made her entrance from the back of the theatre and walked down the isle to the stage. Mary was there with her red outfit and Cindy with her white outfit. But there was no SOMEDAY segment or drama. Diana sang Ain't No Mountain and the other Motown singers gathered on stage and joined in. Then Diana gave her “it’s not who leaves but who comes back” speech and called Berry on stage. She said to him, no matter where you are, no matter how far, I’ll be there in a hurry , on that you can depend and never worry” [[I thought that was corny)

I watched it as a fan of the music and of theatre and not a critic. I am sure that some changes will be made before the official opening. I attended the show for a good time and a good feeling. In that the show succeeded. I hope the critics are kind. I intend to see it again after it officially opens.

jobeterob
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Awesome; sounds good to me. I would love to see it.

LuvHangOva
03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the insight... Now I'm even more excited about the show!! So awesome that they're using "Remember Me" at that point in the show. Never was my favorite Diana song but the lyrics in this context should have a stunning effect on the theatre audience. I also suspect "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" will have a huge emotional impact if the rest of the story leading up to it does it's job. I can just imagine Diana delivering the "If you need me, call me..." lines directly to Berry and that leading into a grand finale chorus with all the cast onstage for the climactic faux Motown 25 scene. Hello goosebumps!!

thisoldheart
03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
sounds like the mess i expected ... april seems seem awfully near to correct the entire premise of the play. good luck, rewriting team ...

by the way ... are h/d/h in the play?

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
So in the finale, they have "Diana", "Mary", and "Cindy" all singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?

milven
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
H-D-H are in the play as well as Norman Whitfield, Marvelettes, Martha & Vandellas, Teena Marie, Ed Sullivan, Contours, J-5, Jr. Walker, Rick James, David Ruffin, Mickey Stevenson and Mary Wells. They were all played by ensemble players who played multiple roles. For instance, the actress who played Mary Wells also played Mother Gordy and one of the Vandellas.

milven
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
So in the finale, they have "Diana", "Mary", and "Cindy" all singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?

No Supreme Reunion at all. Just the entire cast on stage, including Mary and Cindy with Diana singing Mountain and calling Berry on stage from the audience.

Roberta75
03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
No Supreme Reunion at all. Just the entire cast on stage, including Mary and Cindy with Diana singing Mountain and calling Berry on stage from the audience.

Who play the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves Milven and does Martha have a big part. I sure hope so.

Fondly,

Roberta

thisoldheart
03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
H-D-H are in the play as well as Norman Whitfield, Marvelettes, Martha & Vandellas, Teena Marie, Ed Sullivan, Contours, J-5, Jr. Walker, Rick James, David Ruffin, Mickey Stevenson and Mary Wells. They were all played by ensemble players who played multiple roles. For instance, the actress who played Mary Wells also played Mother Gordy and one of the Vandellas.
do h/d/h have m[[any) speaking parts, do they sing, like gordy does to ross? this whole thing sounds so bad. but, hey, if we get more record releases i will stop bitchin'!

milven
03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
do h/d/h have m[[any) speaking parts, do they sing, like gordy does to ross? this whole thing sounds so bad. but, hey, if we get more record releases i will stop bitchin'!

I can't remember if it was HDH or their lawyers speaking when they were suing Berry Gordy

thisoldheart
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
I can't remember if it was HDH or their lawyers speaking when they were suing Berry Gordy
HA! read the preview reviews at the broadway chat site. seems like bad news for motown lovers, but will make it big with the 90% of tourists who can't tell carla thomas from any of the hundreds of former supremes 'cept ross, or the diff between stax and motown.

but there is a reason i prefer r&b to broadway musicals!

milven
03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Who play the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves Milven and does Martha have a big part. I sure hope so.

Fondly,

Roberta

The play used ensemble players for Martha and the Vandellas. They played various roles. They sang but did not speak.

The main cast was Berry, Diana, Smokey and Marvin.

Ensemble players played the Four Tops, Lionel, Norman, Marvelletes Supremes,Jr Walker, Tempts,Contours, J-5, Commodores, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, HDH, Rick James, and Mickey Stevenson. I don't think any other Motown acts were featured. While the ensamble played various roles, the actresses that portrayed Mary and Flo only played Mary and Flo. The actress that played Cindy also played Gwen GOrdy, a Vandella, & Gladys Horton. Speaking of Gladys Horton reminds me that Gladys Knight and the Pips were not part of the show

Mary Wells was referred to as the Queen of Motown, although I always remember her being referred to as First Lady of Motown

thisoldheart
03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
how did they handle the switch from ballard to birdsong? from ross to jean? micky stevenson w/o weston? hmmm ....

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
HA! read the preview reviews at the broadway chat site. seems like bad news for motown lovers, but will make it big with the 90% of tourists who can't tell carla thomas from any of the hundreds of former supremes 'cept ross, or the diff between stax and motown.

but there is a reason i prefer r&b to broadway musicals!

I agree. That's the main reason I hate Glee. I don't like iconic pop songs turned into broadway schlockiness. It's like getting a commerical artist to come into a museum and paint Mona Lisa's.

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
how did they handle the switch from ballard to birdsong? from ross to jean? micky stevenson w/o weston? hmmm ....

I'll almost bet my bottom dollar that they didn't cast anyone to play Jean. It's probably just like Motown 25, pretending that Jean, Mary, and Cindy never existed [[After 10 million records)

milven
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Briefly. Flo was missing performances and was replaced. And here, I may be wrong because it happened so fast, but there was starting to be conflict in group because of Diana's prominence. Mary said something to Diana and Diana said "See what I have to put up with?" [[Again, I may be wrong about this) Anyhow, at that point, Berry convinced her that it was time for her to go solo. He named Diana's replacement, but we never saw the Seventies Supremes

Roberta75
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
The play used ensemble players for Martha and the Vandellas. They played various roles. They sang but did not speak.

Ensemble players played the Four Tops, Lionel, Norman, Marvelletes Supremes,Jr Walker, Tempts,Contours, J-5, Commodores, Mary Wells, Stevie Wonder, HDH, Rick James, and Mickey Stevenson. I don't think any other Motown acts were featured. While the ensamble played various roles, the actresses that portrayed Mary and Flo only played Mary and Flo. The actress that played Cindy also played Gwen GOrdy, a Vandella, & Gladys Horton. Speaking of Gladys Horton reminds me that Gladys Knight and the Pips were not part of the show

Mary Wells was referred to as the Queen of Motown, although I always remember her being referred to as First Lady of Motown

Oh thats dissapointing I thought Martha Reeves would have a prominent role. What about Barbara Martin and Flo Ballard? Are they mentioned?

I'm still looking forward to seeing this one day just the same.

Roberta

REDHOT
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Again,i can't wait to see Motown The Musical,
Please stay positive

Methuselah2
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Whenever I see the phrase "First Lady of Motown," I know exactly what's comin' next.

I just hope the creators of the show can pull together a last-minute brief scene to end the show--one that flashes-forward to present day and shows a group singing IN MY LONELY WAITING ROOM as they are then renamed DR. ALBERT ROSE SCHWEITZER & THE VENTRICULLAS, who then proceed with plans for building the VIRGINIA MAYO CLINIC.

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Let's all keep in mind that Diane has not uttered a PEEP about this, and well, that says it all. I mean, a 5 year relationship that never resulted in an engagement or marriage is portrayed as this sweeping, epic love story... and then Diana being portrayed as some little unpolished ghetto chick that Berry plucked from obscurity and molded into a superstar, just like God himself creating the heavens and the earth... and then when she gets the RCA deal, it's all like "I've made you into a beautiful star, you have outgrown me, now fly, my little bird, be free!" I'm sure Diana probably feels insulted as hell. Rhonda is "publically" supporting it, because it's her daddy... but in private, I can bet my bottom dollar the opinion ain't so rosy.

smark21
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Well except for premium tickets [[that are selling for $257 per ticket) it seems the previews for the show are doing well at the box office. Tonight I went to the TDF booth at Times Square in hopes of getting a discounted ticket tonight. No luck. So I went to the box office and asked if there were rush tix for tonight. Nope. Only tickets available for purchase for tonight’s show were the premium tickets and I wasn’t going to pay such a high amount for any show, let alone one in which the kinks are still being worked out and a show with a less than stellar script. I’m looking forward to revvy’s review of tonight’s performance. Maybe I might have better luck getting a last minute ticket for a Monday night show.

smark21
03-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Here's the latest update from NY Post theater columnist Michael Reidel

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/motown_needs_mo_second_act_pvNFIjrUozFLjR1f6yTP9I

alexgarret
03-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Well except for premium tickets [[that are selling for $257 per ticket) it seems the previews for the show are doing well at the box office. Tonight I went to the TDF booth at Times Square in hopes of getting a discounted ticket tonight. No luck. So I went to the box office and asked if there were rush tix for tonight. Nope. Only tickets available for purchase for tonight’s show were the premium tickets and I wasn’t going to pay such a high amount for any show, let alone one in which the kinks are still being worked out and a show with a less than stellar script. I’m looking forward to revvy’s review of tonight’s performance. Maybe I might have better luck getting a last minute ticket for a Monday night show.

Advance ticket sales seem to be really strong. This may be one of the shows that the critics hate, but the masses love - great for the economy and working actors and techs!

milven
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I used to use TKTS almost every week. But with the Internet, it is so much easier buying the tickets in advance and many of them can be bought at discount prices , including MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. Now instead of standing on TKTS line hoping to get seats for a specific show, I buy them in advance and either print out my tickets or pick them up at the box office. Much less stressful.

As for those premium seats, if they are not sold , they are released just before the curtain to the box office and to TKTS and sold at regular prices.

You can get discount tickets through Playbill, Theatermania and probably Broadway.Com

alexgarret
03-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Let's all keep in mind that Diane has not uttered a PEEP about this, and well, that says it all. I mean, a 5 year relationship that never resulted in an engagement or marriage is portrayed as this sweeping, epic love story... and then Diana being portrayed as some little unpolished ghetto chick that Berry plucked from obscurity and molded into a superstar, just like God himself creating the heavens and the earth... and then when she gets the RCA deal, it's all like "I've made you into a beautiful star, you have outgrown me, now fly, my little bird, be free!" I'm sure Diana probably feels insulted as hell. Rhonda is "publically" supporting it, because it's her daddy... but in private, I can bet my bottom dollar the opinion ain't so rosy.

I think she is keeping a low profile because it would overshadow the show. She certainly won't attend the Motown Alumni performance because it would take away the focus from the others. Nothing sinister here...

REDHOT
03-14-2013, 12:24 AM
I could be wrong,but i think Diana will show up for this,it's Berry last,and i'm sure she will support him,after all,if it was not for Berry Gordy,there'd be no Suprems,and that means Diana Mary Florence or Cindy,or any of the other Supremes Jean Terrell,Lynda Laurence,Scherrei Payne or Susaye Greene,Thanks to Mr.Gordy
Please stay positive

David J
03-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Meet MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL's Diana Ross, Valisia LeKae.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXEW3rThuA [[http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3D0wXEW3rThuA&ct=ga&cad=CAcQAhgAIAEoBDAAOABAk9KFigVIAVgAYgJlbg&cd=xETmv4I_MUc&usg=AFQjCNGziLjYeBIYKcBdJ3sg5Ifkf7wHsA)

Nice footage of the musical in general:D

revvy
03-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey everyone!

I saw the show last night and I thought it was GREAT! I was very pleased with the production and the cast was phenomenal. Most of what has been reported here is accurate. The show is indeed 3 hours long [[but that didn't bother me in the least!). The time just raced by...and so did the show. I sat first row center balcony so my view was the best in the house. I loved the giant Motown "M" on the main curtain as the audience took their places.

I will say most elements of the production are a cross between "Jersey Boys" and "Baby It's You". The War [[What Is It Good For?) segment was very reminiscent of "Hair". Brandon Victor Dixon [[Berry) is a fine actor and had some great singing moments. Valisia LeKae [[Diana) was fantastic and certainly got the early Diana "sound" down very well. Charl Brown [[Smokey) was outstanding. If I closed my eyes, I would have sworn it was Smokey singing. Once again, however, it was little Michael Jackson who was the crowd pleaser. Tonight the actor was Raymond Luke, Jr. and he was sensational. He also played Little Stevie Wonder. He isn't the understudy. There are 2 actors who "share" the role, much like in "Billy Elliot". The actors playing Marvin Gaye and older Stevie Wonder were very good as well. The Tempts had a great blend and the Four Tops and Mary Wells were also well-represented.

Because this was only the 3rd night of previews, there are some elements to revise and even cut as would be expected. As stated by another poster, the Doris Day and Tony Bennett elements need to be eliminated. The reference to HDH needs to be better explained. The actors never stated that HDH stands for Holland Dozier Holland and that they were the writers of all the great Motown hits. The "Tears of a Clown" segment needs to go unfortunately. Charl sings the song spot-on, but the choreography of the dancers and the "puppet without a string with the stupid doll smile" was unnecessary. I would guess the choreographer was given creative freedom with this number, but it just didn't work. The Diana solo segment was very good. I thought her enticing of the audience to "Reach Out and Touch", join hands and sway to the music was a nice touch, however plucking a woman from the audience to sing with her was embarrassingly awkward. Had it been a plant, it would have gone over much better, but taking a TERRIFIED patron who doesn't even know the words to the song [[as in the case last night) was uncomfortable.

The costumes and choreography strangely enough were not exact replicas of the originals. They were very close, however. I wonder if there is a legal reason for that. A true Motown fan would notice the closeness in representation to the Supremes halter tops of the Diana, Mary, Cindy period. The Jackson 5 costumes were practically identical. I had to say I was a bit disappointed that the Tempts "My Girl" and Contours "Do You Love Me?" choreography wasn't exactly like the original. I'm sure there were copyright issues involved.

The beauty of the show is how the music was so reflective of what was going on in society at the time. It was great to reminisce of what life used to be...the good, bad and the ugly. It was a bit disappointing to see teenagers and young adults in the audience wearing sweats and sloppy clothes. Most adults were smartly dressed and respectful.

