PDA

View Full Version : Rick Sanchez is no longer at CNN effective this afternoon

test

soulster
10-01-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/01/cnn.sanchez/index.html?hpt=T2

Atlanta, Georgia [[CNN) -- CNN anchor Rick Sanchez abruptly left the network Friday afternoon, just one day after making controversial comments on a satellite radio program.
"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company," according to a statement from CNN. "We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well."
On Thursday, Sanchez appeared on the XM Sirius radio program "Stand-Up with Pete Dominick." During the interview with Dominick, Sanchez called "The Daily Show's" Jon Stewart "a bigot" and then said that he was bigoted against "everybody else who's not like him. Look at his show, I mean, what does he surround himself with?"
Dominick pressed for specifics, and Sanchez, who is Cuban-American, responded, "That's what happens when you watch yourself on his show every day, and all they ever do is call you stupid."
Dominick, who was once the warm-up comic at Stewart's Comedy Central show and now has a spot on CNN's "John King, USA," noted that Stewart is Jewish and so a minority himself.
"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah," Sanchez responded.
The comments were widely quoted online and on social media.
Sanchez's 3 to 5 p.m. daily spot will be filled by "CNN Newsroom" for the "foreseeable future," CNN said.

I'm quite shocked that he said what he did. I really liked him as a fantastic journalist. But, i'll say CNN is better than Fox. They wouldn't fire Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity for making similar comments about the president.

Discuss.

marv2
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I just heard the story tonight and also his comments. Keith Olberman did a report on his broadcast tonight. I really don't know what to think. Sometimes I liked Rick Sanchez, or times it seemed like he had a chip on his shoulder. I did see his last broadcast interviewing Tony Orlando and commemorating Tony's 50 th Anniversary in show business.

soulster
10-01-2010, 09:36 PM
In the last few days, I did notice that he has seemed feistier, or angrier. I also noticed that they gave him a sort of a co-host on his 12:00 PM show. Maybe they had planned to give her the show while he did his 5:00 PM show. Perhaps something has been happening behind the scenes that provoked his attitude of late, and his comments yesterday. I remember that Lou Dobbs ubruptly, but was allowed to sign off the air with grace.

soulster
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk9QYuslcP8Here is the entire interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk9QYuslcP8

funky_fresh
10-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Rick Sanchez decided to to turn off the filter and speak the truth. I applaud his candor. I'm sure he's got some money saved up as those that are in control the media [[ALL OF THE MEDIA- FOX AND CNN) will guarantee he won't work anytime soon. Any question, ask Helen Thomas.

Thanks for posting the entire interview Soulster. Much better than the out of context quotes that are out there.

soulster
10-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Something tells Rick Sanchez planned the whole thing. Or, maybe he let his anger and frustration get the best of him. Either way, his did speak a truth, and it's not even secret, that there are a lot of Jewish people in business in the U.S.. That is not anti-semetic to think or say it. You know, Helen Thomas did the exact same thing several months ago. She lost her job by telling the truth.

One might say it's survival that jewish people are in place in so many high places. But, there is a lot of bigotry too. I hear derogatory Jewish jokes all the time. And, it's bad when there is racism that goes the opposite way, too.

Where Sanchez was stupid was to push the issue as a famous sitting news anchor on a major news network. Where he was careless was to call Jon Stewart a bigot. He doesn't know Stewart's a bigot. However, Sanchez took a lot of undeserved daily insults from not only Stewart, but the CNN brass. That, right there, certainly influenced Rick's opinion. So, I can understand why he lashed out, but he did it in a self-destructive way. And, Sanchez isn't anti-semetic, he just made some ignorant comments, and he needs to own up to it. But, if it hadn't been for the constant racism he has had to put up with, he would not have gone viral.

Now, I can see why CNN would let him go. He called a co-worker a bigot in public, and tainted his credibility. If he ever gets back into a position to comment or do news, his reporting will be perceived as being biased, just like Glenn Beck, one of his arch-rivals at Faux news. Fox didn't fire Beck when he made on-air comments that president Obama had a "deep-seated hatred of White People". Both he and Faux lost a lot of credibility, not that they had much to begin with. But, is there a double standard, as Rick says? After all, he is a Cuban-American, and Beck is White.

Another thing that hasn't been much reported is that CNN also fired Jonathon Klein last week, who was an ally of Sanchez. Everyone knows that CNN has been dropping in ratings for years. Truth be told, it was actually Lou Dobbs' former show that brought 'em in. Dobbs was asked to leave at a time Klein was trying to return to a higher level of journalistic standards by being featuring politically partisan pundits, unlike Faux or MSNBC. They even banned having talk show personalities that "increased the noise". Now, they have attempted to at least bring back that noise, and at least, unlike faux, give equal time to both sides. As sad as it is today, the audience wants divisive politics. They don't want to hear both sides. They want one strong opinion or the other. What suffers? Journalistic integrity, the one thing that was good about Rick Sanchez. He frequently vented his frustration about how partisan journalism has gotten, and how it was much better in the days of Walter Cronkite and Peter Jennings. Those days, are, unfortunately gone. The current climate also makes things worse for the country and the world because all people get now are opinions, or news with a bias. The public says they want unbiased, but go for the Bill O'Reillys and Rachel Maddows of the business. They think they are impartial??? I will switch over to MSNBC full-time with the full knowledge of their bias, but it's a bias that's more fair and balanced than the lies that Rupert Murdoch offers. I'm switching over because I have lost respect for CNN, not as much as I have for Faux, but just enough. And, HLN? It's more popular than it's parent CNN. Why? is it because HLN just gives you the facts, m'am? Is it because people like that loony Nancy Grace? Well, she's more of what the viewers like these days, having extreme opinions and an animated manner.

I think I see a major lawsuit in CNN's history.

People forgave Don Imus. Lou Dobbs still has a radio show and spews his tea-bagger filth. Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and Sean Hannity still have their shows. Michael Savage is still on the fringe with his radio show. Dr. lLaura will be back, if she isn't already. So, what will Rick do? he has a big following, and the best thing about him is that he always tried to get at the truth. And, he was excellent at calling out Faux on their bald-face lies. And, best of all, he was impartial! He did criticize both the left and the right.

Rick Sanchez's situation shows what's wrong with people. No matter how much progress a minority makes, or a group, as a whole makes, they will still be oppressed and discriminated against. Just look at the situation with Obama. Yeah, he's of color, and he was elected fair and square to the president of the United States. But, you have people who question his patriotism and birth status. You have Whites saying things like "We gave you a president, what else do you want?". Mr. Sanchez makes it to anchor status despite the racism, but he still got stupid comments from his bosses, and was daily insulted in public for stupid stuff. many people never took him seriously. Ever read tweets that were directed towards him? They were almost always nasty. he got no respect from neither the public or his peers. No wonder he went viral!

Rick Sanchez, makes the list he didn't want to be on.