PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary: Singles Collection 1964-1972

test

captainjames
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
This would be another got to have it collection
However I can't seem to find the Track listing.

carole cucumber
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
https://twitter.com/umgselect

It looks like we'll know next week.

thanxal
03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
So I usually like to buy all the sets that come in a collection and I plan to buy the Martha and the Vandellas set and this Four Tops set.

But can anyone give me a good reason to buy the Supremes 50th Ann. or the Temptations 50th Ann. sets? [[e.g. unreleased versions, better mixes, etc. I have all of the individual tracks on other CDs or LPs)

I have multiples of everything Supremes on LP, Cassette, CD, Digital and even 8 Track. Same with the Tempts. I'm really just looking for a good reason to lay out the cash since each set is $50 and I'm not a Wall St. banker with DC connections.

thisoldheart
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
well, all four will make a nice set, and it is nice hearing the a & b sides next to each other in chronological order. nice booklets too! spendy but worth it ...

jobeterob
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
One reason to buy them is the booklet that goes with the package. Also, it conveniently puts together the A sides and the B sides. The Supremes has the Italian 45s and the interview. Nothing new recording wise. But this is the infamous package that says the Andantes got the released version of the Stop in the Name of Love single.

I think they are worth buying for all the groups; and they help fund the Deluxe Editions.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't like the Four tops and the Vandellas 50th anniversary album covers....compared to the Supremes and the temptations they look cheap
I still am going to buy the albums though.

thanxal
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Did I read correctly that the Supremes set is mostly in Mono?

thisoldheart
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't like the Four tops and the Vandellas 50th anniversary album covers....compared to the Supremes and the temptations they look cheap
... especially martha & the vandellas. why not a color pic, like the rest of the series?

Ngroove
03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
So I usually like to buy all the sets that come in a collection and I plan to buy the Martha and the Vandellas set and this Four Tops set.

But can anyone give me a good reason to buy the Supremes 50th Ann. or the Temptations 50th Ann. sets? [[e.g. unreleased versions, better mixes, etc. I have all of the individual tracks on other CDs or LPs)

I have multiples of everything Supremes on LP, Cassette, CD, Digital and even 8 Track. Same with the Tempts. I'm really just looking for a good reason to lay out the cash since each set is $50 and I'm not a Wall St. banker with DC connections.

...Early singles [[ I Want A Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Your Heart Belongs To Me, ect) is pretty rare?

Seriously, most Supremes collections assumes they started with "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes", after all..

Hmmm....really thinking about one of the Supremes singles collection myself. Wonder whose "50th anniversary" collection is coming up next....Junior Walker & the All-Stars, later this year? Brenda Holloway? [[a stretch, since she only released so few singles between 1964 to 1967, neither any of them a top ten pop hit, but they were all good ones, and a good voice:D)

Jimi LaLumia
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Marvelettes....

thanxal
03-07-2013, 06:59 PM
...Early singles [[ I Want A Guy, Buttered Popcorn, Your Heart Belongs To Me, ect) is pretty rare?

Seriously, most Supremes collections assumes they started with "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes", after all..

That's true, although I already have them in mono and stereo on the "Meet" Hip-O set. But I guess another couldn't hurt [[although I have all of them on 45rpm, except the fully titled "Breathtaking Guy"...I'd kill for that).

johnjeb
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM

They will probably look better than the reproductions we have seen so far.

I recall The Supremes artwork not receiving favorable comments initially.

I think the colors of blue and pink for these new sets are too similar to that of The Supremes and Temptations sets.

I hope we see similar sets from Gladys & The Pips, Smokey & The Miracles, Jr Walker & The All-Stars and The Marvelettes in the coming years. Maybe even Marvin and Stevie.

lakedistrictlad1
03-08-2013, 05:35 AM
I sold my Supremes and Temptations sets once I ran out of shelf space and realised I was just buying the COMS box sets again but as singular artists. Doesn't make any sense to me. But for the average fan I can appreciate they are lovely items to have.

The only set I shall buy is the Martha & The Vandellas. Just for disc 3. An expensive way to buy vault tracks.

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFPrrqfCQAA0qD6.jpg:large

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I sold my Supremes and Temptations sets once I ran out of shelf space and realised I was just buying the COMS box sets again but as singular artists. Doesn't make any sense to me. But for the average fan I can appreciate they are lovely items to have.

The only set I shall buy is the Martha & The Vandellas. Just for disc 3. An expensive way to buy vault tracks.

I've got the Live Wire set... but with today's advanced technology, it will have better sound quality.

calvin
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM

I must admit, I didn't buy the sets for The Supremes and The Temptations, for the same reason - I already have the Complete Motown Singles. I'm also not planning to buy The Four Tops, but I have pre-ordered the Martha & The Vandellas set for the 3rd cd. But who knows, if I like that package enough...

I really hope to see the ABC Dunhill LPs from The Four Tops on cd soon. I have "Keeper of the Castle" but would buy it again if it is remastered. Is that the only one that has appeared on cd?

George Solomon
03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
It's true, many of the biggest fans have the music. And if you collected TCMS you have the original single mixes of the A and B sides. I think for the collector these are beautiful packages. It's a bit like buying a coffee table book of the artist. These are produced as loving tributes to the artist and we try to use the rarest single sleeves we can find. Certainly in the case of The Supremes & Martha packages there have never been so many beautiful picture sleeves assembled with many reproduced full size. Martha's set has the added bonus of having the great unreleased songs and they sound fantastic in stereo. Martha deserves a box set of this caliber and I hope her many fans love it as much as I do!

Kamasu_Jr
03-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I agree. I bought the Supremes and Temptations collections just for the graphics and there was a mix of something on the Tempts' set that I had not heard. I don't play them all of the time but they are nice to have.

carole cucumber
03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Now up at:
http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=52DC39F5-87B7-4860-ABB2-3DFF42C79129

RossHolloway
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
With the track listing on disc one tracks 18 & 19 are the same. Is one an alternate version?

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-17-2013, 03:14 AM
The track listing on hip-oselect.com is missing "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" [[the B-side of "River Deep-Mountain High"). I hope it's not missing on the actual CD...

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-22-2013, 12:37 AM
amazon.com has preview clips up now! [[and to answer my own question from the prior post, it's not missing the b-side of "River Deep-Mountain High")

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1964-1972/dp/B00BXBF0T6/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363926492&sr=301-1