PDA

View Full Version : Motown to release a new Hits collection to tie in with Broadway show

test

smark21
02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
http://playbill.com/news/article/175166-Universal-Music-to-Record-Motown-The-Musical-Cast-Album-Original-Compilation-Albums-Also-Planned

jobeterob
02-19-2013, 10:29 PM
February 19, 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Universal Music to Record Motown: The Musical Cast Album; Original Compilation Albums Also Planned

By Adam Hetrick
19 Feb 2013

Brandon Victor Dixon
Brandon Victor Dixon

Universal Music Enterprises will record the cast album of Motown: The Musical, the new Broadway production about the life of music mogul Berry Gordy that features hits from Motown Records.

In anticipation of Motown: The Musical's March 11 Broadway arrival at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, UME will release "Motown Originals: The Classic Songs That Inspired The Broadway Show!" featuring the original recordings that defined the Motown sound. The compilation, which showcases the work of the original Motown artists, will be released in a single-disc and two-disc package. The new musical uses these hits for its score.

The compilation albums will be released digitally March 5 and in stores March 12. Songs featured include "My Girl" [[The Temptations), "Shop Around" [[The Miracles), "I Want You Back" [[The Jackson Five), "Dancing In the Street" [[Martha & the Vandellas), "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[Diana Ross), "Where Did Our Love Go?" [[The Supremes) and "What's Going On" [[Marvin Gaye).

A recording date and release date for the original Broadway cast album of Motown has not announced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

Motown, which is studded with songs made famous by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five, officially opens April 14.

Tony Award nominee Brandon Victor Dixon [[The Color Purple, The Scottsboro Boys) and Valisia Lekae [[Ragtime, The Book of Mormon) will co-star as Gordy and Diana Ross, respectively. Gordy, who also authored the book to Motown, is producing the musical along with Tony winner Kevin McCollum [[Rent, In the Heights, Avenue Q) and Sony Music CEO Doug Morris.

The cast also features Raymond Luke Jr. and Jibreel Mawry sharing the roles of young Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Berry Gordy, with Bryan Terrell Clark as Marvin Gaye and Charl Brown [[Jersey Boys, Sister Act) as Smokey Robinson.

Completing the cast are Morgan James [[Godspell), Saycon Sengbloh [[Fela, Hair), John Jellison [[Memphis) and N'Kenge [[Sondheim on Sondheim), as well as Timothy J. Alex, Michael Arnold, Nicholas Christopher, Rebecca E. Covington, Ariana DeBose, Andrea Dora, Preston W. Dugger III, Wilkie Ferguson, Dionne Figgins, Marva Hicks, Tiffany Janene Howard, Sasha Hutchings, Jawan M. Jackson, Lauren Lim Jackson, Crystal Joy, Jamie LaVerdiere, Grasan Kingsberry, Marielys Molina, Sydney Morton, Maurice Murphy, Jarran Muse, Jesse Nager, Milton Craig Nealy, Dominic Nolfi, Ryan Shaw, Jamal Story, Eric LaJuan Summers, Ephraim Sykes, Julius Thomas III, Daniel J. Watts and Donald Webber, Jr.

According to producers, "Motown tells the gripping story behind the hits as Smokey finds his unique voice, Diana skyrockets to stardom and Berry fights against the odds to turn his improbable dream into a triumphant reality. The music that shattered barriers and shaped our lives finally comes to the Broadway stage in the season's most highly anticipated world-premiere event."

Motown will have scenic design by David Korins, costume design by ESosa, lighting design by Natasha Katz, sound design by Peter Hylenski, projection design by Daniel Brodie, and choreography by Patricia Wilcox [[Blues in the Night) and Warren Adams [["Toy Story"). Motown features arrangements and orchestrations by Ethan Popp, with co-orchestrations and additional arrangements by Bryan Crook, dance arrangements by Zane Mark and music direction by Joseph Joubert. For tickets visit Telecharge.com.

