PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves and The Vandellas Complete Singles

test

cheekylincs
03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Any news of the complete track listing for Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Complete Singles yet - it's less than a month away but still no sign!!

cheekylincs
03-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Just found this!!

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/hmv/5302508.html

kenneth
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Interesting find...but where's the third "lost and found" disc???

cheekylincs
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Interesting find...but where's the third "lost and found" disc???

I think they forgot about that one but there is a thread on Soulful Detroit that gives us a clue as to what is on the third disc - see 'Thank You Harry [[Preview of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas) partial' thread on page 2

kenneth
03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I think they forgot about that one but there is a thread on Soulful Detroit that gives us a clue as to what is on the third disc - see 'Thank You Harry [[Preview of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas) partial' thread on page 2

Well, keep your sharp eye peeled for the complete list. Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. I know it will be a great set. I've ordered mine already from ImportCDs which has it for $39.99, the best price I found so far thanks to someone else on this forum. Thanks again!

carole cucumber
03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I just revisited the site and utilized a translator.
The write-up says that cd 3 has 27 bonus tracks. Obviously we'll be receiving more unreleased tracks than originally hinted at by Harry Weinger. To paraphrase, Harry & team's love of Martha & the Vandellas will make it all worthwhile.

kenneth
03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Good job, Carole! Sounds like a great release.

I'm still hoping for that Copa concert to get released sometime. I imagine we'll see it sooner or later. Hip-O always has great plans for its future releases.

Kamasu_Jr
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
I've not seen any good sale prices on this. Deep Discount has it at around $52.00.

no_place_like_motown
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
I've not seen any good sale prices on this. Deep Discount has it at around $52.00.

Import CDs always has good pre-order prices; they have the lowest price I've seen:

http://www.importcds.com/music/2556778/martha-reeves-the-vandellas-50th-anniversary-singles-collection-1964-72

lakedistrictlad1
03-13-2013, 06:01 AM
It's only 3 weeks until release day and STILL no track listing? Come on guys....let's have a track list please!

cheekylincs
03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
It's only 3 weeks until release day and STILL no track listing? Come on guys....let's have a track list please!

Not sure what the problem is releasing the track listing - as you say it's only supposed to be three weeks away so surely it's not going to change now unless the release date is going to be put back which I think will be doubtful! I would have thought if the scheduled release date is still the same they would be ready to go to print as such and all the tracks and running order would have been decided weeks ago!!

cheekylincs
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM

No tracklisting yet but you may find this interesting!!

http://www.importcds.com/music/2556778/martha-reeves-the-vandellas-50th-anniversary-singles-collection-1964-72

Interesting to see there is an alternate version of I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing with Martha singing lead on the chorus rather than the version that was released with Syreeta sing lead on the chorus!!

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
A peek inside the booklet, thanks to Harry Weinger:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFPt2scCQAE5UOO.jpg

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFPqGq6CUAEGX14.jpg:large

cheekylincs
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
A peek inside the booklet, thanks to Harry Weinger:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFPt2scCQAE5UOO.jpg

Thank you so much for posting these pictures carole - so excited about this release

kenneth
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Wow "Ode to Billie Joe." That looks like a 45 pic sleeve repro, but I'd never heard the Vandellas sing that song. Maybe that's one of the vault tracks? Martha's voice would seem very well suited to that song. Anxious to hear it!

hwume
03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
"Ode To Billie [sic] Joe" is not on the 45 collection. That's a true Japanese sleeve from a collection, and I haven't actually listened to the flip side.

The set includes all Martha/Vandellas U.S. singles, plus the Spanish language cuts, then five alternates of four known songs [[also "to be revealed"), then 23 true never-before-heard tracks from the vault.

Pre-sale at Select goes up this Friday 3/15.

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Harry,

It's quite likely it's their live performance from the 1968 Tamla Motown Festival in Tokyo. It wouldn't surprise me if both the A -side 'Love Bug, Leave My Heart Alone' and the B-side, 'Ode To Billie Jo' of the single were live recordings from the festival.

