PDA

View Full Version : Smooth sailing - temptations

test

Kamasu_Jr
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
This has been on my player from the SOLID ROCK download. It was a single release in 1972, but it wasn't a smash. It sounds like a throwback or homage to the kind of songs the Temptations featured on the album With A Lot O' Soul. Norman Whitfield did some other tunes that were released in the Seventies, but they sounded like they could have been released in the Sixties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7c4A8PflrQ

soulwally
02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Kam: Have you heard the Monitors' version of [[their previously-unreleased) Too Busy Thinking About My baby on their anthology...? It's the same backing track as Smooth Sailing.
I'd put that band track date at even earlier than With A Lot Of Soul, when Whitfield was getting heavier with the guitars and brass.
Smooth Sailing was actually the flip of Superstar.

theboyfromxtown
02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Soulwally.

You sure about that?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temptations-Smooth-Sailing-Tamla-Motown-TMG-808-/111006309341?pt=UK_Records&hash=item19d87ddbdd

Kamasu_Jr
02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Both the Monitors' and Temptations' tracks sound similar. Do I detect little differences to the Tempts' version [[maybe it's in the mix)? But I was correct in saying Smooth Sailing could have gone on With A Lot O' Soul. Did Barrett Strong write the lyrics to both songs?

soulwally
02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Sorry, it's the flip of Take A Look Around, which was definitely the A side.

The notes with the Monitors CD say the band track was recorded April 1967, which puts it in the With A Lot O Soul timeline, but to me it sounds like Temptin Temptations vintage. The tracks sound identical to me.

arrr&bee
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
One of thier best,i believe it was damon's first lead and he nailed it,sounding like a young eddie and the harmony was tight...great song great group!!

tamla617
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
It really is a throw back to the "golden years" .Its on a good lp too.Is it just me or is the Solid Rock album overlooked ?Released as it was after Skys the limit and before All Directions.Two giant LP's.

Kamasu_Jr
02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
It really is a throw back to the "golden years" .Its on a good lp too.Is it just me or is the Solid Rock album overlooked ?Released as it was after Skys the limit and before All Directions.Two giant LP's.

Good observation. I always thought of Sky's the Limit as kind of dark and moody, perhaps because they were the last complete albums to feature Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. Solid Rock showed real energy and youthful vitality, in my opinion The songs ere high energy although I could have done without the pyschedelic arrangement on Ain't No Sunshine. The Temptations had been reborn.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Was this the first song recorded with Damon Harris singing lead [[full, proper lead, all through the song)?

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 06:43 PM
I think it was and he nailed it,it has the classic temps sound and should've been released as a single.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 06:47 PM
I think it was and he nailed it,it has the classic temps sound and should've been released as a single.

Yes, arr&bee, I completely agree
I LOVE this one, it's so bouncy and upbeat, a throwback to the Temptations of old!

soulwally
10-15-2016, 07:14 PM
This thread is a blast from the past!!

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 07:17 PM
If it's about our temps it's all good.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 07:44 PM
This thread is a blast from the past!!

Yes, sorry, I was listening to the song and found this thread when I googled the song title!! Hehehe :)

masterblaster
10-16-2016, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;352506]Was this the first song recorded with Damon Harris singing lead [[full, proper lead, all through the song)?[/QUOTE

according to Wikipedia, the song 'It,s Summer' from the Solid a Rock album featured only four members of the Temptations.
Otis Williams, Dennis Edwards, Melvin Franklin, and the final song sung by Paul Williams.

motownjohnny
10-16-2016, 11:51 AM
According to D.F.T.M.C., "Smooth Sailing From Now On", "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" and "I Know How To Love Her" by Jimmy Ruffin all share the same band track. They were all written [[jointly) by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong.

It looks like The Temptations were the first to record "Too Busy Thinking..........." back in November 1965 [[on "Getting Ready" ) with Eddie Kendricks on lead.

Then came Jimmy Ruffin with his version on the original band-track, but this time with new lyrics [[possibly written by Janie Bradford, but N.W. and B.S. are also credited as before) in Feb. '66; again produced by Norman Whitfield.

The Monitors recorded their version of "Too Busy Thinking ........." in May 1967, also produced by N.W.

Marvin recorded his tune again on the original band-track in Feb./March '69 and again N.W. produced. It was released as a single in the U.S. the following month.

The final version was re-titled "Smooth Sailing From Now On" and released on the flip side of "Superstar" in Feb. 72 with the lead vocals re-recorded by Damon Harris. As previously N.W. produced.

From all the re-cycling the track went through it would seem that N.W. had a lot of faith in the track's worth. Clearly that belief paid off with Marvin's hit version.

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Apparently the backing track for this song was recorded in 1967 and was intended to be another version of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby". [[It doesn't sound quite like any of the other versions to me, which would make sense). I suppose Norman wrote some completely different lyrics [[very different actually, Lol!), had The Tempts lay down the vocals and made a great new song out of it!

motownjohnny
10-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Apparently the backing track for this song was recorded in 1967 and was intended to be another version of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby". [[It doesn't sound quite like any of the other versions to me, which would make sense). I suppose Norman wrote some completely different lyrics [[very different actually, Lol!), had The Tempts lay down the vocals and made a great new song out of it!

Thanks for your comments TomatoTom123. They aroused my curiosity and caused me to delve a little deeper into the history of this song, and following some further research I'm pleased to say you're partly correct, though sadly not completely.

