PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bolton's Tribute to HITSVILLE USA

test

milven
02-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Michael Bolton's new CD was released today. It's a tribute to Motown. With MOTOWN THE MUSICAL about to come out, I guess everyone will jump on the Motown bandwagon.

I never cared for Bolton's singing. To me, it sounds like he is taking a forced dump

http://www.allmusic.com/album/aint-no-mountain-high-enough-a-tribute-to-hitsville-mw0002477633

captainjames
02-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Yes, I saw this advertise earlier last week and I was not sure if I like the songs that were picked.

blueskies
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I never cared for Bolton's singing. To me, it sounds like he is taking a forced dump

Well....that left nothing to the imagination...and, I'd have to agree. In listening to the songs, it all sounds sung in that forced dump voice.

jobeterob
02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
There is a review in our local newspaper this morning ~ not a good one. Says that he does a cover of the Marvin Gaye song, too often covered, Aint No Mountain High Enough...............with Kelly Rowland. Also, You Keep Me Hangin On and Signed Sealed Delivered.

When these guys do these albums, they tend to do too many of the same songs again and again.

reese
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Michael had a HSN special on a few weeks back to promote the album. Unfortunately I missed it, but I read that Martha Reeves and Valerie Simpson were supposed to join him.

RossHolloway
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Have Motown songs become American standards now?

jack020
02-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Is it a "Michael "thing covering Motown? First Michael McDonald, now Bolton!

Methuselah2
02-28-2013, 07:23 AM
"What a dump!"
-- Bette Davis as "Rosa Moline" in BEYOND THE FOREST [[1949)

nathanj06
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I think he sounds great and stuck to the formula. Am I hearing something different?

R. Mark Desjardins
02-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Singers covering hit songs is a long standing musical tradition, but as we all know, some performers have NO business attempting Motown material. I confess, I am a "musical junkie." One of my "guilty pleasures" has been attempting to track down unusual and bizarre Tamla/Motown covers, such as big band and orchestral arrangements of Norman Whitfield Temptations psychadelic era covers. Believe it or not, these things exist and not all are as cheesy as you would imagine. In fact, some are quite fun.

With all due respect to Micheal Bolton, Rod Stewart, Phil Collins and the army of others who have tried to interpret the Tamla/Motown songbook, please, get a groove. These efforts have just been plain embarrassing for all involved!

midnight johnny
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
With all due respect to Micheal Bolton, Rod Stewart, Phil Collins and the army of others who have tried to interpret the Tamla/Motown songbook, please, get a groove. These efforts have just been plain embarrassing for all involved!

Mark...I couldn't agree with you more!
John

blueskies
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
"What a dump!"
-- Bette Davis as "Rosa Moline" in BEYOND THE FOREST [[1949)
OMG.....you made my day!

misty
02-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Michael Bolton = pseudo soul. Ugh.

smark21
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I wonder if this will do well sales wise? Bolton is hawking this album on Home Shopping Network, the same channel that Lionel Ritchie promoted his set of country style remakes of his own hits last year to great success. I can see the HSN audience of bored housewives and cubefraus in fly over country making Bolton’s Motown album a hit.