Visit MotownTheMusical.com.

skooldem1
02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
I wonder what the new songs that were written for the show will sound like.

soulster
02-19-2013, 11:32 PM
I will only buy the Jackson 5 set if it contains all of the mono single mixes. Otherwise, I have almost all the Motown I ever need.

marv2
02-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Really? I mean...REALLY?? They are releasing a NEW compliation album featuring all the old songs I've been hearing since I was 5 years old? Great!

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 01:11 AM
This is a marketing tool. It is a tie in for the musical. Why would anyone be surprised at this decision?

calvin
02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Ok, why not. It will help promote the musical and vice versa. Some who will see the show don't already have all the songs from it and will want to pick them up, either before or after seeing it. It's not aimed at most of us in this forum who have multiple copies of these songs.

MotownSteve
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Amazon shows two versions of the disc. A single CD for $9.99 and a 'Special Edition' double CD for 19.99. No track listings.

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Here is a track listing:

There is also a commercial at the end.

Feb202013
"Motown: The Musical" Companion Compilation Due Out in March
Comments Off Share Article

Business WireIn celebration of Berry Gordy's upcoming Broadway production, Motown: The Musical, a new compilation gathering together some of the most memorable tunes to emerge from the famed label will be released next month. Motown Originals: The Classic Songs That Inspired the Broadway Show! will include immortal tunes from The Temptations, The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, The Miracles, The Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye and many more.

A single-CD version and an expanded two-disc edition of Motown Originals will hit stores on March 12, while digital editions will be available for purchase a week earlier.

Written by Gordy, Motown: The Musical tells the story of the rise of the renowned label he founded, while celebrating the artists and songs that have been embraced throughout the world. The play will premiere on April 14 at New York City's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, while previews will start on March 11.

Here is the entire track list of two-CD edition of Motown Originals; *also appears on the single disc release:

Disc 1:
*"Get Ready"-- The Temptations
*"Dancing in the Street" -- Martha & the
Vandellas
"Money [[That's What I Want)" -- Barrett
Strong
*"Shop Around" -- The Miracles
"Stubborn Kind of Fellow" -- Marvin Gaye featuring The Vandellas
"Fingertips" - Part 2 -- Stevie Wonder
*"Please Mr. Postman" -- The Marvelettes
"Two Lovers" -- Mary Wells
"You've Really Got a Hold on Me -- The Miracles
"Do You Love Me" -- The Contours
*"My Guy" -- Mary Wells
*"Where Did Our Love Go" -- The Supremes
"Stop! In the Name of Love -- The Supremes
"Baby I Need Your Loving" -- Four Tops
"Shotgun" -- Junior Walker & the All Stars
"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" -- The Supremes
*"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" -- Marvin Gaye
"War" -- Edwin Starr
*"What's Going On" -- Marvin Gaye
"Ball of Confusion [[That's What the World Is Today)" -- The Temptations

Disc 2:
"Love Child" -- Diana Ross & The Supremes
"Cloud Nine" -- The Temptations
*"For Once in My Life" -- Stevie Wonder
"Who's Lovin' You" -- The Miracles
*"I Want You Back" -- The Jackson 5
"I'll Be There" -- The Jackson 5
"Up the Ladder to the Roof -- The Supremes
*"My Girl" -- The Temptations
*"You're All I Need to Get By" -- Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
"I Hear a Symphony" -- The Supremes
"My World Is Empty Without You" -- The Supremes
"Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)" -- Diana Ross
"Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)" -- Marvin Gaye
"Cruisin'" -- Smokey Robinson
"Brick House" -- The Commodores
"I'm Coming Out" -- Diana Ross
*"All Night Long [[All Night)" -- Lionel Richie
"Super Freak" -- Rick James
"Remember Me" -- Diana Ross
*"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -- Diana Ross

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 12:00PM Music News Group Permalink
in Classic Hits, Oldies

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2013/2/20/motown-the-musical-companion-compilation-due-out-in-march.html#ixzz2LShuzSfc

soulster
02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
...yawn...

marv2
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
...yawn...

You beat me to it! LOL!

A different, better offering in my opinion would be a DVD where all the surviving Motown Artist and Personnel were interviewed about their experience during Detroit days of Motown.

