PDA

View Full Version : Remember Whitman Mayo? [[Grady from Sanford and Son)

test

smark21
02-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I’ve been watching Sanford and Son reruns on the Antenna cable channel. Still holds up as a hilarious show. They’ve been showing the Grady episodes where Whitman Mayo filled in for Redd Foxx when Foxx was out on a contract dispute. Mayo did an excellent job filling in the gap while Foxx was out. I looked up Mayo on imdb and shocked to learn he was only in his 40s when he was on Sanford and Son. What a talented actor as I was totally convinced he was much older.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0562924/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

stephanie
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
I didnt appreciate him back then as much as I do now. I thought they were all older actors as well. Most of them had a lot of experience from the chitlin circuit and that is how they were able to be so much better than most sitcom actors.

arrr&bee
02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Great second banana as fred's best friend grady was hilarious,what a classic series.

Kamasu_Jr
02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Grady and Aunt Esther are my favorite characters on Sanford & Son.
Whitman Mayo got his own spin off, Grady. But it only lasted for about one season. Whitman had a cameo in Boyz In Da Hood and one of the talk shows - either Jimmy Kimmel or Conan O'Brian paid tribute to him before he died.

Jerry Oz
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I loved Sanford and Son; I own the entire collection. And I absolutely loved the episodes that Mayo carried the water, he saved the show until Fred returned.

But, I remember everybody that I know thought that he was as funny as Redd Foxx that season until Foxx came back and proved me wrong. "Good googly moogly!"

glencro
02-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Would love to see the old "Grady" episodes again. I remember Nat King Cole's daughter Carole played his daughter on that show.