PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Marginal disc you still find you are glad you bought?

test

Kamasu_Jr
03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Marginal gets a bad rap, but it had some good releases and made the major labels take notice and there are still some titles that have not been officially reissued like the San Remo Golden Strings.

kenneth
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
The Rare Music from Detroit [[I know that's not the exact title) series was a revelation to me when it came out. I think it was 7 volumes. So many of the Motown artists I'd heard of but never heard..Hattie Littles, Brenda LaBen, rare titles by the Satintones and others. None of these had ever been available before in other than their original 45 formats and I never thought I'd ever hear them, let alone own them on a CD! I got a lot of enjoyment out of those disks.

They also had an Eddie Holland years before the fantastic Ace/Kent compilation which I played constantly. For transfers from 45, the sound wasn't bad though as I recall it would vary wildly from song to song at times, forcing you to adjust the volume or tone.

Kamasu_Jr
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Kenneth. Those Marginal releases did get a lot of through in the early days.

stopinthenameoflove
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Marginal gets a bad rap, but it had some good releases and made the major labels take notice and there are still some titles that have not been officially reissued like the San Remo Golden Strings.

Funnily enough I was playing the Marginal San Remo Anthology over the weekend. It's the one Marginal CD I still use. I remember being very excited getting those Marginal CDs back in the day, the sound was pretty good too - even if the design and packaging was a bit lacking!

I've posted here before about wanting the San Remo Strings on legitimate CD, I wonder why they haven't had the CD treatment yet?

johnny_raven
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Maybe Ace/Kent?

mysterysinger
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
And Choker Campbell?

psychedelic jacques
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
[QUOTEI've posted here before about wanting the San Remo Strings on legitimate CD, I wonder why they haven't had the CD treatment yet?[/QUOTE]

This has puzzled me too. To my mind, there are now only two remaining artists from the Motown 60s roster yet to have a definitive legitimate cd release - The San Remo Strings and The Fantastic Four. Whilst there are many others we may remain hopeful that there are enough unreased tracks to make up a full cd [[i.e. Carolyn Crawford), I cite those two on the basis that they clearly have a large enough body of work [[even without vaulted tracks), and even had minor chart hits back in the day. The only reason I can think of for there not being a cd issue [[and it's not a logical one, I know) is could it be something to do with them originally being Ric-Tic artists and the tracks are not readily available for some reason? I think this unlikely on the basis that Edwin Starr's Ric-Tic catalogue has appeared endlessly on CD, but it seems strange that the SRS and F4 have been overlooked for so long.

And, as for the original question, I never forget that the Marginal releases offered me the first opportunity to hear Martha's wonderful 'spellbound', years before the Lost And Found set. Having been used to the sped-up Marginal version, I was amazed to hear that the 'true' version was much slower by comparison.

woodward
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;152698]The Rare Music from Detroit [[I know that's not the exact title) series was a revelation to me when it came out. I think it was 7 volumes. So many of the Motown artists I'd heard of but never heard..Hattie Littles, Brenda LaBen, rare titles by the Satintones and others. None of these had ever been available before in other than their original 45 formats and I never thought I'd ever hear them, let alone own them on a CD! I got a lot of enjoyment out of those disks.

To make a small correction. There were actual 8 volumes. I have all 8 of them. If anyone wants to know the songs that were included in #8, I will be more than glad to list them here in the forum.

kenneth
03-11-2013, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;152698]The Rare Music from Detroit [[I know that's not the exact title) series was a revelation to me when it came out. I think it was 7 volumes.

To make a small correction. There were actual 8 volumes. I have all 8 of them. If anyone wants to know the songs that were included in #8, I will be more than glad to list them here in the forum.

I would like to know if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

762rob
03-12-2013, 12:11 AM
There is a Motown Fantastic Four CD from 1991 on Amazon used copy $39.00 and it also available as a downloads for $9.99

mysterysinger
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Check out this site for a list of the Marginal releases with cover pics too....
http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=254049&show=150&start=0

mysterysinger
03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
There was a feature on Marginal's Detroit [[Rare Tracks From) series in Motown Chatbusters issue 10 - October 2001.