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
The general public does not want to see a DVD of a bunch of senior citizens talking about the good old days. Universal Music Enterprises is releasing the music. They want to cash in on the play. This is a marketing tool.

marv2
02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
The general public does not want to see a DVD of a bunch of senior citizens talking about the good old days. Universal Music Enterprises is releasing the music. They want to cash in on the play. This is a marketing tool.

The general public that would even have any interest in Motown a company who's hey day was over 40 years ago are middle aged and senior citizens. People under 30 don't know and don't want to know much about this old school music~!

thanxal
02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Color me shocked that "Up the Ladder" will be on this set. But yeah, another compilation set...

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
I was surprised at Up the Ladder too.

Recently, another Motown compilation package was #28 on the current Top 200 albums.

With the splash from the musical, Universal needs to cash it; it is expected.

Also, remember, there are people out there still receiving royalties and those royalties have crashed in the last 15 years; they will get a few dollars out of this.

But this isn't something the longtime hardcore fans will want, other than as a souvenir; and I bet a bunch of us will buy this.

This new compilation will chart, I bet in the Top 30.

Go Universal and Motown and the artists and the family. It might be the last hurrah before many more of them are gone.

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I find the feigned outrage to be funny. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows what the purpose of this CD is.

marv2
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Color me shocked that "Up the Ladder" will be on this set. But yeah, another compilation set...

Why? It is perhaps the most popular, most covered song in Motown's history.

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Here is the tracklist for the one CD version.

Oh Marv, stop being jealous about the focus on Diana and Berry. As we keep telling you, Mary is happy, not jealous, and will attend. Get happy with her!!!! It'll feel good.

Motown: The Original Songs That Inspired
MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL

1-CD VERSION

1. Get Ready – The Temptations
2. Dancing In The Street – Martha & the Vandellas
3. Shop Around – The Miracles
4. Please Mr. Postman – The Marvelettes
5. My Guy – Mary Wells
6. Where Did Our Love Go – The Supremes
7. I Heard It Through The Grapevine – Marvin Gaye
8. What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
9. For Once In My Life – Stevie Wonder
10. I Want You Back – The Jackson 5
11. My Girl – The Temptations
12. You’re All I Need To Get By – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
13. All Night Long [[All Night) – Lionel Richie
14. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Diana Ross

marv2
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
I find the feigned outrage to be funny. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows what the purpose of this CD is.

I am sure you don't mean me because I am hardly outraged. My thoughts are "how typical". The purpose of this CD is to bore the shit outta everyone that has been alive longer than 40 years, listened to the radio and know something about music. that's my take.....

marv2
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Here is the tracklist for the one CD version.

Oh Marv, stop being jealous about the focus on Diana and Berry. As we keep telling you, Mary is happy, not jealous, and will attend. Get happy with her!!!! It'll feel good.

Huh? You act as if you and I have had some sort of offline communication. Jealous? Of who and of what? You are convincing me each day that you are completely bizarro!!!!

Ngroove
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Personally *hehehe* I'd say - the proper way of cashing in on such a musical, that could very well re-re-revive and re-re-re-awaken people's awareness, listening, and appreciation of all that is MOTOWN, I'd say, re-release some of Motown's most influential albums, "Where Did Our Love Go", "Temptations Sing Smokey", "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You", "In The Groove", "Hi! We're The Miracles", and many more, in one-disc, un-deluxe format CDs, in biodegradeable packages, so it could be cheap and affordable to all! Mass-sold in not just Best Buys, and FYEs, but also your local area Wal-Marts, Targets, and Meijers, local accessibility = public consumption = $$$$!

Ngroove
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
The general public that would even have any interest in Motown a company who's hey day was over 40 years ago are middle aged and senior citizens. People under 30 don't know and don't want to know much about this old school music~!

Am still under thirty, Motown-listener since my teens, huge part of my life's soundtrack thirteen years now and definitely still counting more than ever, and will be a cold day in heck before I would submit "Adele" or "Rihanna" as "music!".

