PDA

View Full Version : Mary might not make it to Broadway

test

skooldem1
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
While reading up on the Motown musical, I came across this. Seems as if the beautiful and talented Tony Award winning Leslie Uggams is in the process of trying to get her own Lena Horne project [[Stormy Weather) to Broadway. I know that Mary and Leslie are friends. If it does make it on Broadway, maybe Mary can take over the role when Leslie is done. Or maybe she can be the understudy.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/175039-Stormy-Weather-The-Lena-Horne-Story-Hopes-for-a-Broadway-Bow-in-Late-2013

bradsupremes
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I believe these are two different shows. Mary's Lena Horne show with James Gavin is based on Gavin's book "Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne." It is more of a musical revue with Mary singing and James reading from parts of his book to tell her story. Leslie's show is, I believe, an actual musical play that she starred in several years ago. Although their titles are essentially the same with one being Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project and the other Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Story; they are two different shows set up for two different venues.

skooldem1
02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
There are fans who had hoped Mary's project would eventually come to Broadway.

marv2
02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
There are fans who had hoped Mary's project would eventually come to Broadway.

I don't who they were, but I know Mary does a fantastic job in James Gavin's production. Their show has been all over the country and was just in Michigan last week.

stalebagel
02-18-2013, 06:44 PM
You are 100 per cent right Marv. We saw the show in Taylor, Michigan on February 8 and Mary was just as fantastic as ever. The jazz trio was great and so was James Gavin, the author of the book on which the play is based and who is the narrator.
The show will be in Baton Rouge at LSU on March 9. If you are within a 300 mile driving radius, I guarantee that the show will be worth your while. Don't miss it!
And Miss Maxine Powell even braved the nasty weather to come out to see Mary -- and she, like the packed-to-capacity audience, enjoyed every second of the show.
Is it ready for Broadway? Maybe even more than a couple of other shows heading that way.

marv2
02-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Al, I wished I could have been there. I heard it was a great show.... [[Here's a shot of Mary from a recent performance.)

stephanie
02-21-2013, 09:49 PM
marv thanks for that pic. Stalebagel thanks for validating how good Ms Wilson is in this performace. Great pic of Mary Im sure she does a great job.