TAMLA MOTOWN FESTIVAL, TOKYO 1968.
SJET-8040]LP.
SIDE #2: [[MARTHA, ROSALIND & LOIS):
NOWHERE TO RUN
LOVE BUG LEAVE MY HEART ALONE
JIMMY MACK
ODE TO BILLIE JOE
I'M READY FOR LOVE
HONEY CHILE
DANCING IN THE STREET/I CAN'T HELP MYSELF [medley]
--

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
No tracklisting yet but you may find this interesting!!

Interesting to see there is an alternate version of I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing with Martha singing lead on the chorus rather than the version that was released with Syreeta sing lead on the chorus!!

The same editorial review is now posted on Amazon.com and there is also one for the Four Tops collection as well.
There is mention of a new stereo single mix of 'Jimmy Mack' by Obie O'Brien.

kenneth
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Harry,

It's quite likely it's their live performance from the 1968 Tamla Motown Festival in Tokyo. It wouldn't surprise me if both the A -side 'Love Bug, Leave My Heart Alone' and the B-side, 'Ode To Billie Jo' of the single were live recordings from the festival.

TAMLA MOTOWN FESTIVAL, TOKYO 1968.
SJET-8040]LP.
SIDE #2: [[MARTHA, ROSALIND & LOIS):
NOWHERE TO RUN
LOVE BUG LEAVE MY HEART ALONE
JIMMY MACK
ODE TO BILLIE JOE
I'M READY FOR LOVE
HONEY CHILE
DANCING IN THE STREET/I CAN'T HELP MYSELF [medley]
--

Carole,

Was this a multi-volume series or a single LP? I'm assuming it was Japanese issue only.

Who was on Side !?

Thanks...you're a wealth of information.

Kenneth

carole cucumber
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Stevie_Wonder:Tamla-Motown_Festival,_Tokyo_'68_[[1968)

Side 1 and cover. It was a single lp. And regrettably, no, I do not have a copy .

kenneth
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Stevie_Wonder:Tamla-Motown_Festival,_Tokyo_'68_[[1968)

Side 1 and cover. It was a single lp. And regrettably, no, I do not have a copy .

Thanks! I wish we both had one!

johnny_raven
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I have a copy that I found on E-bay years ago. Stevie Wonder is on the other side. I think I sent a copy to Harry W. after Hip-O Select began. The Stevie tracks appeared on his download only STEVIE WONDER COMPLETE. I "wonder" if that's where they got it from as the download sounds like it's from an LP source.

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Now THIS is something to be truly excited about!

kenneth
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I have a copy that I found on E-bay years ago. Stevie Wonder is on the other side. I think I sent a copy to Harry W. after Hip-O Select began. The Stevie tracks appeared on his download only STEVIE WONDER COMPLETE. I "wonder" if that's where they got it from as the download sounds like it's from an LP source.

Leave it to you...I thought I had a lot but I'm convinced you must have everything Motown!

George Solomon
03-13-2013, 05:22 PM
I posted this on another thread but thought I'd repeat it here as well:

It's true, many of the biggest fans have the music. And if you collected TCMS you have the original single mixes of the A and B sides. I think for the collector these are beautiful packages. It's a bit like buying a coffee table book of the artist. These are produced as loving tributes to the artist and we try to use the rarest single sleeves we can find. Certainly in the case of The Supremes & Martha packages there have never been so many beautiful picture sleeves assembled with many reproduced full size. Martha's set has the added bonus of having the great unreleased songs and they sound fantastic in stereo. Martha deserves a box set of this caliber and I hope her many fans love it as much as I do!

hwume
03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Amazon beat us to the pre-sale info:

http://www.amazon.com/50th-Anniversary-Singles-Collection-1962-1972/dp/B00AU15IHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363209798&sr=1-1&keywords=martha+reeves+%26+the+vandellas

And George was the great mastermind behind the pic sleeves and pointing us to the unreleased songs.

