PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Florence Ballard - February 22, 1976

test

marv2
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Remembering a truly Motown great.......Florence Ballard left us this date in 1976. I remember the night...........

stephanie
02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
When I see this pic I always wondered if it was airbrushed or if Flo lost a lot of weight because I have never seen her this skinny as I have in this pic. I know it doesnt matter but I wondered if I was the only one who thought this. Give honor to Blondie we miss her.

thanxal
02-22-2013, 10:08 PM
And she is still loved.

marv2
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Whenever I hear Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness" and hear Flo's booming voice over and above everyone else's I get a smile on my face. She was a singer!!!

thanxal
02-22-2013, 10:22 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNmm6kpscI

This is my absolute favorite Supremes clip. It's obvious that Flo and Diana inadvertently switched microphones or that Flo's was mixed loud or she was singing loud. I luv how you can hear her. It makes My World so much better to really hear her

revvy
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
God bless you Flo. We miss you dearly.

franjoy56
02-22-2013, 11:40 PM

This is my absolute favorite Supremes clip. It's obvious that Flo and Diana inadvertently switched microphones or that Flo's was mixed loud or she was singing loud. I luv how you can hear her. It makes My World so much better to really hear her
Thank you Marvin for posting Flo's date of her passing
Florence Ballard was the most famous background girl group singer ever. Her voice is immortalized in the records the Supremes in their heyday have now become gladstones. "Baby Love" & "Come See About Meeeeeehe" the first album track I ever heard that introduced me to Flo's voice was "Long Gone Lover" I will never forget that moment as the song was ending, the same thing happened when I heard that moment in "You Keep Me Hangin On" and bought the HDH album and heard "Going Down for the Third Time". I will always cherish the joy i received from listening and watching Flo sing perform with the Supremes through 1967. When Alan White produced three fabulous Flo Ballard Exhibits in Los Angeles California three years in a row, I knew she was loved all around the world in which I am happy to say I attended all three. One day when I learn how to post pic's I will post memories from those three exhibits. Florence you will never be forgotten, "Forever Faithful" and we love you.

Methuselah2
02-23-2013, 12:27 AM

Wonderful link, Thanxal. My thanx2u. That glorious microphone snafu--Ain't it great?! And the performance is all the more terrific because of it. I remember seeing this when it originally aired and I couldn't quite believe what was happening. But I sure loved it then. And love it now, as well. Dear, dear Florence. So very special. Microphone up or lowered, her voice was always heard. Her presence always felt. "And Flo, she don't know?" Not a chance. She knew. She knew a great deal. She was the real deal. And we got to know just a little bit of Flo. And that little bit was beautiful, wasn't it?

Methuselah2
02-23-2013, 05:39 AM
8 photos to remember:

1. VEHICLE SHOT:
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/8/d203e20b252d61abce7cf57b10c5455e/l.jpg

2. EARLY GROUP PHOTO:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r53BZe2ikn0/TS2dGKl9sJI/AAAAAAAAAqs/EGSilVj_a4w/s1600/FourSupremes.jpg

3. SOLO [[BUT FROM A GROUP SHOT):
http://tvone.tv/content/tvone_site/en/shows/unsung/inside-the-show/unsung-stars/florence-ballard.boximg.png

4. WITH TAPE RECORDER:
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/54535557/Florence+Ballard+flo_with_her_album.jpg

5. WHAT'S MY LINE--BLURRED BUT FLORENCE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL; DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE THIS ONE OUT:
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/tve91962-19660227-1429.jpg

6. GROUP--CANDID SHOT:
http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/8/d200a30778234f77bc47d20e14e38778/l.jpg

7. GROUP LOOKING AT PHOTOS/CLIPPINGS:
http://jazzinphoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/supremesoffice.jpg

8. ON STAGE 1968:
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/141/aea89d83fef24ede81896a51a655a662/l.jpg

revvy
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I reckon that's Barbara Martin in the group photo [[#2)?

marv2
02-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Revvy, that's French model, Ariane Sorps in the photo.

franjoy56
02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't believe that is Barbara Martin, that is a lady by the name of I think Christine, can't recall her last name she did a lead versison of a Supremes song called "Mother you, Smother You" found on the HDH album, she is from England or one of the European countries and the Supremes posed with her I believe this is from 65 or 66.