Just pop in "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie Honeybunch)" and "[[Love Is Like A) Heatwave" alone, and I bet any age would "feel the groove"!

smark21
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I’m sure these two CDs will be out in the lobby for sale before the show, during intermission and afterwards. And if the show is a hit, UMG will make some money on this. Smart marketing. I wonder if the songs included on the two CD comp will be the songs featured in the show? Also it’s nice that UP the Ladder is included, but it makes sense, given the song’s popularity on the glee vocal group world and those who sing glee are likely to be interested in and enjoy Broadway renditions of Motown songs.

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Why is anyone surprised that "Up the ladder" is on this set? It was a nice sized hit for Motown.

marv2
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Am still under thirty, Motown-listener since my teens, huge part of my life's soundtrack thirteen years now and definitely still counting more than ever, and will be a cold day in heck before I would submit "Adele" or "Rihanna" as "music!".

Just pop in "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie Honeybunch)" and "[[Love Is Like A) Heatwave" alone, and I bet any age would "feel the groove"!

Ngroove, you're special and have good taste, however most of those in your age group and younger are not into Motown or the Oldies. You know what I'm sayin'. They don't get into it.

marv2
02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Why is anyone surprised that "Up the ladder" is on this set? It was a nice sized hit for Motown.

It is also sung by college and high school vocal groups, chorals, glee clubs etc ,etc all over the country today.

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I was surprised Up the Ladder was there because I didn't know if the post Diana Supremes would be represented. But perhaps they are just using the song or perhaps they are showing the split that allowed two artists to develop from one and that the hits continued.

soulster
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
I like the song, and it was a huge hit. I don't think anyone cared who was on the record. It just sounded nice. Most people do not give a damn if Ross wasn't on the record.

jobeterob
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I like the song, and it was a huge hit. I don't think anyone cared who was on the record. It just sounded nice. Most people do not give a damn if Ross wasn't on the record.

You're right. You'll even hear radio announcers say it's Diana Ross.

thanxal
02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Why? It is perhaps the most popular, most covered song in Motown's history.
Because it's post-Diana. Unless I've misread the publicity the musical largely centers on Berry and Diana, which makes including "Up" an odd choice. It validates the fact that the Supremes were successful after Diana. I also assumed that Berry would have had a hand in picking the tracks. If not, then I'm not as surprised.

marv2
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Because it's post-Diana. Unless I've misread the publicity the musical largely centers on Berry and Diana, which makes including "Up" an odd choice. It validates the fact that the Supremes were successful after Diana. I also assumed that Berry would have had a hand in picking the tracks. If not, then I'm not as surprised.

He would be one that would know how much money that song "Up The Ladder to the Roof" has generated all these years in performance and licensing fees!

R. Mark Desjardins
02-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Like most other members on this forum I am NOT interested in purchasing any more Motown Greatest hits packages with the same ole' songs. However, when I heard the interview Midnight Johnny had with George and Andy from Hip-O Select, they stated quite plainly that Target and Walmart, two of the very few brick and motar stores where one can purchase a compact disc, they do NOT sell product that is more than 3 or 4 years old, so these kind of "Greatest Hits" compilations must be endlessy updated by "new packaging." Imagine the hassle this makes for companies who must contract out new artwork, liner notes, etc in order to keep their product line looking "fresh."

thanxal
02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Like most other members on this forum I am NOT interested in purchasing any more Motown Greatest hits packages with the same ole' songs. However, when I heard the interview Midnight Johnny had with George and Andy from Hip-O Select, they stated quite plainly that Target and Walmart, two of the very few brick and motar stores where one can purchase a compact disc, they do NOT sell product that is more than 3 or 4 years old, so these kind of "Greatest Hits" compilations must be endlessy updated by "new packaging." Imagine the hassle this makes for companies who must contract out new artwork, liner notes, etc in order to keep their product line looking "fresh."
And don't forget Andy explaining that the sales of these repackaged Hits packages allow them to produce the true opiate, our beloved Expanded Editions, Ultimate Editions, Unreleased Editions, etc. etc. Without the bulk sales from the repackaged drivel, there would be no special editions for us to look forward to [[like I am looking forward to an Expanded Edition of A' Go Go ).

