PDA

View Full Version : My niece will be a Supreme

test

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
In honor of Black History month, my little niece's elementary school will do a Motown Review. My niece was picked to be a Supreme. My sister called me and told me she had been practicing a lot. My niece got on the phone and told me she was studying her "lyrics". She was having a problem with the beat, but she quickly learned the song. My sister said she was wearing everyone out in the house playing "Stop in the Name of Love" over and over. I told her to bring her over so she could practice. I pulled up some youtube karaoke. I had a copy of one of Diana's CD'sitting on the table. She said...that's Diana Ross. She kept on saying Diana Ross, or Supreme's in her little girl voice, and it would make my heart melt each time. When she was doing the karaoke version of Stop in the name of Love, she was just standing there swaying and my sister said sing. She said "that's Diana Ross's part, I'm a Supreme". I was trying to act reserved, I didn't want to act like one of those crazy parents on Toddlers and Tierras LOL. So she sang and swayed and did the stop motion. I played her a video of the Supreme's singing Stop in the name of love, and she quickly picked up the part at the end of the song where they do the "Stop" move and then throw their arms up in the classic Diana Ross/Supremes style. She did this on her own. She said that there were only 2 girl groups the rest are guys. She said one of her male buddies was in a guy group. I said what group? The Temptations? She said no he is a "Top" something. I laughed and said the Four Tops? She said yes. My sister showed me the notice that was sent home, and for a Supreme, the instructions were to wear eyeliner and pink lipstick. They will all wear dresses. I don't think she knows just how proud and happy I will be watching them onstage. :D

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Great family story. Great to hear how close you are.

Methuselah2
02-21-2013, 12:44 AM
I co-sign, Skooldem. I enjoyed your story a lot. Thank you.

thomas96
02-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Wow, great story. My family hates this music. They are into rap and Beyonce and such. Glad to see the elementary school and your niece honoring Motown! On Comcast's "On Demand" in the Black History Month section, in the Music section, the only Motown/soul-esque song was Marvin's What's Going On, and they had a lot of Michael Jackson, and the rest was rap/r&b pop. My oh my, Motown and Stax/Atlantic [[though white management) are really what should be honored this month, not Tupac. Thanks for sharing that story. It made me happy to know that some people out there appreciate Motown.

captainjames
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
OMG you put a smile on my face this morning -- good story.

ralpht
02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
If you could post some pics of this show, that would be great.

Roberta75
02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
In honor of Black History month, my little niece's elementary school will do a Motown Review. My niece was picked to be a Supreme. My sister called me and told me she had been practicing a lot. My niece got on the phone and told me she was studying her "lyrics". She was having a problem with the beat, but she quickly learned the song. My sister said she was wearing everyone out in the house playing "Stop in the Name of Love" over and over. I told her to bring her over so she could practice. I pulled up some youtube karaoke. I had a copy of one of Diana's CD'sitting on the table. She said...that's Diana Ross. She kept on saying Diana Ross, or Supreme's in her little girl voice, and it would make my heart melt each time. When she was doing the karaoke version of Stop in the name of Love, she was just standing there swaying and my sister said sing. She said "that's Diana Ross's part, I'm a Supreme". I was trying to act reserved, I didn't want to act like one of those crazy parents on Toddlers and Tierras LOL. So she sang and swayed and did the stop motion. I played her a video of the Supreme's singing Stop in the name of love, and she quickly picked up the part at the end of the song where they do the "Stop" move and then throw their arms up in the classic Diana Ross/Supremes style. She did this on her own. She said that there were only 2 girl groups the rest are guys. She said one of her male buddies was in a guy group. I said what group? The Temptations? She said no he is a "Top" something. I laughed and said the Four Tops? She said yes. My sister showed me the notice that was sent home, and for a Supreme, the instructions were to wear eyeliner and pink lipstick. They will all wear dresses. I don't think she knows just how proud and happy I will be watching them onstage. :D

Your cute story have me grinning from ear to ear this morning. Just adorable.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

sophisticated_soul
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. It's a smiler!:)

Motown4Ever518
02-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Thank you for sharing. Your niece performs the song, another little girl sees it, she sings a Supremes song................It is great that young people are honoring our musical legacy!

stephanie
02-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Oh man that is so cute keep the Motown faith going on in the next generation! Thanks for the update.

arrr&bee
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
in honor of black history month, my little niece's elementary school will do a motown review. My niece was picked to be a supreme. My sister called me and told me she had been practicing a lot. My niece got on the phone and told me she was studying her "lyrics". She was having a problem with the beat, but she quickly learned the song. My sister said she was wearing everyone out in the house playing "stop in the name of love" over and over. I told her to bring her over so she could practice. I pulled up some youtube karaoke. I had a copy of one of diana's cd'sitting on the table. She said...that's diana ross. She kept on saying diana ross, or supreme's in her little girl voice, and it would make my heart melt each time. When she was doing the karaoke version of stop in the name of love, she was just standing there swaying and my sister said sing. She said "that's diana ross's part, i'm a supreme". I was trying to act reserved, i didn't want to act like one of those crazy parents on toddlers and tierras lol. So she sang and swayed and did the stop motion. I played her a video of the supreme's singing stop in the name of love, and she quickly picked up the part at the end of the song where they do the "stop" move and then throw their arms up in the classic diana ross/supremes style. She did this on her own. She said that there were only 2 girl groups the rest are guys. She said one of her male buddies was in a guy group. I said what group? The temptations? She said no he is a "top" something. I laughed and said the four tops? She said yes. My sister showed me the notice that was sent home, and for a supreme, the instructions were to wear eyeliner and pink lipstick. They will all wear dresses. I don't think she knows just how proud and happy i will be watching them onstage. :daww now ain't dat cute...luv da kids!!!