jillfoster
03-13-2013, 07:08 PM
I posted this on another thread but thought I'd repeat it here as well:

It's true, many of the biggest fans have the music. And if you collected TCMS you have the original single mixes of the A and B sides. I think for the collector these are beautiful packages. It's a bit like buying a coffee table book of the artist. These are produced as loving tributes to the artist and we try to use the rarest single sleeves we can find. Certainly in the case of The Supremes & Martha packages there have never been so many beautiful picture sleeves assembled with many reproduced full size. Martha's set has the added bonus of having the great unreleased songs and they sound fantastic in stereo. Martha deserves a box set of this caliber and I hope her many fans love it as much as I do!

I bet I will, and yes, she DOES deserve it! Think about this... 23 unreleased songs, that almost the equivalent of three additional Martha albums. that, plus the packaging makes it worth it for me.

alexgarret
03-13-2013, 11:40 PM
This will be great - love me some Martha. jillfoster - are you going to post a current pic & make snide comment? Just wondering.

carole cucumber
03-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Knowing that we'll finally get to hear Deke Richards original version of 'I Can't Dance To the Music You're Playing" with Martha on the verses and chorus, I thought it might be good to refresh our memories about just how Syreeta got added .
I do apologize. I tried to copy only the parts in which Deke re-tells the story, but when I did, they came out in a very light , faint yellow print. if someone is able to go to the link I've provided and copy Deke's story in black ink, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/1748.html?1042799727#MT

calvin
03-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Carole - you can copy things like that into a text [[.txt) file first, as this removes all the formatting, then copy it from the text file into the forum.

kenneth
03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Very fascinating details in the old thread from Deke Richards. It's great we get to hear from the original producers and writers in this forum. What a story!

carole cucumber
03-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Now up at:
http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=176BF2A3-964E-442F-A429-C28DDE142856

Roberta75
03-15-2013, 01:16 PM
My goodness me it look like its all sold out at hipo-select. Well done the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves.

Roberta

thisoldheart
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
that can't be! not that martha & the vandellas don't deserve it!!! my amazon order better ship!

thisoldheart
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
... four tops sold out at hippo too. what's up?!

reese
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't think they are really sold out. This has happened before, I believe. I think it is some flaw on the site.

RossHolloway
03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
It's not sold out! Good grief people, this happens everytime a new release gets posted. Give it some time.

cheekylincs
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Looks like the release date has been put back a month on Amazon UK! I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order it from Amazon US so I get it quickly after release date!! Expensive but I'm sure it will be worth it.....I can't wait another month!! Really looking forward to hearing I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing with Martha singing the chorus. Extended Dancing In The Street.....interesting! Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things extended.....also very interesting! It will also be great to hear the original mono mix of Never Leave Your Baby's Side.... It was great in the original mix but somehow got watered down with mixes that have been released in the last few years. Well done to the Hip O Select team for giving us another great release that we can all look forward to and enjoy for many years to come

psychedelic jacques
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
It doesn't look all that 'complete' to me - it's missing 'my baby won't come back', according to the track listing [['b' side of 'i'll have to let him go'), unless this is just an omission on the website. I thought it may also have included the Vells A&B side.

Still, disc 3 looks a treat...

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
**PER CAROLE'S REQUEST, HERE'S DEKE IN HIS OWN WORDS: PART I [[OF V)**

I know it's late, but its been one of those days and this is the first chance I've had to write. I 'm sure most of you are already under the covers and even down for the count, but here's the bedtime story I promised you: "The I Can't Dance Caper".

Well, you must remember in those days we cut on 8-Track. There wasn't a lot of room for error, much less giving anyone extra tracks, including the lead vocalist. The 3 guitars were mixed to one track while you were recording live, Jamerson had his own bass track, the drums were cut on one, [[sometimes) on 2 tracks The piano on one, percussion on another. So, you see there is 6 gone right there. You had enough for the group and the lead. If you planned to sweeten the tracks, you had to either do a different mix when you recorded the original tracks or make an 8 Track to 8 Track transfer and put the perc and drums together etc., etc., to open up another track. Well, let's cut to the chase . . .

