PDA

View Full Version : Janis Gaye not happy with Marvin play

test

stingbeelee
02-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Gaye's second wife calls play 'completely and utterly exploitative'
By Susan Whitall
Detroit News Music Writer

The play "My Brother Marvin," which opened Tuesday at the Fisher Theater and continues through Sunday, has exposed fault lines within the surviving family of the late Motown singer Marvin Gaye.

After a storied career and many hits at Motown — Gaye recorded the label's most popular single, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" — the singer was caught in a downward spiral of drug abuse and emotional turmoil in the late 1970s. His career perked up in 1983 with the single "Sexual Healing," but a year later he was shot and killed by his elderly father after a fight over insurance papers.

Gaye remains one of the most popular of the classic Motown artists with younger generations, thanks in part to the timelessness of his poetic, era-defining "What's Going On."

His younger sister, Zeola Gaye, 67, wrote a memoir that forms the basis of "My Brother, Marvin," which was scripted by Angela Barrow-Dunlap. As Zeola told The Detroit News last week, the play is about "Marvin, the man behind the music. You know the Motown star, but you don't know the man."

Gaye's second wife, Janis Hunter Gaye, who goes by Jan, isn't happy about the play. "I saw the TV ad that's airing in Detroit, and the first thing you see is, bang! 'Singer Marvin Gaye Shot Dead!' To me, that's ghoulish," Jan said. "It's morbid, it's a fascination with his murder and completely and utterly exploitative. It pulls in the kind of audience that I don't think deserves that. These are people who loved Marvin, and they're not going to get what they deserve."

She resents the implication that the play is endorsed by Gaye's family.

"[[Zeola) puts it out there that the family sanctions this whole thing, and it's not true," said Jan, 57. "Her portion of the family does. But do they reach out to his children? Not at all. To hear Zeola tell it, we hardly exist.

"How about showing what a great brother he was, and hey, you should listen to this fantastic music."

Gaye had an adoptive son, Marvin III, with his first wife, Anna Gordy Gaye [[sister of Berry Gordy). Marvin III has been vocal about his father's legacy, calling on Lenny Kravitz to drop plans to portray Gaye in a film. Most recently he's been exchanging angry messages with his aunt Zeola via Twitter over the play.

Marvin Gaye and Jan had two children — singer/actress Nona, 38, and Frankie, 37. Last week, Zeola said this version of her play has new information about long-simmering family issues that led up to the shooting, gleaned from journals she and her sister, Jeanne, recently discovered. She says the journals were written in the 1980s by her parents [[both died years ago).

Jan is skeptical. "Marvin has been dead for 30 years. If you had this, why didn't you reveal it before?"

The 40th anniversary of her first meeting with Gaye is within weeks. It was in March 1973, when Gaye was recording "Let's Get It On," that he met Janis Hunter.

The 17-year-old moved in with him almost immediately, and it was a mini-scandal within Motown circles, because Gaye was still married to Anna. As a Gordy brother-in-law, there were certain expectations.

Gaye legally separated
But he was legally separated from Anna at the time he took up with Jan, she takes pains to point out. She had Nona in 1974 and Frankie in 1975, and they married after his complicated divorce became final. They were divorced in 1981.

Jan now lives in Providence, R.I., near daughter Nona, where she acts as "Mama Bear." Gaye has three grandchildren, Marvin IV, Dylan and Nolan.

"It's sad that Marvin's grandkids, who never met their grandfather, that this is all they have to look at as far as people who claim to be their family," Jan said. "That's a pretty sad situation."

Gaye's wife Anna is, Jan reports, in good health.

"Anna is 91 and doing well, looks fantastic. She gets out. The Gordys are long-lived," Jan pointed out. "[[Berry's father) Pops Gordy was 101 when he passed on; his wife was not much younger."

There have been many books written about Marvin Gaye since his 1984 death; Jan Gaye dismisses most of them, including Michael Eric Dyson's "Mercy, Mercy Me: The Art, Loves and Demons of Marvin Gaye" [[Basic Civitas, $13.95).

