PDA

View Full Version : Bettye LaVette at The Old Town School of Folk Music [[Chicago)

test

catwoman55
10-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Last night, I had the pleasure of [[once again) seeing Bettye LaVette at The Old Town School of Folk Music, here in Chicago. Although I have seen Bettye in concert many times, so far, it just gets better & better, each time :) During this sold-out show, she & her band performed many selections from "Interpretations...", as well as "The Scene of the Crime", "Ive Got My Own Hell to Raise", and "A Woman Like Me". As always, Bettye poured her heart, soul and immense talent of singing and song interpretation into these songs, making them her own, along with a band that is one of the best I've ever seen. I don't do set lists, as I'm always caught up in what's going on during the show on stage. However, she performed "The Word", "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", "All My Love", "Salt of the Earth" [[a favorite), the tour de force - "Love Reign O'er Me", "They Call It Love", "A Woman Like Me", and much more. I also loved her take on "Nights In White Satin" [[I finally understand it now, Bettye...LOL), and the showstopper, sung a Capella, "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got." The encore was a rousing version of "Before The Money Came...", where Bettye went out into the crowd on the main floor. I always feel so refreshed and invigorated after seeing Bettye perform live - this time was no exception. Also, last night, Bettye was cuttin' a rug on stage, dancin'...LOL It was a lovely evening, and the crowd was very appreciative. I wish that my fellow Chicago "groupies" could have attended... Bettye, I also tried to wait and speak to you after the show, but I had to go... That's OK, though.

Oh, yes, the band opening for Bettye was the Right Now, from Chicago. They bill themselves as a soul band, and they are not lying ;) These young musicians, along with a great lead singer, performed a great set for about 30 minutes of [[what I thought were) original songs, all done with a distinctly '60's down-home soul flavor. It was very entertaining, and I was quite impressed. And, the horn section had steps to go with their playing, the way it used to be :)

Anyway, thank you, Bettye, for coming back to Chicago to grace us with a wonderful show. We love you! Please come back soon. And, BTW, can I get one of your new T-shirts online [[your website or elsewhere)? Y'all need to see that one...LOL

Cat

catwoman55
10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
For a review from the Chicago Tribune, check out http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-live-1004-bettye-lavette-review-20101003,0,1887769.story

ralpht
10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I love reading this. Bettye gives true meaning to the word 'diva". So classey and so very talented. Thanks for posting this Catwoman.

catwoman55
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM
You're welcome, Ralph. My pleasure :)

GeeTee(HPK)
10-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Great review Cat. I wish I was there,but as you already know,the tickets went fast. :[[ [[perhaps next year I'll be lucky)

paladin
10-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Great review Cat, you know we love Bettye. It was a shame because like GT said when I found out about it and you know "I'm Deep" in the southside, it was simply impossible for me sit on the roof of Old Town. Please keep us posted on her next appearance, your review has caused my brain to reboot with a pang of conscience. Lol....

mark speck
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
When she performed here a couple of months ago in Cleveland, she didn't do "Before the Money Came"...all the songs were from the Interpretations CD, along with "A Woman Like Me" and "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got".

Best,

Mark

catwoman55
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks, G. and KDub :) I will definitely keep you guys posted next time. At this point, when Bettye's appearances are announced here, you've gotta grab a ticket with a quickness, if you can. It is SO grand to see how her star has risen and is shining so brightly. You all would have loved this show, as Bettye showed up and showed OUT...LOL. That Chicago Tribune review sums it up pretty well. Mark, "Before The Money Came" turned out the Old Town School Saturday night - we, the audience, were havin' a ball, as Bettye told her story, in song!

paladin
10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
No problem Cat, you know I really love this woman. I know she showed out, dam..........

chidrummer
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Damn, I hate I missed her at Old School. Thanks for the update, Cat. I'll have to make it the next time she's in town. I just turned on a voice teacher to Bettye, yesterday, after she asked me about playing a Sharon Jones tune. The teacher's eyes lit up. There's nothing like a great soul singer to the blood goin'.

imnokid
10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Deb
Hit me offlist with your size and address.

GeeTee(HPK)
12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I got my ticket !:D Come on May 2011 ! :)

catwoman55
12-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Me, too! Me, too! Yay! Where are you sitting, G.? I had the online system find me a ticket [[best available), and landed a seat in floor right section, Row CC. Not bad, if I remember the seating correctly ;) Anyway, we're gonna have a good time!

BTW, at this point, there are still seats available, but according to what I saw online, not very many... If y'all want to see Bettye then, you might want to hurry up.

Cat

GeeTee(HPK)
12-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Well good for you, :D but WAIT ! How were you so lucky to get a seat on the floor,when I went to the box office last week,and the only seats they had available were the balcony. [[which by the way, I'm in the balcony front row AA.)

I'll see you there ! :cool:

catwoman55
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
G., I don't know how that happened :)... When I went to the first page, where they have the seating chart and you click on sections to see what seats are available, each one of the prime locations [[i.e., on the floor and/or 1st row of first balcony) kept turning up as "no seats available". So, I took a chance - I went back to the beginning, chose the option where the system finds "best available" for you, and voila, I got that floor seat! At that point, I quit while I was ahead...LOL! First balcony seating is good, though, due to the way the seating in the theatre is set up. That's where I was, at her last show, and I didn't even have to stand up to have a clear view of her. Same location last year, too, for that Meshell show...

Anyway, the main thing is that I got a ticket! And, I'm happy that you are going, too :) See ya there, with my new Bettye T-shirt on;)

Cat