The song, "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'" was complete with Martha singing all the way through, as well as the 'saxy vocal break'. Enter . . . Quality Control. [[Now, if you don't know about BJ and QC, we'll have to go into that one another time.) I can tell you that BJ liked it from the first time she heard it. There was competition from Richard Morris, who was out to follow up "Honey Chile" with "Sweet Darlin'". I hadn't really earned my 'stripes' yet to be in a QC meeting. I remember, BJ said just before going in, "Take it easy Deke, you've got a good record and a good shot at it. We'll see." However, you could hear BJ and BG playing the acetates [[behind closed doors) in the hall, stopping and starting, comparing the 2 back and forth . Then, there was silence while they were voted on. When the door finally opened, BJ said, "OK Deke, you got it!"

Well, I just about had kittens. However, BJ wanted me to make a few changes. First she wanted the song to start right out with the chorus and then wanted me to change the melody on the chorus. 'Deke, make these changes, and you'll have a hit!" Chorus at the top? Maybe, but change the melody? I didn't really agree, but I wanted the release. Hey, BJ was the pro, a senior at Motown while I, was still a freshman. I had to go with her. After all, after BG, she was the boss when it came to making those kind of decisions. Don't get me wrong, BJ did have a certain amount of magic, and she was right on a lot of her calls. So, I had to go in the studio with my trusty 'safety razor' and edit the tape. After I did it, a few of Martha's lines got clipped where I edited the tape. Not only that. The phrasing just didn't sound natural. So I asked for studio time, to make the opening kick with a fresh OD of Martha doing the opening chorus. It was tight because Martha was leaving for a gig. I think it was in Philly. [[I'm almost sure it started with a "P" anyway.) At any rate, I also changed the melody like BJ suggested. Done!

It goes back up to BJ & QC and Oh-Oh! Uh, the response to the change was a tad cool. Meeting time, closed doors, etc. I'm waiting in the hall, pacing back and forth, like a man who's wife is getting ready to have a baby. Doors open, "Come in, Deke". Well, it seems like I had it right the first time. "Deke", pregnant pause, "change it back the way you had it." [[BJ had to admit she was wrong, which I know was not easy for her to do, especially to me, a kid who was still a bit green.) Great! No, it wasn't. What a drag, I thought. BJ wanted those first changes done so fast, there was no time to make an 8 track to 8 track transfer. I had to erase Martha's original lead vocal to redub her with the new melody BJ wanted. I didn't have an open track left. Anyway, back into the studio I go and re-edit the tape and put the pieces back where they were before I so rudely violated it. Now, I go to A&R to schedule another dub in with Martha. Wait a minute! Martha's gone to "P", wherever that was. Now, I have to go back up to A&R and tell them the problem. From there, I end up tangling with the Legal Affairs Dept. to get permission to go to "P" so I can redo her vocal back the way it was to begin with.

Now here' is the sad part of the story that no one, including Martha, knows. Legal Affairs, nixes the trip. What? Why Legal Affairs? Cost too Much? There wasn't a studio near where Martha was performing? She was going on to another gig and I wouldn't be able to catch up with her? Why couldn't I go and have Martha redub the missing pieces? This, I will never understand. On top of that, I keep being told, "there is no time". DJs and/or sales are putting on the pressure. They have to have the follow up for "Honey Chile". The record HAS to come out yesterday! NOW, what am I supposed to do? [[to be continued . . . tomorrow night)

**THERE'S MORE FROM DEKE ABOUT OTHER WORKS AT THE SITE LINK CAROLE PROVIDED.**

George Solomon
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
"My Baby Won't Come Back" IS the second track on disc one. That is an error on the Hippo site. There are 28 tracks on disc one.

supremester
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
You can't leave me hanging! I love hearing this story - especially from Deke - one of the most talented men ever to hit a studio. EVER. Bless YOU, Deke!