There are in fact three versions and not two. So bear with me and I'll give you a quote taken directly from the liner notes by Keith Hughes in The Monitors "Say You" CD from 2011, which will, I hope, clarify the relationship between all three versions of "Too Busy Thinking.......", and in turn, how "Smooth Sailing" came about.

"The first version of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" appeared on The Temptations "Getting Ready" LP. Jimmy Ruffin dubbed vocals onto the track, and his version eventually came out on the CD "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" in 1998. This, the second version, was started as a re-make for Jimmy, though he never added his vocals; instead The Monitors added theirs, whereupon the track was canned. A third version was made just for Marvin Gaye, and was a 1969 hit for him. The final chapter in the story came when the second version [[this one i.e. The Monitors' one) was rescued from the vaults, Barrett Strong wrote new lyrics and The Temptations recorded it as "Smooth Sailing [[From Now On)............".

Now, I hope that's the full story of how "Smooth Sailing" came about and that there isn't a yet to be discovered fourth version lurking somewhere in the Motown Vaults! LOL.

TomatoTom123
10-18-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your comments TomatoTom123. They aroused my curiosity and caused me to delve a little deeper into the history of this song, and following some further research I'm pleased to say you're partly correct, though sadly not completely.

There are in fact three versions and not two. So bear with me and I'll give you a quote taken directly from the liner notes by Keith Hughes in The Monitors "Say You" CD from 2011, which will, I hope, clarify the relationship between all three versions of "Too Busy Thinking.......", and in turn, how "Smooth Sailing" came about.

"The first version of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" appeared on The Temptations "Getting Ready" LP. Jimmy Ruffin dubbed vocals onto the track, and his version eventually came out on the CD "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" in 1998. This, the second version, was started as a re-make for Jimmy, though he never added his vocals; instead The Monitors added theirs, whereupon the track was canned. A third version was made just for Marvin Gaye, and was a 1969 hit for him. The final chapter in the story came when the second version [[this one i.e. The Monitors' one) was rescued from the vaults, Barrett Strong wrote new lyrics and The Temptations recorded it as "Smooth Sailing [[From Now On)............".

Now, I hope that's the full story of how "Smooth Sailing" came about and that there isn't a yet to be discovered fourth version lurking somewhere in the Motown Vaults! LOL.

Ahhh, thank you so very much motownjohnny, that's brilliant and fascinating! So this song has the backing track to The Monitors' version of the "Too Busy" but completely different lyrics!

And I was kinda right. Kinda. LOL!

motownjohnny
10-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Ahhh, thank you so very much motownjohnny, that's brilliant and fascinating! So this song has the backing track to The Monitors' version of the "Too Busy" but completely different lyrics!

And I was kinda right. Kinda. LOL!

Hey, it's been fun researching it! And yip you were kinda right Tom, but absolutely no prizes on offer, I'm afraid LOL.

In answer to your earlier question, I forgot to say that this was indeed Damon Harris's first full lead with The Temps. - recorded 18 November '71, the day after he sang along with Richard Street [[ex of The Monitors) on "Take A Look Around". Otis Williams and Dennis Edwards provided joint leads on that one.

This is one of my favourite Temps tunes and a definite throwback to some of their earlier softer more romantic stuff like "Just My Imagination" when Eddie Kendricks took lead.

Also, check out Eddie's version of the Brenda Holloway song "Can I" from her "Every Little Bit Hurts" album. His short version was released as his second solo single in July '71 and the full length version, lasting just over 6 minutes, can be found on his first solo album "All By Myself" released in April 1971. Both "....Imagination" and "Can I" are truly sublime IMHO.

TomatoTom123
10-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Hey, it's been fun researching it! And yip you were kinda right Tom, but absolutely no prizes on offer, I'm afraid LOL.

In answer to your earlier question, I forgot to say that this was indeed Damon Harris's first full lead with The Temps. - recorded 18 November '71, the day after he sang along with Richard Street [[ex of The Monitors) on "Take A Look Around". Otis Williams and Dennis Edwards provided joint leads on that one.

This is one of my favourite Temps tunes and a definite throwback to some of their earlier softer more romantic stuff like "Just My Imagination" when Eddie Kendricks took lead.

Also, check out Eddie's version of the Brenda Holloway song "Can I" from her "Every Little Bit Hurts" album. His short version was released as his second solo single in July '71 and the full length version, lasting just over 6 minutes, can be found on his first solo album "All By Myself" released in April 1971. Both "....Imagination" and "Can I" are truly sublime IMHO.

Oh my, thank you very much, motownjohnny, your answers have been perfect [[unlike mine, LOL)

What a debut for Damon though. Interesting how both Eddie's last song with the group and Damon's first song with the group were both similarly sublime! [[Actually, was "Just My Imagination" the last thing Eddie recorded with The Tempts??)

And I will be checking out Eddie's version of "Can I" very soon. His voice is so very lovely!

motownjohnny
10-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Oh my, thank you very much, motownjohnny, your answers have been perfect [[unlike mine, LOL)

What a debut for Damon though. Interesting how both Eddie's last song with the group and Damon's first song with the group were both similarly sublime! [[Actually, was "Just My Imagination" the last thing Eddie recorded with The Tempts??)

And I will be checking out Eddie's version of "Can I" very soon. His voice is so very lovely!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/mar/26/how-made-just-my-imagination

TomatoTom123
10-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Thank you Johnny, that was a fascinating read, and from the very people who made the song!

motownjohnny
10-18-2016, 05:45 PM

Ok here's your answer.