PDA

View Full Version : the RADIO version of "what's GOING ON"!!

test

dvus7
03-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I was listening to repeat of "American's top 40"the 70's and "What's going on" was on the raise...This must have been the radio version released. Cause I have never heard this version...Can somebody please fill me in...Thank you..

soulster
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I was listening to repeat of "American's top 40"the 70's and "What's going on" was on the raise...This must have been the radio version released. Cause I have never heard this version...Can somebody please fill me in...Thank you..

You must mean the mono 45 single version. Yeah, that's the one that sold, was played on the radio, and went to the top of the charts in 1971.

It's on several different CDs. The first time it was issued on CD was in the early 90s on the first Hitsville box. It's the version I remember and prefer. It has a false ending that fades and then comes back up for a few seconds. It was Marvin's way if giving the finger to Berry Gordy and Motown.

Here is the mono single you heard: WGO [[faded in middle to discourage downloading) [[http://ppl.ug/Mc2leMG1Izs/)

There is also a stereo mix of this 45 version, as well as a stereo album mix. All of them have been reissued on CD.

I like it because the congas are prominent, it used different vocals, the ones Marvin originally wanted. In fact, Harry Weinger produced the deluxe edition and the 40 year anniversary edition that have the original "Detroit" mix of the whole album that is very different from the one you know. It's the one Marvin originally wanted released.

dvus7
03-10-2013, 04:29 PM
OK!!!! so what site has the "mono" version of this????

dvus7
03-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I found it...But what I don't understand is why this version was not on the album!!!

soulster
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
OK!!!! so what site has the "mono" version of this????
iTunes, 7-Digital...all of them.

The Complete Motown Singles Collection has it too. Those are available as downloads.

gary_james
03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Here is the 45 single version on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0xitQKNsQY

soulster
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I found it...But what I don't understand is why this version was not on the album!!!
I guess you are young. But, you have to understand how the record industry was prior to the mid-70s.

Before the late 60s, all there was was mono 45s, mono and stereo LPs. Mono was also essential for radio because it eliminated phase distortion caused by uneven stereo playback. It wasn't until 1968 that record companies started issuing stereo 45s. But, many companies kept issuing mono 45s, Motown included.

By 1968, Motown albums were only issued in stereo, so there were two mixes made, mono 45 for radio and those people who did not have stereo record players, and stereo albums for everyone else. Mono mixes were done differently than the stereo album versions. That's why people seek them out today. What you got in stereo is usually not what the music sounded like on the radio or on the 45s.

There is a stereo mix of the song and album that was never issued until a few years ago that sounds different from what you are used to.

Now: why wasn't this version on the original album? You have to get the deluxe edition CD to find out exactly what happened, but it is today.

Marvin recorded and mixed the song and that's the way it was released. Motoen wanted an album immediately, so Marvin finished the album in Detroit. When he got to L.A. to hand the tapes to Motown, they were not happy with it. Marvin got worried and decided to remix it to sound more "normal", as his mixes were too weird for Motown's comfort. Well, the remixed version got released as 'the" album. Until recently, that single mix had been forgotten by the stereo purists.

soulster
03-10-2013, 04:51 PM
I didn't link a youtube vid because, frankly, youtube vids annoy me.:D

gary_james
03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't care Soulster, I posted it for Divus7.

dvus7
03-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey, Soulster...Thank you for the response!!!!It just seems like the stereo version is a alot "cleaner" and the mono version was, almost raw, form.

Doug-Morgan
03-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Soulster.....

.....were the Motown LP stereo releases "true" stereo, or were they in "compatable" stereo, which in theory could be played on either stereo or mono equipment without damage?

soulster
03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't care Soulster, I posted it for Divus7.
Dude, why are you getting snippy? You do realize that we're all here to have fun and help each other out. I made an inoffensive comment.

soulster
03-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Soulster.....

.....were the Motown LP stereo releases "true" stereo, or were they in "compatable" stereo, which in theory could be played on either stereo or mono equipment without damage? They were true stereo.

You could play a mono album on a stereo cart, or a stereo album on a mono cart without any damage.

midnightman
03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Isn't that the version that had the false fade? I know the stereo version had it too...

soulster
03-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Isn't that the version that had the false fade? I know the stereo version had it too...
No, it didn't. Only the mono mix has the false fade.

Doug-Morgan
03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Shocked the living daylights out of me the first time I played it. I didn't audition the end [[only the beginning to see where the post was) and was into a PSA when the song came back. I wonder how many jocks or board ops cut the song after the first fade?

marv2
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM

I'm listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 from a week in 1971 right now on CKWW. I will pay attention if they play it.

marv2
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Brilliant! This is the one I remember on the radio in Toledo, Detroit, Chicago and CKLW Windsor.

hwume
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Jumping in to clarify something - as far as I can see, Marvin didn't deliver the album masters to LA then remixed it because Motown didn't like it. He chose to remix it. The "Detroit Mix" also was not necessarily the album as Marvin wanted it, although to be fair it may have been at one point, and then it wasn't.