I could go on and on with more detail, but you all get the drift. I gave the show 8 out of 10. My date gave it 7 out of 10. It was a great night of entertainment and I'm sure it will be even more polished in a few months time. The show is definitely a hit and will run for a good amount of time if tweaked properly.

As a Detroiter, I was proud to be there and to represent the talent that came out of her. Long may she wave. Enjoy the show!

milven
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your review of the show with us. And I am thrilled that it is a positive review. These boards have been filled with a lot of negative posts for months. I am glad that the two posters who actually saw it, were positive about the show.

Thanks for pointing out that three actors are sharing the Michael/Little Stevie/Little Berry role. My Playbill had an insert in it saying that Raymond Luke would be playing the roles and I assumed that he was an understudy. But after re-reading Who's Who in the Cast, I see that he is a regular. And he is a little showstopper.

motony
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
thanks for the reviews,which were sincere. Sounds like it will be a hit and that is GREAT for all things Motown.I figured it would be First Class if Mr. Gordy had anything to do with it.Maybe I will make it to New York this summer.

supremester
03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't think there was pretense that JMC never existed. What in Motown 25 would you cut to add the JMC segment? There is only so much time. Martha & Mary Wells both outsold JMC and barely got mentioned. The Marvelettes outsold JMC and weren't included at all. They had to draw the line somewhere.

I'll almost bet my bottom dollar that they didn't cast anyone to play Jean. It's probably just like Motown 25, pretending that Jean, Mary, and Cindy never existed [[After 10 million records)

marv2
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't think there was pretense that JMC never existed. What in Motown 25 would you cut to add the JMC segment? There is only so much time. Martha & Mary Wells both outsold JMC and barely got mentioned. The Marvelettes outsold JMC and weren't included at all. They had to draw the line somewhere.

They should have at least mentioned Jean Terrell. They didn't even mention Florence Ballard by name and she help sell more records when she was in the Supremes than most of those others. They didn't even show a picture of Rare Earth@!!!!

no_place_like_motown
03-16-2013, 07:48 AM

>With Marvin being one of the main characters, I'm a bit surprised that Tammi Terrell's is not one of the esemble players. If I'm not mistaken I thought I saw a clip of Berry & Diana's character singing ANMHE, or another one of M&T's songs, in connection w/ Berry & Diana's romance. I'd love instead to see Tammi represented singing ANMHE [[or any one of their popular duets) w/ Marvin's character.

No Gladys Knight & The PIps? Ouch! LOL I wanna see someone sing their version of IHITTG or If I Were Your Woman or Neither One Of Us -- anything they sang. I don't recall seeing Edwin Starr, David Ruffin or Jimmy Ruffin mentioned either. That being said, I'm hoping that since they are still in the preview stages that more legendary Motown artists will be casted.

Kamasu_Jr
03-16-2013, 08:15 AM
They are opening the show so it can be a contender for awards. No time for a lot of major changes like adding more characters. So some think it has no book, but a good cast and music. Black and Blue won a best musical Tony and it didn't have a book/story, but a talented cast that made it work. Sounds like Motown has similar prospects.

milven
03-16-2013, 08:41 AM
>With Marvin being one of the main characters, I'm a bit surprised that Tammi Terrell's is not one of the ensemble players. If I'm not mistaken I thought I saw a clip of Berry & Diana's character singing ANMHE, or another one of M&T's songs, in connection w/ Berry & Diana's romance.
The clip you saw was Berry and Diana singing YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY. It was used to move the book forward about their romance. No Marvin duets with Kim or Mary or Tammi were mentioned in the book. There was a short version of STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW with The Supremes behind him singing backup.

>No Gladys Knight & The PIps? Ouch! LOL I wanna see someone sing their version of IHITTG or If I Were Your Woman or Neither One Of Us -- anything they sang. I don't recall seeing Edwin Starr, David Ruffin or Jimmy Ruffin mentioned either. That being said, I'm hoping that since they are still in the preview stages that more legendary Motown artists will be casted.
I was kinda sad not to see GK&P represented too. But I'll be seeing the real thing next month. No Jimmy Ruffin, but David was represented. His ensemble player also played Lamont Dozier and a Jackson 5 [[I was sitting up front. Those J-5 teenagers looked kinda old :) :rolleyes:)

milven
03-16-2013, 08:49 AM
They are opening the show so it can be a contender for awards. No time for a lot of major changes like adding more characters. So some think it has no book, but a good cast and music. Black and Blue won a best musical Tony and it didn't have a book/story, but a talented cast that made it work. Sounds like Motown has similar prospects.
It has a book. I think the book should be tweaked and get rid of some unnecessary parts like the Doris Day and Tony Bennett parts of the book. They are just there to feed Berry's ego and are not needed to move the story of Motown forward. The have to take about twenty minutes out of the show. Taking Doris Day and Tony Bennett out is a beginning.

Penny
03-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Thank you for the information. You are the best and I have always thought so. Thank you again.

Penny:o

mowsville
03-16-2013, 11:22 AM
its a story...not a documentary...why is everybody moaning that he or she wasn't mentioned..we are on this board because of our love of a certain genre of music MOTOWN...why cant we just let the man who created our music have his last crowning moment and celebrate it with him.

no_place_like_motown
03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
The clip you saw was Berry and Diana singing YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY. It was used to move the book forward about their romance. No Marvin duets with Kim or Mary or Tammi were mentioned in the book. There was a short version of STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW with The Supremes behind him singing backup.

I was kinda sad not to see GK&P represented too. But I'll be seeing the real thing next month. No Jimmy Ruffin, but David was represented. His ensemble player also played Lamont Dozier and a Jackson 5 [[I was sitting up front. Those J-5 teenagers looked kinda old :) :rolleyes:)

Thanks for your reply, Milven. I also have tickets for next month and I intend to have a blast!

Kamasu_Jr
03-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Tony nominations always help ticket sales. It appears that Motown, the musical might snag a few. It also depends on the competition. Maybe Milven or some of our New YOrk members can size up the competition. What else is on Broadway? Thank you Penny.

smark21
03-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Tony nominations always help ticket sales. It appears that Motown, the musical might snag a few. It also depends on the competition. Maybe Milven or some of our New YOrk members can size up the competition. What else is on Broadway? Thank you Penny.

I’m not a big musical theater buff, but the musical that’s getting a lot of buzz this spring on Broadway is “Matilda”, a West End import currently in previews and which won a lot of awards and acclaim in London last season.

milven
03-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Some of the competition will be HANDS ON A HARD BODY, which opens next week, CINDERELLA, which got some good reviews, KINKY BOOTS, with music by Cindi Lauper. It opens next month and MATILDA.

Another Motown Musical coming to Broadway is a revival of PIPPIN, but it will only be eligible for Best Revival, not Best Musical.

milven
03-16-2013, 02:06 PM
its a story...not a documentary...why is everybody moaning that he or she wasn't mentioned..we are on this board because of our love of a certain genre of music MOTOWN...why cant we just let the man who created our music have his last crowning moment and celebrate it with him.

I said the same thing in another thread. I'd love to see a documentary about Motown on PBS, but this is a musical. Motown was blessed with a lot of talented acts. They can't all be featured in a musical and still have room for the book and music. As it is the show is ending after 11 p.m.

jillfoster
03-16-2013, 09:34 PM

In the video montage. You had the Supremes performance clips, ending with the Sullivan in the gold dresses. THEN you had a still photo montage, all of Diana in solo shots. ONE of those still pictures could have been of Jean, Mary, and Cindy. I didn't ask for a SEGMENT, I ask for the woman's face to be flashed on the screen for TWO SECONDS.

jillfoster
03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey everyone!

I saw the show last night and I thought it was GREAT! I was very pleased with the production and the cast was phenomenal. Most of what has been reported here is accurate. The show is indeed 3 hours long [[but that didn't bother me in the least!). The time just raced by...and so did the show. I sat first row center balcony so my view was the best in the house. I loved the giant Motown "M" on the main curtain as the audience took their places.

I will say most elements of the production are a cross between "Jersey Boys" and "Baby It's You". The War [[What Is It Good For?) segment was very reminiscent of "Hair". Brandon Victor Dixon [[Berry) is a fine actor and had some great singing moments. Valisia LeKae [[Diana) was fantastic and certainly got the early Diana "sound" down very well. Charl Brown [[Smokey) was outstanding. If I closed my eyes, I would have sworn it was Smokey singing. Once again, however, it was little Michael Jackson who was the crowd pleaser. Tonight the actor was Raymond Luke, Jr. and he was sensational. He also played Little Stevie Wonder. He isn't the understudy. There are 2 actors who "share" the role, much like in "Billy Elliot". The actors playing Marvin Gaye and older Stevie Wonder were very good as well. The Tempts had a great blend and the Four Tops and Mary Wells were also well-represented.

Because this was only the 3rd night of previews, there are some elements to revise and even cut as would be expected. As stated by another poster, the Doris Day and Tony Bennett elements need to be eliminated. The reference to HDH needs to be better explained. The actors never stated that HDH stands for Holland Dozier Holland and that they were the writers of all the great Motown hits. The "Tears of a Clown" segment needs to go unfortunately. Charl sings the song spot-on, but the choreography of the dancers and the "puppet without a string with the stupid doll smile" was unnecessary. I would guess the choreographer was given creative freedom with this number, but it just didn't work. The Diana solo segment was very good. I thought her enticing of the audience to "Reach Out and Touch", join hands and sway to the music was a nice touch, however plucking a woman from the audience to sing with her was embarrassingly awkward. Had it been a plant, it would have gone over much better, but taking a TERRIFIED patron who doesn't even know the words to the song [[as in the case last night) was uncomfortable.

The costumes and choreography strangely enough were not exact replicas of the originals. They were very close, however. I wonder if there is a legal reason for that. A true Motown fan would notice the closeness in representation to the Supremes halter tops of the Diana, Mary, Cindy period. The Jackson 5 costumes were practically identical. I had to say I was a bit disappointed that the Tempts "My Girl" and Contours "Do You Love Me?" choreography wasn't exactly like the original. I'm sure there were copyright issues involved.

The beauty of the show is how the music was so reflective of what was going on in society at the time. It was great to reminisce of what life used to be...the good, bad and the ugly. It was a bit disappointing to see teenagers and young adults in the audience wearing sweats and sloppy clothes. Most adults were smartly dressed and respectful.

I could go on and on with more detail, but you all get the drift. I gave the show 8 out of 10. My date gave it 7 out of 10. It was a great night of entertainment and I'm sure it will be even more polished in a few months time. The show is definitely a hit and will run for a good amount of time if tweaked properly.

As a Detroiter, I was proud to be there and to represent the talent that came out of her. Long may she wave. Enjoy the show!

No, Revvy... there must have been other reasons for the changes in costuming and choreogaphy... you cannot copyright a dance move or a dress design.

marv2
03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
In the video montage. You had the Supremes performance clips, ending with the Sullivan in the gold dresses. THEN you had a still photo montage, all of Diana in solo shots. ONE of those still pictures could have been of Jean, Mary, and Cindy. I didn't ask for a SEGMENT, I ask for the woman's face to be flashed on the screen for TWO SECONDS.

The producers and certain people want to pretend that Jean Terrell never made an impact when she was probably the greatest female vocalist technically Motown ever had.

jillfoster
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I think she is keeping a low profile because it would overshadow the show. She certainly won't attend the Motown Alumni performance because it would take away the focus from the others. Nothing sinister here...

Nope. Nope, and NOPE. In a play about her where she is portrayed as being "Molded" by a man, and basically bringing nothing to the table of star caliber, you think she wouldn't be insulted by that? She's not one to bump her gums when she's pissed, she clams up. And well... that's what happening. I don't blame her, I really don't. Would you be all excited if you were Diana, and had a broadway show about your life, portraying you as a ghetto version of "My Fair Lady"? Like you had no class or no real superstar talent until you met Berry Gordy? And he taught you everything you know, and made you into who you are? I wouldn't be pleased, either.

alexgarret
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Guess I don't know the inner workings of Diana's mind like you do. "Ghetto Version?" Hmm

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Guess I don't know the inner workings of Diana's mind like you do. "Ghetto Version?" Hmm

You don't have to know the inner workings of her mind. Any strong, independent woman such as her would be insulted by that portrayal [[I doubt we'll see Gloria Steinem in the audience for this anytime soon). I don't know why her fans are just happy about this. Why? Because on the surface, she's the star of the show and she's not shown as a mean bitch? Is that all it takes to please? Really? If she were all happy about this play, she would have said SOMETHING by now. And in response to another earlier post, I'm not surprised one BIT that Gladys Knight and the Pips are the only major group not in this... Gordy's ego wouldn't let him feature a group who promptly had the biggest hit of their career after leaving him. Michael was different, because he could take credit for "Discovering" him.

jsmith
03-17-2013, 04:38 AM
RE: she is portrayed as being "Molded" by a man, and basically bringing nothing to the table of star caliber ............
...to me it seems that the show is sticking quite close to the truth then.

LuvHangOva
03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
The most impressive thing to me about Diana Ross is her willpower. Ever since I became aware of her when I was a pre teen in 1964 I can remember people taking cheap shots at her... Always some bull about her eyes, her weight, her voice, her attitude. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ad fukin nauseum!!! From my perspective this has been constant. That's almost 50 years that i personally have bee hearing and reading rude comments about her. Almost half a farkin' century!!! But she has never stopped being who she is. That's impressive and inspirational to me.

The countless TV appearances, Oscar nomination, Tony Award, Grammy, Kennedy Center Honor, sold out concerts are not nearly as impressive to me as the fact that she has managed to get over the incredibly huge *mountain* of insults and negativity that I have witnessed and she has always managed to continue to be Diana Ross. Methinks she deserves some kind of award for surviving it. "Ain't No *Mountain* High Enough" indeed!!

