PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye Biopic

test

misty
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I'll believe this when I see it.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/jesse-l-martin-to-play-marvin-gaye-in-sexual-healing-replaces-lenny-kravitz/

midnightman
03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
LOL this is the second time they got Jesse for this biopic... I'm with you Misty!

marv2
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I remember he was original cast or mentioned as the top candidate for the role several years ago. If they don't hurry up, Jesse Martin will be to old to play Marvin Gaye who only lived to 45 years old.

marv2
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
I think Jesse was the best choice:

midnightman
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
If Marvin's family has anything to do with it - which I'm sure they are since MG III is seriously trying to defend his father's legacy [[as well as Nona and Frank and Marvin's ex Janis) - the film won't even get past pre-production.

milven
03-15-2013, 11:50 PM
There is a live production of Marvin Gaye's life based on Marvin's sister's first hand account. And Marvin's ex, Janis is trying to stop it. It is traveling the country and will be in NY and California. If you are interested in seeing it, check out if it is in your area at this link
http://theatre-ny.com/Events.php?search_text=My+Brother+Marvin

The musical genius of Marvin Gaye is indisputably documented in the annals of music history with his continual string of number one and top ten hits, unforgettable duets and larger than life persona. No doubt, from his auspicious introduction to music at an early age until his premature and untimely death at the age of 45, one fact remained undeniably true—Marvin was the voice of his generation. But, what about the man? What about the influences and people who shaped Marvin, those forces which destroyed Marvin, those who loved Marvin and the family who now carries on the legacy of Marvin? What about that story, the real story, the true story of the marvelous Marvin Gaye! The world knows his music, but they don't know the man behind the music.

In this shocking and spellbinding new version of 'My Brother Marvin', audiences will experience the most candid and revealing story of life with this musical icon that has NEVER been told. Based on the first-hand accounts of Marvin's sister Zeola Gaye, 'My Brother Marvin' pushes the envelope by revealing Marvin's internal battles, greatest fears and most salacious family secrets.

Action-packed and inspirational, 'My Brother Marvin' brilliantly unfolds on stage as it highlights not the music, but the MIND of Marvin Gaye; even revealing the heart of his mother, the only person who actually witnessed his untimely death. It was believed that she took her secrets to her grave, until the recent discovery of her hidden journals, in which she writes candidly about her husband, her family and of course her superstar son.

'Many have attempted to tell this family's story but THEY WEREN'T THERE!' Finally, Zeola Gaye isn't afraid to tell the truth about the Gaye family's saga and the people who have tried continuously to silence them. 'It's time for me to be free. I'm releasing it all—the conspiracy, the drama, the lies, the stealing, the control and even the death threats….'

Starring Emmy Award winning actress Lynn Whitfield; Image Award winning actor Clifton Powell; R&B sensation Keith Washington; vocal powerhouse Tony Grant and platinum selling R&B Group Az Yet, 'My Brother Marvin' will grip your soul as it takes you on a riveting ride through the life and times of one of the most intriguing and mysterious musical legends the world has ever known.

reese
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if the film project ever happens. Last week, S. Epatha Merkerson appeared on the Wendy Williams show, and said that she would be playing the role of Marvin's mother. When Wendy mentioned some of the project's problems, Merkerson seemed sort of tentative.

soulster
03-17-2013, 12:57 PM
One wonders why she is trying so hard to stop the movie. What's in there about her that she doesn't want revealed?

stingbeelee
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
More information on the Marvin movie; parts of the family are upset:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130327/ENT04/303270304/Family-upset-over-Marvin-Gaye-film-s-emphasis-late-singer-s-troubled-times?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

midnightman
03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
^ Interesting. I feel for the family. I'm still not too sure of the film. I keep hearing that they're saying that they're trying to make this film positive by Hollywood standards. Nona, Janis and III are mainly concerned if they're gonna show how he died and his struggling drug addiction. That's their problem [[mainly) with the film.

glencro
03-28-2013, 06:01 AM
There is a live production of Marvin Gaye's life based on Marvin's sister's first hand account. And Marvin's ex, Janis is trying to stop it. It is traveling the country and will be in NY and California. If you are interested in seeing it, check out if it is in your area at this link
http://theatre-ny.com/Events.php?search_text=My+Brother+Marvin

The musical genius of Marvin Gaye is indisputably documented in the annals of music history with his continual string of number one and top ten hits, unforgettable duets and larger than life persona. No doubt, from his auspicious introduction to music at an early age until his premature and untimely death at the age of 45, one fact remained undeniably true—Marvin was the voice of his generation. But, what about the man? What about the influences and people who shaped Marvin, those forces which destroyed Marvin, those who loved Marvin and the family who now carries on the legacy of Marvin? What about that story, the real story, the true story of the marvelous Marvin Gaye! The world knows his music, but they don't know the man behind the music.

In this shocking and spellbinding new version of 'My Brother Marvin', audiences will experience the most candid and revealing story of life with this musical icon that has NEVER been told. Based on the first-hand accounts of Marvin's sister Zeola Gaye, 'My Brother Marvin' pushes the envelope by revealing Marvin's internal battles, greatest fears and most salacious family secrets.

Action-packed and inspirational, 'My Brother Marvin' brilliantly unfolds on stage as it highlights not the music, but the MIND of Marvin Gaye; even revealing the heart of his mother, the only person who actually witnessed his untimely death. It was believed that she took her secrets to her grave, until the recent discovery of her hidden journals, in which she writes candidly about her husband, her family and of course her superstar son.

'Many have attempted to tell this family's story but THEY WEREN'T THERE!' Finally, Zeola Gaye isn't afraid to tell the truth about the Gaye family's saga and the people who have tried continuously to silence them. 'It's time for me to be free. I'm releasing it all—the conspiracy, the drama, the lies, the stealing, the control and even the death threats….'

Starring Emmy Award winning actress Lynn Whitfield; Image Award winning actor Clifton Powell; R&B sensation Keith Washington; vocal powerhouse Tony Grant and platinum selling R&B Group Az Yet, 'My Brother Marvin' will grip your soul as it takes you on a riveting ride through the life and times of one of the most intriguing and mysterious musical legends the world has ever known.

I have a few musician friends that are currently touring with this play. It was in detroit recently and did very well as far as attendance.

milven
03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
It will be at NYC's Beacon Theatre in April. I'm glad I got my tickets in advance because it looks like the limited engagement will be sold out here too.

mellow_q
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
From what I understand, most film projects about Motown artists never get off the ground because of "How can you make a movie about Motown without using Motown's music?" Since BG still probably has some say-so about the use of Jobete's catalog, nothing is going to get done that even remotely shows him/Motown in a bad light. David Ruffin and to a lesser extent Eddie Kendricks were the "villians" in The Temptations mini-series, and Joe Jackson was the bad guy in the Jackson Five miniseries.
By focusing on Marvin Gaye's post-Motown life, the producers are able to circumvent having to get any of Gaye's music from that time, and are able to pull it off because Gaye had such a huge post-Motown hit, "Sexual Healing."
If Marvin III has a problem with this, pick up the phone, call your uncle, ask him to get up off of Marvin's Motown music, and produce your own film.

midnightman
03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
^ I don't think III has much contact with the Gordy side of his family, only his siblings, wife, children and Janis.

Marvin didn't just record "Sexual Healing", there were like seven other tracks on that album lol