Kamasu_Jr
02-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Christine Schumacher was not from England but the greater Detroit area.

franjoy56
02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
yes that is correct. sorry about that. I also read that she was blind. Are there any pictures of her. She won a contest called Record with the Supremes initiated by Scott Reagan in Detroit and that is how she got to record the song incidentally on the Motown Label.

marv2
02-23-2013, 01:55 PM
yes that is correct. sorry about that. I also read that she was blind. Are there any pictures of her. She won a contest called Record with the Supremes initiated by Scott Reagan in Detroit and that is how she got to record the song incidentally on the Motown Label.

Christine Schumacher won the KEENER radio contest back in 1966. The woman in the picture with the Supremes is Ariane Sorps a French Model and actress. Berry Gordy became friendly with her while in Paris and invited her to visit Detroit.

revvy
02-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Once again Marv, you are correct. You are certainly the go-to man when it comes to Supremes trivia. Mary even confirms what you're saying in her book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=iRuFdjiqKEMC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=arianne+sorps&source=bl&ots=8lSfLpPwSX&sig=c9EOxXIqUttWcZbOtdGDJgiiOnA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cQMpUfCNN4HL2QW614CQCQ&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=arianne%20sorps&f=false

franjoy56
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Christine Schumacher won the KEENER radio contest back in 1966. The woman in the picture with the Supremes is Ariane Sorps a French Model and actress. Berry Gordy became friendly with her while in Paris and invited her to visit Detroit. Is there a photo of Christine Schmacher anywhere.

My favorite Flo comic moment although I could imagine how she said it was at the Copa while they were getting dressed from
Randy's Call Her Miss Ross : "I bet these things [[referring to the flowers on the blue dresses worn at the Copa opening) flap up in your faces too"

marv2
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Is there a photo of Christine Schmacher anywhere.

My favorite Flo comic moment although I could imagine how she said it was at the Copa while they were getting dressed from
Randy's Call Her Miss Ross : "I bet these things [[referring to the flowers on the blue dresses worn at the Copa opening) flap up in your faces too"

Fran, I saw a picture of Christine once on one of WKNR [[KEENER) weekly radio surveys from back in the 60's. She looked like the typical teenaged, Michigan high school girl with glasses, hehehehehe.....

marv2
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Once again Marv, you are correct. You are certainly the go-to man when it comes to Supremes trivia. Mary even confirms what you're saying in her book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=iRuFdjiqKEMC&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=arianne+sorps&source=bl&ots=8lSfLpPwSX&sig=c9EOxXIqUttWcZbOtdGDJgiiOnA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cQMpUfCNN4HL2QW614CQCQ&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=arianne%20sorps&f=false

Thanks Revvy. I can only say what I am allowed. They'd kill me otherwise! LOL!