My gut tells me that's the fighting "spirit" that Berry Gordy saw in her in the beginning. It takes an extremely strong person to withstand that type of constant bashing. If I have to crawl to Broadway i'm planning to help celebrate her and the rest of my Motown heroes with him. I thank them all for the music, the magic and most important to me, the inspiration.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Nope. Nope, and NOPE. In a play about her where she is portrayed as being "Molded" by a man, and basically bringing nothing to the table of star caliber, you think she wouldn't be insulted by that? She's not one to bump her gums when she's pissed, she clams up. And well... that's what happening. I don't blame her, I really don't. Would you be all excited if you were Diana, and had a broadway show about your life, portraying you as a ghetto version of "My Fair Lady"? Like you had no class or no real superstar talent until you met Berry Gordy? And he taught you everything you know, and made you into who you are? I wouldn't be pleased, either.

Have you seen the show? From all people who have actually seen this show, I have yet to see them describe it in this way. What I think is going on is that non fans of Diana are so pressed that she is a main character in this musical that they are trying to put out there a false description of the play and her character. Again, no one that has seen this show has described it this way.

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Have you seen the show? From all people who have actually seen this show, I have yet to see them describe it in this way. What I think is going on is that non fans of Diana are so pressed that she is a main character in this musical that they are trying to put out there a false description of the play and her character. Again, no one that has seen this show has described it this way.

Of course, Diana's fans are seeing it that way, because they don't WANT to see the reality in front of them. They just see the dazzling costumes and the pretty music and don't delve any deeper than that, as to what the dialogue is really saying about her. So what's going on is exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
When did you see it?

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
When did you see it?

I've seen a video a friend took from the audience. Even RHONDA HERSELF has said and I quote: "What I believe they are going for, is a different essence of what my mother was and is"..... she's candy coating it, but she is saying the same thing I am saying, you just don't want to accept it.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
There is nothing for me to accept. You are making things up. You claim to know what everyone one thinks. This thread is for reviews and people who have actually seen it. Now miraculously you claim you have seen a video tape of it.

marv2
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: she is portrayed as being "Molded" by a man, and basically bringing nothing to the table of star caliber ............
...to me it seems that the show is sticking quite close to the truth then.

It is true. Berry Gordy made "Diana Ross" whether she or her fans like it or not!

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Well then by that logic he also made Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, etc.

marv2
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Diane says so herself.......HERE!

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20072719,00.html

January 15, 1979
Vol. 11
No. 2

Showbiz Wiz

By Kristin McMurran

Diana Ross, Star of the All-Black Remake of The Wizard of Oz, Frets over What Lies on the Other Side of the Rainbow

From PEOPLE MagazineClick to enlarge

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
—Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz

She is Glitter Chic incarnate, a flash of furs and facets and long cars. She sings, dances and, at $1 million a movie, is one of the three priciest actresses in the world [[the others: Streisand and Dunaway). President Carter asked her to entertain at his last birthday party, and publishing executive Jackie Onassis is pressing her to do an autobiography. But no Kansas-bred Dorothy, spun off to Oz by a whirlwind, could be as disoriented as Diana Ross today. It's not the money or the fame that makes the lady suddenly sing the blues. She's been used to all that since the '60s, when her Supremes outsold every other group except the Beatles. The problem, she confesses ruefully at 34, is "growing up. I had a very difficult year. I had another child, I just got divorced, I moved to Manhattan. It's the first time I've really been on my own," says Diana, "and it's not easy."

Splitting from her husband of six years, Robert Silberstein, in 1977 was rough enough, but she also loosened a more ancient tie, the Gordy-an knot. Motown founder Berry Gordy, 49, took a street-corner songstress of 16 and, Svengali-like, fashioned her into the lady whom Diana's close pal Cher calls "one of the great performers of our time." "He did it all for me," Diana says of Gordy. "He was father, mother, brother, sister, lover." And she leaned heavily on the Motown machinery that has made her one of the most carefully protected celebrities anywhere. She followed the company from Detroit to L.A., let it make her decisions and was once Gordy's lady. Even during her marriage she reportedly took him on family skiing vacations.

"My wife belongs to that company," a bitter Silberstein said before their divorce. "She's totally dominated by a man who never read a book in his life. I just can't stand it anymore to hear them calling Stevie Wonder a genius. What happened to Freud?"

"I wanted it that way," says Ross. "It was safe." But after 18 years of non-self-actualization, est disciple Diana has put a coast between herself and Gordy, though Motown still produces her records and movies. "I've wanted this freedom of space for so long," she states. "I feel like Dorothy. Suddenly, BOOM, I'm in a whole new world."

It started with a phone call to Gordy at 4:30 a.m. She'd just heard that Motown was producing the film version of The Wiz, a "magical, strange and wonderful" musical she'd admired on the stage, and she wanted to be Dorothy. "Berry grunted and said, 'Have you been drinking?' " Diana recalls. And although he said she was too old for the role [[many critics have since agreed), she was firm. "It's ageless," Ross insists. "I thought it was right for my career." With the passage of two weeks and one director, she had won and was preparing to head for the New York location [[the Oz of the all-black adaptation).

She bought a copy of The Annotated Oz and began to underline it in Day-Glo pink. Then she put her 12-room Beverly Hills fortress on the market and moved her yellow Rolls and three daughters [[Rhonda, 7, Tracee, 6, and Chudney, 3) to a co-op in Manhattan's Sherry Netherland. "I sat in my empty apartment and looked out at the cars and people," she remembers. "If I'd had time to think about it, it would have been very scary. Luckily, I was busy working."

This was only her third movie, after having earned an Oscar nomination as Billie Holiday in 1972's Lady Sings the Blues and done the rag-trade saga Mahogany in 1975. By reputation, Diana is a relentless worker. In The Wiz she did all her own stunt work, suffering broken fingernails, a leg injury [[when clipped by the motorcycle of an Ozian monkey) and retina burns from gazing into the Wiz's spotlight eyes. "I'm in a daze when I perform," she shrugs. "I almost need somebody to hold me until I get back to my dressing room and reality."

Her supporters on the set included Michael Jackson, 20, a protégé of Diana's ever since his family Five began. "She's so beautiful, inside and out," he gushes, "and she can talk about anything: jewelry, hairstyles, est." Then there was a new admirer, Wiz director Sidney Lumet, who declares that "watching Diana is like watching this supernova exploding—she's stunning." But, admirers aside, there's no romance in her life. Diana hasn't had a strong, steady pair of arms since the divorce. "I had a lovely marriage," she says. "When you find someone that you can enjoy a lot of the same pleasures with—even if it's sitting in front of the television late at night with a big sandwich—it's terrific. Those pleasures I miss."

Her answer to the old Supremes' refrain Where Did Our Love Go?, she says, is that "everything seemed to be out of whack." But her friends theorize, and Diana concedes, that it was difficult for Silberstein to be Mr. Ross. "She is almost barricaded by her stardom," says Wiz writer Joel Schumacher. "A man has to make more money or be a wife." [[Silberstein, who's managed Chaka Khan and Ron Wood, has lately also moved to New York and visits the children often.)

Diana now escapes with intimate dinners with director Lumet or boogying with proprietor Steve Rubell at Studio 54 [["lf I'm feeling really wild, I go there and dance till I am exhausted"). Once she attended a porn flick with fashionable haberdasher pal Danny Zarem. [[That was only after disguising herself in an eight-foot muffler which made her look like "a mummy in sunglasses," according to Zarem.) But those are escorts, not lovers. And her most frequent date these days is her current Motown manager, Shelly Berger. He helps her rehearse and plays blocks with the kids, but has a steady girlfriend himself. "Shelly and I are very comfortable together," she explains. "I might forget he's there and start to undress and—'Ah, excuse me!' " she giggles.

She still dreams of getting married again—to someone "understanding of my work, but maybe not involved in showbiz"—but "my priority," she says, is the children. She gets up with them at 7 for the The Flintstones and breakfast before they go off to the same private school as the scions from the Houses of Redford, Sedaka and the like. Mom tries to be home when they return at 3. "I like to have dinner with them and then we relax and play together until bath time at 7:30. They love it when I'm alone and there's no housekeeper," she laughs. "We get junky and have popcorn and sit on the floor. I yell a lot, but I'm not strict. If I can give them quality attention when I'm with them, then when I'm not it seems to be okay."

The girls, who have not yet seen The Wiz [[they recently caught Lady Sings the Blues and pronounced it too sad), share one of the three bedrooms. The other is a playroom. "We bump into each other all the time," Diana moans. "We're living out of a suitcase. If I can make it to tomorrow, it will be better."

Though unsure about where she wants to settle ultimately, Diana spends weekends scouting for a home in Connecticut. "I can live anywhere my work is," she says. "But I keep imagining this piece of land and a nice warm house so I can invite my family for Christmas and have a big tree. My kids have never lived out in the country where they can have horses." They spent the past Christmas in Detroit with their grandmother Ernestine, once a domestic, who takes care of the children when Diana is on the concert circuit or playing Vegas.

Ross won't have a lot of time to look for her house—or, as she adds, "to feel sorry for myself." She goes back into the studio to record her 16th solo album in February. After that she's planning a 20-city tour. Since The Wiz she's being courted to play the queen of the numbers racket in Tough Customers and the role of a star who falls in love with her bodyguard—à la Susan Ford and Patty Hearst—opposite Ryan O'Neal. "Everybody has some pain," she says. "And if I have a lot of pain you know what I'm going to do with it? Use it in a movie when I have to show pain."

As for the book Jackie O wants her to write, Diana would be more interested in doing a fashion or beauty work or a coffee-table collection of photographs and favorite passages she keeps in a notebook [[her latest: Rudyard Kipling's If). "I don't really want to do a biography now unless they want a trilogy," Diana laughs. "I feel that I'm just beginning—I've been around a long time, but I think of myself as a baby in this business.

"It's really quite nice to take the responsibility for my life," she continues, on what she hopes is Volume II. "If I make a mistake I don't have to get mad at anybody." But as she eases on down that road she remembers the wisdom of Oz: "I just want to have the brains to decide what is best for me, the courage to follow through with that decision, and I want to have the heart so I can understand and love all of it—whatever happens." Then Diana Ross adds: "Home is like Glinda the Good Witch said at the end of the film—it's knowing yourself."

milven
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I wanted to take a picture of something I saw on stage, but unlike concerts, Broadway Theatre is very strict about cameras and video. I wonder how someone was able to record the entire show.

The play doesn't show Diana as Berry's puppet. In fact, she was pushy in getting what she wanted for her group and herself.

Marv's article from PEOPLE posted above shows that she was demanding in real life too.

It started with a phone call to Gordy at 4:30 a.m. She'd just heard that Motown was producing the film version of The Wiz, a "magical, strange and wonderful" musical she'd admired on the stage, and she wanted to be Dorothy. "Berry grunted and said, 'Have you been drinking?' " Diana recalls. And although he said she was too old for the role [[many critics have since agreed), she was firm. "It's ageless," Ross insists. "I thought it was right for my career." With the passage of two weeks and one director, she had won and was preparing to head for the New York location [[the Oz of the all-black adaptation).

Too bad she won that argument. In my opinion, Berry was right.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Why post that long article about the Wiz when this is suppose to be the "Official Motown Musical" thread?

motony
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Berry Gordy or no one else "made" any of those Motown acts of the 60's.If they didn't have talent & drive they would have never made it through the front door of 2648 W Grand Blvd.Mr. Gordy gave them the opportunity to fine tune their craft with great writers, producers, muscians ect. Mrs. Powell didn't come on board until late '64.Motown did the fine tuning but the artists had the natural talent & charisma.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks Milven. I trust what you say about the musical because you have actually seen it. Unlike those that haven't seen it but are projecting their own feelings about Ross and trying to convince others that is how the character is perceived.

marv2
03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I wanted to take a picture of something I saw on stage, but unlike concerts, Broadway Theatre is very strict about cameras and video. I wonder how someone was able to record the entire show.

The play doesn't show Diana as Berry's puppet. In fact, she was pushy in getting what she wanted for her group and herself.

Marv's article from PEOPLE posted above shows that she was demanding in real life too.

Too bad she won that argument. In my opinion, Berry was right.

Berry grunted and asked her if she'd been drinking........how telling!

marv2
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Berry Gordy or no one else "made" any of those Motown acts of the 60's.If they didn't have talent & drive they would have never made it through the front door of 2648 W Grand Blvd.Mr. Gordy gave them the opportunity to fine tune their craft with great writers, producers, muscians ect. Mrs. Powell didn't come on board until late '64.Motown did the fine tuning but the artists had the natural talent & charisma.

"Motown founder Berry Gordy, 49, took a street-corner songstress of 16 and, Svengali-like, fashioned her into the lady ...."

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks Milven. I trust what you say about the musical because you have actually seen it. Unlike those that haven't seen it but are projecting their own feelings about Ross and trying to convince others that is how the character is perceived.

I never said she wasn't pushy about getting what she wanted. Yes, she was THAT.. and the play DOES show it, but it also shows that Gordy was the only one that could give it to her... that she wasn't good enough to pull it off without him. So, what's the deal... you don't believe Diana's own DAUGHTER when she says the essence of the person in the play is different from what her mother is?

marv2
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I never said she wasn't pushy about getting what she wanted. Yes, she was THAT.. and the play DOES show it, but it also shows that Gordy was the only one that could give it to her... that she wasn't good enough to pull it off without him. So, what's the deal... you don't believe Diana's own DAUGHTER when she says the essence of the person in the play is different from what her mother is?

You see how many hits she's had since she left Berry! LOL!!!

milven
03-17-2013, 02:07 PM

She's had hits. Did she have as many as at Motown? No. But she remained successful after leaving Motown as did Gladys Knight, the Spinners and the 4 Tops.

Some artists did not have many, or any, hits after the left Motown, such as Tempts, Smokey, Mary Wells, Eddie Kendricks, and former members of The Supremes.

But this has nothing to do with MOTOWN THE MUSICAL. Does anyone plan to see it?

jobeterob
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Wow.

On holidays in a hot place and I see we still have the regulars hoping the Musical flops.

You guys have been fans too long and you take this all way too seriously.

Be glad this is going to put a few bucks in a few pockets of the people that need it. And maybe if it is huge, Berry will drop a few dollars into Mirage's long lamented museum. Mary Wilson might be a few more bookings and avoid some of the seniors places. And Diane can spread more move from on high, with Berry at her side.

marv2
03-17-2013, 03:12 PM
"He did it all for me," Diana says of Gordy. "He was father, mother, brother, sister, lover." And she leaned heavily on the Motown machinery that has made her one of the most carefully protected celebrities anywhere. She followed the company from Detroit to L.A., let it make her decisions and was once Gordy's lady. Even during her marriage she reportedly took him on family skiing vacations.
ahem..........hehehehehehehe!