"That's really not a good one, but since he's a professor at Georgetown, people think, 'Oh, it must be true if he wrote it,'" she said. "The only one I have any respect for is 'Divided Soul' [[by David Ritz). And he didn't interview me."

Because there are so many rumors she feels she needs to address, Jan is writing her own memoir.

"I'm almost done with it. Believe me, it's not going to be anything like 'My Brother, Marvin.' It's more leading up to the time where I met him, and the 11 years that we spent together, the good, the bad and the indifferent.

"I'm not afraid of the truth; the truth is so interesting I don't have to make up a thing. The life that I lived with him from [[age) 17 to 28, those were unbelievable years. Not always positive, but whose marriage is?"

Youth part of her problem
That she grew up during their marriage was part of what caused it to falter, Jan says. "That was part of our issue."

Apart from Gaye's three children, there are other family members who Jan feels have been unjustly forgotten. Many knew his younger brother Frankie, who died in 2001, but there was an older brother as well, Michael, and a younger brother, Antwaun Carey Gay, who was his father's child with another woman.

"Marvin's brother Antwaun lives in Washington, D.C.; he is younger than Zeola," Jan said. "He looks like Marvin, sounds like Marvin. He can sing, too; he says he can't, but he's not bad."

She plans to go buy a ticket and see "Motown: The Musical," Berry Gordy's Broadway narrative about his life and the glory days of Motown, although she wishes that Gaye's children were invited to it and other Motown events.

Actor Bryan Terrell Clark plays Gaye, and in his first scene in the musical, he's playing the piano at a Christmas party, where Berry Gordy first laid eyes on him.

"Yes, that's how they met," Jan said. "Berry Gordy couldn't believe what he heard."

Did Clark look anything like Gaye, she wondered? No, but few men look like that.

She laughed. "Nobody looks as good. Marvin was a classically chiseled — if there's such a thing as a perfect face on a man, I hate to say it, but he had that."

As for "My Brother Marvin," Jan Gaye wants people to know that they won't hear Gaye's music in the play.

"What they're going to get are sound-alike [[songs), where it sounds almost like 'What's Going On,' or almost like 'Let's Get It On,' same chord changes, same beat, but slightly different."

Gaye's publisher, Sony ATV, hasn't allowed use of his music in the play.

"Zeola thinks it's me personally doing it, or Nona, Frankie and Marvin ganging up on her. But Sony is aware of the other play, and said no. They are trying to protect his legacy."

Despite their differences, she craves healing in the Gaye family.

Her message for Zeola: "Open your arms to the children of your dead brother and show them your love. They don't have a lot of people, family-wise, that they're close to. When Nona tried to get close, it didn't go well, and it was all about money. It would be nice if it could be about the Gaye family being family."

swhitall@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/swhitall

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130216/ENT01/302160303#ixzz2L6Jvpx9P

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130216/ENT01/302160303#ixzz2L6JdQZ00

Roberta75
02-16-2013, 06:49 PM
My cousin in Highland park is thinking about going to this but it only run for a week in Detroit.

Here is the TV ad running in Detroit that Jan Gaye isnt happy about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYdFlYZ3_o&feature=player_detailpage

Roberta

stingbeelee
02-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Thank you, Roberta, for putting up the link to the commercial!

mirage
02-16-2013, 07:10 PM
One word ---authenticate these “newly” found diaries. Forensic Science is capable of sorting out the facts.

“Newly” discovered anything about Marvin and Motown is sketchy. Before restaging the same play based on what is being purported to be a recent discovery, the diaries should have been vetted by a forensics expert. The legalities of this revised play might become complex. If the “new” discovery is proven to be a lie … dependent upon circumstances, the situation, and the intent … it could be civil and/or criminal. Intent is the legal key.

