PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Taylor

test

thomas96
02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArQUXRRQ4A

He was absolutely genius! A very underrated producer and singer. His whole album Taylor Made Soul is just fantastic, along with all his work with the Vancouvers! Does anyone know if he produced songs on anyone other than the Jackson 5 and himself? All his work with the Jackson 5 is just amazing.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
He is very underrated!
I just discovered his material a couple months ago and it baffles me why he and the vancovers didn't become bigger
So this is love is a brilliant one from him...

reese
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I think I saw a Bobby Taylor production credit on a Motown album by Gladys Knight and the Pips. I assume it is the same guy?

thomas96
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
I think I saw a Bobby Taylor production credit on a Motown album by Gladys Knight and the Pips. I assume it is the same guy?

I would bet it is, Gladys and him came to Motown around the same time I believe. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it.

Also, the link I showed, that is an unreleased Jackson 5 song produced by Bobby Taylor. I think it's just outstanding. Thought it may have been unclear what the Jackson 5 had to do with him, so just clearing it up for anyone.

carole cucumber
02-25-2013, 09:18 PM

'It's Bad For Me To See You' produced by Ivy Jo Hunter & Bobby Taylor on the 1996 GK&P Anthology cd.

On the ''A Little Knight Music" album , Bobby Taylor produced 'All I Need Is A Miracle',
'Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy' and 'I Hate Myself For Loving You'.

carole cucumber
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Bobby also produced 'Just Seven Numbers [[Can Straighten Out My Life) assigned to David & Jimmy Ruffin but recorded by David & Bobby and the Fantastic Four's version of 'Loving You [[Is Hurting Me),

thomas96
02-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks carole. Do you know if "Just Seven Numbers [[Can Straighten Out My Life)" was ever released?

carole cucumber
02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks carole. Do you know if "Just Seven Numbers [[Can Straighten Out My Life)" was ever released?

Yes, it is available on the 2 cd edition of Motown Sings Motown Treasures

thomas96
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Great, thanks. Was it unreleased until that?

RossHolloway
02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I thought that GK went over to Motown in 1966 and Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers got there in late '67/early '68. I really enjoyed their 1968 album - highly underrated. Anyone know why the Vancouvers left Motown while Bobby stayed on?

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I absolutely adore Bobby Taylor. He would make my list of top 10 male vocalists. What an all around talent he is!!

His version of "The Bells I Hear" is like a combo of "The Bells" & "Baby I'm For Real" by the Originals. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/lJnBh3nJ4tE

Next, I'll post "I Am Your Man". He kills it!!

"Malinda" is another good one.

WHAT A VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Here's "I Am Your Man"

http://youtu.be/wTiMmWmGL68

~~Mary~~

carole cucumber
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Great, thanks. Was it unreleased until that?

Yes. Bobby recorded the demo on April 21, 1970 utilizing David & his voice, expecting that Jimmy's voice would be added in his place and the song included on the Ruffin Brothers lp. Jimmy never got around to adding his vocal.
Frank Wilson later re-tooled the track for the Four Tops.

tamla617
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
That "bells" track is ace.The anthology double is excellent I really like "Park street bridge" and "How long has the evening train been gone"
Absolutely outstanding singer and deserved to be bigger than he was.
Here you go the whole anthology.You can download the whole thing or tracks you want.

http://www.last.fm/music/Bobby+Taylor/The+Motown+Anthology

thomas96
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
I thought that GK went over to Motown in 1966 and Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers got there in late '67/early '68. I really enjoyed their 1968 album - highly underrated. Anyone know why the Vancouvers left Motown while Bobby stayed on?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers got signed in '65 after being seen by the Supremes and Berry Gordy. I agree, very underrated album. I think both Bobby Taylor's solo album 'Taylor Made Soul' and the Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers self titled album are two of my favorite albums of all time. There's not a single song on either that doesn't get me singing along every time.