nomis
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
the Flo performance that gets me is the live "Anyone Who Had A heart" on the expanded "Meet The Supremes" set..Flo is going for gold..soaring over the structure of the chorus..effortlessly floating over Diana's lower register dramatic articulating..this might be controversial -but some singers can only really sing good if they are in harmony..I believe Flo and Mary had this quality that I believe takes nothing from their work,of corse with the lack of solo output both ladies were unable to demonstrate in the snakepit their true calibre... but I believe in the divine designation of fate..call it god or what you like..but something of higher force i believe propelled these ladies to create that blend..that blend is incredible..theres no doubt about it Diana's best performances were always when she had someone giving her good backgrounds..it instinctively made her work harder in her foreground delivery..thats why up to the last time these 3 ladies were in the studio together which i think was "Going all the way to true love" in mid '67..its magic -no offense to Cindy but Berry couldnt duplicate the unique harmony because as I stated it was a higher force and thats why Flo will always be one third of the group,no less..no more.. they were a UNIT..Berry being no fool knew this thats why he barely ever used Mary and Cindy on studio work after Flos departure - because you could never duplicate what Blondie brought to the group..each member need each other and after Diana left it took all of Nick and Vals gospel training to match the recordings in the public conciousness of Mary and Flos renderings..they achieved their own blend..but you couldnt replace Blondie..the wise cracking mother hen who secretly lived a life of confusion from a violent rape..there was no counselling in those days,no Betty Ford she coped the best she knew how..god bless Ms. Ballard

revvy
02-23-2013, 11:18 PM
I don't think Berry gave a damn about the group sound once Florence was gone. Elevating Diana Ross to superstardom was all that mattered. Cindy wasn't hired for her voice, but for the fact she looked like Flo and Berry didn't want the group's look to suffer while he prepared Diana for a solo career. On occasion, DMC had a great blend. Two clips come to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIAhN7jgqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4cQZvgSXhs

marv2
02-23-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't think Berry gave a damn about the group sound once Florence was gone. Elevating Diana Ross to superstardom was all that mattered. Cindy wasn't hired for her voice, but for the fact she looked like Flo and Berry didn't want the group's look to suffer while he prepared Diana for a solo career. On occasion, DMC had a great blend. Two clips come to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIAhN7jgqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4cQZvgSXhs

Now that is exactly right!

franjoy56
02-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Nomis, what a fabulous, asertion of the Flo Ballard essence in the Supremes.

I truly loved performance on the Sammy Davis Jr. Show when the girls were paired with the Andrew Sisters, on the Supremes segment Flo was placed in the middle and she carried every one of those tunes, and it was evident to Diana at one point even jumping in front of flo [[no pun intended, that was Diana being Diana) but Flo carried those tunes with the top harmony coming through along with Mary's alto and Diana's middle.

One of my favorite dance performances of the Supremes where Flo was at the top of her game was on the Ed Sullivan show singing "My Favorite Things" as well as the later Supremes medley where Mary and Flo sparked up the choreography.

A performance i wish was available was Flo's 1975 performance at the Ford Theater where she performed on the bill along with Lily tomlin and Angela Davis and Joanne Chesamire.

marv2
02-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Nomis, what a fabulous, asertion of the Flo Ballard essence in the Supremes.

I truly loved performance on the Sammy Davis Jr. Show when the girls were paired with the Andrew Sisters, on the Supremes segment Flo was placed in the middle and she carried every one of those tunes, and it was evident to Diana at one point even jumping in front of flo [[no pun intended, that was Diana being Diana) but Flo carried those tunes with the top harmony coming through along with Mary's alto and Diana's middle.

One of my favorite dance performances of the Supremes where Flo was at the top of her game was on the Ed Sullivan show singing "My Favorite Things" as well as the later Supremes medley where Mary and Flo sparked up the choreography.

A performance i wish was available was Flo's 1975 performance at the Ford Theater where she performed on the bill along with Lily tomlin and Angela Davis and Joanne Chesamire.

If you watch Florence closely in the "T.A.M.I. Show", she is GETTIN' IT! LOL! Flo had those moves down especially to "Run, Run, Run".