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I've seen a video a friend took from the audience.

That's a real tall tale jillfoster and on the sabbath as well. You ought to be ashamed for making up stories young man. Everybody know you cant record a show in a Broadway theater because the ushers watch for that all through the show and your friend would be ejected from the theater in 5 seconds flat.

You did make me chuckle though expecting us to believe that you saw a video. LOL

Thanks for the laughs.

Roberta

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Now miraculously you claim you have seen a video tape of it.

LOL skooldem1. He quite the comedian. LOL

Roberta

marv2
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
That's a real tall tale jillfoster and on the sabbath as well. You ought to be ashamed for making up stories young man. Everybody know you cant record a show in a Broadway theater because the ushers watch for that all through the show and your friend would be ejected from the theater in 5 seconds flat.

You did make me chuckle though expecting us to believe that you saw a video. LOL

Thanks for the laughs.

Roberta

You must be kidding! People sell videotapes of Broadway performances and concerts on the streets of New York City! This is nothing new, they have been doing it for years. So what are you talking about?

carole cucumber
03-17-2013, 04:55 PM
It is true. Berry Gordy made "Diana Ross" whether she or her fans like it or not! ..........
Diane says so herself.......HERE!
"Motown founder Berry Gordy, 49, took a street-corner songstress of 16 and, Svengali-like, fashioned her into the lady ...."

Diana Ross didn't say that. Kristin McMurrin,the author of the article said that.

carole cucumber
03-17-2013, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;154215]"He did it all for me," Diana says of Gordy. "He was father, mother, brother, sister, lover."

Notice Diana's use of 'for me' not 'to me'. She indicates that she played a co-operative part in the process. She could have rejected Bery's plan. Her free will was not taken away from her. In no way was she a puppet. She came to see that the special relationship that she had with Berry Gordy was beneficial not only to each other but to all those others who were part of the Motown family of artists.Many were able to pass through the doors that Berry was able to open for his family of performers, through much hard work and dedication , and especially the trails blazed by the Supremes.
So many of those who were there in the early days speak in family terms, making mention that they too looked upon Berry like unto an adult relative who, despite the differences they may have encountered along the way, helped to guide them in their formative years or to help the already seasoned performers to expand their careers.

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the laughs.

Roberta

Your'e assuming that my friend is a paying audience member. He is an employee. Don't assume, because you know what that means. So take your little bag of bitchcraft, and have a seat.

skooldem1
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
I've seen a video a friend took from the audience. Even RHONDA HERSELF has said and I quote: "What I believe they are going for, is a different essence of what my mother was and is"..... she's candy coating it, but she is saying the same thing I am saying, you just don't want to accept it.

So now you have gone from "I've seen a video a friend took from the audience" to it now being an employee.

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Your'e assuming that my friend is a paying audience member. He is an employee. Don't assume, because you know what that means. So take your little bag of bitchcraft, and have a seat.

LOL. I aint buying it mister. It just dont ring true. LOL

Roberta

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
So now you have gone from "I've seen a video a friend took from the audience" to it now being an employee.

Its real amusing just the same skooldem1. LOL

Take heed of these words from the good book of Proverbs jillfoster

"Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight."

Roberta

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 07:17 PM

"From the audience" and opposed to "From the backstage area". If you must know the details he set up his camera in a stationary, out of the way location in the AUDIENCE AREA OF THE THEATER. Geez.

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Its real amusing just the same skooldem1. LOL

Take heed of these words from the good book of Proverbs jillfoster

"Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight."

Roberta

You can plant YOUR lips right on my ass.

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
"From the audience" and opposed to "From the backstage area". If you must know the details he set up his camera in a stationary, out of the way location in the AUDIENCE AREA OF THE THEATER. Geez.

Please stop it jillfoster. You are just digging youself in deeper and deeper honey. Next youll be telling us that the "friend" who shot the video was the personal assistant to Diane Ross or Mr Gordy. LOL

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Please stop it jillfoster. You are just digging youself in deeper and deeper honey. Next youll be telling us that the "friend" who shot the video was the personal assistant to Diane Ross or Mr Gordy. LOL

Of course not. He's just a lowly grip.

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Right - because none of the theater staff would notice a camera set up - next?

supremester
03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Quite a few - including Endless love - her biggest record ever - recorded AFTER she signed with RCA..... Berry had nothing to do with it and it was originally set to go out on RCA, but Diana pulled strings to give it to Berry and it was Ok'd.
Additionally, she had 6 other top 20 pop singles, chart topping
R&B, AC, Dance hits, gold and platinum albums not to mention major single and album hits internationally - a bigger market than the US. Certainly, her US success was greater at Motown, but VERY VERY few acts ever chart as high in their 3rd decade as they do in their first two.
Interesting also is the fact that Berry Gordy was against The Boss and diana, but she did them anyway - to huge success.

Michael is the ONLY Motown act from the 60's to do better in the 80s.

LOL

Just sayin.................

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 07:42 PM

A lowly grip with time on his hands to tape the play and send it to you. And not one single soul saw him. Now aint that something. LOL

Roberta

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
You can plant YOUR lips right on my ass.

Im the wrong gender for you honey but thanks for the offer.

Roberta

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
A lowly grip with time on his hands to tape the play and send it to you. And not one single soul saw him. Now aint that something. LOL

Roberta

Obviously you don't know what a grip does. They set up the hardware portions of the lighting. Plenty of equpiment and support structures to rest a small camera on, and just leave it to run. You don't have to stand there and hold it the whole time! The ignorance astounds me. But fine... you'll find out for yourself, when Diana never attends a single one of these performances.

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 08:21 PM

A "lowly" grip? I admire all the talent that it takes to put on a production and don't consider any of them "lowly". I'm sure your friend is pleased.

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:27 PM
There was a lot of Flo footage, and Jean Terrell, is a very talented footnote in the Motown Story. They had one big hit, one successful album, and several middling hits. I don't think they sold 10 million records in 3 years, but certainly 5.
Rare Earth? I had 3 of their singles but again, you have to draw the line somewhere. No one is owed anything - there are no "shoulds" it was a TV special and an artistic vision, like the play. There is no right or wrong. The play could have been about the working relationship between Berry & Smokey with Diana having 6 lines and that would have been fine also. Look how Gone With The Wind was edited for the film - you can cut whatever you need to tell the story. A documentary would be different. This is an entertainment piece. Jean Terrell? I doubt anyone will notice her absence. No one is crabbing about Gladys not being mentioned in the play.

They should have at least mentioned Jean Terrell. They didn't even mention Florence Ballard by name and she help sell more records when she was in the Supremes than most of those others. They didn't even show a picture of Rare Earth@!!!!

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Mary Wells was billed as The Queen Of Motown until she split. My bud still calls her Queen Mary.

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah they could have, but why bother? Almost no one really cares that much about JMC or Jean and I never heard a peep about her not being mentioned. All I heard was no Marvelettes and Gladys refused. It won Emmys and huge ratings. I would have preferred Martha & Mary Wells given more time - they were huge Motown stars, but the lock kept ticking. I'd have pulled Adam Ant out but they kept it in. He still talks about his dance with Diana as a high point of his career. LOL.

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I prefer Miss Ross and Martha & Tammi and Gladys to Jean. Technically, I'd vote Diana and Gladys.

QUOTE=marv2;154058]The producers and certain people want to pretend that Jean Terrell never made an impact when she was probably the greatest female vocalist technically Motown ever had.[/QUOTE]

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't think he'll reply to that one. LOL

Well then by that logic he also made Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, etc.

supremester
03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Only the public can make a star. You can mold guide cajoll or tear all the 20's in half you want, but only the public decides. Take 2 copies of Citizen Kane and call me in the morning.

It is true. Berry Gordy made "Diana Ross" whether she or her fans like it or not!

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 08:55 PM
One thing positive I will say, that boy they have playing Michael Jackson is really good! They did a real good job with the making the clothes look right, those peach colored trousers and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were very authentic. And I also am in total agreement with everyone else in that the Doris Day and Tony Bennett segements need to GO. Tedious BS that is not needed.

smark21
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Only the public can make a star. You can mold guide cajoll or tear all the 20's in half you want, but only the public decides. Take 2 copies of Citizen Kane and call me in the morning.

LOL! If you trade me Diana Ross for Anna Sten, Lucille Bremer, Vera Hruba Ralston, Bella Darvi, and Pia Zadora, I would still be way ahead.

REDHOT
03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
LOL
Please stay positive

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Right - because none of the theater staff would notice a camera set up - next?

Your'e so right... it's virtually impossible to tape a broadway play and get away with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJPIbbLnj8g

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Your'e so right... it's virtually impossible to tape a broadway play and get away with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJPIbbLnj8g

So "your'e" saying this is from a lowly grip and not an audience member?

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
and this is what happens when you get caught

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruzPfJ9Rys

jillfoster
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
So "your'e" saying this is from a lowly grip and not an audience member?

No, this one is obviously from an audience member. Appears to be in the balcony.

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 09:45 PM
So no response on "lowly grip"? We all know you are into class warfare by posting the "who would you rather" of Flo and the lovely Andante.

Roberta75
03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
jillfoster the boy playing Michael looks real good on the clips I saw on youtube and yes the peach colored pants and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were real authentic. We probably saw the same youtube clips. I agree when we all read 'Miltons review' it probably hit us all that Doris day and tony bennett parts need to get cut.

Roberta

alexgarret
03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
So no response on "lowly grip"? We all know you are into class warfare by posting the "who would you rather" of Flo and the lovely Andante.

crickets....

jillfoster
03-18-2013, 12:41 AM
jillfoster the boy playing Michael looks real good on the clips I saw on youtube and yes the peach colored pants and brown and orange patterened shirt they put him were real authentic. We probably saw the same youtube clips. I agree when we all read 'Miltons review' it probably hit us all that Doris day and tony bennett parts need to get cut. Roberta

I think I'm gonna have to ask you for receipt. I've only seen youtube clips where the young talented boy playing Michael where he is wearing tan pants and the purple fringe vest. The tape I saw, he was wearing trousers that were a dark, dusty peach color, and a polyester type shirt that was bronzy brown and burnt orange in a diagonal, striped, crisscross type pattern. If there is a youtube clip of him wearing that, I apologize, but I have not seen it.

Penny
03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
I finally know what a "grip" does. Thank you. I learned something in this thread.

Penny;)
AVON for Broadway Shows!

smark21
03-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Are these the videos you’ve seen?

http://www.youtube.com/user/motownthemusical

milven
03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Are these the videos you’ve seen?

http://www.youtube.com/user/motownthemusical

Those are publicity clips. Since Jillfoster has the entire show, it would be nice if the entire performance by Raymond Luke Jr as Michael was posted on Youtube so we can all enjoy it. It was the closest thing to a show stopper in the show.

Rosa Refried
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
and this is what happens when you get caught

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruzPfJ9Rys

You gotta love La Patti!

Roberta75
03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Those are publicity clips. Since Jillfoster has the entire show, it would be nice if the entire performance by Raymond Luke Jr as Michael was posted on Youtube so we can all enjoy it. It was the closest thing to a show stopper in the show.

LOL i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for jillfosters clip from the 'tape' he claims to have Milven.

Roberta

alexgarret
03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Looking good!
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/stop_in_the_name_of_style_8jn6bmycL8wPDHH2ZFYy7J

thisoldheart
03-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Looking good!
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/stop_in_the_name_of_style_8jn6bmycL8wPDHH2ZFYy7J
... love the line in this promo ..."it's motown, and it's motown authentically presented on broadway"!

skooldem1
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
'Motown: The Musical' earns $1 million its first week on Broadway

By Jamie Wetherbe

Motown founder Berry Gordy has another hit on his hands: "Motown: The Musical" cracked the million-dollar mark after its first week of previews on Broadway.

The show grossed $1.03 million after seven performances starting March 11 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in New York, according to the Broadway League. "Motown" this week starts its eight-performance standard schedule, priming the production to become a regular among Broadway's top earners.

The show charts Gordy's career from boxer to music mogul, punctuated with hits from Motown heavyweights and a romance with Diana Ross.

The production, which officially opens April 14, stars Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon [["The Color Purple") and Valisia Lekae [["The Book of Mormon") as Gordy and Ross. Raymond Luke Jr., Jibreel Mawry, Bryan Terrell Clark and Charl Brown round out the cast.

Another newcomer also hit the million-dollar mark for the week ending March 17. Nora Ephron’s soon-to-open drama, “Lucky Guy,” starring Tom Hanks and Maura Tierney, grossed $1.29 million at the Broadhurst Theatre.

Other top earners for the week included "Wicked" [[$1.95 million), "The Lion King"[[$1.78 million), "The Book of Mormon" [[$1.67 million), "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" [[$1.26 million), "Cinderella" [[$1.1 million) and "The Phantom of the Opera" [[$1.07 million).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-motown-hits-million-mark-broadway-20130318,0,3492678.story

willtomb
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
the sad part of this musical is that no doubt mary Wilson will come out of the woodwork just to score even more points about Diana ross, although I loved all the three supremes people are a little tired of this continuous Diana ross baiting..Mary was a important part as was Florence and cindy but she really needs to let go.. you never hear cindy bad mouth anyone and that shows class

carole cucumber
03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, willtomb.
But I do have a few questions. Have you been in contact with Mary? Has she told you personally that this is what she is planning to do?
If you have read through several of the posts in the Motown forum, you would see that Mary Wilson has been keeping herself quite busy and has not been hiding in any woodwork, as you put it. If you are not in frequent contact with Mary Wilson, there is no way that you can state that NO DOUBT this is what Mary will do.
If you read through several posts in the Motown Forum, you will see that it is not the Supremes themselves who fan the flames, but rather a certain type of fan [[one with a bias for one Supreme over another/others) who sometimes knowingly and sometimes unknowingly stirs the pot.
Various posters have reminded us that each Supreme has her strengths and each Supreme has her faults. Some Supremes have had differences in the past but have attempted to/have moved on past them and gotten on with their lives.
It's a shame that some fans haven't.

