PDA

View Full Version : Any Whispers experts re Nicholas Caldwell?

test

soulwally
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
I've been listening to the Whispers a lot recently, and looked up some of their live clips on youtube.
I can't find anything more recent than 2011, and on two of those clips Nick was seated when performing. Anyone know if that was a temporary thing, or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_v5qq-O7A

In another clip from 2009 from The Valley Gold Show group mate Leavell Degree tells movingly how his wife's persistence probably staved off a fatal heart attack. Check Leavell out in that 2011 clip though - he looks 20 years younger than his actual age!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IE9EWBnWV4

Soul Sister
02-22-2013, 10:58 PM
The Whispers from back of the stage ~

S.S.

Soul Sister
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Speaking of Nick & Leavell ~

S.S.

Soul Sister
02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
The twins ~
Scotty

Walter

S.S.

tsull1
02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Clips might be from a couple years ago. Nicholas either tore a tendon or broke an ankle and was on the mend, but being the good soldier he is, he still went on stage and sat in a chair. The concert was still unreal!

soulwally
02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks Tsull. I was worried it might have been something more permanent than that.

juicefree20
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
We were at a show about 2 years ago at Westbury/North Fork & as the group was leaving the stage after their last song & taking their bows, all of a sudden we saw them lift Nicholas & carry him up the ramp to the dressing rooms & we all became concerned, wondering what went wrong. After awhile, someone came out & they told us that Nick had torn his achilles tendon & he had to stay off of the road for awhile.

The next Summer, The Whispers appeared here in Brooklyn & Nick did the show while sitting on a stool. But Nick's the choreographer of the group & you could tell that it took all of the restraint that he had inside of his to stop himself from getting up & dancing. In fact, he did get up briefly & did a few steps.

I'll have to get in touch with the camp to see if it's related to that, but the fan club whom have members of The Whispers & their wives as participating members have discussed the various health problems that some of the fellas have had & as I recall it, Nick has had to sit out some shows due to heart issues. I'll make a few calls & find out how everything's going with Nick.

I have to say that it's hard for me to imagine seeing The Whispers without seeing Nick's smilling face on that stage. Nick's one of the friendliest guys whom I've ever met in the business & The Whispers are some very fan-friendly guys, very classy & very respectful.

juicefree20
02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm on the phone now & for the most part, Nick is a little under the weather & for now the travel & the road is a bit much too much. He's doing shows on the West Coast & for now, Nick will be doing West Coast shows only. Other than that, his heart situation is stable & he's doing fine.

Despite some of the rumors which have been going around [[which they're fully aware of & addressed onstage last weekend at the Bergen PAC), they want this to be perfectly understood.

soulwally
02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks juice. I wish nick and all the guys the best.

soulwally
02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
And, while I'm going through my Whispers thing, who exactly does sing lead?
On videos of the guys, where the vocals are mimed [[lip-synched), I can only hear one voice... yet both Scotts are miming.
Likewise, the live concert footage I've seen often shows both guys singing at once. Do they sing in an amazing unison that makes two sound like one?
I have seen some split leads, and Walter and Scotty's voices are so similar it's hard for me to pick out who is singing what on what tracks when I listen to their songs.
Can anyone enlighten me?

MIKEW-UK
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Whilst Scotty and Walter were lead tenors from the outset, and they often do share lead vocals,are amazingly similar and difficult to distinguish in unison, Scotty has been taken the majority of leads in the shows I have been to. That Scotty takes the greater amount of lead solos is somewhat supported by album credits, where they are singled out individually.... most of their recordings do not assign individual credits.
Examples - More Of The Night Album - 10 leads credited to Scotty, 3 leads to both, zero to Walter on sole lead.

Toast To The Ladies - 3 leads to Scotty, 9 leads to both Walter and Scotty - zero to Walter on sole lead.
For me, part of the magic of the Whispers has always been the indivisibility / harmony of the twins and their interplay on stage, irrespective of who actually might take the greater precentage of lead. They are a fabulous unit. When i last saw them, Nicholas was sat on the stool but still gave it all - I just hope he makes it back to his great choreography, although Leaveil still puts on a great show at the front..... as do the band