soulster
02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
That is true. These comps are a source of a steady flow of revenue. That's why they keep cranking them out. Unfortunately, to get the average [[non-fan) to buy these things, they have to put the tried and true, tread-worn hits on them.

jobeterob
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
We should have a countdown of which one of us has the most CDs with Baby Love and Marvin's Grapevine and Martha's Dancing in the Street on them.

calvin
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Many people who will see this musical don't already own the music and they'll be happy to purchase this as a sort of souvenir. Universal will make some money, I guess they'll sell many of these every night in the lobby of the theatre as well as online and in stores. Some who buy it will like it enough that they'll want to buy more Motown titles, which is also a good thing. So I see nothing wrong with it, I hope that it sells well and those who purchase it enjoy it.

I won't be buying it, but I'm not their target customer. I never buy these cds unless there are some tracks I don't already have on cd, or if it's a Hip-O remaster, or something like that. There has to be something new for me. But their target customer for this cd wants old hits and not songs from the vault.

1382hitsville
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Let's not forget, how did we get in to Motown?

I'm sure everyone has their own story but we all started with the hits. Good business sense and I hope UME will sell a lot of CD's. Last week I heard the sales of CD's dropped 80% compared with 10 years ago. The scene is changing and the hits generate the money to make the lesser known tracks available.

I just received The Jackson 5, Rare Pearls, what a beauty! Not only the music, but what a beautiful box! Love it.

thanxal
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Let's not forget, how did we get in to Motown?

I'm sure everyone has their own story but we all started with the hits. Good business sense and I hope UME will sell a lot of CD's. Last week I heard the sales of CD's dropped 80% compared with 10 years ago. The scene is changing and the hits generate the money to make the lesser known tracks available.

I just received The Jackson 5, Rare Pearls, what a beauty! Not only the music, but what a beautiful box! Love it.
That is true. My first Motown anything was the early 90s Supremes Greatest Hits CDs. I searched high and low for a CD version of my mother's LP MM2-663. Now I have every Motown LP issued [[save a few early hard-to-find gems), the complete set of the 90s album to CD releases and yet I still bought the British twofers a few years back and continue to buy the HipOselect releases.

Come to think about it I need a new hobby. [[The same goes for Ella Fitzgerald, by the way. I have every LP she ever released). Oh well, music is good.

1382hitsville
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I started with a Dutch Best of CD from The Supremes [[1990) because Dutch TV had a show, "China Beach" and during the opening sequence "Reflections" was used.

Reflections became a top 10 hit, without a video clip, very unusual. The liner notes told the story about Motown and a certain Mr Gordon...It took my interest and I started collecting Motown.

With all the greatest hits, then the Anthologies, Masterseries, then almost the whole Spectrum UK issues and so on...

When Diana Ross performed in the Netherlands [[Symphonica In Rosso) a "best off" CD was released and many, many where sold. I had all the songs, so I gave away the CD and my friends, who did not know much about Diana Ross [[except the hair and diva attitude) where amazed of her talent and bought many more CD's of Diana Ross.

Hopefully this musical [[I'm planning to fly over and see it) will generate a new interest and the CD is a good idea. There are some lesser known Motown stars on it and hopefully this will interest the audience so Motown music is shared with more people.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
It is very interesting reading all the messages from members on this thread. We certainly had our own way coming to hear and love the classic Motown songs, and develop a taste for one particular group. I came across an interesting quote sometime back, maybe even on this site. I don't think many music fans buy recordings because of "Captital, RCA, Atlantic, Warner Brothers, etc collections, but everyone seems to have some idea of what a "Motown" Collection should include. Berry Gordy made a brand and deserves kudos for that. Our lives have all been enriched by this music, and here we are, decades later, still talking and swapping memories and stories about this magical music. That speaks volumes alone!

jillfoster
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I was surprised Up the Ladder was there because I didn't know if the post Diana Supremes would be represented. But perhaps they are just using the song or perhaps they are showing the split that allowed two artists to develop from one and that the hits continued.

