PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Label - Gamble & Huff

test

snakepit
02-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Hello,
Does anybody know if there a CD compilation of Gamble and Huff's "Neptune " label out there....or any plans to issue one.
Of the ones I've heard, It would be a great collection of tunes.
Thanks

jsmith
02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Seem to recall a CD with all the O'Jays Neptune tracks on it [[about 20 years ago) but don't think other artist's tracks on the label have escaped on CD.

daddyacey
02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a vinyl copy of that release. The O'Jays From The Beginning. It was released in 1984 ,with 11 tracks from the Neptune label. It's on the Chess label but the address on the cover is 96 West Street ,Englewood ,N.J.
That's the address for All Platinum Inc. , distributed by MCA.

snakepit
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for info.
I had the O'Jays in Philadelphia vinyl LP, and copied to Cd-r.
The Best of O'Jays CD contains some of the Neptune.
I had several 45s including Bunny & Cindi, Corner Boys, Ojays etc.
Were they distributed by Chess? and who owns all this stuff now?

Soul Sister
02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
YES!!! I had all the O'Jays Neptune output back in the day, 'some' of their best work!!!

S.S.

MIKEW-UK
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FbTRaC648
For me, the track that set the standard for the Philly Sound - the vocals, the arrangement, the instrumentation, the format, in much the same way as to me the epitome of the Motown sound is "This Old Heart Of Mine" by the Isley Brothers. Neither can be improved upon, both are the perfect examples of their respective styles......

MIKEW-UK
02-17-2013, 05:21 PM
And here's the O'Jays performing Deeper [[In Love With You) , a Neptune release, on soultrain. What I do notice is that their costumes are the same as they wore on Soultrain when Backstabbers came out on Phil Intl.......

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fide_the-o-jays-deeper-in-love-with-you_music#.USFIc6FN6hg

MIKEW-UK
02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Backstabbers ....wonder if it was the same show in which they spanned both Neptune and Phil Intl material? The backgrounds strongly suggest it is the same show....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6h1BV7FZqs

Kamasu_Jr
02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for info.
I had the O'Jays in Philadelphia vinyl LP, and copied to Cd-r.
The Best of O'Jays CD contains some of the Neptune.
I had several 45s including Bunny & Cindi, Corner Boys, Ojays etc.
Were they distributed by Chess? and who owns all this stuff now?

I'm not an expert on Philadelphia music, but I think at one point Neptune was distributed by Chess Records. There was talk about a disc of early Gamble & Huff productions on Neptune and Gamble Records, but it never happened. I don't know who owns the Neptune masters. I assume G&H. I prefer the earlier stuff to that which came out on Philadelphia International/CBS. I thought most of the O'Jays Neptune recordings were included on the O'Jays In Philadelphia album.

daddyacey
02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
http://www.45cat.com/label/neptune-us

dvdmike
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
On "From The Beginning", the running times are longer than the tracks on "The O'Jays In Philadelphia." From what I understand, after Leonard Chess died, his son Marshall decided to continue releasing Neptune singles for another two years before dropping the label from Chess' distribution.

nabob
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a vinyl copy of that release. The O'Jays From The Beginning. It was released in 1984 ,with 11 tracks from the Neptune label. It's on the Chess label but the address on the cover is 96 West Street ,Englewood ,N.J.
That's the address for All Platinum Inc. , distributed by MCA.The cover scan is from an MCA budget CD release with no annotations.
1. One Night Affair
2. You're the Best Thing Since Candy
3. Branded Bad
4. Losing My Touch
5. I Should Be Your Lover
6. Deeper In Love With You
7. Let Me In Your World
8. I Can't Get Enough
9. I've Got the Groove
10. There's Someone Waiting [Back Home]
11. It's Too Strong

daddyacey
02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
The LP has the same track listing in that order.

I found out that Chess was sold to GRT in 1970. GRT was later sold to All Platinum/Sugar Hill Industries who in turn was aquired by MCA.

mark speck
02-18-2013, 01:35 AM
Pretty certain that the Japanese label P-Vine released a Neptune comp some time ago...that would be pretty pricey, I would imagine?

Best,

Mark

Soul Sister
02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
This re-issue cover/jacket is misleading, actually the Imperial tracks would have been from the beginning. This is from the Philadephia album.

S.S.

snakepit
02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Many thanks for all replies.

"Looky Looky" and "Deeper" were MASSIVE sounds at Manchester's Pendulum club around 1972.....
Always loved "Let Me in your world"..

snakepit
02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Daddyacey
thanks for that discog......

I thought there were more on the label....at some stage I had about 80% of those 45s.
I've got most of these in some format....could make my own CD-r!!!

http://www.45cat.com/label/neptune-us

144man
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
One of my favourites, "Taboo" by the Indigos, is on Youtube. I still have a near-complete collection.

alanh
02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Here's another discography that's a little more complete:
http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/neptune.htm

144man
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
From memory, I'm only missing singles from N-32 onwards. I wasn't buying albums then.

snakepit
02-19-2013, 08:19 AM
That label listing suggests a CD compilation would be most welcome.

manny
02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Hello to everybody!

How I have "dreamed" on a complete CD box edition with ALL the Neptune - Gamble - North Bay and some TSOP rarities on 45's issue [[apart from, of course, previously unissued stuff)!!

The last time I was "optimistic" on this question was when the PIR 40th Anniversary 10 CD's Box set was published and there was the "promise" of a new CD plus DVD with pre-PIR stuff... By now, we the phillysound lovers should to take it easy, friends.

I keep also my vynil copy of the Chess / Nepyune "From The Beginin" that I found in Barcelona in the mid 80's little after than the Liberty / Stateside compilation "Working In Your Case". What two collections of pure soul! But, finally I have practically all The O'Jays stuff from this era [[and until "Hearbreaker" Emi CD, all the albums). So I'm also interested in some other good stuff on Gamble [[Oliver Bush, Cruisers), Neptune [[Linda Jones, Vibrations), North Bay [[Louise Williams) and some gospel realises on TSOP [[Ted Wortham, the two TSOP gospel albums,...) that were interesting to re-issue... to dream is FREE :-)

Finally, about the relation betwen Chess - Neptune - All Platinum, I think had something related with the "Moments meets The O'Jays" LP [[?). [[I have heard it "on line" and dislike this LP, except The Moment's track "Sugar, Sugar").

Cheers to all from Spain!