PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Mar 5, 9P-12M ET:The Chic Organization tribute!!

test

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Well, howdy there, Folks! Winter is ever-so-slowly passing...but passing none the less, thank Goodness!On this wintery evening, I will be paying tribute to the genuis of Nile Rodgers and the late Bernard Edwards
and their very important supporting cast including singers Norma Jean Wright, Alfa Anderson, Luci Martin, Fonzi Thornton, the late Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown and Ullanda McCullough as well as drummer Tony Thompson,
not to mention the very important Chic Strings! Sister Sledge, as we all know, was Chic's sister group, and they road equally high on the record charts. So intensely popular was Chic sound between 1977 to 1980,
many artists clamoured for that sound to become theirs...Diana Ross, Carly Simon, Germany's Sheila and B Devotion, Deborah Harry and more. Even the middle -of-the-road balladeer Johnny Mathis recorded a Chic
produced album in the early eighties....though it was vaulted...but you'll hear some of it tonight.
And, as 2 more Motown treasures have shocking departed from us in the past few days...a small tribute to them.
So, do join me tonight for all of this and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks so much...and see you on the Radiola!
John

R. Mark Desjardins
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
John;
I was a regular dance club patron back in the day when CHIC first hit their stride and was a big fan. I became intrigued by the vast amount of production work by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards and began tracking down recordings by all the recording artists they had produced over the years. Luckily for me, a lot of their production work was done before the CD revolution, so the vinyl record versions were going very cheaply at the time.

While the Holland-Dozier-Holland team had the massive hits, Edward and Rogers worked with an amazing array of singers / musicians that reads like a who's who of rock and soul and beyond! John, I am looking forward to this editon of Nightflight and am hoping against hope that you have some previously unheard treasures up your sleeve to thrill and delight this evening!

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 01:24 PM
RIP Richard Street and Bobby Rogers. Have a great show tonight, John!

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
John;
I was a regular dance club patron back in the day when CHIC first hit their stride and was a big fan. I became intrigued by the vast amount of production work by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards and began tracking down recordings by all the recording artists they had produced over the years. Luckily for me, a lot of their production work was done before the CD revolution, so the vinyl record versions were going very cheaply at the time.

While the Holland-Dozier-Holland team had the massive hits, Edward and Rogers worked with an amazing array of singers / musicians that reads like a who's who of rock and soul and beyond! John, I am looking forward to this editon of Nightflight and am hoping against hope that you have some previously unheard treasures up your sleeve to thrill and delight this evening!

Glad you'll be listening, Mark!!

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
RIP Richard Street and Bobby Rogers. Have a great show tonight, John!

Thanks, Jim!!

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
John, looking forward to an all new state of mind, 'cause these are the good times! Niles was a great addition to the recent Disco episode of Unsung. I'm really looking forward to hearing tracks from Johnny Mathis' Chic album. I'm a big Mathis fan and I love Chic, but I'm just not sure how the two would mix. Sophistifunk tonight! See you and the gang on the Radiola. Chic was definitely chic!:cool:

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
John, looking forward to an all new state of mind, 'cause these are the good times! Niles was a great addition to the recent Disco episode of Unsung. I'm really looking forward to hearing tracks from Johnny Mathis' Chic album. I'm a big Mathis fan and I love Chic, but I'm just not sure how the two would mix. Sophistifunk tonight! See you and the gang on the Radiola. Chic was definitely chic!:cool:

Sophicsticated Soul is Chic too...see you on the Radiola, my friend!!

smark21
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
If you want to spotlight Tony Thompson’s talent on the drums, then you must play “Bang a Gong [[Get it On)” or “Some Like it Hot” by The Power Station.

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Everybody dance. Clap your hands. Clap your hands.

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Yowsah! Yowsah! Yowsah!

Glenpwood
03-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Got my Disco ball ready for tonight's Good Times... See everyone shortly!

lovechild
03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh no! I can't find my white platforms! see you on the dance floor all :)

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 10:06 PM

I gave your platform shoes to Fred to chew on. I figured you would never need them again. Oops.

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2013, 10:06 PM

I got my navy and silver Nunn Bush platforms, my Angel Flights and my favorite silk shirt! Do the Hustle!:cool:

lovechild
03-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I gave your platform shoes to Fred to chew on. I figured you would never need them again. Oops.
I thought I saw one of the shoe laces in the kitchen Jim lol

lovechild
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I got my navy and silver Nunn Bush platforms, my Angel Flights and my favorite silk shirt! Do the Hustle!:cool:
Is the the powder blue suit?

ok now Everybody Dance...

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the tributes to Richard Street and Bobby Rogers, John. Richard Street also co-wrote The Contours' "Can You Do It?" I never did figure out if I could do it.

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
....in the studio....and sad with all these losses.....

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Bobby Roger's really tore up on the Mickey's Monkey dance routine on Ready Steady Go! [["Sounds of Motown" VHS).