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
**DEKE'S STORY--PART II [[OF V):**

OK Soulkiddies, it's time for the 'Rest Of The Story'

"The I Can't Dance Caper"-Part II

BJ suggests I have the Adantes sing the chorus on the opening. "Maybe you can get one of the girls to sound like Martha [[or like the old Vandellas) in the background." Anyway, I try, but no way. I need Martha, that's it, period. It just won't work without Martha. Well, I don't know what to do. Sure, I want the release, but it's not right. To make matters worse, they won't let me go to Martha; and even if I got the OK, sales was putting on the pressure to get the record yesterday. If I wasn't a young buck, I probably would have had a heart attack.

Enter . . . Rita Wright. Rita was working in the arrangers room running sheet music to the sessions and assisting the arrangers etc., waiting for her own break. [[Remember, many stars in the Motown family, worked as secretaries and such waiting for their chance.) She had already done a few demos for Diana. One of the arrangers asks me, "Have you heard Rita sing?". Well, to be honest, I hadn't. "She's really good"! I listened to one of her demos, and she had this little edge that gets thinner and fatter when she gets up there. Could this possibly work? Maybe if I bury her just enough with the other girls . . . Maybe if I double the girls and add just one Rita? No, then it will sound too big, to overproduced, to 'Mamas & Papas-ish". So, I go over and talk to Rita and tell her the situation. "So, do you want to give it a crack?", I asked. "Keep in mind there is no glory in this Rita, you are just playing a part." It was like . . Rita was going to be the one fake brush stroke on the original painting of the Mona Lisa."

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
**DEKE'S STORY--PART III [[OF V):**

I go into the studio and we begin. I even have her sing along with one chorus I still had with Martha's voice that was clipped when I did the edit. You know, Rita really tried. I even made her change the timber of her voice in the middle of words and almost crack. But I have to tell you, only Martha can really do that. I changed EQ..while recording live. I had 3 different setups I would switch to. Believe me, no one or two could have tried harder. When I originally mixed the rough 7 1/2 ips, it did sound decent. But, I had to pull her back into the group just right. However, I think anyone would have still said, "Why did you lower Martha's voice in the chorus?" Now, here's the next cute move. I didn't mix the final record! They didn't even call me in to be at the mixing session. QC and especially BJ, knew this was a problem side. [[Note: There were only a few producers that got to mix their own product at that time: Norman Whitfield, HDH, Smokey and that's about it. Your final mixes were done without you being there.)

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
**DEKE'S STORY--PART IV [[OF V):**

So, you can see what a disaster this one was going to be. Whoever mixed it, needed to know what was going on. I remember when I heard it mixed the first time. "You better pull Rita back into the mix." I said. Who do you think you are going to fool? The fool, that's who . . . and that's all, I thought

Through all of this, my gut is doing somersaults. Here we are, emulating the great Martha, when the real Martha is still with us. Now, I don't want to make this a political forum, however . . .After all is said and done, and all the stories have been told, you have to ask yourself the following:

DO YOU REALLY THINK . . . I would want my first solo record by a major artist on Motown to be a fabrication? DO YOU REALLY THINK I wanted my first solo record to stop dead in it's tracks at the lower half of Billboards Hot 100, and have a bullet on the way down? Anyone who could have really prevented this from happening, took themselves off the hook. Someone had to take the fall. I remember seeing Martha one last time in Detroit. I went up to see BG, and she had just returned from being on the road. She was sitting there also waiting to see Berry, with tears in her eyes. She didn't even want to talk to me. I don't think she was ever told what was going down. She just heard it on the radio. Swell. What in the world did they tell her? I don't think any of us will ever know.

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
**DEKE'S STORY--PART V [[OF V, CONCLUSION):**

Since then I've heard stories, including a few mentioned in this forum. Well, Martha never mentioned anything to me about changing the lyrics because a relationship gone bad with a musician. If that was really the case, then she kept it inside, until she blurted it out later down the line to someone. Either that ,or some writer stared that junk. Oh yes, and the one about Rita having to hit the notes for Martha? Nonsense. Martha hit the notes I gave her just fine.