Ollie9
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
A very intuitive post Carole. Hopefully you have nipped something in the bud [[though I doubt it). Could not agree more.

jobeterob
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
It's a hit already?!

Roberta75
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Look at the kid who plays Michael jackson with the lady who play Mary Wells.6403

milven
03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
It's a hit already?!
It's too early to call it a hit. [[It didn't even open yet. First week of previews) But if continues to do as well as it did this week and the critics don't kill it when it opens, it will be a hit. It did 100 % capacity this week

Production
[[Theatre) Gross Gross Attendance Prev. Perf. Seats Avg. Paid Admission % Cap.

Ann
[[Beaumont) $376,134 5,923 0 8 1,113 $63.50 66.5%
Annie
[[Palace) $814,915 9,648 0 8 1,708 $84.46 70.6%
Breakfast at Tiffany's
[[Cort) $396,866 6,632 8 0 1,079 $59.84 76.8%
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
[[Rodgers) $693,100 7,259 0 8 1,384 $95.48 65.6%
Chicago
[[Ambassador) $649,577 7,897 0 8 1,080 $82.26 91.4%
Cinderella
[[Broadway) $1,102,496 12,132 0 8 1,751 $90.88 86.6%
Hands on a Hardbody
[[Atkinson) $196,151 5,624 8 0 1,023 $34.88 68.7%
Jersey Boys
[[Wilson) $905,013 9,263 0 8 1,228 $97.70 94.3%
Kinky Boots
[[Hirschfeld) $714,331 9,632 7 0 1,424 $74.16 96.6%
Lucky Guy
[[Broadhurst) $1,294,233 9,545 8 0 1,182 $135.59 100.9%
Mamma Mia!
[[Winter Garden) $749,447 9,340 0 8 1,479 $80.24 78.9%
Matilda
[[Shubert) $835,432 9,946 7 0 1,427 $84.00 99.6%
Motown
[[Lunt-Fontanne) $1,029,883 10,554 7 0 1,465 $97.58 102.9%
Newsies
[[Nederlander) $951,680 9,554 0 8 1,195 $99.61 99.9%
Nice Work If You Can Get It
[[Imperial) $650,966 8,287 0 8 1,439 $78.55 72.0%
Once
[[Jacobs) $977,861 8,472 0 8 1,058 $115.42 100.1%
Rock of Ages
[[Hayes) $420,521 4,460 0 8 583 $94.29 95.6%
Spider-Man…Dark
[[Foxwoods) $1,264,081 14,360 0 8 1,930 $88.03 93.0%
The Book of Mormon
[[O'Neill) $1,667,180 8,752 0 8 1,066 $190.49 102.6%
The Lion King
[[Minskoff) $1,776,767 13,134 0 8 1,677 $135.28 97.9%
The Phantom of the Opera
[[Majestic) $1,065,032 12,681 0 8 1,605 $83.99 98.8%
Vanya and…Spike
[[Golden) $338,621 6,088 3 5 787 $55.62 96.7%
Wicked
[[Gershwin) $1,950,727 14,409 0 8 1,809 $135.38 99.6

ralpht
03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Ollie,
Thanks for pointing out a potential problem. He's right gang. Let's keep this conversation on point.

ralpht
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Carole,
Your very wise words have been said before. Too bad some don't listen.

smark21
03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Mary has been very positive about the 60s Supremes for a number of years now and has kept whatever issues she may have to herself in her interviews. As Carole states, it’s just a few of the fans who like to stir up the old wars and sometimes fans like Willtomb [[what a name!) project their frustrations with fan wars unto a particular Supremes or else they ‘re projecting their own negative intentions on whichever group member vexes them.

I believe the previews are playing at near 100% capacity---I tried to get a ticket last week but only premium tickets were available that night. Looks like I’ll have to either pre order or wait awhile as I suspect the show will be running for awhile.

alexgarret
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Impressive first week box office! I was wondering if this would be a Baby, It's You or a Jersey Boys. Looks like it may be a Mama Mia - the critics hate it but the masses love it. It would be great if it's the latter or a Jersey Boys because it will be great for the Motown brand and New York tourism. I know hard core New Yorkers snub their noses at tourists, but I'm one of those at least twice a year and spend big bucks when I'm in the city.

REDHOT
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
I can't wait to see this play Motown The Muscial,no matter what people say lol
Please stay positive

milven
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
I can't wait to see this play Motown The Musical,no matter what people say lol
Please stay positive
So far, the only people that I have heard talking negatively about the musical are people who have not seen it. I have no trouble staying positive about this musical.

Impressive first week box office! I was wondering if this would be a Baby, It's You or a Jersey Boys. Looks like it may be a Mama Mia - the critics hate it but the masses love it. It would be great if it's the latter or a Jersey Boys because it will be great for the Motown brand and New York tourism. I know hard core New Yorkers snub their noses at tourists, but I'm one of those at least twice a year and spend big bucks when I'm in the city.

I don't think I qualify as a hard core New Yorker, but I don't look down my nose at tourists in NYC. If we are sitting next to tourists in a theatre, we discuss plays that they saw and intend to see. I've never seen Mama Mia. But I have seen JERSEY BOYS, MOTOWN THE MUSICAL and BABY IT'S YOU. I enjoyed all three. I hope MOTOWN THE MUSICAL is a hit.

jobeterob
03-20-2013, 03:22 AM
Great start.

Maybe someday in the next year I will got to NYC and see it and stop at the Museum in Detroit and see it.

So, after Broadway, do these shows sometimes do tours around the country in a few years? How does that work?

nathanj06
03-20-2013, 06:15 AM
omg...and let it be written...

smark21
03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
If a Broadway musical proves to be something of a hit, then generally a year or two after its official opening there will be official road tour productions that will hit the road. Also if Motown hits, I wouldn’t be shocked if there will be a Vegas production as several Broadway shows such as Lion King have been playing for a long time in Vegas.

milven
03-20-2013, 04:11 PM
And with Britain's love of Motown, it may even wind up in the West End

alexgarret
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Sales for the next 6 weeks look pretty good

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&=&user_input=motown+the+musical&q=motown+the+musical

willtomb
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
if you had actually read what I wrote ...I said I loved all the supremes and was not fanning any flames its people like you who fan the flames because someone dared to dsay something about ONE of them ....you need to grow up[

144man
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
if you had actually read what I wrote ...I said I loved all the supremes and was not fanning any flames its people like you who fan the flames because someone dared to dsay something about ONE of them ....you need to grow up[

I don't see Carole's post as being particularly confrontational. Anyone who posts here on Supremes' topics [[and this isn't even a Supremes' thread) are advised to tread carefully and to develop a thick skin.

alexgarret
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
A fair, balanced review...
Sat it last night. Short answer on Motown was that I came very close to loving it, even at 2:50 with 65 songs! [[At least last night, the show started at 8pm SHARP.)

The book, as I expected, would have its shortcomings, especially in the first half which packed so much in. Act Two was much smoother. But the casting, the choreography, the design elements – there was soooo much talent [[and money, oh the money) on that stage, I ended up really, really liking it.

One of my favorite weirdly-written lines was when Berry Gordy said about the Jackson Five before a blackout, “They’re about to become superstars…I hope they can handle it.” If my Playbill was in my hands, I would have thrown it in the air in anger. There’s foreshadowing, and then there’s foreshadowing.

But the book scenes are relatively short, and then a new number starts and you immediately forget them - so if you take away the book’s problems, then I loved it.

jillfoster
03-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Sounds like everyone would love it if they simply excised the entire story, and simply made a non-stop musical revue. It probably would have been better.

alexgarret
03-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Looks like they are "fixing" it - audiences love it - sales are great. Yea for the Motown brand - everyone wins.

alexgarret
03-22-2013, 11:50 PM
"everyone would love it" is kind of a broad statement, don't you think?

milven
03-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Sounds like everyone would love it if they simply excised the entire story, and simply made a non-stop musical revue. It probably would have been better.

Not how I interpreted his review. He said they tried to pack too much book into the first half of the show. Some stuff has to be cut. Start with the Doris and Tony Bennett segments. They are needless. Seems like everyone who saw the show likes it.

The show has been starting exactly at eight since it opened. With the musical ending after 11, I guess they have to start on time, which is not common for Broadway .

jobeterob
03-23-2013, 02:09 AM
BET.COM

Motown: The Musical Is Broadway Hit

The show earns $1 million in first week of previews.

By Evelyn Diaz

Posted: 03/22/2013 09:00 AM EDT

Filed Under Berry Gordy, Celebrity News, Motown Records, Broadway, Diana Ross

Fifty years after its heyday, Motown is still churning out the hits.

Motown: The Musical, a Broadway extravaganza chronicling the rise of Motown founder Berry Gordy and his relationship with Diana Ross, is a certified smash hit. The musical earned $1 million from seven shows in its first week of previews.

The production stars Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon [[The Color Purple) and Valisia Lekae [[The Book of Mormon) as Gordy and Ross. Raymond Luke Jr., Jibreel Mawry, Bryan Terrell Clark and Charl Brown round out the cast.

The musical faces stiff competition on Broadway from such long-running hits as Wicked, The Book of Mormon and The Lion King, but audiences have spoken loudly and it's clear they're ready to go back to Detroit.

Motown: The Musical officially opens on April 14.

LuvHangOva
03-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Regarding the Doris Day episode in the libretto for Motown, The Musical: first let me say I have NOT seen the production yet so I will defer to the opinions of those who have until I can judge for myself. Maybe it does need to be tweaked or aborted altogether. I hope the latter is not the case. When I read Berry Gordy's book that part was important to me because it helped explain his "process"

I could see he had a clear cut idea of the demographic he wanted to reach when he was developing the image and personna of the performer he called " my star". As we all know at one point he hoped that star would be Mary Wells. Using the mass market appeal of Doris Day as the template, the goal was to develop and manage the career of someone who could captivate the broadest cross section of the American public as possible. He studied Doris Day's success and tried to find a unique way to capture that type of demographic without being an exact duplication of her. That's where he got his marketing strategy from. AND..... It worked!!

For me that's an important element to his story. It helped me understand his motives and some of the ensuing drama [[and melodrama) that we have heard so much about.

However, I realize it could be that its not written very well or played very well in the current version of the book for the show as alluded to by several first hand observations. I could only judge that by experiencing the show myself. Til then I will defer to those who have.

milven
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
You make a good point about the Doris Day segment. I read his book many years ago, but don't even remember the Doris Day part. As your post states, it does explain his goal for the company. But with the show having to start at 8 sharp and ending after 11, something has to be cut and the Tony Bennett and Doris Day segments are my choices. I think the story can still move forward without those segments.

I think all of us on this board love the Motown Music and the Story of Motown so much, that we want to see it all represented in the show. I know I would. I would sit in my seat till past midnight to see more. Of course that is unrealistic for the general theatre audience.

But then, back in the nineties, there was a play that was so long that they presented it in two parts. You had to go back to the theatre on another night to see the second part. Again, that would be too much for the general audience, but I would love it :)

LuvHangOva
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Temptation Otis Williams and long time Motown manager, Shelly Berger discuss Motown: The Musical and the prospects of a new musical about The Temptations with Tavis Smiley.

http://www.tavissmileyradio.com/otis-williams-shelly-berger-motown-the-musical/ [[http://www.tavissmileyradio.com/otis-williams-shelly-berger-motown-the-musical/)

milven
03-29-2013, 12:28 PM
“CBS SUNDAY MORNING”
The popular news program is doing a story on Berry Gordy and the making of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL! Tune in from 9:00 to 10:30 AM on CBS this SUNDAY, MARCH 31ST!

“GOOD MORNING AMERICA”
The cast will be performing during the 8:00 AM hour on APRIL 4TH! Tune in on ABC

thommg
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I saw the show last week. They are constantly changing things and have at least 10 more days of previews to continue creating the show. These are my thoughts on the show I saw.

The show will be a hit. I base this on the fact that the box office was consistently telling people that they had minimal or no tickets for most nights. Most shows in previews do not put tickets at TKTS, instead they leak a discount code for the show. The producers have pulled the discount code. The energy in the theatre as the audience entered was palpable. The room was electric and the audience was ready. I go to a lot of theatre in NYC and it has been a long, long time since I felt that kind of eergy in a theatre.

The music is fabulous. Many songs just a chorus or a few lines but, for some reason. you don't feel cheated. The roles of Berry, Diana, Smokey are fleshed out. Most of the others are not. many of the secondary acts are presented as too generic, i.e., wigs on the Supremes that the Vandellas would have worn. Mary & Flo each wearing the same wig. The Vandellas dresses all the same and, though they may have worn something similar, the dresses were not a true reflection of their look. The Temptations seemed like 5 guys onstage in the same outfit, the Four Tops were the same. Each group does a signature move but the rest is just generic dance. I had problems with some of the voices as well. Mary Wells never sounded as she does in this production. The production Mary oversings tremendously in a voice that is a little gospel and raspy - there is no smoothness at all. The Martha sings loud but doesn't have the quality of Ms. Reeves and sounds more like she's a tribute band member. Marvin did not have the smoothness of vocals or even the attitude of Mr. Gaye - never came close to reminding me of Marvin - but his big scene was well acted.

The show covers a lot of ground. Much is missing. But the show, as presented, was about the big things in Berry Gordy, Jr.'s life, not Motown. The Doris Day segment was short and, I thought, worked well in showing you what Berry worked for in his music. One of the things I loved was the opening night of Diana Ross in Vegas after leaving the Supremes. Tickets sales are not going well, we are told [[in front of a huge sign that says Frontier Hotel), and you can hear the original recording of Up The Ladder To The Roof playing in the background. Berry says something like "could someone stop that damn song? I don't want Diana to hear a Supremes hit when her song isn't doing well!" The War segment is fantastic, the Jackson 5 segment is good and solid, and there is a good segment dedicated to the acts that scored singles after the original mainstays have left the company.
The sets and the costumes are fantastic. Quite a bit of money went into both aspects.