Stingbeelee and Robert75 ---interesting posts.

jillfoster
02-16-2013, 08:24 PM
This Jan bitch needs to sit down. If this play is based on his sister's book, then I'm sorry, but a sister who knew the man for FORTY YEARS trumps some triflin ho that was married to him for 8. And it is said the journals belonged to Marvin's parents... when you go through people's belongings you find stuff. We did that and found a journal written by my great grandmother between 1913 and 1916. You find all kinds of stuff.

jobeterob
02-16-2013, 09:03 PM
At the root of the issue is probably who is scraping money out of the estate, just like in the Jackson family, except they aren't scraping.

All of these people need to learn from Mary Wilson - drop the BS, drop the whining and complaining. If you want to do something about it, get a lawyer and see if you have a case. If not, do you want to spend the rest of your life complaining?

marv2
02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
At the root of the issue is probably who is scraping money out of the estate, just like in the Jackson family, except they aren't scraping.

All of these people need to learn from Mary Wilson - drop the BS, drop the whining and complaining. If you want to do something about it, get a lawyer and see if you have a case. If not, do you want to spend the rest of your life complaining?

or they could learn to not be as dumb as Diana Ross and go on national television threating to go see the film "Dreamgirls" with her lawyers! They could be super stupid and put it out in the press that they hate the play without ever even seeing it ala Miss Ross and the Broadway play, "Dreamgirls" in 1981!

Roberta75
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Thank you, Roberta, for putting up the link to the commercial!

You are welcome stingbeelee.

Fondly,

Roberta

jobeterob
02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
You are welcome stingbeelee.

Fondly,

Roberta

Thanks for the commercial Roberta. And Lynn Whitfield too!

daddyacey
02-17-2013, 12:15 AM
It boils down to this, there are those that dwell on the negative issues that Marvin had and those that dwell on the genius of Marvin and his music , which all these years later we are still trying to digest and try to understand. What's more important? What's making the most money for those that never sang a single note or wrote a single word or produced a single track? Or those who respect and see him as just a being just as flawed and human as the rest of us? Sad fact is these same issues are what the MAN was forced to endure when he was alive and was the basis of his "Divided Soul" legacy.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. You can love him for what he was or hate him , love his genius or tear him down. It don't matter because the world will talk about and know that which was the Man known as Marvin Pentz Gaye Jr. In positive or negative light , you WILL KNOW HIS NAME!!!

And that boys and girls is eternal.

marv2
02-17-2013, 12:31 AM
It boils down to this, there are those that dwell on the negative issues that Marvin had and those that dwell on the genius of Marvin and his music , which all these years later we are still trying to digest and try to understand. What's more important? What's making the most money for those that never sang a single note or wrote a single word or produced a single track? Or those who respect and see him as just a being just as flawed and human as the rest of us? Sad fact is these same issues are what the MAN was forced to endure when he was alive and was the basis of his "Divided Soul" legacy.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. You can love him for what he was or hate him , love his genius or tear him down. It don't matter because the world will talk about and know that which was the Man known as Marvin Pentz Gaye Jr. In positive or negative light , you WILL KNOW HIS NAME!!!

And that boys and girls is eternal.

You summed up things very nice and accurately Daddy......thanks!

mellow_q
02-17-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't understand why Jan is getting all bent out of shape about a play that is only running for a week and doesn't feature any of Gaye's music.

Why doesn't she bust her ass to write her own book, and then bust her ass even further to get backers to finance turning it into a play. Given that she and Gaye weren't married and hadn't been married for some time at the time of his death, I don't consider her part of Gaye's family.

Marvin's two children with her are grown and can speak for themselves.

daddyacey
02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
LOL , Marv You know we will cut a M.F. when it comes to Marvin!!!!!

marv2
02-17-2013, 04:03 AM
LOL , Marv You know we will cut a M.F. when it comes to Marvin!!!!!