I believe that they broke up because they weren't as successful as hoped, aside from "Does Your Mama Know About Me." After that they didn't have many charted singles and the album didn't sell very well leading to Bobby Taylor choosing to go solo. Then, the Vancouvers were chosen to help back up Chris Clark, but after a few of them, including Tommy Chong, no-showed to numerous gigs they were fired. I think Bobby stayed to continue his solo career, though he did get into producing the Jackson 5 after his solo career didn't do so well.

thomas96
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for those Mary. I also love his renditions of "Cindy," "Out In The Country," and "Oh I've Been Bless'd." I would agree with you on top 10 male singers, he is just amazing!

marv2
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
There was an extensive interview done with Bobby recently in Hong Kong that was posted here a little while back where he went into details on just about everything from his group being discovered by Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, his discovery and early productions on the Jackson Five etc,etc. I found the link but not sure if the interview is still available:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3029-bobby-taylor-interview&highlight=scrub

thomas96
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
There was an extensive interview done with Bobby recently in Hong Kong that was posted here a little while back where he went into details on just about everything from his group being discovered by Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, his discovery and early productions on the Jackson Five etc,etc. I found the link but not sure if the interview is still available:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3029-bobby-taylor-interview&highlight=scrub

Thanks Marv. It's not available, but I'll try to hunt it down.

MIKEW-UK
03-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Bobby Taylor, 77 performing in Hong Kong in 2011 as The Bobby Taylor Band.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW_SQ5Wn9ik

RossHolloway
03-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bobby Taylor auditioned for the Temptations to replace David Ruffin but was turned down?

thomas96
03-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bobby Taylor auditioned for the Temptations to replace David Ruffin but was turned down?

I remember seeing Otis Williams address this in an interview, saying it was true. Supposedly Berry didn't think his voice fit in with the direction of their music at the time. If that's the real story, then I would agree. Dennis' voice fits better in the psychadelic phase than Bobby's would, though I think Bobby certainly would qualify for that position. If you listen to his version of "Cindy" and then the Temptations' version, he could definitely fit in with them.

Thanks for that video Mike.

no_place_like_motown
03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
I remember seeing Otis Williams address this in an interview, saying it was true. Supposedly Berry didn't think his voice fit in with the direction of their music at the time. If that's the real story, then I would agree. Dennis' voice fits better in the psychadelic phase than Bobby's would, though I think Bobby certainly would qualify for that position. If you listen to his version of "Cindy" and then the Temptations' version, he could definitely fit in with them.

Thanks for that video Mike.

OK, I think I'm having a senior moment here. Wasn't Bobby also turned down by Otis because he wasn't 6 feet tall? I remember the group had a rule back then that in order to be a Temptation you had to be at least 6 feet tall. My mind boggles because I'm not 100% sure it was Bobby but I do recall it was another Motown artist that was turned down for not meeting the height requirement. On that note I also recall Jimmy Ruffin being auditioned be he turned down their offer [[he preferred to be a solo act) and referred David to the group. Someone on here would know...

nosey
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Saw Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers at the Uptown in 1968 but guess what? The Originals were the "Vancouvers" on that show. I confirmed it with them when I officially met my cousin, C.P. Spencer @ 1970.

marv2
03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Saw Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers at the Uptown in 1968 but guess what? The Originals were the "Vancouvers" on that show. I confirmed it with them when I officially met my cousin, C.P. Spencer @ 1970.

Nosey! Wow! Now that is a nice piece of trivia. So they pretty much performed the back up for Bobby Taylor as a traditional stand up vocal group?

marv2
03-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks Marv. It's not available, but I'll try to hunt it down.

I do hope we can find that particular interview again. It was superb and a must listen!!!

thomas96
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Wow, am I jealous! Thanks, that's interesting. Must have been just after they broke up considering the album was released in '68, unless the real members of the "Vancouvers" couldn't show up for some reason. Very interesting.

thomas96
03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
OK, I think I'm having a senior moment here. Wasn't Bobby also turned down by Otis because he wasn't 6 feet tall? I remember the group had a rule back then that in order to be a Temptation you had to be at least 6 feet tall. My mind boggles because I'm not 100% sure it was Bobby but I do recall it was another Motown artist that was turned down for not meeting the height requirement. On that note I also recall Jimmy Ruffin being auditioned be he turned down their offer [[he preferred to be a solo act) and referred David to the group. Someone on here would know...