Again, this show is about Berry. It concerns the company he built and his love for Diana Ross as both a performer and a woman. And the show is all about the music. I don't think it was a great show but I had a fantastic night in the theatre. Hopefully, they can skim some time off it. It ran 2:50 when I saw it and they should probably cut at least 10 minutes out of it. If anyone from the production wants to know what my 10 minutes would be.... contact me!

And, jillfoster, MJ does wear the tan pants and the purple fringed vest in the show. He actually has a couple of outfits.

revvy
03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Great review! It echoed my sentiments exactly. I would cut the "Tears of a Clown" segment. It's unfortunate because it is one of my favorite Motown songs and Charl Brown sings it great, but the puppet choreography was needless and distracting. What did you think of it?

thommg
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Great review! It echoed my sentiments exactly. I would cut the "Tears of a Clown" segment. It's unfortunate because it is one of my favorite Motown songs and Charl Brown sings it great, but the puppet choreography was needless and distracting. What did you think of it?

My problem with the segment stemmed from it being too long and too literal. They could have accomplished more with much less - speeding up the segment and the show. But Charl Brown sang it very well. He had that Smokey voice happening both in song and just speaking. Valisia Lekae also nailed Diana Ross' speaking voice. Her vocals were pretty close as well.

Jimi LaLumia
03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
From what I read in the post from 'thommg", Gordy actually concedes that he didn't want the 70's Supremes with Jean to do as well or better than a solo Ross..
I've felt that was the case since 1973,as a fan of both acts, and seeing how the JMC group was treated,but it's nice to hear him actually admit it!..

thommg
03-30-2013, 09:23 PM
From what I read in the post from 'thommg", Gordy actually concedes that he didn't want the 70's Supremes with Jean to do as well or better than a solo Ross..
I've felt that was the case since 1973,as a fan of both acts, and seeing how the JMC group was treated,but it's nice to hear him actually admit it!..

Wow, you really have to stretch to read that into what I said. What he said was they had a hit and Ross didn't and he didn't want her to hear that as she was opening as a solo artist. Where in the hell do you get Gordy doesn't want the Supremes to do as well or better than a solo Ross? Please....

revvy
03-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I always thought it would have been better to rename the group after Ross left. That way, there would have been no competition between Ross and the New Supremes. That's what we called them anyway...The New Supremes or the Rossless Supremes. It just felt awkward to say. They probably would have been better promoted as a new entity IMHO. In my heart of hearts, I do believe Berry/Motown purposely did not promote the New Supremes as they should have been promoted. I wouldn't call it sabotage necessarily, but they certainly weren't working overtime to ensure their success like they did when Diana was part of the group.

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2013, 10:27 PM
they were called the 'new' Supremes for the first few months of 1970, and then that was over..
and why would Ross be upset to hear The Supremes having a hit when she didn't, unless they were regarded as her competition [[which I'm sure, Jean Terrell was)..
and we all know what happened to female competition for Miss Ross at Motown, just ask Gladys Horton, Martha Reeves, Gladys Knight, etc.. or Jean Terrell... and it's well known that I'm a huge lifelong Ross fan, #1, but as I've stated many times, I don't drink the Kool Aid, and I acknowledge the deficiencies of Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and Diana Ross..and especially Berry Gordy, who stirred the pot, continuously..
and I love him, the music and The Supremes, but i also love the truth, and the truth is, he would never allow any other female act to eclipse Diana Ross...ever..

reese
03-31-2013, 12:29 AM
I caught the matinee of this show this afternoon. I purposely stayed away from this thread or any other reviews so that I would be totally surprised when I saw the show.

I loved the show, and from the response of my fellow audience members, I would assume they did as well. I was most impressed by the actress who played Diana. She really captured Diana both on and off stage. The young man who played Michael Jackson was great as well.

It is rather fast-moving, and many things don't get developed as well as they might have been, if there had been unlimited time. But there really wasn't ever a moment to get bored, especially with all that great music.

I was surprised that Stevie Wonder wasn't featured much. He is shown as a boy in the first act, and only sings two songs in the second, one of which is his HAPPY BRITHDAY tribute to MLK. I was also surprised that Martha Reeves wasn't featured at all, and only one of her songs made the show. I'm not surprised that every act couldn't be featured, but those two,at least, I thought deserved more.

milven
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Reese, thanks for getting back on topic. I am glad that you enjoyed the show. So far, everyone who has seen the show and posted in this thread has liked it.

jobeterob
03-31-2013, 03:37 AM
It's time for all fans to get behind it and accept it as the latest Motown hit, even those that are bitter.

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
It's time for all fans to get behind it and accept it as the latest Motown hit, even those that are bitter.
Motown and Berry Gordy Jr. were featured on CBS Sunday Morning. Lots of great, rare footage of the musicians, artists, etc. It indeed is a hit.

milven
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
“CBS SUNDAY MORNING”
The popular news program is doing a story on Berry Gordy and the making of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL! Tune in from 9:00 to 10:30 AM on CBS this SUNDAY, MARCH 31ST!

“GOOD MORNING AMERICA”
The cast will be performing during the 8:00 AM hour on APRIL 4TH! Tune in on ABC

Motown and Berry Gordy Jr. were featured on CBS Sunday Morning. Lots of great, rare footage of the musicians, artists, etc. It indeed is a hit.

I just watched it. Very nice interview and some interesting clips from the show including the finale of Motown 25, which in the show was changed from SOMEDAY to MOUNTAIN. Hopefully, the segment will be put up on You Tube later

milven
03-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Here is a link to Berry's interview on CBS THIS MORNING

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57577147/berry-gordy-recreates-the-legend-of-motown/

Kamasu_Jr
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
GOOD TO SEE you were on it, Milven. The segment could have been longer, but it appears Berry Gordy has struck gold again. Do you know if he's still in New York overseeing the musical?

milven
03-31-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't know, but there sure is a lot of footage of him in NYC

LuvHangOva
03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Here's the link to the actual video of the BG interview from CBS This Morning!!! After seeing it I can already tell they will be calling paramedics to remove me from the theatre. For me the best thing about the clip is the end. Since i first heard it I have gotten thru EVERY tough point in my life by just remembering this version of the last song used in this clip. Now to see it's being used
in the climax of a hit Broadway show. Wow! Almost too much for me! Just seeing the few seconds of it in this clip brought tears to my eyes! So powerful.... Yup, they will be wheeling me out of the Lunt-Fontanne on a stretcher!!! LOL

http://m.cbsnews.com/postwatch.rbml?pageType=video&cbsID=50143916

revvy
03-31-2013, 04:06 PM
One thing that struck me seeing the show earlier this month was the performance of the Tempts "Ball of Confusion" actually sounded better live on stage than the original recording. I sure hope they don't cut that segment. It's really good and is so reflective of the state of the world today. Safe to say nothing has changed in 40 years. The world is such a mess right now.

jobeterob
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
I thought the clip showed a very exciting show as well. You are not a fan anymore if you lived through all of that and do not find that exciting. I'm going to have to go to New York and see that.

thommg
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
One thing that struck me seeing the show earlier this month was the performance of the Tempts "Ball of Confusion" actually sounded better live on stage than the original recording. I sure hope they don't cut that segment. It's really good and is so reflective of the state of the world today. Safe to say nothing has changed in 40 years. The world is such a mess right now.

Revvy, I don't think that will get cut since the entire segment is tied in with the civil unrest in the nation. The song and that segment really worked well in the show.

hwume
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/04/01/motown-breaks-broadway-musical-preview-records/

alexgarret
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Way wow - this is fantastic. I still think that critics are going to eat this show alive, but the masses are going to love it. Win Win for the Motown brand. I can't wait to see it in June.

Wow.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/04/01/motown-breaks-broadway-musical-preview-records/

jobeterob
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Here is Harry's article.

Looks like Universal will sell some music arising from this.

Andrew Eccles
Brandon Victor Dixon as Berry Gordy and Valisia LeKae as Diana Ross.The new Broadway show, “Motown: The Musical,” about the life of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, Jr., grossed more than $1 million at the box office last week, the third week in a row it has done so.

It is the first time in 15 years that an original musical opening cold on Broadway — without a prior, out-of-town engagement or transfer from London’s West End — has grossed more than $1 million for three consecutive weeks during previews before its opening.

For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” grossed $1,164,191 with 1455 seats sold during eight shows; for the week ended March 24, it grossed $1,015,331 with 1465 seats sold during seven shows; and for the week ended March 17, it grossed $1,029,883 with 1465 seats sold during seven shows.*

For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” also had the highest percentage capacity of Broadway shows.

Such strong box-office sales during the first three weeks of previews is rare for an original Broadway musical that hasn’t had a long lead time to build word-of-mouth. “Motown: The Musical” did benefit from awareness built by a Chrysler television commercial that followed Berry Gordy, Jr., in a Chrysler 300 Motown sedan from landmarks in Detroit, to New York’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre where the musical is being performed.

“This is a musical about a family, a group of people who come together and build a community around trying to create the best music possible,” said Kevin McCollum, the show’s lead producer, who also produced the Tony Award-winning musicals “Rent,” “Avenue Q” and “In the Heights.” Those three shows, including “Drowsy Chaperone,” which he also produced, were all original musicals to Broadway with first-time directors and authors.

“I love working with new artists,” McCollum said. “Who would have thought Berry Gordy is a ‘new artist’? But he is, he’s the book writer.”

“The one thing about this show that’s true of all my shows is there’s a good story where an individual has an earthly problem and finds a way to find their family. By finding their family, they solve their earthly problems,” he said. “We can understand what it’s like to keep a family together.”

As “Motown” is still nearly two weeks away from its April 14 opening, there are still changes being made, McCollum said, but he said every night has sold out in terms of seats and standing room spaces. He called it “1512 people having a celebration” every night.

“I’ve been doing this for so many years, and I haven’t seen anything like this,” he said.

*Source: The Broadway League

midnightman
04-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Wow.

What it shows to me, Harry, is that Motown still attracts audiences... Motown is forever.

snakepit
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm visting NYC in July , travelling from the UK. Decided to take the plunge and bought tickets to see "Motown the Musical"
today....I have been following this thread ", which predictably has
turned into a Supremes bunfight at times.
But it seems to be a Broadway hit already, with initial preview sales very good.
I expect that elements of this show will 'wind me up' but as my 3 travelling
partners are not deep Motown fans, I have decided to go to the show, as I'm sure
it will be on a level they will enjoy and the music and dance will produce a
great show. I did intend to book this in NYC but if it does take off, it may
sell out, and as we're there at 4th July holiday , it will be packed no doubt,
so decided to booked in advance.

jobeterob
04-03-2013, 02:11 AM
For the week ended March 31, “Motown: The Musical” also had the highest percentage capacity of Broadway shows.

mirage
04-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Why would you accuse anyone of being bitter, Bob? I’m not --- as I’m a “never-was Motown alum” … only a Motown Fan.

And exactly why would such embittered individuals have to follow your demand and get behind a dumbed down tourist tribute show? Motown music has always been a “Doris Day” hit --- it is that same crossover music that creates this Broadway show and makes it a Motown hit. It is the Motown music catalogue that actually creates BB’s entire show. A standing ovation for the music …

There is no Pulitzer Prize BB book … To Be Loved … The book didn’t sell when it was published and BB still can’t sell it as a best seller on Broadway. And the veracity of the book’s content … as allegedly written by a non-charitable guy who pimped out his wife, sold out his artists and gambled big on Hollywood … and then can’t get it up when it counts most … well I guess he says it all himself. No further elaboration required.

And Sony, Universal and Chrysler [[amongst other “unknown” entities) are investors … they require a multi-million dollar payback or is it playback or maybe Blackjack. Whatever … the roll of the Motown music dice was always banked on the Motown Music catalogue successfully selling to Broadway. And it is selling …

BB’s To Be Loved will always be remembered as the book that didn’t sell at Barnes & Noble … and it is that same book that is unable to sell itself on Broadway. A book flop … either way. But, great Musical score! And some talented tribute singers.

See that things have not changed much on this site … other than the addition of other personalities …

I’ll try and give an unbiased hit or miss review after April 14.

milven
04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
...I’ll try and give an unbiased hit or miss review after April 14.

After your previous posts, I didn't think you had any interest in seeing it. Do you have tickets to see it after it opens so that you can give it your unbiased hit or miss review? Tickets are becoming scarce and are now selling at full price.

jobeterob
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Mirage, I have no standing to "demand" anything. It just seems very strange to me for people to call themselves "Motown Fans" and to hope for a failure in Berry's last hurrah and to relish the possibility of a flop.

I accuse no one of being bitter; but a few people, yourself included, appear to be bitter about something. Generally it is over the lack of recognition of certain people or groups or the fact that Berry and a few of his artists made millions of dollars and most of the rest of everybody came up with not very much. You know, I don't like that either. But we live in a capitalist, free enterprise country and the chips aren't pretty all the time when they fall. And I thoroughly understand that Berry is probably bombarded by requests for assistance daily; as are Diana, Stevie, Lionel and Smokey. And I can even see why many of the requests never even make it to them and why they could not honour them all.

Methuselah2
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Video clip - 2.5 mns. - Bringing Motown to Broadway

[[My apologies if this is a duplicate posting.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4UNKJ5agM

milven
04-04-2013, 11:34 PM
MOTOWN THE MUSICAL has been featured on Entertainment Tonight all this week and this morning, some of the cast was on GOOD MORNING AMERICA performing in the studio and Dancing in the Street outside the studio in Times Square.

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/gma-motow...080000514.html

skooldem1
04-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Meet Motown The musical's Diana Ross- Valisia Lekae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXEW3rThuA

Berry Gordy, and the actor that plays him, and the actress that plays Diana were interviewed on ET. Valisia Lekae was asked if she had a chance to meet Diana yet, and she responded "Not yet. Soon. Very very soon". Don't know if this means that Diana will visit the cast, or if she is planning on attending opening night. Video link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUSRHVTdig

LuvHangOva
04-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Great article about the marketing and advertising for Motown:The Musical.

http://jkstheatrescene.blogspot.com/2013/03/logos-motown-musical.html?m=1

longtimefan
04-06-2013, 12:51 PM
There had been discussion about a "Motown Family Night" being part of the show's preview weeks, with many former Motowners in attendance. Did this occur? Who was there?

