PDA

View Full Version : Fyi: Download captured live on stage

test

Kamasu_Jr
02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
The Farewell album or Captured Live will be available as a download. I guess the future is here and this will be another way to obtain Motown releases. Let's see some on the Originals, Jr. Walker, The Four Tops On Broadway, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Captured-Live-On-Stage/dp/B00BEYSTEU/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1361204673&sr=1-14&keywords=motown

Also coming Temptations Together Again: Not one of their essentials, but Motown from the 1980s.

calvin
02-18-2013, 12:54 PM
I think this is very good, especially for those titles which are so hard to find that used copies go for extremely high amounts. The Temptations Solid Rock also appeared as an mp3 download recently:
http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Rock/dp/B00B2048KU/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359279746&sr=301-1

Another title Universal could consider would be Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "What Love Has Joined Together" and, as you mention, The Originals "Portrait of the Originals."

Of course, I'd prefer to see these remastered and issued by Hip-O on cd, but this provides an alternative until that happens.

But I don't see these titles on Amazon UK. In case anyone from Universal reads this, could you please also make these mp3's available in the UK? Even better, could you please make them available as *LOSSLESS* downloads, say on 7digital [[which does offer some lossless downloads), in the UK?

I'm guessing that these are just the same masters used when these were last issued on cd. So I wouldn't expect to see The Originals' "Naturally Together" or "Def.I.Ni.Tions" issued in this way, since they [[as far as I know) were never issued on cd so probably never digitally mastered. I'm still hoping that Hip-O will issue a set of remasters covering The Originals.

Kamasu_Jr
02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
You're right Calvin. These downloads will work for Motown titles that may not have been strong sellers in the first place or the really obscure stuff from 1963...Since the public domain rule in the UK has been changed. I didn't know I couldn't download music on Amazon.Com UK. And I gotta add the Motown downloads sound better than most others.

RossHolloway
02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm all for downloads!!!

calvin
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm all for downloads!!!

I agree. In this digital / internet age, there's no reason why a title previously issued on cd should be hard to find. I can understand why a music company wouldn't want to print up new batches of cds that perhaps didn't sell well the first time, but it should be easy and inexpensive to make them available as digital downloads.

I had quite limited funds in the early 1990s, so I didn't buy these titles when they were originally released. In recent years, I've picked up many of them new or used at reasonable prices. But I won't pay big $$$ for used copies of these. For example, much as I'd like to have it, I won't pay $100 for a copy, new or used, of "Portrait of the Originals". But I would pay a normal, reasonable price for an mp3 download of that. And I'd pay some extra above the mp3 price for a lossless flac download.

soulster
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
You all know what I am going to say: it is very unfortunate that most downloads are lossy. They literally do not have all the sound that was originally there, and it is audible.

If lossy files will be the only way to get things in the future, I may as well quit buying music.

thanxal
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I agree with soulster. I have the "Farewell" LP box set and the "Captured Live" 2disc CDs. Each time they reissue on the newest format, the sound quality suffers. The digital files sound worse than the CDs which sound worse than the LPs. The exception are some of the recent Hip-O releases. The "I Hear a Symphony" set sounds remarkably better than the LPs or the early 1990s CD releases.

RossHolloway
02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
@soulster - well the days of vinyl are long in the past and compact disc aren't that far behind. Computer technology is constantly and quickly evolving. Just take a look around at daily life and look at all the things that did not exist 10 years ago or 20 years ago. I've downloaded quite a bit of music the past 5 or so years and I've personally never had an issue with the sound quality of anything that I've purchased. Do we live in a perfect world? No. Could the sound quality perhaps be better? For some listeners perhaps. But the dowload train has left the station and is not returning. Better jump on board and enjoy the ride.

thanxal
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh has plenty of vinyl for all my needs. There is an especially large section of Soul and a huge section for the Supremes. I even found a copy of "Meet the Supremes" there. There is no need to ever leave the past ;)

soulster
02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

What's the point of reissuing vintage, collectible music if all there is, is lossy files? I can dig lossless/hi-rez, but not lossy.

Ross,

I think the eulogies for the CD are jumping the gun. Its demise is far off. But, I will say one thing: start buying used CDs! They are cheap and plentiful right now because of all those idiots dumping their collections after ripping them to lossy files. Get 'em now before they realize what a mistake they made and try to buy them all back!

Also, vinyl hasn't gone anywhere! I don't know where you hang out, but vinyl, especially used vinyl, is going very strong. Sure, it's still nowhere near CD or loddy downloads, but it never went away.

By threads about HD Tracks have sunk to the bottom of this forum, but I post about them. I definately buy downloads. I buy hi-rez and the occasional 320 kbps lossy file from 7 Digital. I HATE iTunes with a passion!

calvin
02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I agree with soulster that it's a shame that lossless downloads are only rarely available. I hope this will change.

I buy physical cds except when non-existent [[eg Motown Unreleased 1962) or when the physical cd is out of print and used copies are too expensive. In the latter case, a lossless download would be great - I wouldn't have the liner notes but at least the music quality would be the same as the cd. Unfortunately, I don't have that choice - it's buy it as a lossy download or not at all.

It's not ideal, but still I find it good that these downloads are being made available.

calvin
02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
@soulster - I do buy a LOT of used cds, you are right - it's amazing what titles you can get for less than two or three quid [[including shipping!) from Amazon UK.

But regarding the Motown titles - there are still a few older cds that I never managed to pick up because they're simply too expensive to buy used, for example "Solid Rock" by the Temptations. Though not ideal, I'd rather buy a lossy download of that for £8 than a used cd for over £100.

mysterysinger
09-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Still available in the UK to download http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captured-Live-Stage-Diana-Supremes/dp/B00LJM3TUQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1409699178&sr=1-4&keywords=diana+ross+and+the+supremes