I've never heard that before, but I believe it. All the members were tall like that, and I doubt Otis would ever say that reason in an interview for promotional purposes at the time. [[May make the group look bad)

Also, yes Jimmy was offered the job without auditioning when Al Bryant left, but he wanted to be solo so said no, and referred David.

Roger Polhill
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
I believe that the Originals are backing Bobby on the "Motortown Revue Live At The Fox Theatre" MS688.

no_place_like_motown
03-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I've never heard that before, but I believe it. All the members were tall like that, and I doubt Otis would ever say that reason in an interview for promotional purposes at the time. [[May make the group look bad)

Also, yes Jimmy was offered the job without auditioning when Al Bryant left, but he wanted to be solo so said no, and referred David.

Thanks for your reply Thomas. I still can't recall where I read or heard about Bobby being turned down for being too short to be a Tempt! I'm gonna check some of my books later and see what I can find.

nosey
03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Nosey! Wow! Now that is a nice piece of trivia. So they pretty much performed the back up for Bobby Taylor as a traditional stand up vocal group?

You know what's funny, Marv, I was down front on or about the 4th row, thinking how cute the "Vancouvers" were and eyeing my own darn cousin! [[I didn't know him at the time. Glad nothing happened. LOL!)

thomas96
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I do hope we can find that particular interview again. It was superb and a must listen!!!

Yes, I hope someone can aide in that. I've had absolutely no luck in my search for it.

marv2
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
You know what's funny, Marv, I was down front on or about the 4th row, thinking how cute the "Vancouvers" were and eyeing my own darn cousin! [[I didn't know him at the time. Glad nothing happened. LOL!)

That happens more than you know Nosey. Good thing Ex Mrs. Berry Gordy, Raynoma Liles Gordy wasn't around. She had a BIG thing for C.P.!!! ........hehehehehehe

marv2
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes, I hope someone can aide in that. I've had absolutely no luck in my search for it.

I going to look for that interview until I find it and once I do, I am going to repost it here! He totally went off in that interview! LOL!!!!

carole cucumber
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
This may be part of the interview that you're seeking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yPcX-GRTo8

carole cucumber
03-04-2013, 10:42 PM

I believe Bobby's recollections about Mary & Flo's discovery of Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. However, hearing from someone who WAS THERE does not always provide definitive proof [[as one poster so often likes to assume). There is such a thing as faulty recall because:

http://www.pot.tv/video/2005/02/23/High-Society-Hendrix-Chongs-hidden-history

O: You were then in a band [Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers] that was signed to Motown, right?

[[TC= Tommy Chong)
TC: Yeah, we were discovered by The Supremes. Diana Ross saw us and called up Berry Gordy, and he flew to Canada to see us play. He was seeing Diana Ross at the time, so he was pretty much using it as an excuse to be with her.

Although Chong gives the credit to Diana, I believe it truly was Mary & Flo who discovered them .

carole cucumber
03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Interesting history, but no mention of Temptations offer.

http://www.scmp.com/article/969001/bobby-taylor

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Here's a good audio interview with Bobby Taylor. It is NOT the one that I referenced above, but still pretty good and includes some of his own recordings and productions on others such as the young Jackson 5. It appears on a page with many other artist interviews so scroll almost to the bottom to pick up Bobby's:

http://www.davebrown.eu/

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I believe Bobby's recollections about Mary & Flo's discovery of Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. However, hearing from someone who WAS THERE does not always provide definitive proof [[as one poster so often likes to assume). There is such a thing as faulty recall because:

O: You were then in a band [Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers] that was signed to Motown, right?

[[TC= Tommy Chong)
TC: Yeah, we were discovered by The Supremes. Diana Ross saw us and called up Berry Gordy, and he flew to Canada to see us play. He was seeing Diana Ross at the time, so he was pretty much using it as an excuse to be with her.