That said, do we have any information about which Motowners will be in attaendance on opening night on April 11th?

alexgarret
04-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Family Night was last night
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-Berry-Gordy-and-More-Celebrate-Family-Night-at-MOTOWN-on-Broadway-20130406

There had been discussion about a "Motown Family Night" being part of the show's preview weeks, with many former Motowners in attendance. Did this occur? Who was there?

That said, do we have any information about which Motowners will be in attaendance on opening night on April 11th?

Roberta75
04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Family Night was last night
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-Berry-Gordy-and-More-Celebrate-Family-Night-at-MOTOWN-on-Broadway-20130406

Mr Gordy look so happy and proud and the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves look beautiful a true superstar.

Thank you for the link alexgarret.

Roberta

carole cucumber
04-06-2013, 01:31 PM
In the photos, #19 is mis-identified as Betty Kelly when it is actually Annette Beard; and in all photos with Cal Gil, she is incorrectly listed as Mildred Gil-Arbor.

smark21
04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Must have been interesting for Martha, Rosalind, Annette and Betty to be in the same room together last night.

theboyfromxtown
04-06-2013, 01:53 PM
In the photos, #19 is mis-identified as Betty Kelly when it is actually Annette Beard; and in all photos with Cal Gil, she is incorrectly listed as Mildred Gil-Arbor.

Thank you Carole. Millie did not attend. The photo's also mix up Norma and Bertha....Bertha has dark hair , Norma's is blond

carole cucumber
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Thank you Carole. Millie did not attend. The photo's also mix up Norma and Bertha....Bertha has dark hair , Norma's is blond

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that fact.
Have the Velvelettes told you if they enjoyed the production?

jobeterob
04-06-2013, 02:57 PM
From Andrew on Facebook

Motown The Musical: Motown Family Alumni night April 5, 2013. Wonderful show! Still needs some fine tuning before opening but the show is really great. I highly recommend that the fans go see it. It was so much fun. The after party was incredible. Thank you Mr. Gordy, Harry Weinger, Brian Drutman, Bruce Resnikoff, Allen Rawls, Stevie Wonder, Chris Clark, Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, Abdul Duke Fakir, Claudette First-Lady Robinson, Claudette Robinson, Dennis Edwards, Martha Reeves, Rosalind Lee Holmes, Betty Kelly, Annette L. Helton, Cal Street, Norma Barbee, Millie Gill, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Timothy D. Bellavia, Janie Bradford, Clay McMurray, Pat Cosby, Karla Gordy-Bristol, Kennedy "Rockwell" Gordy, Dillon Gorman, the talented cast of the musical, and anyone else I forgot to mention here, for a truly amazing and wonderful evening! — with Janie Bradford and 3 others.

jobeterob
04-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the pictures Alex.

theboyfromxtown
04-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that fact.
Have the Velvelettes told you if they enjoyed the production?

Not yet...I am just hoping that they are enjoying themselves.

theboyfromxtown
04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
That picture between Janie Bradford and Claudette Robinson listed as Eddie Holland is also wrong..it's Brian Holland

jobeterob
04-06-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrkMscl-Wzo&list=UUCA7uLRIzsMP_751XL0XHlA

Awesome talk about his children.

theboyfromxtown
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Smokey doesn't seem to have aged at all, lucky him. Not a wrinkle in sight. Must be something in his jeans....err, I mean genes!

Penny
04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
I find this all so exciting. I wish I could've been there when all the stars, or family, where there. Too bad no pictures of Martha Reeves with the three Vandellas in attendance. History right there. Maybe the camera wasn't working right. Roz, Annette and Bettye all looked fine and Martha looked like the star she is. Maybe I should photoshop their pictures together. Originals all together. All of them what a glorious sight!

Penny;)

alexgarret
04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
It was great seeing these greats relishing in the spotlight and the beautiful offspring of those that went before our time. The show seems to be selling well and that is great. I fear that reviews won't be so kind, but hopefully box office will continue to sell well.

theboyfromxtown
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
I was pleased to see that the incorrect credits have been corrected.

Thank you.

jobeterob
04-08-2013, 01:46 AM
smark21 is offline Senior Member

Must have been interesting for Martha, Rosalind, Annette and Betty to be in the same room together last night.

What is the issue between the Vandellas and Martha?

paul_nixon
04-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Smokey doesn't seem to have aged at all, lucky him. Not a wrinkle in sight. Must be something in his jeans....err, I mean genes!
Yeh the wad of cash it took to banish them lines

jobeterob
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Smokey took the line banishment a step too far. I wonder if the tight skin ever hurts.

snakepit
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
if it does it would be the tears of a clown

alexgarret
04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Another $1,000,000 + week for Motown last week.

Roberta75
04-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Another great Tv ad for motown the musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqK1s8GrHg

jobeterob
04-11-2013, 12:10 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50144556n

Berry Gordy interviewed again.

milven
04-12-2013, 08:26 AM
‘Motown’: Mo’ money

April 11, 2013
Michael Riedel
ON BROADWAY
I’ve been a little sniff-sniffy about “Motown, the Musical,” which opens Sunday at the Lunt-Fontanne.

Its script, by Motown mogul Berry Gordy [[with an assist from Dick Scanlan), isn’t exactly “Jersey Boys” — or, for that matter, “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.”

I suggested Gordy cut a scene in which the actor playing him, Brandon Victor Dixon, comes out from under the covers with Diana Ross, played by Valisia Lekae, and is a bit red-faced because, well, Viagra hadn’t been invented in 1966. Ross says, “At least you have power over other aspects of your life,” the bed slides off the stage, and she breaks into “I Hear a Symphony.”

Joan Marcus“Motown, the Musical” has a $16 million advance, more than “Matilda” or “Lucky Guy.”Scissors, please!

But apparently Gordy brushed off my dramaturgical suggestions because the scene is still there, causing considerable rolling of the eyes among theater snobs.

But you know what? It doesn’t matter. I learned yesterday that “Motown” has the highest advance ticket sale of any new show on Broadway — including the critic-pleasing “Matilda The Musical” and “Lucky Guy” with Tom Hanks.

“Motown” will open with more than $16 million in the bank as compared to $14 million for “Matilda” and $10 million for “Lucky Guy.”

Just yesterday, “Motown” wrapped nearly $300,000, which is pretty much a normal day at the Lunt-Fontanne box office.

The “Motown” team is bracing for “a clobbering” from the critics, says a source. And they’re mildly concerned that the reviews will put a damper on ticket sales.

I doubt it. The fact is, that ever-dwindling group of people who still bother to read critics probably isn’t interested in seeing the show in the first place. And those who do want to see a musical called “Motown” probably don’t care what Ben Brantley, Jesse Green, Terry Teachout or George Jean Nathan have to say about anything.

In addition, the reviews are going to be swamped by upbeat media coverage of Sunday night’s opening. The guest list reads like the Songwriters Hall of Fame, albeit the ’60s and ’70s wings: Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, Barry Manilow, David Geffen, Aretha Franklin and, that diva of divas herself — Ross, “The Boss.”

I have a feeling that, Gordy’s script notwithstanding, Sunday’s opening is going to be a hoot.

I’ll be there with my well-worn “An Evening With Diana Ross” album from 1977 — and a pen!

It’s going to be interesting to see how the Tonys treat “Motown.” I can’t imagine the show will be nominated for Best Musical. That category will be filled out by “Matilda” [[which will win), “Kinky Boots,” “Hands on a Hardbody” [[which closes tomorrow) and, probably, “A Christmas Story.” But “Motown” should pick up some acting nominations. And it may well win Best Sound Design. Don’t laugh: I hear the sound system is terrific, which is unexpected because the sound on Broadway leaves a lot to be desired.

But it would be silly to the point of idiotic for the Tonys to give the back of the hand to a show about Motown that’s selling as well as this one is.

Are you going to open a national television awards show with a song from “Cinderella,” or with a medley of hits from Diana Ross and the Supremes — with, perhaps, a special appearance by The Boss herself?

[[I’m still plugging for a Barry Manilow-Bette Midler opening number from their days at the Continental Baths, but that might be better suited to the GLAAD Media Awards than the Tonys.)

CBS executives are pretty much calling the shots these days at the Tonys. That’s because the two organizations that administer the awards — the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing — are so afraid the show will wind up on NY1 someday that they’ll do anything CBS tells them to.

So expect this year’s Tonys to look an awful lot like a salute to Berry Gordy and the music of Motown.

We could do a lot worse.

JL2648
04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
A little piece from today's Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130412/ENT09/304120354/Society-confidential-Motown-Family-Day-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

Jeff

supremester
04-12-2013, 01:55 PM

I know you are disappointed one of your faves didn't make it on, but they just weren't imperative to the event. I expected a medley from the other groupings but I can see why it didn't happen: the general public doesn't care about JMC,JML, MSC, MSS. Supremes fanatics held on for dear life, but the fact is they never caught on as groups and thus weren't missed by most. I mean, I've Never been to Me gets an entire song and Martha & Mary Wells get a verse and chorus? It is what it is, but they weren't gonna take a Ross still out for JMC - no one would know who they were.

supremester
04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
they were called the 'new' Supremes for the first few months of 1970, and then that was over..
and why would Ross be upset to hear The Supremes having a hit when she didn't, unless they were regarded as her competition [[which I'm sure, Jean Terrell was)..
and we all know what happened to female competition for Miss Ross at Motown, just ask Gladys Horton, Martha Reeves, Gladys Knight, etc.. or Jean Terrell... and it's well known that I'm a huge lifelong Ross fan, #1, but as I've stated many times, I don't drink the Kool Aid, and I acknowledge the deficiencies of Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and Diana Ross..and especially Berry Gordy, who stirred the pot, continuously..
and I love him, the music and The Supremes, but i also love the truth, and the truth is, he would never allow any other female act to eclipse Diana Ross...ever..

I have read this argument a million times written by Ross haters, but for some reason, you got through to me. First, I will never believe that Gordy worried JMC would be bigger than Miss Ross. He knew where she was going and what put DR&TS into the stratosphere. Jean Terrell could be the best singer ever since sound began, and not be "competition" for Diana Ross. I loved JMC's initial records but, like most fans and the general public, the group let me flat. The dismal sales for the Touch LP led to a change in producers - not a move to make if you want a group to die off. Martha never was a threat, great as she was, her album sales were awful always. Gladys, however, won her first Grammy at Motown. Her Neither one of Us LP remains the highest charting of her career. Had she not left Motown, ..........who knows? She still would have had Midnight Train, Best Thing and Imagination if she had stayed, but even then, they were a group and Diana Ross was a mega star around the world. I don't know if Berry would have felt Gladys was "bigger" ever, but it's interesting to speculate.

jobeterob
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
So Berry has done it again! His story, his way. Another hit.

jobeterob
04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/168703/feast-your-eyes-on-singing-superstars-in-fabulous-first-look-photos-of-motown-the-musical/

Lots of pictures.

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Rhonda Ross Kendrick & Valisia LeKae:

Just came across this photo . . . and I had to do a double-take. Haven't thought Valisia looks all that much like Diana but, in this side profile shot, the resemblance really made me take a second look. See what you think:

http://d3rm69wky8vagu.cloudfront.net/photos/large/7.178826.jpg

theboyfromxtown
04-15-2013, 06:03 PM

I saw this great shot of Diana and Mary

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM

What a great shot of Diane and Mary. Diane with that mega watt smile and beautiful eyes and Mary with that beautiful bone structures and strong pretty chin. Real pretty ladies.

Thank you for sharing.

Roberta

marv2
04-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Those Detroit girls still looking pretty good huh?

marv2
04-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Mary still has award winning, uh hemmm......charms! LOL!!!!

marybrewster
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM

This is absolutely amazing.

I have no other words to say.

Thank you for posting this.

sophisticated_soul
04-15-2013, 06:49 PM

John, thank you for this lovely photo. Both of these ladies look FABULOUS!!!!!!

Penny
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
This is absolutely amazing.

I have no other words to say.

Thank you for posting this.

That is gorgeous of Miss Ross and Miss Wilson. Thank you so much. It made my day.

Penny:D:D:D:D

LuvHangOva
04-15-2013, 07:31 PM
S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://soulfuldetroit.com/webkit-fake-url://C9DA2C56-0798-4D0D-A841-6AD7498F6A69/imagejpeg

midnightman
04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Now THIS I love! :)

no_place_like_motown
04-16-2013, 08:10 AM

xtown, thanks for this beautiful pic of Diana & Mary. Just look at those smiles! Loving it...

alexgarret
04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
They do look gorgeous Marv - my favorite memory of Mary is her shared vocals on Touch [[still melts me every time I hear it.) As far as Diana - probably her live peformance of the theme from Mahagony from Amsterdam at the Academy Awards. What's your favorite memory of the two of them?

JL2648
04-22-2013, 06:49 AM
From a Chrysler newsletter:

New Broadway musical, Motown, is a hit
"Motown: The Musical" opened on Broadway this week to mixed re-views, but the Chrysler brand advertising campaign around the show has been a definite hit.
"The hit parade reels on seemingly forever in ‘Motown: The Musical,’ a dramatically slapdash but musically vibrant trip back to the glory days of Detroit," the New York Times review said.
Motown Records founder and "Motown: The Musical" author Barry Gordy signed a sponsorship agree-ment with Chrysler which has in-cluded not only financial backing for the show but also producing a spe-cial Motown edition of its Chrysler 300 sedan, Forbes said. Chrysler created an ad for the car starring Gordy and chipped in for a billboard in Times Square and other market-ing support, Forbes said.

smark21
04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Nominations are starting to come out for this Broadway season. Motown the Musical earned two—Best Actress and Best Supporting actor.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/177151-Outer-Critics-Circle-Nominees-Announced-Pippin-Earns-11-Nominations

alexgarret
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Thank you for this - I love the broadway season awards - Yea for Valisia and Raymond [[what a fire ball). Tony noms come out next Tuesday. I don't see how they can ignore MtM with the success it has had [[5th highest grossing from last week). They will want to feature it on the Tonys on June 9th. Valisia has gotten solid reviews except one critic said that Diana should sue for defamation of character [[0uch) but Diana has since given her blessing - so - NEXT? Going to be interesting Tuesday April 30th, which will be the day if I find out if I have tickets to that great night!