Daddy, Daddy, Daddy......... I know that's right! hehehehehehehehehehe........

nabob
02-17-2013, 08:18 AM
or they could learn to not be as dumb as Diana Ross and go on national television threating to go see the film "Dreamgirls" with her lawyers! They could be super stupid and put it out in the press that they hate the play without ever even seeing it ala Miss Ross and the Broadway play, "Dreamgirls" in 1981!Marv, I generally like your participation in the forum, but your need to interject your dislike for Diana Ross in threads of which she is not the subject has become tired and is one reason I don't participate much these days. I am by no means a Diana Ross fan while being a champion of Mary's personality and perseverance - like you. I was taught as a child that if I didn't have anything nice or constructive to say, to keep my mouth shut. I'm sure you were taught similarly. For the sake of the forum, please keep a smile and let it roll when the opportunity to bash Ross appears. I'm counting on you!

milven
02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Marv, I generally like your participation in the forum, but your need to interject your dislike for Diana Ross in threads of which she is not the subject has become tired and is one reason I don't participate much these days. I am by no means a Diana Ross fan while being a champion of Mary's personality and perseverance - like you. I was taught as a child that if I didn't have anything nice or constructive to say, to keep my mouth shut. I'm sure you were taught similarly. For the sake of the forum, please keep a smile and let it roll when the opportunity to bash Ross appears. I'm counting on you!

Agreed. Diana was not the focus in this thread. This is how constructive threads go downhill. I am a fan of Diana and Mary, and so I can't retaliate his remarks about Diana by dissing Mary. Nor do I want to.

But getting back on subject , there was a critically acclaimed play about Marvin Gaye about a year ago in Chicago that was put on by the BLACK THEATER ENSAMBLE. I was tempted to fly there to see it, but it wasn't meant to be. I hoped that the play would tour and eventually make it to Off-Broadway, but after doing a few google searches , I guess it is a dead project.

His story would make an excellent play.

marv2
02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Marv, I generally like your participation in the forum, but your need to interject your dislike for Diana Ross in threads of which she is not the subject has become tired and is one reason I don't participate much these days. I am by no means a Diana Ross fan while being a champion of Mary's personality and perseverance - like you. I was taught as a child that if I didn't have anything nice or constructive to say, to keep my mouth shut. I'm sure you were taught similarly. For the sake of the forum, please keep a smile and let it roll when the opportunity to bash Ross appears. I'm counting on you!

Did you even look at what and whom I was responding to? Try it and you'll what the deal is each and EVERY time.

marv2
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Did you even notice how it got steered away from the subject of the thread. Did you notice at what point that happened and who steered it away? Did you? Just read what I was responding to and who wrote it.

milven
02-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Did you even notice how it got steered away from the subject of the thread. Did you notice at what point that happened and who steered it away? Did you? Just read what I was responding to and who wrote it.

Your response was to Rob who said that the Gaye family should follow Mary Wilson's example and stop the whining and complaining and move on. It was a compliment to Mary not an insult. Mary has had some wonderful successes in the past few years. You, however, replied by insulting Diana by calling her dumb. By the way, when she told David Letterman that she was seeing Dreamgirls with her lawyers , it was joke and it was taken as a joke by David and the audience. Check it out on YOUTUBE. And once again, you brought a thread off topic.

milven
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Back on topic, here is a video of the play about Marvin that was in Chicago last year along with an article about the play.
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/stage/12808823-421/star-of-the-marvin-gaye-story-is-something-like-the-real-thing.html

nabob
02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Did you even notice how it got steered away from the subject of the thread. Did you notice at what point that happened and who steered it away? Did you? Just read what I was responding to and who wrote it.My LAST response with nothing constructive to add: Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Kamasu_Jr
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I agree. Janis should hurry and get her book published and tell her side of things. I didn't know Marvin had 2 other brothers. Sad some members of the Gaye family or is that "Gay" are still squabbling over his legacy. But when you think of it most families are like that.

marv2
02-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Your response was to Rob who said that the Gaye family should follow Mary Wilson's example and stop the whining and complaining and move on. It was a compliment to Mary not an insult. Mary has had some wonderful successes in the past few years. You, however, replied by insulting Diana by calling her dumb. By the way, when she told David Letterman that she was seeing Dreamgirls with her lawyers , it was joke and it was taken as a joke by David and the audience. Check it out on YOUTUBE. And once again, you brought a thread off topic.