I met with Martha one more time after Motown in 1981. She was taking care of her mom and she came over and we spent the day together. We were both at low points in our lives. However, Martha had been "To Hell and Back". She had signed a couple of artist deals, neither of which were totally satisfying. I could tell she had definitely seen the demons. However, as much as I wanted to do something, I was really not in shape to help her, much less myself. Dearest Martha, I was crazy about you, I idolized you. Do you think I did this to you for my personal gain? Do you really think I had the authority to do this to you? Better yet, where did I, the new kid on the block, ever get the authority to do this to you? Ain't no way, baby. Never in a million years.

And then there's Rita. She was just a pawn in this deal. However, I'm sure she's had her share of embarrassing questions to answer over the years.

Now that it's history, I think we all are to blame. I could have stood up and told QC, "I'm not going to do what you want, without Martha!" Rita could have told me, "I don't want to be the one to play "Martha Reeves" on a Martha Reeves record"; and Motown could have said, "Get a hold of Martha and have her come back here so we can finish this record".

...and so we all came to the finish line together, dead last.

Goodnight to you all,

Deke

**END**

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
You can't leave me hanging! I love hearing this story - especially from Deke - one of the most talented men ever to hit a studio. EVER. Bless YOU, Deke!

It's all here now, Supremester, in the thread, in 5 parts. It was a bit difficult to copy and had to be divided up.

hwume
03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
The edited/updated version of that story is in our set. This time, though, Deke had the original session tapes to review - and, lucky for us, to mix. Whoa.

Box sets are NOT sold out. It's an ongoing glitch with product at pre-sale: since there is no stock to ship, the software sees the temporary "0" as 'sold-out.' This glitch, by the way, appears to have been sorted already. Web site now says "Pre-Sale Item!"

carole cucumber
03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2013/03/15/reach-out-singles-sets-for-four-tops-martha-the-vandellas-due-from-hip-o-select/#more-19461

Methuselah2
03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm really moved by Deke Richards' insightful piece written for SDF. Truly enlightening. And just remarkable that Deke took the time and gave the attention to ensuring such clear detail. A real thing of beauty, I'd say. And I heartfully applaud Deke for this and for his work.

Some will guess and some might even guess right but I've always felt that only the producers were the ones who could definitively answer as to who's actually on the recordings. It's quite a revelation to learn that even producers, as well--depending on who you were--could be excluded from the final mixing. What received consideration has always been ear-opening. And what didn't--eye-opening.

Kudos to UMe for including Deke's piece on their new release. Their efforts--on all of their releases, actually--is top-notch and very recognized. And, finally, greatly appreciated.

carole cucumber
03-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you, Methuselah2, for posting the 5 parts of Deke's recollections from the archive link that I posted. It is greatly appreciated.
I'm looking forward to hearing the original version of 'I Can't Dance To The Music You're Playing' with Martha's vocals intact. I hope that Harry will preview it when he is a guest on Nightflight this Tuesday.

jillfoster
03-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Fascianting story. I have to say, I NEVER thought Syreeta's part in that song was Martha. When I was young, and heard it, it was obviously not Martha singing that chorus... I just thought it was Lois. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that it was Syreeta, becuase I hadn't been exposed to her much. But I didn't think someone was trying to fool anyone the first time I heard it, because to me.. it was obvious it wasn't Martha. And in my mind, the concept of Martha's sister getting a little solo part seemed like a reasonable explanation to me.

carole cucumber
03-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Just a couple of questions for Harry Weinger:
1) My memory may be faulty on this one- I remember that when 'SOS Girl In Distress' was issued by Marv Johnson on "A Cellarful of Motown Vol 3", there was a reference made on one of the forums about the fact that Martha Reeves had also recorded a song by that title. I seem to recall that mention was made of some difference[[s) between the two songs- and it might have possibly been a noticeably different set of lyrics or different melody or even both. Or I am confusing these possible facts with some other song?