The reason "Up The Ladder" is on there is because Harry Weinger is in charge of it, not Suzanne DeAss... So this CD will NOT be like Motown 25, where Jean Terrell... a woman who led the Supremes to sell 10 million records, didn't even rate to have her picture flashed on the screen for two seconds. Marv... this CD doesn't piss me off... it's for the unwashed masses, not us. The Martha set coming out on April 2 is for US... with that entire disc of luscious unreleased gems. I'm DYING to hear how Martha sings "Light My Fire".

Ngroove
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Myself, started around 1999-2000, first Motown music got, bought, had for gifts on Christmases and Birthdays, was the Four Tops Milennium Collection, Temptations Anthology [[Motown Master Series), Stevie Wonder's "A Song Review: Greatest Hits Collection", Diana Ross & the Supremes' Ultimate Collection, and Motown: the Classic Years [[which would later be known as Motown: Gold today).

Not going to get new collection either, as I long have at least six "I Can't Help Myselves", "Shop Arounds", "Dancing In the Streets", "Baby Loves", "What's Going Ons", and handfuls of others, by now, individual artist greatest hits, Hitsville USA Motown Singles Volume 1, Complete Motown Number Ones, even a handful of vinyls, Millenium Collections, and "Motown Year-By-Years".

For "newbies", still could use at least one Gladys Knight and the Pips tune to represent them, and Rare Earth's "I Just Want To Celebrate", that song popularly used in many commercials of late, I'd assume decent....for a starting point.

thomas96
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
] People under 30 don't know and don't want to know much about this old school music~!

Not everyone under 30. I know more about it than a lot of people over 30 do and I'm under 30!

marv2
02-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Not everyone under 30. I know more about it than a lot of people over 30 do and I'm under 30!

Thomas as I a said about Ngroove. You have good taste and evidently an open mind. Mature. These knuckleheads around me [[under 30) like to blast their hiphop, so loud that it shakes the windows in the homes and stores in some neighborhoods around New York. They know nothing about Motown.

thanxal
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Thomas as I a said about Ngroove. You have good taste and evidently an open mind. Mature. These knuckleheads around me [[under 30) like to blast their hiphop, so loud that it shakes the windows in the homes and stores in some neighborhoods around New York. They know nothing about Motown.
I'm sure they said the same thing back in the day when kids were blasting Motown... "These darn kids, why can't they listen to Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman".

jobeterob
02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Rare Earth must have made a few dollars off some of the usages of I Just Want To Celebrate. It seems to be used a lot.

I think it is just fricken great that the Musical is coming out and the CDs are coming out and there is a ton of attention being paid to Motown again. It will be good for Berry and all his artists and writers and producers. Maybe they will all get a little hit of money again; hope so. And maybe this will give Universal the money and some push to put out the kind of CDs that SD fans want to see.

It's clear there are some hurt feelings coming out of Motown over the years. Many Motown artists got over it. Many of them now think they were much better treated than many other record labels treated their artists.

Everyone should put aside those hurt feelings and get behind this and be happy about it and that there is such publicity for it.

soulster
02-21-2013, 08:23 PM
We should have a countdown of which one of us has the most CDs with Baby Love and Marvin's Grapevine and Martha's Dancing in the Street on them.
12 CDs with "Baby Love"
7 CDs with Marvin Gaye's version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"
4 CDswith Gladys Knight & The Pip's version of "I Heard It THrough The Grapevine"
2 CDs with Creedence Clearwater Revival's version of "I Heard It THrough The Grapevine"
1 CDs with Zapp's version of "I Heard It THrough The Grapevine"
12 CDs with Martha & The Vandella's "Dancing In The Street"
2 CDs with van Halen's version of "Dancing In The Street"
5 CDs with "Fingertips" by Little Stevie Wonder
:)

marv2
02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm sure they said the same thing back in the day when kids were blasting Motown... "These darn kids, why can't they listen to Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman".