It was dumb in my opinion and everything else I wrote was fact! Now keep it up and it will go all the way off topic. I'm done with it.

soulster
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I did not think there was anything wrong with that commercial. But, i'm also not connected with the family, so I have no emotional investment in this play. Fact is, Marvin was shot dead by his father.

Sooner or later, the gory details of his last years are going to come out in public. Well, they kind of are already out there, but everyone who is interested will be aware of it. He was famous, so his life of public interest. Jan wants to write a memoir to contradict what's out there, she is certainly free to do so. The public can vote with their dollars.

marv2
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I did not think there was anything wrong with that commercial. But, i'm also not connected with the family, so I have no emotional investment in this play. Fact is, Marvin was shot dead by his father.

Sooner or later, the gory details of his last years are going to come out in public. Well, they kind of are already out there, but everyone who is interested will be aware of it. He was famous, so his life of public interest. Jan wants to write a memoir to contradict what's out there, she is certainly free to do so. The public can vote with their dollars.

Janis is just trying to make herself relevant in this story. She wasn't even there the day Marvin died. Marvin's sister-in-law [[Frankie's wife) was in the house that day and has told her story/observations. Marvin's sister had known him his entire life and knew of the dynamics between Marvin and his father.

marv2
02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
They really should concentrate on all the great things Marvin accomplished in his life. All the great music that he left for people to enjoy for generations to come.

Soul Sister
02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I read the reviews from fans who saw it, not good!

Jan is for the truth. The only bio she endorses is David Ritz's "Divided Soul", righteously so since David tells it like it is. :)

S.S.

skooldem1
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
They really should concentrate on all the great things Marvin accomplished in his life. All the great music that he left for people to enjoy for generations to come.

What is so different, or special about Marvin that we should only focus on the positive? I'm just curious as to why some feel that way only about certain artist and not all artist in general?

Soul Sister
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
OH! And by the way, Jan doesn't need to make herself relevant she IS relevant!

S.S.

milven
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
While all the important people were at the opening of Motown The Musical, I was uptown at the Beacon Theater watching MY BROTHER MARVIN. While the Beacon Theater is located on Broadway, it is not a legitimate theater and even though the play was literally being performed on Broadway, it will never make it to Broadway in its current form.

Marvin's sister was not allowed to use any of Marvin's music. So the story was padded, there was some preaching and when Marvin sang, they were not his songs. Too much padding. For instance , there was a segment that lasted at least twenty minutes where Teddy Pendergrass, Tina Turner and Gladys Knight were performing in a concert. After they individually performed, an announcer said that Marvin Gaye had cancelled his performance. Obvious padding. Two sentences could have moved the story along much faster by saying that Marvin was missing performances because his mother was in the hospital. Having Teddy Bear, Tina and Gladys perform for twenty minutes did nothing for the story.

Three actors played Marvin Gaye. Without knowing it, we had pizza with one of them before the show at a pizza place across the street. We realized it when we saw him on stage later.

I am not sure why Janis is objecting to the show. There are no revelations about his life that we did not already know. It does show what provoked Marvin's father to shoot him, but even that is common knowledge.

At the end of the show, and before the cast took its bow, Marvin's real life sister came on stage and talked to the audience telling why she wrote the play and how it has been a challenge for her to keep it going, and how she was not allowed to use the music. She said that will continue to try to keep the play running while she attempts to get the rights to use his music.

The play did only highlight the negative but without the music, wasn't most of his life negative? An addict ! An abusive father ! Murdered ! What's positive about that?

Having seen Motown the Musical recently I saw a similar scene in both plays.

In Motown The Musical, during an argument with Berry , Marvin says "You're not my father. I have a father !" In MY BROTHER MARVIN, during the same argument with Berry, Marvin says, "You didn't make me. God made me !"