Marvin was finally in the place he wanted: having Motown needing an album from him where he was in control. The company was desperate to release the album, any album, that had the title song, as they were losing album sales the longer it took Marvin to finish it. He decided that, after completing the "Detroit Mix," that the album wasn't quite finished and, since he was in LA to shoot a film, he had the session tapes shipped to him out west. There he did some final overdubs, and asked the Motown engineer out there, Larry Miles, to mix it, rather than fly out Steve Smith, who did the "Detroit Mix." Marvin and Miles came up with a different idea etc., and we got the album we all know and love.

soulster
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I wish he had flown Steve Smith out there. There are things on the original mixed album that are excellent, like the party noise after the lead track.

Sotosound
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I wish he had flown Steve Smith out there. There are things on the original mixed album that are excellent, like the party noise after the lead track.

That's one of the things that I like regarding the Detroit Mix. The party noise also re-appears during "What's Happening Brother" and is quite effective.

Regarding the original single mix, the false fade was deleted from the UK single release. It didn't really matter, however, because the single didn't really sell in the UK.

The funny thing is that 40+ years down the road, when WGO is played on the radio there are generations of UK kids who'll sing along to it, even though they weren't born when it was first released, and even though it bombed when it was first released........ and they probably all think that it was a smash hit in the UK.

Funny what the passage of time does, eh?

dvus7
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm sitting here listening to the "mono" version of "God is love" and it's different from the album version, too!!!!LOL!!

soulster
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm sitting here listening to the "mono" version of "God is love" and it's different from the album version, too!!!!LOL!!
Wait until you hear the Detroit mix of the album. You will be shocked how different it is. Only two songs are about the same as the released version.

midnightman
03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
No, it didn't. Only the mono mix has the false fade.

Ah so it's just the mono mix. I got you.

midnightman
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Wait until you hear the Detroit mix of the album. You will be shocked how different it is. Only two songs are about the same as the released version.

I love the Detroit mix. They put the [[beginning of the) chatting at the END of the song rather than in the beginning and kept up with the chatting in portions of the album. You could hear the chatting in "What's Happening Brother" for example.

midnightman
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Jumping in to clarify something - as far as I can see, Marvin didn't deliver the album masters to LA then remixed it because Motown didn't like it. He chose to remix it. The "Detroit Mix" also was not necessarily the album as Marvin wanted it, although to be fair it may have been at one point, and then it wasn't.

Marvin was finally in the place he wanted: having Motown needing an album from him where he was in control. The company was desperate to release the album, any album, that had the title song, as they were losing album sales the longer it took Marvin to finish it. He decided that, after completing the "Detroit Mix," that the album wasn't quite finished and, since he was in LA to shoot a film, he had the session tapes shipped to him out west. There he did some final overdubs, and asked the Motown engineer out there, Larry Miles, to mix it, rather than fly out Steve Smith, who did the "Detroit Mix." Marvin and Miles came up with a different idea etc., and we got the album we all know and love.

That's really cool... yeah I figured he remixed it on his own merit, not on Motown's. Marvin was in FULL control!

dvus7
03-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Sooooo the begs the question!!!!! Why did not Motown just release the album with WGO and a bunch of filler songs??????

midnightman
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Sooooo the begs the question!!!!! Why did not Motown just release the album with WGO and a bunch of filler songs??????

Because Motown didn't control the product. Remember, they didn't even wanna release "What's Going On" as a single. Plus Marvin was at that position where he wasn't listening to folks anymore when it came to coming to the studio. Remember, this was the beginning of the end of the Motown sound.

hwume
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Because Motown didn't control the product. Remember, they didn't even wanna release "What's Going On" as a single. Plus Marvin was at that position where he wasn't listening to folks anymore when it came to coming to the studio. Remember, this was the beginning of the end of the Motown sound.

Right. It was also a challenge: Motown needed the album, Marvin told Mr. Gordy he had it ready, Gordy said here is your deadline, go. Like most creative endeavors, they moved forward on faith that Marvin would come through - he liked the challenge.

Plus, at this point: what filler songs? Marvin had hardly recorded for more than a year. Even the single's B-side was a scrap of an older track with new lyrics.

Wonder what would have happened had Marvin missed the deadline.

soulster
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
It was the 70s when many artists were gaining control over their product, and companies didn't have so much leverage. Artists were using outside studios and producers, and picking their own material and musicians.

dvus7
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Exactly my point..CAsue he did not have the album completed....At least that was my understanding!!!

midnightman
03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Exactly my point..CAsue he did not have the album completed....At least that was my understanding!!!

Maybe in 1968 lol not 1971. The only reason Motown even got In Our Lifetime was one of Marvin's musicians sent the master tape to them because Marvin wouldn't let go of it.

midnightman
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Right. It was also a challenge: Motown needed the album, Marvin told Mr. Gordy he had it ready, Gordy said here is your deadline, go. Like most creative endeavors, they moved forward on faith that Marvin would come through - he liked the challenge.

Plus, at this point: what filler songs? Marvin had hardly recorded for more than a year. Even the single's B-side was a scrap of an older track with new lyrics.

Marvin could've left Motown at that point and send the album to another company. I think his contract was up by 1971. I'm not sure though.

soulster
03-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Marvin could've left Motown at that point and send the album to another company. I think his contract was up by 1971. I'm not sure though.
Well, maybe not. If he recorded the album while under contract at Motown, then left, that album would be the property of Motown.

midnightman
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Well, maybe not. If he recorded the album while under contract at Motown, then left, that album would be the property of Motown.

Hmm... good point.