PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelettes - Too Many Fish in the Sea [[acapella)

test

midnightman
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-XdUaVPis

mowest
10-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I never understood why this wasn't a top ten record. One of the Marvelettes' very best!

RossHolloway
10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Mowest- I agree, I never understood why this song didnt chart higher. I think it may have been released around the same time as a Supreme record was breaking and may not have been pushed too hard. But the acapella version really shows just how strong Glady's vocals were. I can't tell if it's the other Marvelettes in the background or the Andantes. Either way it's a great, great song. One of my favorites. I wonder if there are any live versions floating around out there..

mowest
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
You're right, RossHolloway. "Come See About Me" entered Billboard's chart one week after "Too Many Fish" did. But that still shouldn't have prevented the latter from making it higher than #25. Great song, outstanding vocals and super production.

splanky
10-03-2010, 06:28 AM
It's a great song and Gladys sang the mess outta it but I don't get calling tunes "acapella versions" that are really only
audio tracks with the instruments digitally removed. Isn't that what this is? Correct me if I'm wrong...

westgrandboulevard
10-03-2010, 06:55 AM
RossHolloway

Yes, a great, great song/recording.

I think it is all Marvelettes on that recording....and I'd say the voices in order are.... "short ones [[Gladys), "tall ones " [[Katherine), "fine ones" [[Georgeanna), "kind ones "[[Wanda)

RossHolloway
10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Was this song ever covered by any other Motown group during the '60's besides EVD? I wonder how the Velvelettes or Martha & The Vandellas would have handled the song? Or even Marvin Gaye or The Temps with David on lead..bet it would have been something. OR the Isley's doing a version in late 66 or '67. Bet they would have blown the song up!

midnightman
10-05-2010, 04:14 AM
I think some mod groups in England covered the song. I know Phil Collins recently covered it.