Rosa Refried
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
I got the CD with the Live at the Rooster tail show and Florence was great form. What great lady.

marv2
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Did you know regarding Florence's solo album for ABC Records. The master's were bought by Motown in 1969 making sure it would never be released. They tried in 1996 to do a reissue of the ABC sides which I thought MCA owned. To another company's surprise they had to go through Motown/Universal which showed they had the masters since 69. They couldn't get it released in the US until Motown was completely sold. Even then ;this other company had to have a foreign distributor! FACT

carole cucumber
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Did you know regarding Florence's solo album for ABC Records. The master's were bought by Motown in 1969 making sure it would never be released. They tried in 1996 to do a reissue of the ABC sides which I thought MCA owned. To another company's surprise they had to go through Motown/Universal which showed they had the masters since 69. They couldn't get it released in the US until Motown was completely sold. Even then ;this other company had to have a foreign distributor! FACT

By 1969, Flo [[as much as we all love her) had had 2 singles released by ABC. They did well in Detroit from what I've read, but nationally they really didn't do much on the charts, nor did they sell that well. This led to the cancellation of her proposed album, and Flo eventually being dropped by the label.
If ABC had believed in Flo and her abilities and patiently allowed her to re-invent herself, they would not have dropped her nor sold the masters so quickly. Had someone not offered to buy them, they possibly might have remained in the ABC vaults anyway at least until 1996, or........
I've read that in the 1970's,well before cd's and an unexpected booming re-issue market, some labels and ABC in particularly were not kind to master tapes. Insiders have said that the company did not see the value of keeping old master tapes that did not sell well. In an effort to save space, many were disposed of. Although we'll never know, had Flo's masters not been bought by Motown, they might have been part of the purging and destroyed.

carole cucumber
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Marv,
I'm curious..What is the name of the company that finally released Flo's album via a foreign distributor?

SupremeBoy
02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Marv,
I'm curious..What is the name of the company that finally released Flo's album via a foreign distributor?

Polygram UK released the CD in 2001.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Like You Babe

2. Yesterday

3. Yours Until Tomorrow

4. It's Not Unusual

5. The Impossible Dream

6. It Doesn't Matter How I Say It [[It's What I Say That Matters)

7. Stay In Love

8. Walk On By

9. Goin' Out Of My Head

10. You Bring Out The Sweetness In Me

11. Everything Wonderful

12. Love Ain't Love

13. Forever Faithful

14. My Heart

15. Buttered Popcorn

16. Ain't That Good News

17. Hey Baby

18. Heavenly Father

carole cucumber
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Doesn't that mean that Polygram which owned the Motown masters used the masters they had purchased in 1969?

alexgarret
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
At least we have "People" - they can't take that away from us. Such an angelic voice - gone too soon...

nomis
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
The head of ABC told Flo he had played golf with Gordy...wether she was right or wrong ..Flo took this as an indication her ABC contract doomed..as the senior management of Motown had openly been calling her "that Ballard Bitch" for some time..and Detroit djs told her and Tommy they were scared to play her singles..her hunch was right..she was dropped..one third of the most successful act in America and she didnt even get an LP out after leaving the group..whatever Gordy said on the golf course obviously worked..

franjoy56
02-28-2013, 01:01 AM
It would have been fabulous to have seen that album in the stores in 1969, just the cover with one of the head shots of Flo [[her publicity photos) certainly would have sparked up some interest across the country.

"You Don't Have to"

"The Flo Ballard Album" with an open cover just like the Supremes "New Ways But Love Stays" cover.

skooldem1
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Many business men play golf together. Keep in mind that they were "competing" business men. Nothing Berry could have said would make any difference as to what the President of ABC records decided to do with Florence. He would not throw away any more money into the Florence Ballard project if he felt it was sub par. That is why he shelved it. Nothing to do with Berry. Berry bought it after the fact.

midnightman
03-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Hearing Florence's solo work, it's easy to understand why ABC shelved it. I think because Florence's heart wasn't really in it and her voice had changed from what it was in Motown [[most of them you hear her singing real rough and raspy) and once ABC heard it he probably didn't think it could sell. Also, remember, Florence agreed not to promote herself as a former Supreme so that definitely didn't help matters.

That said, she was one of pop's greatest voices and definitely the glue that kept the Supremes what they were and who they became. Once she left, it was over. Diana and Mary both have confirmed that on many occasions. RIP Florence.