I don't know how old you are or where you grew up, but it would have been virtually impossible to blast Motown music from a transistor radio which how many of us listened to it outside of the home and on the go.

jobeterob
02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Soulster, I'm going to count tonight. Baby Love and Dancing in the Street could win this one. Perhaps Please Mr. Postman and Fingertips too. Or My Girl and My Girl.

calvin
02-21-2013, 08:52 PM

I guess the parents might have complained, but the neighbours not so much - normal people didn't have high-powered stereos back then, and the radios in cars were nothing like today!

Still it's shocking to me how many people are closed minded when it comes to music made before their own time. So much great music has been recorded through the years [[and composed before recordings began), why limit oneself to what's coming out today?

I've had people tell me that if music is old, it must be boring. On a different topic but a related idea, I have a friend who won't watch movies that are in black & white [[!). He doesn't know [[or even care!) what he's missing!

For me, the heydey of Motown was a bit before my time. The first Motown song that I remember hearing [[on CKLW, I grew up in the Detroit area) and liking when it was new was "Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)." The first Motown LP that I bought was "The Motown Story". It was a limited edition released in 1970 but it was available in the record shops for years and years after that [[whenever we saw it in a store, my brothers would tell me that it was only limited to whatever number Motown could sell!). I loved all the songs on that LP but got tired of hearing the spoken introductions - which run into the start of the songs - over and over again. So I started buying the compilation albums of the "Anthology" series in the mid-70s... That's what I was spending my allowance on.

I love Benny Goodman by the way, and not just the big band stuff - this cd is one of my favourites of his, with Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, and Gene Krupa [[though it seems out of print and expensive now, unfortunately):
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Victor-Small-Group-Master/dp/B00004Z3KE/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1361492611&sr=1-7&keywords=benny+goodman+small+group

calvin
02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Ok you guys have me beat on "Baby Love", I only have it on 8 cds. [[Not counting live, alternate, or German-language versions - or vinyl.)

smark21
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I guess the parents might have complained, but the neighbours not so much - normal people didn't have high-powered stereos back then, and the radios in cars were nothing like today!

Still it's shocking to me how many people are closed minded when it comes to music made before their own time. So much great music has been recorded through the years [[and composed before recordings began), why limit oneself to what's coming out today?

I've had people tell me that if music is old, it must be boring. On a different topic but a related idea, I have a friend who won't watch movies that are in black & white [[!). He doesn't know [[or even care!) what he's missing!

For me, the heydey of Motown was a bit before my time. The first Motown song that I remember hearing [[on CKLW, I grew up in the Detroit area) and liking when it was new was "Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)." The first Motown LP that I bought was "The Motown Story". It was a limited edition released in 1970 but it was available in the record shops for years and years after that [[whenever we saw it in a store, my brothers would tell me that it was only limited to whatever number Motown could sell!). I loved all the songs on that LP but got tired of hearing the spoken introductions - which run into the start of the songs - over and over again. So I started buying the compilation albums of the "Anthology" series in the mid-70s... That's what I was spending my allowance on.

I love Benny Goodman by the way, and not just the big band stuff - this cd is one of my favourites of his, with Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, and Gene Krupa [[though it seems out of print and expensive now, unfortunately):
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Victor-Small-Group-Master/dp/B00004Z3KE/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1361492611&sr=1-7&keywords=benny+goodman+small+group

I think people who reject a song or a movie or a show or a book because it’s “old” or “before their time” or in “black and white” are just showing what closed minded pathetic mental midgets they are.

