PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Makes Billboard

test

jobeterob
03-03-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/1550426/20-hit-songs-meant-for-other-singers

milven
03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Too bad she turned it down. I think she would have done a good job with HOLIDAY, it would have been nice to see her have at least one hit on the charts in her solo career.

smark21
03-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Holiday would have been all wrong for Mary’s voice [[or Phyllis Hyman’s). It’s a fluff type of song perfect for the young Madonna. It’s not a song for a middle aged woman with a husky voice.

skooldem1
03-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I didn't know that it was first offered to Phyllis and others before offering it to Mary. Mary would have been all kinds of wrong. This song doesn't fit her voice at all.

smark21
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Did Mary even have a recording contract at the time she was offered “Holiday”?

Glenpwood
03-03-2013, 04:26 PM
No, Mary even had an article in the year end issue of Billboard 12/26/81 that she was shopping for a solo deal although she is quoted in piece as saying "I've been asked to go back to Motown as Mary Wilson &The Supremes. It's only in the talking stages and at first I thought no way" she then says she'd like Cindy to return and if the group did reunite it "would only be for a short while and make it very special. The Supremes never had a Farewell like when Diana left. People still ask what happened to them." I guess getting the Drury Lane show broadcast by the BBC wasn't special to her by then. I also wonder why she never mentions this episode in her memoirs. She did cover Discussing a reunion with Berry and Suzanne in her book and mentions it would've been her Scherrie and Cindy but never says she was to get name billing. Don't have Supreme Faith nearby but I thought that all came about after the Temps reunion was a success so that wouldve been 1983-1984 timeline wise. Always wondered about that.....

luke
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Yep. I think it was 82-83. Suzanne interested, Berry not so Mary dropped it. Cindy quoted her recently talking aqbout it at the time.

marv2
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
No, Mary even had an article in the year end issue of Billboard 12/26/81 that she was shopping for a solo deal although she is quoted in piece as saying "I've been asked to go back to Motown as Mary Wilson &The Supremes. It's only in the talking stages and at first I thought no way" she then says she'd like Cindy to return and if the group did reunite it "would only be for a short while and make it very special. The Supremes never had a Farewell like when Diana left. People still ask what happened to them." I guess getting the Drury Lane show broadcast by the BBC wasn't special to her by then. I also wonder why she never mentions this episode in her memoirs. She did cover Discussing a reunion with Berry and Suzanne in her book and mentions it would've been her Scherrie and Cindy but never says she was to get name billing. Don't have Supreme Faith nearby but I thought that all came about after the Temps reunion was a success so that wouldve been 1983-1984 timeline wise. Always wondered about that.....

It was in the Spring of '82.