Although Chong gives the credit to Diana, I believe it truly was Mary & Flo who discovered them .

HA! You are trying to dispute what I said regarding Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard discovering Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and alerting Berry Gordy with the word of a man that trumpets his life-long drug usage? You are crazy! LOL!

Diane wasn't even with Mary and Flo when they first saw Bobby Taylor. In FACT Berry Gordy almost had to get rough with her to make her join him in going to see the band that Mary and Flo raved about! Try again!

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
This may be part of the interview that you're seeking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yPcX-GRTo8

That is not a part of the nearly 2 hour audio interview that I am referring and Thomas is looking for. Thanks.

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM

[[TC= Tommy Chong)

Although this is from Wikipedia, Bobby Taylor relays the story of Mary and Flo discovering at club in Vancouver called "The Elegant Parlor" in great detail in the audio interview we are searching for:

Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers join Motown

In 1965, Supremes members Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard heard the band — whose repertoire consisted primarily of Motown covers — at the Elegant Parlor in Vancouver, and alerted Motown CEO Berry Gordy, Jr.. Gordy brought the Vancouvers to Motown Records in Detroit, Michigan, and signed them to his Gordy Records imprint.[1

carole cucumber
03-04-2013, 11:25 PM
HA! You are trying to dispute what I said regarding Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard discovering Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and alerting Berry Gordy with the word of a man that trumpets is life-long drug usage? You are crazy! LOL!

Diane wasn't even with Mary and Flo when they first saw Bobby Taylor. In FACT Berry Gordy almost had to get rough with her to make her join him in going to see the band that Mary and Flo raved about! Try again!

Marv,
When are you going to learn to read. Part of your issue seems to be your insecurity and your obvious failure to control your emotions,to react/speak before you think.
If you had read my post, you would have seen that I stated that I believe that Mary & Flo discovered Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers and brought them to Berry Gordy's attention. It gels with everything I have read & heard.
However , Tommy Chong remembers it differently. He says Diana did. I said that I believe his memory to be faulty, which is even possible for those who were there.
To save yourself further difficulties, please read , stop, and re-read before firing off fiery posts that tell so much more about you than you ever hoped to reveal.

skooldem1
03-04-2013, 11:41 PM
It is quite possible all three Supremes were there and that Diana most likely is the one that got Berry to see them. There ended up being friction between Diana and Bobby for unknown reasons. Bobby didn't like Diana so perhaps he just leaves her out of the story on purpose. Does Mary say anything in her book? That might clear it up.

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Marv,
When are you going to learn to read. Part of your issue seems to be your insecurity and your obvious failure to control your emotions,to react/speak before you think.
If you had read my post, you would have seen that I stated that I believe that Mary & Flo discovered Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers and brought them to Berry Gordy's attention. It gels with everything I have read & heard.
However , Tommy Chong remembers it differently. He says Diana did. I said that I believe his memory to be faulty, which is even possible for those who were there.
To save yourself further difficulties, please read , stop, and re-read before firing off fiery posts that tell so much more about you than you ever hoped to reveal.

It doesn't matter what you believe! Facts are facts. Fact is Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard discovered Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. He says so right here in this interview at the 10:00 minute mark!

The fact you wasted yours and my time searching for something, anything to dispute what I said is just ridiculous. Tommy Chong "was never all there...." [[if you get my drift?) and that you would pull a feeble stunt like using his "recollections" is causing me to laugh here! LOL!

You don't even have to read in this instance. Just listen to the interview, that should make things easier for you.......

marv2
03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
It is quite possible all three Supremes were there and that Diana most likely is the one that got Berry to see them. There ended up being friction between Diana and Bobby for unknown reasons. Bobby didn't like Diana so perhaps he just leaves her out of the story on purpose. Does Mary say anything in her book? That might clear it up.