Here is a scan of Volume 8 with track listing6337

woodward
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=woodward;152833]

I would like to know if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

There were 28 songs on the final volume #8 as follows:

While You Were Gone - The Combinations
Don Juan In Town - Versalettes
All I Want Is You - J. T. Rhythm
Lady of the Caravan - Deans
Your Picture on the Wall - Orthea Barnes
Be Prepared To Pay - Jimmy Gresham
I'm Aware Of Your Love Affair - Gino Johnson
My Sweet Baby - J. T. Rhythm
Twist Ales Style - Twisting Kings
Old Folks Twist - Twisting Kings
Request of a Fool - Downbeats
Your Baby's Back - Downbeats
Answer Me - Richard Street
Like a Nightmare - Andantes
Play It Cool, Stay In School - Brenda Holloway
Those DJ Shows - Patrice Holloway
That's a Funny Way - Andantes
Think Of The Times - Velvelettes
The Feeling Is Fine - Combinations
Put Yourself In My Place - Downbeats
Save Me From This Misery - Richard Street
Later For Your Baby - Marva Josie
Your Love's Got Me Burning Alive - Paul Petersen
I Second That Emotion - Kiki Dee
Cheating Is Telling On You - Lollipops
I Don't Know What To Do - Richard Anthony
Lucky Lucky Me [[Make No Mistake) - Marvin Gaye
Come On Home - Darnells

Unfortunately, I do not recognize some of these artists as Motown artists. There is no detailed information as to their place in history.

Kamasu_Jr
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Some of the artists were not on Motown. But the series was rare tracks from Detroit.

RossHolloway
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Was Richard Street signed to Motown as a solo artist? And is the track That's A Funny Way a true Andantes track?

Kamasu_Jr
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
No. I believe it was the VELVELETTES. I have to admit that Marginal had an impressive catalog.

kenneth
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Woodward, Thank you for posting the track listing and Mysterysinger thanks for the scan. Okay, I guess in spite of the fact that it's a bootleg I'll need this volume to complete my set! Thought I had them all at seven volumes!

woodward
03-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Woodward, Thank you for posting the track listing and Mysterysinger thanks for the scan. Okay, I guess in spite of the fact that it's a bootleg I'll need this volume to complete my set! Thought I had them all at seven volumes!

You are more than welcome. I am sorry I am not as computer literate as some people are, therefore, I had to type it out which I was more than glad to do.

I wish there would be a tutorial for the forum on how to import pictures into the postings. That is a great challenge for me. I have not the foggiest notion how to proceed to do this. Sorry.

mysterysinger
03-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes "That's A Funny Way" is The Velvelettes. According to Wikipedia regarding The Andantes "In 1964 they released a single of their own called "[[Like A) Nightmare" b/w "If You Were Mine", though none of the actual Andantes sang lead on either track [[future Marvelette Ann Bogan performed the lead vocals)". How ironic!

woodward
03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
This was a very informative and educational thread. I never realized that so many Motown artists were covered. The label covered quite a few Motown artists and had I known about them when they were released, I probably would have all of them in my collection vs. the limited number I have currently.

kenneth
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, being an obsessive collector I had to have Volume 8 and already found one on Ebay for only $16.45 with free shipping. Here's a link if anyone else is interested. The seller seems to have multiple copies available and many other of the Marginal and other bootleg releases.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4634.m570.l1313&_nkw=rare+tracks+from+detroit&_sacat=0&_from=R40

kenneth
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
When I browsed the Ebay listings, I also remembered I had the Contours' CD on Marginal, which included some material we still haven't seen anywhere else on CD. It also had several "bonus tracks" which sounded like they were lifted from a more recent Contours reunion, likely after they gained popularity again after "Do You Love Me" was used in the film "Dirty Dancing."

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4634.m570.l1313&_nkw=rare+tracks+from+detroit&_sacat=0&_from=R40

mysterysinger
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM
A scan of The Contours "Do You Love Me" CD track list. The bonus tracks are mostly Ian Levine productions, apart from "Move, Mr Man" which seems original but then I'm not sure why that would make it a bonus track for such a CD. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Don't forget to look here too - http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_...ow=150&start=0

thommg
03-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm actually glad I bought their Barbara McNair cd because I could never find the Ultimate Motown Collection. If I wanted to pay over $75 for it I could own it but I'm happy with the Marginal cd until I find it at a reasonable price.

mysterysinger
03-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah that is another consideration. Frustrating to say the least. In a way, Marginal was ahead of its time but, at least the CDs can be bought for reasonable prices these days [[less than half what they used to cost).

kenneth
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=mysterysinger;153034]A scan of The Contours "Do You Love Me" CD track list. The bonus tracks are mostly Ian Levine productions, apart from "Move, Mr Man" which seems original but then I'm not sure why that would make it a bonus track for such a CD. Maybe I'm wrong on that.QUOTE]

No, you're correct. "Move Mr. Man" is the original recording. I guess it was just a sign of Marginal's attention to detail that it was included with the Bonus Tracks. I didn't know the other bonus tracks were Levine productions, but I knew they were fairly recent at the time [[and pretty generic sounding as I recall though the voices were in good form).