PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Kendricks Interview

test

jobeterob
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Eddie wasn't so happy with Berry either!

jobeterob
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1I7TWdWW8

soulwally
03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
We've discussed this before. Eddie didn't seem happy with anyone, a very bitter man in this place and time. And what he says about Berry, to be honest, cannot be true.

arrr&bee
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes we've been down this road before,but let's not be too hard on eddie because when this interview was done his career was about over,so some bitterness is understandable,eddie will always be my favorite temp and all of us who sang fist tenor in the sixties myself included wanted to sound like him...eddie forever!

RossHolloway
03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Can someone give me some background on this? Why do people say he was bitter and the nature of his relationship with Berry Gordy? Why would he stay at Motown for so long if he didn't care for Berry Gordy?

jobeterob
03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
I think you can tell from the interview that Eddie could be difficult and wasn't an easy personality.

When you get older and have had great success with a group and then good success for a while on your own [[Keep on Truckin, Boogie Down) ~ when it goes away and the money dries up ~ it's not a fun time. And in the pop music world, you might have 10 years if you are lucky; maybe less today.

I wonder if he knew he was ill by the time of the interview.

In the end, I believe Eddie had the most successful solo career or any Temptation.

Good posts by all of you.

dvus7
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I think you can tell from the interview that Eddie could be difficult and wasn't an easy personality.

When you get older and have had great success with a group and then good success for a while on your own [[Keep on Truckin, Boogie Down) ~ when it goes away and the money dries up ~ it's not a fun time. And in the pop music world, you might have 10 years if you are lucky; maybe less today.

I wonder if he knew he was ill by the time of the interview.

In the end, I believe Eddie had the most successful solo career or any Temptation.

Good posts by all of you.

Hey, jobeterob........I am in totally agreement with your post!!! Thanks!!

marv2
03-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I have seen this interview several times in the past few years. I didn't see Eddie Kendrick as bitter. He was tough, but that is to be expected. He came up hard like so many others so he had to be tough. I think he had a great personality. He was cool [[at least to me the couple of times I was around him and spoke with him.). Eddie was not a punk! He knew he had a gift and did not have to take a backseat to anyone. He spoke his mind and was respectful, if you were respectful to him. He stayed at Motown because it was a job. Had nothing to do with liking or disliking Mr. Gordy.

arrr&bee
03-02-2013, 02:26 AM
I think that a part of him staying longer was paul who was his best friend,after paul's drinking got worst and with him getting no leads on singles after[don't look back]perhaps eddie thought he needed to protect paul's place in the group,just my opinion.

midnightman
03-03-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't know if Eddie was bitter or maybe Eddie just didn't play the game regarding Motown. I also think Eddie stayed because of Paul AND David. Remember, he was the only Tempt to veto against voting David out of the group despite David's temperamental prima donna attitude. Then he stayed with Paul because he refused to have Paul be replaced by Otis. I wished they could've delve more into the drama in the Temptations between Eddie and Otis but of course Unsung can only go for 43 minutes [[sans commercials) and of course it's gonna be presented with a biased look at things. Eddie was a man of many different moods.

no_place_like_motown
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
From Midnight Man:

Unsung can only go for 43 minutes [[sans commercials)

I watched the episode last night on TVOne's website and it ran for 34:04 minutes w/ no commercials. It left me longing for more! It was hard to watch that final performance by Eddie at the Apollo, his voice was nearly gone. Glad to hear that they mentioned his final album from 1983 . "I'm In Love With You" was a good song and it did get some minor airplay on WBLS here in N.Y.C. Great hearing comments from Otis, Martha, Mary and Merald "Bubba" Knight.

motony
03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
was Eddies' correct last name Kendrick or Kendricks. I've seen it both ways on record labels, backs of Tempation LPs & articles. I think its Kendrick.

misty
03-04-2013, 03:46 PM
It was Kendricks. At some point, he changed the spelling. Why - I don't know.

motony
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
thanks, Misty... I know I've seen it both ways & I think the photo of his tombstone has it as "Kendrick".

marv2
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
thanks, Misty... I know I've seen it both ways & I think the photo of his tombstone has it as "Kendrick".

Kendrick without the "S" is Eddie's family name.

soulwally
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Just watched the Unsung episode online... and guess who bailed Eddie out of jail after he had been arrested at David Ruffin's funeral? Berry Gordy.

midnightman
03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
From Midnight Man:

Unsung can only go for 43 minutes [[sans commercials)

I watched the episode last night on TVOne's website and it ran for 34:04 minutes w/ no commercials. It left me longing for more! It was hard to watch that final performance by Eddie at the Apollo, his voice was nearly gone. Glad to hear that they mentioned his final album from 1983 . "I'm In Love With You" was a good song and it did get some minor airplay on WBLS here in N.Y.C. Great hearing comments from Otis, Martha, Mary and Merald "Bubba" Knight.

Thanks. That's all? Ugh lol

franjoy56
03-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Eddie Kendricks was a decent person and only stood up for what was right.

captainjames
03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
I saw unsung as well and was disturb by several things I heard and saw, I will have to go back and look at it again since I have i taped.

marv2
03-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Eddie Kendricks was a decent person and only stood up for what was right.

Fran, he was one of the few from Motown that tried to help Florence when she was down and out. He brought her MONEY!

jobeterob
03-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Fran, he was one of the few from Motown that tried to help Florence when she was down and out. He brought her MONEY!

You mean "like Diana"?

alexgarret
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
She was the queen