PDA

View Full Version : 'LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING'? No--An Outage! OUTRAGE LIST/Was The Public Wrong Again?

test

Methuselah2
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
It sounded immediately like a smash hit to me.
But: US--#85; R&B--#18; UK--#31
Just how was this possible?
Am I completely off-base?
Merely personal taste?
Was it all about promotion--or lack thereof?

The Contours/JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING [1966]
Written by Morris Broadnax/Stevie Wonder/Clarence Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iag4cfkaHac

Any ideas about what happened here?

The OUTRAGE LIST--Truly great Motown recordings
that didn't land where they deserved to be:

Besides MISUNDERSTANDING, I say:
· Brenda Holloway/JUST LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE [1967]
· The Supremes/NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES [1965]
· The Supremes/LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART [1966]

I'd be interested to know: What's on your OUTRAGE LIST? Thanks.

marv2
02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Merely personal taste?

The OUTRAGE LIST--Truly great Motown recordings
that didn't land where they deserved to be:

Besides MISUNDERSTANDING, I say:
· Brenda Holloway/JUST LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE [1967]
· The Supremes/NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES [1965]
· The Supremes/LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART [1966]

I'd be interested to know: What's on your OUTRAGE LIST? Thanks.

It was a great record. Got plenty of airplay on CKLW-Windsor. I think it was a bigger local hit in Detroit than nationally for some reason.

marv2
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Brenda Holloway/JUST LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE [1967] I don't remember hearing this one on the radio much. It is a great song though.

The Supremes - "Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart" was a huge ass hit on R&B/Soul stations. It lasted longer or rather stayed popular much more so that "Nothing But Heartaches".

My outrage list would include:

the Four Tops "Something About You"
[[awesome song and should have been a #1 hit!).

Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers "Malinda"
[[such a perfect record in my opinion)

Martha & the Vandellas "Third Finger, Left Hand"
[[Thank God for Philly DJ's that played it often)

Jackson Five "Sugar Daddy"
[[Came out too late in the year and they were just having way too many hits.)

Edwin Starr "Stop the War Now!"
[[Maybe this one was just too up in your face....)

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Agree with Itching and Nothing But Heartaches. They should have been #1's.

My outrage list would include Take A Look Around by the Temptations, Does your Mama Know About Me by Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, Reach Out I'll be There by Diana, In and Out of my Life by Martha, Benjamin by Martha, Voice of the Heart by Diana and The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game by the Marvelettes.

smark21
02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
I really don’t like the way the word “outrage” is being used here. I think there are far more important injustices to be outraged about than the chart position of Motown singles released decades ago. Who cares? If you like the song, just enjoy it and stop being upset that it “only” went to number whatever.

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I believe that what is meant to be is meant to be. I don't believe in the "this [[insert act) should have been bigger, or [[insert song) should have been bigger.

Methuselah2
02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I really don’t like the way the word “outrage” is being used here. I think there are far more important injustices to be outraged about than the chart position of Motown singles released decades ago. Who cares? If you like the loOsong, just enjoy it and stop being upset that it “only” went to number whatever.

If you do a simple Google search, Smark, for the term 'outrage definition', the first thing that pops up is: "An extremely strong reaction of anger, shock, or indignation."

So, it seems like my usage is reasonable. As well--as I know myself--that it was also intended to be ironic. I was merely playing off of the word 'misunderstanding'.

I'm not certain I fully comprehend your palpable 'outrage' over my thread but you're certainly entitled to have it. I do, however, appreciate your response--at least it helps in getting to know each other. At this moment, perhaps.

Maybe it's just a little misunderstanding. And possibly some understanding, too.

144man
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't see the point of getting "outraged" over a turn of phrase in what's obviously just a bit of fun.

I am outraged in a light-hearted way over the lack of success of:
Lonely Lonely Girl Am I - The Velvelettes
Helpless - Kim Weston
Maria [[You Were the Only One) - Jimmy Ruffin
Marionette - The Marvelettes.

I also agree about Brenda's "Just Look What You've Done" and the Contours' "Just A Little Misunderstanding".

RossHolloway
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
What other songs did Joe Stubbs sing lead on for the Contours? Does anyone know the history/details as to why his time with Motown was so short lived?

soulster
02-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Merely personal taste?

I listened to the song. When I think back to 1966, that song just wasn't what was happinin' at that point in time. It sounded dated. Soul music was getting grittier and had more of a groove by then. If you take into account of all the soul songs that did make it big that year, you will hear what I mean.

soulster
02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Agree with Itching and Nothing But Heartaches. They should have been #1's.