But there weren't! Bobby says that Berry Gordy had to darn near fight with Diane, threaten her to come down to that club the next night with him to see and hear Bobby Taylor & the Vancouers play. Bobby remembers it in his interview. He also dislikes her very much . Her refers to her as a "scrub" and that she looked odd with this very large head and stick body that went straight up and down with NO curves. That's what Bobby said. Mary and Florence were with their road manager the night they saw Bobby & the Vancouvers for the first time. That was in the interview we cannot find, but check out this other in-depth interview with Bobby conducted by Dave Brown from the U.K. here [[listen to what he says at the 10:00 minute mark.)

carole cucumber
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
It doesn't matter what you believe! Facts are facts. Fact is Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard discovered Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. He says so right here in this interview at the 10:00 minute mark!

The fact you wasted yours and my time searching for something, anything to dispute what I said is just ridiculous. Tommy Chong "was never all there...." [[if you get my drift?) and that you would pull a feeble stunt like using his "recollections" is causing me to laugh here! LOL!

You don't even have to read in this instance. Just listen to the interview, that should make things easier for you.......

Again, Marv, please read carefully before responding. The methodology of your response and your quick attack defense mechanism reveals so much about you than you know!
Nothing was researched to dispute what you had written. As I stated, I was in complete agreement with it. You assume things that aren't true and then tend to try to bully your way through with your responses written in a belittling style.
While trying to answer thomas96 request in post #31, I came upon Chong's interpretation and just wanted to show that not all persons remember things in the same way, be they influenced by substance abuse, or merely a faulty memory.

skooldem1
03-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I heard that interview you are talking about. We have Bobby saying one thing, and another band member saying another. Who knows what the truth is. It is clear he doesn't like Diana, so it would be no surprise that he won't give her credit. None of us were there. It means nothing to me. Just typing in the thread. It is not that serious.

marv2
03-05-2013, 12:07 AM
I heard that interview you are talking about. We have Bobby saying one thing, and another band member saying another. Who knows what the truth is. It is clear he doesn't like Diana, so it would be no surprise that he won't give her credit. None of us were there. It means nothing to me. Just typing in the thread. It is not that serious.

They gave Diane credit for discovering the Jackson Five and we all know that was a lie. I don't think she's ever "discovered" anyone in her career and if you know anything about her, you know why. I believe Bobby Taylor. I believe Mary Wilson and I believe Berry Gordy and NONE of them said that Diana Ross had anything to do with discovering Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. BUT, if you want to fantasize that she was involved in some way when she wasn't even there, then go right ahead........

skooldem1
03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
It is not important to me. Why are you all in a frenzy?

thomas96
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
They gave Diane credit for discovering the Jackson Five and we all know that was a lie. I don't think she's ever "discovered" anyone in her career and if you know anything about her, you know why. I believe Bobby Taylor. I believe Mary Wilson and I believe Berry Gordy and NONE of them said that Diana Ross had anything to do with discovering Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers. BUT, if you want to fantasize that she was involved in some way when she wasn't even there, then go right ahead........

I agree Marv. I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with Diane and give her so much credit. [[not saying anyone here is though) I didn't hear what Bobby said in the interview [[though I really want to if we can find it) but I can see why he doesn't like her. To me she seemed like a complete bitch. She's only famous because of being a diva, her glamour and H-D-H's songwriting, yet everyone loves her. I think she has just a decent voice at best. Never cared too much for the Supremes. I like their songs, but I don't listen to them very often. I really hate how she got credit for discovering the Jackson 5, when Bobby Taylor spent so much damn time with them, teaching them and mentoring them and bringing them to Motown. He didn't even get credit on the album for his production, which was absolutely fantastic. He deserves much more credit, but instead Diane gets it. Why?

jobeterob
03-05-2013, 01:15 AM
LOL............I have never heard Skooldem ask a silly question til now.

To Marv: "Why are you all in a frenzy?"

I think that might be one of them there oxymoron type of things as in "Marv = Frenzy". So it is just more of the same.

And I don't know if I should take it any further as in Marv and oxymoron.

ralpht
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
This thread is deteriorating nicely. What the hell difference does any of this make. Bobby was at Motown. Period. Tell you guys what. I'll try and reach Bobby and ask him myself. Meanwhile, chill.