PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Stephen J. Cannell - Television Producer 1941- 2010

test

marv2
10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Cannell died September 30, 2010, due to complications associated with melanoma. Below is just a listing of the television programs had involvement in both acting and writing.

21 Jump Street
Adam-12
The A-Team
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Baretta
Booker
Broken Badges
Castle [[as himself)
Chase
Cobra
The Commish
The D.A.
Diagnosis Murder [[acting)
The Duke
The Greatest American Hero
Hardcastle and McCormick
The Hat Squad
Hawkeye
Hunter
J.J. Starbuck
The Last Precinct
Magnum, P.I. [[acting)
The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage
Pacific Blue [[acting)
Palace Guard
Profit
The Quest
Renegade [[also acting)
Richie Brockelman, Private Eye
Riptide
The Rockford Files
The Rousters
Santa Barbara [[acting)
Silk Stalkings [[also acting)
Sonny Spoon
Stingray
Stone
Street Justice
Tenspeed and Brown Shoe [[also acting)
Toma
Top of the Hill
Unsub
Wiseguy

marv2
10-03-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.newstime.co.za/Lifestyle/Stephen_J_Cannell_has_died__/12152/

Stephen J. Cannell has died
Sunday, October 03, 2010 | Comments: 0
TV writer-producer of hit series The Rockford Files,The A-Team and The Commish, Stephen J. Cannell has died.

Cannell aged 69 succumbed to complications associated with melanoma at his home in Pasadena, California on Thursday,Septemeber 30.

Born in Los Angeles on February 5, 1941 he grew up in nearby Pasadena where his parents, Carolyn and Joseph owned a chain of furniture stores.

While struggling with dyslexia he still graduated from the University of Oregon in 1964 with a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism.

After college, Cannell spent four years working with the family business before selling his first script to the Universal series It Takes a Thief in 1968.

This led to a contract with the television production branch of Universal Studios where he began freelance writing series such as Ironside and Columbo.

In all he created or co-created nearly 40 television series.

Because of his dyslexia he frequently had to dictate ideas or even complete scripts to a personal secretary.

Incredibly he continued to write on a typewriter only using a computer for research purposes.

Cannell married his high school sweetheart, Marcia; he "asked her to go steady in the eighth grade". They had two daughters, Tawnia and Chelsea, and two sons, Cody and Derek [[who died tragically in 1981 at age 15).

He leaves behind Marcia, their three children and three grandchildren.

paladin
10-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I still have a couple of his books that I haven't read. Rest In Peace, he was a cool dude.

timmyfunk
10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Out of that list, you can give me:

Baretta
The Rockford Files

R.I.P.

mark speck
10-03-2010, 12:06 PM
His first script was NOT for It Takes a Thief, but for Mission: Impossible. He wrote what is known as a 'spec' script, sent it to the M:I producers, they bought it and commissioned a second script, after which he wrote for It Takes a Thief and began a long association as a writer/story consultant/producer for Universal TV.

I'll have more to say later. RIP, Stephen, and thank you for hours of great TV. :[[

Best,

Mark

mark speck
10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
One thing I see missing from that list: Scene of the Crime, one of the last things his company produced. It was an anthology show a la Alfred Hitchcock Presents, with Cannell hosting each episode. From the early '90s.

His company also was involved in an ill-fated updating of Hawaii Five-O in 1997. The proposed series was to have starred Gary Busey as the new Five-O head, with James MacArthur back as Danno...only this time Danno had become the GOVERNOR of Hawaii!! It never got past a controversial pilot episode that never aired.

Best,

Mark

marv2
10-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Mark, James MacArthur's son is a former classmate of mine and college buddy.

mark speck
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Cool, Marv...I bet he had some stories!!

Best,

Mark

bankhousedave
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
He was a towering figure in US and world TV. Lucky for all of us he realised his genius before they started labelling people dyselxic. Thanks for all the happy hours, Mr Cannell. I thought he was involved in Hill Street Blues too - maybe as a writer.

bankhousedave
10-04-2010, 02:08 PM
OK, so I mistyped dylexic. Wanna make something of it?

mark speck
10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
You have the wrong Stephen for Hill Street Blues, Dave...the HSB guy was Steven Bochco, another prominent producer who also got his start at Universal.

Best,

Mark

marv2
10-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Cool, Marv...I bet he had some stories!!

Best,

Mark

Oh yeah, he had good stories. His Grandma was Actress Helen Hayes.

mark speck
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Miss Hayes and MacArthur did work together on the original Hawaii Five-O...she played his aunt in an episode and garnered an Emmy nomination for the episode.

Best,

Mark

bankhousedave
10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Of course, Mark. Thanks.