PDA

View Full Version : The Diana Ross Project - What are her 5 best ballad performances?

test

jobeterob
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
THE DIANA ROSS PROJECT
A TRACK-BY-TRACK ANALYSIS OF THE DIVA'S DISCOGRAPHY
Main menuSkip to contentHomeMY PLACE: About Me/ContactPost navigation← Older postsFeb

Happy [[Belated) Valentine’s Day!

It’s a few days late — but Happy V-Day to Diana fans around the world! If there’s any holiday that seems to fit in with the career of Diana Ross, let’s face it, it would have to be Valentine’s Day — is there anyone alive who can tug at the heart and interpret a lyric of love like The Boss?

So, in honor of the day [[and in absence of anything new to post about — I think I’ve just about covered her solo career!) — let’s talk about Diana’s romantic, lush ballad performances. Here’s the question — what are the top 5 best ballad performances in the Diana Ross solo discography?

Questions like this are maddening, due to the volume of work recorded by Diana Ross as a solo artist between 1970 and today. And, of course, as fans — our “favorites” are always changing. That’s the great thing about Diana’s work — as we grow, she grows with us, and thus new songs become important and personal. That said, since I’m posing the question, I guess I have to take a crack at it. So – as of this very moment, these are the five ballads I would say display Diana Ross at her best vocally; they are works of art that more than stand the test of time, and which easily reveal her as a singer of enormous skill and artistry. [[Note: Each one is linked to the original post on which it appears, and I’ve pasted in a few comments from my original reviews of each song.)

1) Missing You: “This is, simply, one of the great R&B ballads of the decade; again, that it garnered no Grammy nominations at all seems baffling now, especially given that the song which followed it at #1 on the charts, “Nightshift” by the Commodores [[coincidentally also dedicated to the late Marvin Gaye) won one for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group. Still, it gets my vote for the best ballad performance of Miss Ross’s career, and remains definitive proof that she’s among the very best pop and soul singers of all time.”

2) To Love Again: ”I’d also say that Diana’s singing of the words “to love again” at 2:19 [[when she takes them an octave higher than she had earlier in the song) is one of the single most beautiful moments in a Diana Ross recording; her delicate, crystal clear reading of the words, and her four-note improv following them, combine with the soaring strings of the instrumental track to create a breathtaking musical interlude.”

3) Be A Lion: “…perhaps the most thrilling moment here is Diana’s reading of the lyric, “You’re the bravest of them all,” during which she nearly screams out the words, belting higher than she had in years [[probably since the Surrender album). Not only is she belting out the notes, but she sounds great doing it; there’s a power here that many people are unaware exists in her abilities, and she nails the notes spot-on.”

4) Little Girl Blue: “There’s a complexity here, a subtlety that hints at an entire story happening beneath the surface of the lyrics, that makes it a compelling listen. This kind of subtle shading is something Diana Ross is so good at that it’s too often taken for granted or, unfortunately, completely overlooked…which is a real shame. This is a masterpiece.”

5) Summertime: “Diana Ross becomes one of the instruments here, gliding along as easily as the string and wind instruments accompanying her. This is a song with a challenging melody; like 1977′s “To Love Again,” it never allows for Miss Ross to oversing, lest she become completely tangled up in the words and kill all emotion. Thankfully, Miss Ross is a singer for whom subtlety comes naturally, and her performance is one of emotional complexity disguised in simplicity.”

This was tough; there are several “honorable mentions,” among them “Let Somebody Know” from Take Me Higher and “Always and Forever” from I Love You. There are also much lesser-known gems like “All The Befores” [[Surrender) and “What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?” [[from the Everything Is Everything Expanded Edition) that arguably deserve a place. And what about big hits like “Endless Love” and “Theme From Mahogany” — certainly those are among the best, too.

Anyway, now it’s your turn — what are your top 5 Diana ballads?

captainjames
02-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Touch Me In The Morning
One More Chance
Come In From The Rain
After You
Friend to Friend

RossHolloway
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
To Love Again [[unreleased version)
Reach Out [[I'll Be There)
Endless Love [[solo version)
Stay With Me
I Thought It Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)

Runner ups:

I Won't Last A Day Without You
All for One

sophisticated_soul
02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Your Love
One Shining Moment
Summertime
Cross My Heart
All The Befores

rovereab
02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Your Love - this live vocal is even better than the studio version IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUg71h3_LVk
Summertime
Someone That You Loved Before
I Thought We Were Still In Love

gordy_hunk
02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
1 - I'm still waiting
2 - Reachout I'll be there
3 - Can't it wait until tomorrow
4 - Just say, just say [[with Marvin Gaye)
5 - All the befores

sophisticated_soul
02-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Your Love - this live vocal is even better than the studio version IMO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUg71h3_LVk

