PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have information on where some Motowner's are now?

test

thomas96
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Like Jimmy Ruffin, Ivy Jo Hunter, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Mickey Stevenson, or any other songwriter/singer/musician [[Funk Brother) that may be performing now or any information at all on them, or any projects they are working on, etc.? I would absolutely love to see some of these guys/girls perform live, or hear new material--especially Jimmy Ruffin.

Also, does anyone have any idea if Stevie Wonder is going to do a tour soon? He seems to be doing a few shows a year but all festival type shows with many other artists. Really would like to see him live.

woodward
02-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Like Jimmy Ruffin, Ivy Jo Hunter, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Mickey Stevenson, or any other songwriter/singer/musician [[Funk Brother) that may be performing now or any information at all on them, or any projects they are working on, etc.? I would absolutely love to see some of these guys/girls perform live, or hear new material--especially Jimmy Ruffin.

Also, does anyone have any idea if Stevie Wonder is going to do a tour soon? He seems to be doing a few shows a year but all festival type shows with many other artists. Really would like to see him live.

The whereabouts of Jimmy Ruffin is mystifying. There were reports several years ago he was living in the UK, later reports indicated that he was living in Las Vegas but this was never confirmed by Motown enthusiasts who live in LV and know all the Motown artists living and working there. The last report I heard is that he was living in Detroit and prior to the PBS special An Evening With Berry Gordy there were published stories about the upcoming special that he would be making an appearance. I have confirmed that this appearance never occurred. I am wondering if his recording career is OVER. No signs of anything upcoming on him. I just hope he is alive and resurfaces sometime. He was truly great.

luke
02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Brenda Holloway makes appearances and lives in Califronia. Jimmy Ruffin's son indicated his dad has problems.

thomas96
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I agree I would love for him to show up. Do you know of the Motown artists living and working in LV? As for his son saying he has problems, did he specify them at all? Seems bad if he's basically just gone from the public sight, though maybe he's just fine and wants to live a quiet life. Regardless, I wish him the best wherever he is.

marv2
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Billy Griffin and G.C. Cameron are sometimes chat buddies of mine.

luke
02-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Mary Wilson lives in Las Vegas. The son did not specify. I got the impression it was mental health issues but Im not positive.

thomas96
02-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Mary Wilson lives in Las Vegas. The son did not specify. I got the impression it was mental health issues but Im not positive.

Oh, thats sad if that's the case. Did you speak with his son personally, or was it an interview or something?

1382hitsville
02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
In 2009 Jimmy made was on TV in the UK [[Later with Jools Holland). Could this be his last performance? I hope not, as you can hear, he still has the voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfUZ9QfXuQ

thomas96
02-19-2013, 05:09 PM
In 2009 Jimmy made was on TV in the UK [[Later with Jools Holland). Could this be his last performance? I hope not, as you can hear, he still has the voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfUZ9QfXuQ

Great find! He looks very healthy for his age, and he sounds fantastic! I really wish he'd come out and do a U.S. tour. From what I've found out, it seems he is living in the UK with his son, but it hasn't been confirmed.

mellow_q
02-19-2013, 05:31 PM
I briefly spoke with Jimmy Ruffin a few times last spring. This was after TV One did the Unsung on his brother. At the time, he was living in Vegas. I wanted to interview him for A Touch of Classic Soul. After initialy agreeing to do it, he changed his mind; not wanting to reveal anything he may want to include later in a book about David he's thinking about writing.

I wished him well.

Marc T.

marv2
02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh, thats sad if that's the case. Did you speak with his son personally, or was it an interview or something?

Smokey and Gladys Knight also live in Vegas. I read somewhere that a big group of them invested in a big soul food restaruant, Mary and Otis Williams are among the investors.

marv2
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
William Guest of Gladys Knight & the Pips still lives in Michigan.

luke
02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
It was an interview. Hey Marc, when is the next issue coming out?

mellow_q
02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
@Luke: Within a week.

luke
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Yayyy--the best music publication around!!

mellow_q
02-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Yayyy--the best music publication around!!

Thanks bro!

marybrewster
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM

thomas; are you on Facebook? Many of the artists you mention have pages; and many accept "fans" as "friends".

thomas96
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
thomas; are you on Facebook? Many of the artists you mention have pages; and many accept "fans" as "friends".

No, I'm not currently, though I guess I really should be. It seems everyone at my work is on it, and all musicians [[not just famous, but local too) are on it. My band members keep insisting that we make a page, I've been saying no reason to. Thanks.

marv2
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Robert Bateman is still in Detroit.

motownmorph1
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
that performance on Jools was at the time in 2009 was when Jimmy Ruffin was appearing on one those David Gest tours, along with a host of other soul & Motown acts.

morph

stephanie
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
How come Bateman never talks about Florence Ballard and his production of hers?

revvy
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Cindy Birdsong is retired from show business, was a minister at one point and lives in the Los Angeles area. She is 73 years old now. Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne also live in Los Angeles. Susaye Greene...not so sure. I believe Dennis Edwards lives in Saint Louis.