PDA

View Full Version : Valerie demo for Remember Me

test

luke
02-11-2013, 12:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWUgULW9nqE Great though I prefer Diana's.

jillfoster
02-11-2013, 12:14 AM
I think Valerie's is WAY better. Just how many times did Diana record a song that already had a finished demo? Singing by numbers isn't exactly something that makes Diana look good. I want a singer who can interpret a song and give some personal feeling to it, not just mimic someone else's guide vocals.

Roberta75
02-11-2013, 12:20 AM
I think Valerie's is WAY better. Just how many times did Diana record a song that already had a finished demo? Singing by numbers isn't exactly something that makes Diana look good. I want a singer who can interpret a song and give some personal feeling to it, not just mimic someone else's guide vocals.

lol priceless.

Kamasu_Jr
02-11-2013, 12:50 AM
For those of you who haven't heard it already...It's on the expanded edition of Surrender.

skooldem1
02-11-2013, 01:55 AM
I would say that 99% of the singers who don't write their on material are presented with songs with demo singers. Based on this demo, Diana Ross's version is much better. Diana puts so much more feeling in it. But keep in mind that Diana's is a finished product. Valerie's is just a demo. I'm sure if Valerie were to have recorded an official version it would have been better than the demo.

jillfoster
02-11-2013, 02:40 AM
I would say that 99% of the singers who don't write their on material are presented with songs with demo singers. Based on this demo, Diana Ross's version is much better. Diana puts so much more feeling in it. But keep in mind that Diana's is a finished product. Valerie's is just a demo. I'm sure if Valerie were to have recorded an official version it would have been better than the demo.

Yes, and most of them sing their OWN demos, then they can live with them for a bit, perfect them, or they may have a demo from the songwriter, but most times they don't follow the demo vocal so closely.

jobeterob
02-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Yes, and most of them sing their OWN demos, then they can live with them for a bit, perfect them, or they may have a demo from the songwriter, but most times they don't follow the demo vocal so closely.

Ah. The point here must be that Mary Wilson would not follow the demo so closely ~ that would be if she recorded any songs that ever got released and sold more than 100 copies. Then they'd invest money in demos for her too. Got it. Right, she'd do a better job too. So would Lynda. Oh right, she isn't a Supreme.

marv2
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM

According to Robin Seymour who once witnessed a recording session involving Diana Ross back in the day, they had to spoon feed her the lyrics almost word for word. She sometimes did not even know when to begin singing once the music started in the recording studio.

luke
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Of course Valeries voice is stronger but I do feel Diana puts more sutelty and nuance in her performance. Val sings it but Daina sells it.

jaybs
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I like it! but it does not say I don't still like Diana's version

jillfoster
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Ah. The point here must be that Mary Wilson would not follow the demo so closely ~ that would be if she recorded any songs that ever got released and sold more than 100 copies. Then they'd invest money in demos for her too. Got it. Right, she'd do a better job too. So would Lynda. Oh right, she isn't a Supreme.

There is a difference between a demo and a finished backing track with a demo VOCAL on it. I was thinking that MOST other singers wouldn't follow a demo vocal so closely, Dusty certainly never would have. Dusty never wanted to record until she could sing to the finished track. And that certainly didn't have any guide vocal on it. Karen Carpenter NEVER used anyone else's voice as a guide.. Richard built the arrangements, and and Karen was right there when he did it, mapping out in her mind how she was going to sing the song.

captainjames
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I love Val's demo but I have to say Diana's version is my favorite hands down.

jillfoster
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
According to Robin Seymour who once witnessed a recording session involving Diana Ross back in the day, they had to spoon feed her the lyrics almost word for word. She sometimes did not even know when to begin singing once the music started in the recording studio.

Well, I guess that explains why these deluxe editions might feature the countdown, but NEVER studio chatter to any real degree.

Ryon6
02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
How do you know that Dusty and Karen never used demos as a guide? All these critiques, can you do better?

Tyrone

There is a difference between a demo and a finished backing track with a demo VOCAL on it. I was thinking that MOST other singers wouldn't follow a demo vocal so closely, Dusty certainly never would have. Dusty never wanted to record until she could sing to the finished track. And that certainly didn't have any guide vocal on it. Karen Carpenter NEVER used anyone else's voice as a guide.. Richard built the arrangements, and and Karen was right there when he did it, mapping out in her mind how she was going to sing the song.