Nominations are starting to come out for this Broadway season. Motown the Musical earned two—Best Actress and Best Supporting actor.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/177151-Outer-Critics-Circle-Nominees-Announced-Pippin-Earns-11-Nominations

jobeterob
04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
I saw some statistics for last week showing the same gross as before less the opening night complimentary tickets; and the highest capacity of any show on Broadway.

jobeterob
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Historical Grosses

Week # This Week's Gross Last Week's Gross Diff $
Potential Gross Gross % Potential Average Ticket Top Ticket Seats
Sold Total
Seats Per This Week Last Week Diff %

03/17/2013 11 $1,029,883 $0 $1,029,883 $1,197,030 86.04% $97.58 $225.00 10,554 10,255 7 102.9% 0.0% 0.0%
03/24/2013 12 $1,015,331 $1,029,883 $-14,552 $1,197,030 84.82% $96.22 $225.00 10,552 10,255 7 102.9% 0.0% 102.9%
03/31/2013 13 $1,164,191 $1,015,331 $148,860 $1,354,935 85.92% $96.55 $225.00 12,058 11,640 8 103.6% 102.9% 0.7%
04/07/2013 14 $1,130,744 $1,164,191 $-33,447 $1,354,935 83.45% $93.79 $225.00 12,056 11,640 8 103.6% 103.6% 0.0%
04/14/2013 15 $959,091 $1,130,744 $-171,653 $1,187,430 80.77% $79.51 $225.00 12,063 11,640 8 103.6% 103.6% 0.0%
04/21/2013 16 $1,151,759 $959,091 $192,668 $1,417,100 81.28% $94.97 $225.00 12,127 12,056 8 100.6% 103.6% -3.0%
Week # This Week Gross Last Week Gross Diff $ Potential Gross Gross % of Potential Average Ticket Top Ticket Seats
Sold Total
Seats Per This Week % Last Week % Diff %
TOTAL FOR YEAR $6,450,999 N/A N/A N/A 83.71%
AVG. $93.10
AVG. $225.00
AVG. 69,410 67,486 46 102.87%
AVG. N/A N/A

supremester
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm shocked "Berry" didn't get a nod, and even more shocked Constantine didn't or jekyll & Hyde - he totally blew us away last week. I'm happy for these two - I talked with Valisia and told her that, as a glassey-eyed Supremes/Rosser of the highest order, that I approved and appreciated her portrayal. It's not easy to play Ross - and she doesn't embody her at all, but she gets the gist of her without mimicry or parody - not easy considering the script and direction. She was very, very nice and thrilled to be accepted by Ross' fans as she knew there is an.....um..... avidnosity to some.....

order

Methuselah2
04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Re: Nominations--

Is all the nominations info posted here so far in regard to M the M for awards other than the Tonys? That would seem to be the case as I've read that the Tony noms. are to be announced April 30.

revvy
04-27-2013, 11:31 PM

I'm sure this photo brings closure to a lot of people...including me. I'm sure Florence is smiling, too! If only Cindy were well enough to travel and to have a pic of the three of them together, my final Supremes dream would come true. Thank you Diana and Mary for coming together and for giving us fans this great shot that we can treasure forever.

milven
04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Tony Nominations will be announced this week. Today, the Drama Desk Award Nominations were announced and Motown The Musical was completely shut out. Not even one nomination. The Drama Desk Awards, which are presented annually, honor outstanding achievement by professional theatre artists on Broadway, Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway. They are voted on and bestowed by theatre critics, journalists, editors and publishers covering theatre "without any vested interest in the results.”

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/177397-Nominations-Announced-for-58th-Annual-Drama-Desk-Awards-Giant-and-Hands-on-a-Hardbody-Lead-the-Pack

alexgarret
04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
So I take it this is the old hag you refer to on the Beyonce thread? Are you being treated for your bipolar disorder?

milven
05-01-2013, 12:10 AM

So I take it this is the old hag you refer to on the Beyonce thread? Are you being treated for your bipolar disorder?

will she be such a washed up diva hag that all of her contemporaries still hate her guts? hmmmmm......

I guess if Diana stands next to Mary, Marv changes his opinion of her from washed up diva hag to looking pretty good

jobeterob
05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Log InRegister NowHome PageToday's PaperVideoMost PopularU.S. EditionGlobal Edition
中文网 [[Chinese)

Search All NYTimes.com
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Arts
WorldU.S.N.Y. / RegionBusinessTechnologyScienceHealthSportsOpinion ArtsStyleTravelJobsReal EstateAutosArt & DesignBooksDanceMoviesMusicTelevisionTheaterVideo Games
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 29, 2013, 4:41 pm 5 Comments
‘Motown: The Musical’ Surges at Box Office Ahead of Tony Nominations
By PATRICK HEALY

Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

A scene from “Motown: The Musical.”
As Broadway producers and performers gird themselves for the 2013 Tony Award nominations on Tuesday morning, several shows are already fortified by strong ticket sales — so much so that Tony nominations may not make much of a difference.

Case in point: “Motown: The Musical” is the biggest box office hit among the new productions of the 2012-13 season, grossing $1,213,611 last week — better than any other musical except the blockbusters “The Lion King,” “Wicked” and “The Book of Mormon.” This success comes even though “Motown” has received mixed to negative reviews. It seems likely that fans of Diana Ross, the Jackson 5, Smokey Robinson and Marvin Gaye will keep buying tickets to hear the show’s classic Motown songs regardless of whether it racks up many Tony nominations.

Among Broadway plays, the top two at the box office last week — “Lucky Guy” [[$1,384,178) and “I’ll Eat You Last” [[$646,102) — will probably continue to sell strongly thanks to audience interest in their stars, Tom Hanks and Bette Midler. While both actors have a good chance of being nominated on Tuesday, no one thinks ticket sales will decline if, say, Ms. Midler is crowded out by the very large field for the five best actress nominations.

The two likely front-runners for the best musical Tony, “Matilda” and “Kinky Boots,” were also in strong shape last week: “Kinky Boots” had its highest gross since performances began in March, taking in $1,112,163, and “Matilda” was not far behind with $1,107,815.

Other shows may benefit from Tony Awards recognition. The one-woman play “Ann,” starring Holland Taylor as former Texas Gov. Ann Richards, grossed a middling 24 percent of its maximum possible amount last week, while “The Testament of Mary,” starring Fiona Shaw as the mother of Christ, grossed about 27 percent of the maximum possible. Each actress drew praise from critics, and both are seen as contenders for a Tony nomination.

One musical that could use some help, but won’t be receiving any from the Tony Awards, is “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.” Its producers are a long way from recouping the show’s record-setting cost of $75 million, and last week’s gross of $1,033,279 was one of its lowest yet. The musical’s weekly running expenses are between $1.1 million and $1.2 million. “Spider-Man” opened in 2011 and was eligible for Tony nominations for the 2011-12 season; it received two, for costumes and sets, but won neither.

Over all, Broadway musicals and plays grossed $24.6 million last week, compared with $24.7 million the previous week and $26.1 million for the comparable week last season.

The Tony Award nominations will be announced on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.; check back here for updates and analysis throughout the morning.

An earlier version of this post misstated last week’s gross for “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” because of incorrect information supplied by the Broadway League. It was $1,033,279, not $1,003,279.

jobeterob
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
BY MARIANNE GARVEY AND BRIAN NIEMIETZ
Published: Monday, April 15, 2013, 9:08 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 2:00 AM

Charles Sykes/Invision/AP
Berry Gordy was reminded of an off-note night during ‘Motown: The Musical.’
Related Stories
Music takes center stage as legendary Motown comes to life on Broadway

There ain’t no mountain high enough that could top the star-studded turnout for Sunday night’s opening of “Motown: The Musical.”

Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and Mary Wilson attended the show’s much-anticipated premiere at Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, then joined the cast onstage for a roaring ovation after the curtain fell.

When we caught up with Motown mastermind Gordy at Roseland Ballroom, he was man enough to talk about a scene in the play where he wasn’t … man enough.

At one point in the show, after Gordy tells Robinson he’s going to spend a night in Paris with Ross and “knock it out of the ball park,” Ross is seen comforting Gordy in bed, when he apparently failed to step up to the plate.

“No, I dreamed that it happened. That was so embarrassing,” Gordy said elusively, when asked about the scene’s historical accuracy.

Ross, standing by Gordy’s side, interjected with a clever grin, “Yes, it did.”

Gordy looked us in the eye and conceded, “Yes, it happened.”

But Gordy and Ross did go on to produce countless hits together, and in 1971 they produced a daughter, Rhonda Ross Kendrick.

There was also a little Ross-related drama at the post-show curtain call earlier in the evening. While singer Wilson was standing next to Gordy, she apparently declined to acknowledge the fellow former Supreme, Ross, who was standing right behind her. Gordy then reached back and took Ross’ hand and danced the Detroit Bop with her while the band played “Dancing in the Streets.”

Wilson told us later that despite her notoriously frosty history with Ross, she and the Diva are on good terms now.

“We talked,” Wilson assured Confidenti@l, adding that the play might help people understand Motown’s overall dynamic. “I’m glad that people can see what we were — a family. Life has been good to me.”

Emilio Sosa, the show’s costume designer, who also outfitted some of the actual Motown legends in attendance, was thrilled that legendary singer Martha Reeves tweeted to him: “I loved how you dressed me.”

Also in attendance for the “Motown: the Musical” opening were David Geffen, Clive Davis, the Commodores, Star Jones, Gayle King, Evander Holyfield, Jane Fonda, Glenn Close, Valerie Simpson, Spike Lee, Suzanne de Passe and Bono, who bopped his head and snapped his fingers throughout the entire play.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/motown-gordy-recalls-flop-love-article-1.1317706#ixzz2S3yTPCfT

Penny
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
BY MARIANNE GARVEY AND BRIAN NIEMIETZ
Published: Monday, April 15, 2013, 9:08 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 2:00 AM

Charles Sykes/Invision/AP
Berry Gordy was reminded of an off-note night during ‘Motown: The Musical.’
Related Stories
Music takes center stage as legendary Motown comes to life on Broadway

There ain’t no mountain high enough that could top the star-studded turnout for Sunday night’s opening of “Motown: The Musical.”

Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and Mary Wilson attended the show’s much-anticipated premiere at Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, then joined the cast onstage for a roaring ovation after the curtain fell.

When we caught up with Motown mastermind Gordy at Roseland Ballroom, he was man enough to talk about a scene in the play where he wasn’t … man enough.

At one point in the show, after Gordy tells Robinson he’s going to spend a night in Paris with Ross and “knock it out of the ball park,” Ross is seen comforting Gordy in bed, when he apparently failed to step up to the plate.

“No, I dreamed that it happened. That was so embarrassing,” Gordy said elusively, when asked about the scene’s historical accuracy.

Ross, standing by Gordy’s side, interjected with a clever grin, “Yes, it did.”

Gordy looked us in the eye and conceded, “Yes, it happened.”

But Gordy and Ross did go on to produce countless hits together, and in 1971 they produced a daughter, Rhonda Ross Kendrick.

There was also a little Ross-related drama at the post-show curtain call earlier in the evening. While singer Wilson was standing next to Gordy, she apparently declined to acknowledge the fellow former Supreme, Ross, who was standing right behind her. Gordy then reached back and took Ross’ hand and danced the Detroit Bop with her while the band played “Dancing in the Streets.”

Wilson told us later that despite her notoriously frosty history with Ross, she and the Diva are on good terms now.

“We talked,” Wilson assured Confidenti@l, adding that the play might help people understand Motown’s overall dynamic. “I’m glad that people can see what we were — a family. Life has been good to me.”

Emilio Sosa, the show’s costume designer, who also outfitted some of the actual Motown legends in attendance, was thrilled that legendary singer Martha Reeves tweeted to him: “I loved how you dressed me.”

Also in attendance for the “Motown: the Musical” opening were David Geffen, Clive Davis, the Commodores, Star Jones, Gayle King, Evander Holyfield, Jane Fonda, Glenn Close, Valerie Simpson, Spike Lee, Suzanne de Passe and Bono, who bopped his head and snapped his fingers throughout the entire play.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/motown-gordy-recalls-flop-love-article-1.1317706#ixzz2S3yTPCfT

Mary gave Diana a hand kiss onstage so how can that be an ignore after all. Or maybe, as some said, that picture was Mary slapping Diana. LOL People always look for trouble when there really wasn't any. It was a good Motown Night and Diana and Mary did just fine. Berry was in seventh heaven having everyone there and the play so well done.

Penny;)

Roberta75
05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
"Emilio Sosa, the show’s costume designer, who also outfitted some of the actual Motown legends in attendance, was thrilled that legendary singer Martha Reeves tweeted to him: “I loved how you dressed me.”

Thats because the First Lady of Motown records Dr Martha Reeves is pure class and a true lady who care for everyone.

I love Martha Reeves so much.

Roberta

TheMotownManiac
05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Mary gave Diana the hand kiss then backed up, broke the hand holding of Diana and Valisia, and stood between them. Both looked "WTF???" Then, when Gladys came up, Mary went to Berry AGAIN and that's when she stood exactly in front of Diana, not moving, no longer speaking to Berry - and pretending she didn't know Ross was behind her. Everyone saw. Now its in the news. I was afraid Ross would knock her one - but that's what Mary wanted. It would have generated more press than what she got. The sexy one gots issues, baby!
Mary gave Diana a hand kiss onstage so how can that be an ignore after all. Or maybe, as some said, that picture was Mary slapping Diana. LOL People always look for trouble when there really wasn't any. It was a good Motown Night and Diana and Mary did just fine. Berry was in seventh heaven having everyone there and the play so well done.

Penny;)

thanxal
05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong could be at a press conference announcing the Supremes are getting back together and someone here would count the syllables uttered and insist that Diana was being a diva because she had one more than Mary, that Mary was bitter because of it, and that they both backgrounded Cindy. Is there any little nuance or slight movement that people here won't use to try to drag everyone back into a Supremes flame-war? Get.A.Life.