PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wells Book: Boy oh Boy

test

summer96
02-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Wowie! lol There was alot left out but anyways. Why did Berry Gordy offer her part of the company? Their true relationship wasn't really revealed.

RossHolloway
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
What was their true relationship?

midnightman
02-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Wait, Berry offered her a part of the company? Huh?

summer96
02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
In the book it's quite interesting. When she was going to leave he offered her half of the company which is very odd considering he barely wanted his wife on board and he went to Mary Wells her house and begged her to stay [[got on his knees). The other artists don't portray him in that light at all. She was on his level. I never even read anywhere else that Berry went to another artists house.

summer96
02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Wait, Berry offered her a part of the company? Huh?

Yeah, it's in the book. But she didn't take it. It's crazy. Was she one of his "women".

milven
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
I guess I read it differently. I didn't think that he made the offer for personal reasons but for business reasons. At the time, she was bringing in a lot of cash for the company and was the First Lady of Motown. The way I read it , I think he felt that he needed her for Motown's continued success. But I also found it hard to believe that he got on his knees and begged her to stay.

motony
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Mary told me in '66 that Mr. Gordy was jus sayin anything to keep her from leaving and she jus told him she could go back to the church if she wanted to sing for free. I think Mr. Gordys underlings let it go too far before they brought it to his attention there was a problem.Herman Griffin & Robert West were pushing her to take the big money offered, and she was only 21 and had little business expierence.

motony
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
no, Mary was not having an affair with Mr. Gordy.

davidh
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
HDH also left because they stated BG made promises regarding owning part of the Co etc,but it never happened.so they left

randy_russi
02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
If he really said I'll give u 50% it was not serious--could you imagine Smokey or Mickey
or the Gordy family allowing that...I always took it that was a joke--"you name it, I'll
give u whatever u want" Well, tell him give me half your company...
I don't believe that was a serious offer, if it was even said.

midnightman
03-03-2013, 02:55 AM
I don't believe it was serious either. Plus Berry's not that crazy. Poor Mary, she was always taken advantage of and she definitely got taken advantage of once she left Motown. Something she always regretted.