2) Track #22 on the Lost & Found... Is this the same song [[although titled 'She's Good) sung by Jermaine Jackson and written and produced by the Corporation on the "Maybe Tomorrow" album, now being given a female perspective by Martha? It's late placement in the line-up leads me to think that might be the case. I don't think it's 'He's Good To Me', which appeared on Chris Clark's Motown Collection , although the session info states that it was cut for the Vandellas and its sound would have been ideal for Martha following 'Honey Chile'.
Or is it a track which bears no similarity to either 'She's Good' or 'He's Good to Me'?

144man
03-17-2013, 05:00 PM
...I thought it may also have included the Vells A&B side...

Martha's unreleased solo Gordy single isn't included either, which is a bit strange as all four tracks were on "Live Wire! The Singles: 1962-1972". As they're not strictly M&V tracks, maybe they were omitted for reasons of space.

westgrandboulevard
03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
carole.....

Yes, I completely agree that Chris Clark's "He's Good For Me" would have been ideal for Martha, but am I right in thinking that Martha was given the same basic rhythm track to use on "I Tried"...?

midnight johnny
03-18-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing the original version of 'I Can't Dance To The Music You're Playing' with Martha's vocals intact. I hope that Harry will preview it when he is a guest on Nightflight this Tuesday.

No doubt, Carole...thy will be done....

carole cucumber
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Thank you, Harry & Johnny.

Jimi LaLumia
03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
what,and when, was Martha's unreleased solo Motown single?..I never heard about that..

carole cucumber
03-18-2013, 09:18 AM
144 man lists the source in post # 55. The song titles are 'I Won't Be The Fool I've Been Again' and 'Baby [[Don't You Leave Me') both scheduled for Gordy 7127 but unreleased until the 1993 collection that helped to usher in the Motown Master Series spearheaded by Cary Mansfield.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Wire-Martha-Reeves-Vandellas/dp/B000001AKE/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363612634&sr=1-6&keywords=martha+reeves+and+the+vandellas

reese
03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
what,and when, was Martha's unreleased solo Motown single?..I never heard about that..

I WON'T BE THE FOOL I'VE BEEN AGAIN b/w BABY [[DON'T YOU LEAVE ME). I think it would have come out sometime in 72/73. It was given a catalog number, but went unreleased until it appeared on the LIVE WIRE! set in 1993.

hwume
03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
As this was a Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Motown collection, I used only their releases, so no Vells, no leads with Gloria, no scheduled singles that were specifically solo Martha [[even though there are some MR&TV singles with no Vandellas).

I'll tell some good stories tomorrow night and answer all questions. For now, "He's Good" is a J5 cover, recorded at the same session as "I Want You Back," and produced by the Corporation. Deke Richards also mixed the cut for this release, as well as seven other tracks in the collection. BTW He is credited for six, not eight, total, as he - trouper that he is - ended up mixing up two more tunes after the book was at the printers. [[The track list was "locked" and the session to mix the last two songs - not produced by Deke or the Corporation - had to be cancelled, so DR stepped in, bless him.)

And then there's the whole "I Can't Dance..." story, wow.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-22-2013, 12:34 AM
amazon.com has preview clips up now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXBI2E6/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1363926093&sr=8-2

jillfoster
03-22-2013, 01:33 AM
amazon.com has preview clips up now!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXBI2E6/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1363926093&sr=8-2

DAMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I can't wait for this. That clip of "Light My Fire" has me foaming at the mouth!!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
03-22-2013, 03:56 AM
DAMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I can't wait for this. That clip of "Light My Fire" has me foaming at the mouth!!That was one of my favorite clips too! Before I heard the clip, I was imagining it would be some slow ballad version, but it ended up being the opposite. :D

lakedistrictlad1
03-22-2013, 05:33 AM
I couldn't resist listening to the soundbites on Amazon.