Ngroove
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM

"Where Did Our Love Go" - 1. Diana Ross & the Supremes - Ultimate Collection, 2) Motown: the Classic Years, 3) The Supremes: Gold, 4) Motown #1s, 5) The Complete Motown Number Ones, 6) Motown Year-By-Year: The Sound of Young America 1964, 7) Body+Soul: Battle of the Groups: the Ladies [[Time Life) = 7 CDs

"Baby Love" - 1. Diana Ross & the Supremes - Ultimate Collection, 2) The Supremes: Gold, 3) The Complete Motown Number Ones, 4) Motown Year-By-Year: The Sound of Young America 1964, 5) Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971 = 5 CDs

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" [[Marvin Gaye) - 1) Marvin Gaye: 20th Century Masters: Millenium Collection Volume 1, 2) Motown Year-By-Year: the Sound of Young America 1968, 3) Marvin Gaye: 3CD Playlist Plus, 4) Motown: the Classic Years, 5) Motown Number Ones, 6) The Complete Motown Number Ones, 7) Hitsville USA: the Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971 = 7 CDs

"Dancing In The Street" - 1) Martha Reeves & the Vandellas: 24 Greatest Hits: Motown Compact Command Performances, 2) Motown: the Classic Years, 3) Hitsville USA: the Motown Singles 1959-1971, 4) The Complete Motown Number Ones = 4 CDs

"My Girl" - 1) Temptations: Anthology [[Motown Master Series), 2) Temptations: Emperors of Soul, 3) Hitsville USA: the Motown Singles 1959-1971, 4) Motown Number Ones, 5) The Complete Motown Number Ones, 6) Motown: the Classic Years = 6 CDs

"I Can't Help Myself [[Sugarpie, Honeybunch)" - 1) Four Tops: Ultimate Collection, 2) Motown Number Ones, 3) The Complete Motown Number Ones, 4) Motown: the Classic Years, 5) Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles 1959-1971 = 5 CDs

Note: I used to have some "Millennium Collections" and "Every Great Motown Song: the First 25 Years: the 1960s" that would contain many of them as well, until they have since been given away, to friends who developed appreciation to Motown as well since.

thanxal
02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't know how old you are or where you grew up, but it would have been virtually impossible to blast Motown music from a transistor radio which how many of us listened to it outside of the home and on the go.
Of course "blasting" is a relative term. I was referring to the general resistance of older generations to the music of younger generations, no matter what kind of music...

thanxal
02-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Not to turn this into the Benny Goodman thread, but the Charlie Christian sessions are fantastic. I have a similar collection on LP.
http://www.amazon.com/Goodman-Sextet-Featuring-Charlie-Christian/dp/B0000026TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361499637&sr=8-1&keywords=Benny+goodman+Charlie+christian

soulster
02-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Ok you guys have me beat on "Baby Love", I only have it on 8 cds. [[Not counting live, alternate, or German-language versions - or vinyl.)

I figured "My Girl" would beat them all, but, no.

This really deserves its own thread now.

calvin
02-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Not to turn this into the Benny Goodman thread, but the Charlie Christian sessions are fantastic. I have a similar collection on LP.
http://www.amazon.com/Goodman-Sextet-Featuring-Charlie-Christian/dp/B0000026TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361499637&sr=8-1&keywords=Benny+goodman+Charlie+christian

Thanks Al, I heard these recordings many years ago and thought they were great, but I didn't buy them and more or less forgot about them since then. Of course all this stuff is in the public domain and widely available, the trick is to find the one with the best sound quality.

calvin
02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
But back to the topic of this thread...

As I wrote, I can understand this compilation, though it's something for the [[very) casual [[beginner) Motown fan. I can also understand compilations on a single performer/group, these can be made for the casual Motown fan and/or the hardcore fan, depending on the tracks chosen. And I can understand compilations of previously unreleased tracks [[such as the Cellarful series) aimed at the hardcore fans.

But there are other compilations that I don't understand, for example this new "38 Pipin' Hot Funk Tracks" [[or whatever) from Spectrum. A topic of this thread:
http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?8030-Motown-Funk-38-Pipin-Hot-Funk-Joints&

Who are they making this for? There are better compilations I would recommend for the casual fan, this one has some slightly obscure tracks [[and as some have commented, many of these tracks are not even funk). At the same time, most hardcore fans will already have most, if not all, of these songs. At first glance I think I have them all except tracks by the Magic Disco Machine, Bottom & Company, and Odyssey, but it doesn't interest me to buy a 2-cd set for these few tracks. I will pass on that cd as well.