You know, I was just considering this a few weeks ago as I listened to it in the car. I think the culprit was the production, you know, the mix. The mono mix had too much compression.

jobeterob
02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I think those 2 songs, Itching and Heartaches, have aged well, and maybe better than other Ross/Supremes songs. Many Ross and Supremes songs have aged fairy well though; perhaps the song that has aged least well to me is Baby Love. But it will always be famous for the Ross "oooh" at the beginning which became a Ross/Supremes/Motown signature.

midnightman
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I have to agree with the song being too outdated to be a huger chart hit.

stephanie
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Misunderstanding would have to be on the top of my outrage list. Other songs on that list would be

the charting of Turn to Stone by the Four Tops I was under the impression it was a huge hit for years when I found out it only charted at number 80 something I was shocked!!! It got tons of airplay. Another Motown outrage is not releasing Mother Dear as a single. Some Things you Never Get used To should have been a much higher charting record I thought it sounded great. Helpless by Kim Weston is a travesty of a record that didnt chart as high as it should have. Im grateful that Nathan Jones did well but it should have been a number one record hands down. Heavenly by the Temptations and Get Ready which only went to 27!!!! Come on now! Destination Anywhere by the Marvelettes didnt have top ten but at least a chance for the top 30. Non Motown outrages would include

Shangri las - Out In The Streets
Gene Pitney - Backstage should have been number one!
Christine Cooper - Heartaches Away My Boy one of the best records Cameo Parkway ever put out I dont know how people didnt hear this record its beyond me.
Sidney Barnes - I Hurt on the Other Side is a great record and its one of the few records I would venture to say should be in a movie soundtrack.

skooldem1
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I wish "Itching" was in a lower key. It took me years to appreciate it. I noticed that it really got the crowds going when Diana would perform it solo [[Central Park).

franjoy56
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
I wish "Itching" was in a lower key. It took me years to appreciate it. I noticed that it really got the crowds going when Diana would perform it solo [[Central Park).

Oh please, Diane did a fantastic job on that lead vocal her high vocals and the way she handled lyrics "get up in the morning, and i'm filled with desire.....is what gave the Supremes an edge no one could handle her sense of timing, whether she sung high or low in this case itching worked in her higher register we US fans loved it especially on the NY stations, wwrl, wabc, wmca

My list hands down:
Love is like an itching in my heart
I Can't Dance to that music your playing [[whether Martha liked the lyrics or not)
Too Many Fish in the Sea
Something About You
Bad Weather
JUst Look What You Done
Get Ready #29
I Got Dance To keep from Crying
UP The Ladder to the Roof #10 with 800,000 copies sold [[oh no)
S.O.S [[Stop her on sight)
Take Me in your Arms and Rock Me Kim W. version.
Nothing But Heartaches
No Matter What Sign You Are
Live Wire.
Can I Get A Witness #22
Floy Joy

thomas96
02-22-2013, 01:03 AM
I agree with "Just A Little Misunderstanding" Great song, that should've been a bigger hit. My "outrage" list would include 100's or 1000's of songs to be honest, since pretty much none of my favorite songs were hits at all, and in my preference there are so many album fillers/b-sides that should be #1's. Well just a few:

Heaven Must Have Sent You-The Elgins
I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying-The Miracles [[already been mentioned but definitely one of my favorite Miracles songs)
I've Passed This Way Before-Jimmy Ruffin
Stubborn Kinda Fellow-Marvin Gaye [[Clear-cut #1 in my opinion)
Just Look What You've Done-Brenda Holloway [[As mentioned)
Bobby Taylor-Oh I've Been Bless'd [[Fantastic song that got literally no attention)
The Originals-Suspicion [[Outrage that Motown didn't put any promotion behind it)
Stevie Wonder-With A Child's Heart [[My favorite song ever. It was a b-side that charted but should've been released on its own. Maybe it was too R&B for the pop charts. The chord progression is very weird and uncommon.)
The Temptations-I Want A Love I Can See [[Paul is THE MAN on this one, great chords and piano riff. Clear #1 in my opinion)

I could list all the songs I think should've been number 1 hits but way too many to list.

luke
02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Great post Methus!! My Outrage list
Heaven Must Have Sent U-Elgins
This Old Heart Of Mine[[should have been way up in top 10)
Just Look What You Don and When Im Gone-top 10
Somethin About You
Just a little misunderstanding
Got to have you back
Just Because I love you
These Things Will Keep Me Loving you
Lonely Lonely Girl Am I
Touch
Hes My Man
I got a feeling-Barbara Randolph

RossHolloway
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE!!!! I CANNOT believe that no one has mentioned this GREAT song! I think if the Temptations had recorded and released this song it would had been a top 10 million seller. The Contours nail this song and the lyrics are some of the best. Not to mention some of the other songs by the group that constantly get overlooked:

Can You Do It
Can You Jerk Like Me
Shake Sherry
Whole Lotta Woman

soulster
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I wish "Itching" was in a lower key. It took me years to appreciate it.

My weird observation has been that people more often respond positively to music that is in a lower key, but that it runs in cycles. As for contemporary pop, we are coming down from a cycle of hits done in a higher key. Now it's gone back down.