Thankfully, they did not charge Broadway prices or I would have been disappointed because it is not Broadway worthy with the excessive padding and no Marvin music .

But, I am a fan of Marvin and Motown and I am glad that I saw it. It is traveling the country. I posted touring info below.

http://frontrowtickets.com/my-brother-marvin-tickets.aspx

My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Coronado Performing Arts Center
Coronado Performing Arts Center
Rockford, IL 04/18/2013 8:00 PM
Apr 18, 2013
Thu, 8:00 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Arie Crown Theater
Arie Crown Theater
Chicago, IL 04/19/2013 8:00 PM
Apr 19, 2013
Fri, 8:00 PM View Tickets
Arie Crown Theater
Chicago, IL 04/20/2013 3:00 PM
Apr 20, 2013
Sat, 3:00 PM View Tickets
Arie Crown Theater
Chicago, IL 04/20/2013 8:00 PM
Apr 20, 2013
Sat, 8:00 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Louisville Palace
Louisville Palace
Louisville, KY 04/21/2013 3:00 PM
Apr 21, 2013
Sun, 3:00 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Louisville Palace
Louisville Palace
Louisville, KY 04/21/2013 7:30 PM
Apr 21, 2013
Sun, 7:30 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Newark Symphony Hall
Newark Symphony Hall
Newark, NJ 04/26/2013 8:00 PM
Apr 26, 2013
Newark Symphony Hall
Newark, NJ 04/27/2013 3:00 PM
Apr 27, 2013
Newark Symphony Hall
Newark, NJ 04/27/2013 8:00 PM
Apr 27, 2013
Newark Symphony Hall
Newark, NJ 04/28/2013 3:00 PM
Apr 28, 2013
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Sarofim Hall - Hobby Center
Sarofim Hall - Hobby Center
Houston, TX 05/02/2013 8:00 PM
May 02, 2013
Houston, TX 05/03/2013 8:00 PM
May 03, 2013
Houston, TX 05/04/2013 3:00 PM
May 04, 2013
Houston, TX 05/04/2013 8:00 PM
May 04, 2013
Houston, TX 05/05/2013 3:00 PM
May 05, 2013
Houston, TX 05/05/2013 7:30 PM
May 05, 2013
Sun, 7:30 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Sacramento Community Center Theater
Sacramento Community Center Theater
Sacramento, CA 05/16/2013 8:00 PM
May 16, 2013
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Paramount Theatre - CA
Paramount Theatre - CA
Oakland, CA 05/17/2013 8:00 PM
May 17, 2013
Paramount Theatre - CA
Oakland, CA 05/18/2013 8:00 PM
May 18, 2013
Paramount Theatre - CA
Oakland, CA 05/19/2013 5:00 PM
May 19, 2013
Sun, 5:00 PM View Tickets
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Pantages Theatre - CA
Pantages Theatre - CA
Los Angeles, CA 05/23/2013 8:00 PM
May 23, 2013
Pantages Theatre - CA
Los Angeles, CA 05/24/2013 8:00 PM
May 24, 2013
Pantages Theatre - CA
Los Angeles, CA 05/25/2013 3:00 PM
May 25, 2013
Pantages Theatre - CA
Los Angeles, CA 05/25/2013 8:00 PM
May 25, 2013
My Brother Marvin My Brother Marvin Terrace Theater - Long Beach Convention Center
Terrace Theater - Long Beach Convention Center
Long Beach, CA 05/26/2013 4:00 PM
May 26, 2013
Sun, 4:00 PM View Tickets

marymary
01-07-2014, 02:03 AM
had anyone read Zeola's book? interested in hearing about it...

I think I would be interested in Janis's book as well;I guess in general I'm just interested in hearing some fresh takes on Marvin's story.

Of course, the story that I would LOVE to hear is from Anna Gordy but Lord knows the Gordys keep their lips sealed, not to mention Anna's deteriorating health, so that will never happen [[but I can dream).