Thank you very much for the link rovereab. I hadn't seen this before. It's such a beautiful version of this wonderful song.:)

rovereab
02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Thank you very much for the link rovereab. I hadn't seen this before. It's such a beautiful version of this wonderful song.:)

I was amazed at how much better this live vocal is. Absolute class!

jobeterob
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
1. Summertime
2. I Thought We Were Still in Love
3. Stay With Me
4. I Never Loved A Man Before.
5. After You

revvy
02-19-2013, 09:19 PM
One could also add, "If We Hold On Together!"

smark21
02-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Summertime
Come In from the Rain
Too Shy to Say
Blame it on the Sun
Little Girl Blue [[from the Stolen Moments concert CD)

luke
02-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Missing You
Its My Turn
I thought it took a little time
One Love in my lifetime

Ryon6
02-20-2013, 12:10 AM
In no particular order -

Gone
Reach Out I'll Be There
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
After You

Tyrone

jack020
02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
All The Befores
I thought It Took A little Time
When You Tell Me That You Love Me
Home
To Love Again

masterblaster
02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
"In Your Arms " - stunning vocals and better than the Whitney Hoiston version.

RossHolloway
02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Wow, I like that so many people have listed I Thought It Took A Little Time. I would love to hear Diana do a live version of this song.

luke
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Of course--Aint No Mt High Enough

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
With so many recordings by Diana, it is impossible for me to name only 5. I love ballads as much as uptemp songs, so it's tough. Some of my favorites are:

Soon as I get home
I'm in the world
Confide in Me
I thought it took a little time
Never say I don't love you

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
another set of 5 would include:

It's hard for me
It's my turn
Missing you
I'm watching you
Love Lies

skooldem1
02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
I also like:

Where did we go wrong
Let somebody Know
Gone
All for one
Believe in yourself

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
You guys make a person think..........and I forgot some of my favorites:

Sparkle [[from the Boss)
Cant Get Started With You [[from Blue)
Let's Do It
Solitude
What A Diff'rence A Day Makes

alanbill1074
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Very difficult this one. Diana is one of the only artists I can remotely tolerate ballads from:

1 - If We Hold On Together
2 - Never Say I Don't Love You
3 - More & More
4 - Summertime
5 - Still In Love

Special mentions to I'm Still Waiting, Missing You, Reach Out And Touch, Reach Out I'll Be There and Love Me, which I have heard so many times they lost their edge a bit.

Methuselah2
02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Just 5? That is difficult, I agree. But right now, here's what I'd want to listen to:

· Summertime
· Don't Explain [[performed live on concert stage)
· He Holds His Own [[w/Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard)
· When You Tell Me That You Love Me [[performed live on The Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson)
· I'm In Love Again [[w/ Mary Wilson & Florence Ballard)

rovereab
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
One could also add, "If We Hold On Together!"

How could I have overlooked this great song in my list above!

davidh
02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
wow this is hard, THOUGHT WE WERE STILL IN LOVE
SUMMERTIME
MORE AND MORE
NEVER SAY I DONT LOVE YOU
THOUGHT IT TOOK A LITTLE TIME BUT TODAY I FELL IN LOVE
and WHERE DID WE GO WRONG from Ross 78
COME IN FROM THE RAIN
TO LOVE AGAIN

davidh
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
now i want to go and listen to ALL these songs.think u started something

RossHolloway
02-20-2013, 05:12 PM
To Love Again [[alt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ds02Kszzvw

RossHolloway
02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm always amazed when I see pics of D. Ross that I haven't seen before and this video clips has several that I'd never seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaEnmJxW5E

Methuselah2
02-20-2013, 07:56 PM
And who could forget the way Diana sings the word 'forever' in ENDLESS LOVE?

Or her rendition of RIBBON IN THE SKY in Central Park?

jobeterob
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Then there is Diana's version of this song; not my favorite song at all; but done by her in this way, it is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqa3eWQxrqw

Motown Andy
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I wasn't going to do it. I couldn't. I came up with 30 songs and kept coming up with more. Picking 5 was like saying you like these children over those. After wrestling with this for the last hour, I've decided to post the 5 I can't live without [[at this very moment).

1. When You Tell Me That You Love Me
2. Tell Me Again
3. If We Hold On Together
4. Too Shy To Say
5. That's Why I Call You My Friend

Meanwhile 25 others are waiting to be played. And that's not counting the top up-tempo, mid-tempo and, I need to stop now.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
In The Ones You Love

I think I'm in trouble now...

BayouMotownMan
02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
It's My Turn
Missing You
I Thought It Took A Little Time
Where There Was Darkness
Brown Baby

nomis
02-20-2013, 10:44 PM