Let me say I am OVERWHELMED at the quality of disc 3. Who would believe there was so much left over after their 'Lost & Found' set?

I first got hooked on Motown music back in 1980. I would never have believed back then that fast forward to 2013 and I would be listening to so much 'new' Motown music. It's unbelievable this music has stayed in the vaults for so long.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS SET!!! Woohooo.

jillfoster
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
That was one of my favorite clips too! Before I heard the clip, I was imagining it would be some slow ballad version, but it ended up being the opposite. :D

It sounds like it might be an outtake from "Natural Resources", good, midtempo version! "We Will" also sounds like a real gem. I agree with the sentiments above at being overwhelmed with the quality of this stuff. I'm not surprised, though... because the writers and producers loved Martha, and always gave her really good material. And she would never sing any song that was sub-par as far as she was concerned.

nathanj06
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Always loved "I Can't Dance" and always wondered why it wasn't bigger. I just figured it was the Vandellas on the chorus back then. The story I heard years ago was that Martha hated the song and refused to finish it. That never made sense as it is a great song. Whatever the case, Syreeta sounds great on it. Quite an ordeal to get that out. I like the covers for this and the Four Tops.

johnjeb
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Always loved "I Can't Dance" and always wondered why it wasn't bigger. I just figured it was the Vandellas on the chorus back then. The story I heard years ago was that Martha hated the song and refused to finish it. That never made sense as it is a great song. Whatever the case, Syreeta sounds great on it. Quite an ordeal to get that out.

I'll be interested to read the commentary in the booklet on the effort it took to get this record completed and released and the controversy that ensued.

Reading Deke's comments above I started wondering why they just didn't go ahead and release "Sweet Darlin'" first and wait for Martha to return to finish or rerecord "Can't Dance..." rather than jump through all those hoops.

midnight johnny
03-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I'll be interested to read the commentary in the booklet on the effort it took to get this record completed and released and the controversy that ensued.

Reading Deke's comments above I started wondering why they just didn't go ahead and release "Sweet Darlin'" first and wait for Martha to return to finish or rerecord "Can't Dance..." rather than jump through all those hoops.

That's a VERY good point, John!

johnjeb
03-23-2013, 07:10 PM
That's a VERY good point, John!

I can understand Deke getting his big opportunity and doing whatever he could to make it work, but I just don't understand Quality Control's rationale and all that drama.

"Can't Dance" is definitely a better record but "Sweet Darlin'" is damn good and might have fared better had it been released first.

Having said that, so far I prefer the released version with Syreeta in the mix over the original and alternate versions from the new collection that I heard on your radio show. The melody and lyrics in the chorus sound better. Had they waited then maybe Martha would have sung that melody and lyric.

midnight johnny
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
I can understand Deke getting his big opportunity and doing whatever he could to make it work, but I just don't understand Quality Control's rationale and all that drama.

"Can't Dance" is definitely a better record but "Sweet Darlin'" is damn good and might have fared better had it been released first.

Having said that, so far I prefer the released version with Syreeta in the mix over the original and alternate versions from the new collection that I heard on your radio show. The melody and lyrics in the chorus sound better. Had they waited then maybe Martha would have sung that melody and lyric.

I agree, John. I still like the originally released version best too, and I do also wish we had a version with Martha singing the original melody. But, yet and still, there are few Motown pleasures more enjoyable to me than to hear an alternate version to get a clue as to the evolution these songs.

Kamasu_Jr
03-25-2013, 07:33 AM
FYI- Amazon has put this on sale with free shipping.

johnjeb
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
FYI- Amazon has put this on sale with free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale price. I was going to order both releases this week, anyway.

I get free shipping, on most things, with amazon Prime, but glad I was able to save 8 dollars on Martha's release.

carole cucumber
05-25-2013, 01:02 AM
http://theseconddisc.com/2013/05/24/review-the-four-topsmartha-reeves-the-vandellas-50th-anniversary-the-singles-collection-part-2-martha-reeves-the-vandellas/#more-20953