Glenpwood
03-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Beautiful tribute John....

p.S. Did you let Clive Davis know your playing his song.....;)

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Love the story behind the song. Everybody Dance is my favorite Chic song.

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks Glen....and Huh?

sophisticated_soul
03-05-2013, 10:28 PM

This Door Swings Both Ways by Herman's Hermits?

JimBagley
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Super Chicken?

Glenpwood
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks Glen....and Huh?

Bad joke about the revelation at the end of Clives new memoir since you were playing I'm Coming Out...... Interesting book but you come away thinking all our fave divas only made it because they listened to him and only failed when they didn't.....

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Bad joke about the revelation at the end of Clives new memoir since you were playing I'm Coming Out...... Interesting book but you come away thinking all our fave divas only made it because they listened to him and only failed when they didn't.....

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I get it!!!!

texassoul
03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Howdy John! Howz ya tonight? Just locked on. Have a fantastic show.

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Howdy John! Howz ya tonight? Just locked on. Have a fantastic show.

Mike....hello....glad you could join the party!!!!! Thanks!!

Glenpwood
03-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Well Backfired is no Rapture but interesting nonetheless.....

texassoul
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Who's doing this show?

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Who's doing this show?

..........Huh?

midnight johnny
03-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Who's doing this show?

................me.....

texassoul
03-06-2013, 12:00 AM
My Tune In connection shows WOMR, but I'm hearing a Brit DJ and music that obviously isn't yours! WTF?

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
My Tune In connection shows WOMR, but I'm hearing a Brit DJ and music that obviously isn't yours! WTF?

Is he interviewing Nile Rodgers? If he is...I played that earlier.....

texassoul
03-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Is he interviewing Nile Rodgers? If he is...I played that earlier.....

Nope! Probably a connection issue.

JimBagley
03-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Love "One More Time." Thanks John. Love everything on We Are Family.

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Nope! Probably a connection issue.

...........Truly!!!!

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Love "One More Time." Thanks John. Love everything on We Are Family.

You're most welcome, Jim...you are right...great album!!!

sophisticated_soul
03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Re: Johnny and Chic - The track is cooking but Johnny's voice is mixed down too far. You can't hear the personality of his voice. Too much Chic and not enough Johnny. Which I believe was Motown's concern when they rejected Chic's original mix of "diana" around the same time. And I do prefer overall the Chic mixes of "diana".

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Re: Johnny and Chic - The track is cooking but Johnny's voice is mixed down too far. You can't hear the personality of his voice. Too much Chic and not enough Johnny. Which I believe was Motown's concern when they rejected Chic's original mix of "Diana" around the same time. And I do prefer overall the Chic mixes of "Diana".

You are correct, Sir!

texassoul
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Love Johnny Mathis' "Simple". No idea who produced or arranged it.

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Folks....thanks for a tres Chic evening!!! Join me for Jerry Plunk of Invictus/Hot Wax's Flaming Ember...and an Invictus/Hot Wax tribute!!! Have a great week.....thanks so much!!!

sophisticated_soul
03-06-2013, 12:49 AM
The track on this Carly Simon song is smokin'!:cool:

Glenpwood
03-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Love Johnny Mathis' "Simple". No idea who produced or arranged it.

Denny Diante, more interestingly Simple was written by Keith Stegall who would go on to become one of the biggest producers of the nineties country boom, mostly via his work with Alan Jackson. Keith's biggest pop hit as a writer was Sexy Eyes for Dr. Hook.....

texassoul
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Thank you John for a very interesting show! Take care.

texassoul
03-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Denny Diante, more interestingly Simple was written by Keith Stegall who would go on to become one of the biggest producers of the nineties country boom, mostly via his work with Alan Jackson. Keith's biggest pop hit as a writer was Sexy Eyes for Dr. Hook.....

Many thanks for that info, Glen.

JimBagley
03-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks John. Have a great week everybody. Snow is coming my way.

sophisticated_soul
03-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Very Chic.:rolleyes: Thanks John, thanks all.:) See you all next time.:cool:

Bundle up Jim!

sophisticated_soul
03-06-2013, 01:15 AM

Mathis' latest album, 2010's "Let It Be Me: Mathis in Nashville" is a treat. Even I, as a long time fan, was surprised at how well the combination worked. Mathis was 75 when he recorded the album and he still sounds really good. The album received a Grammy nomination for Best Traditional Pop Vocal.

texassoul
03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Good to know! Will check it out.

R. Mark Desjardins
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
John,
As always a well balanced evening. Also, a touching tribute to Richard Street and Bobby Rogers. In fact, a "Chic-a-licious" evening!

midnight johnny
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Thank you so much, Mark!!! Much appreciated!

texassoul
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Cast your vote for Midnight Johnny's Best Remixes on my threads on the Motown & Soulful Detroit forums!