PDA

View Full Version : And the Vandellas [[without Martha Reeves); 1969-1970

test

marybrewster
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I've read in several sources that there was a period sometime between 1969-1970 that Martha Reeves "left" the Vandellas. Some sources cite that Martha [[and the group) was on hiatus; I've seen it also mentioned that Martha was "temporarily" out.

For those of you that were around during that period [[or maybe "the the know"):

*Was there ever talk of the group disbanding?

*Was there ever talk of the group "replacing" Martha? [[Obviously, the group wouldn't have continued as "MR & V", but liken it to when Diana left the Supremes and Jean Terell replaced her, and the group reverted back to simply "The Supremes").

RossHolloway
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Isn't this around the same time period where Martha had her son or had a mental breakdown? Do we know how much studio recording was done by M&TV during this time frame?

franjoy56
02-09-2013, 05:49 AM
I've read in several sources that there was a period sometime between 1969-1970 that Martha Reeves "left" the Vandellas. Some sources cite that Martha [[and the group) was on hiatus; I've seen it also mentioned that Martha was "temporarily" out.

For those of you that were around during that period [[or maybe "the the know"):

*Was there ever talk of the group disbanding?

*Was there ever talk of the group "replacing" Martha? [[Obviously, the group wouldn't have continued as "MR & V", but liken it to when Diana left the Supremes and Jean Terell replaced her, and the group reverted back to simply "The Supremes").
No there was no group after Martha left, I believe she had been in a hospital for nerves breakdown around 70-71, she let the Vandellas at that time Sandra Tilley and Lois Reeves go, because she was unavailable. The group disbanded in 1972 [[just around the same time Motown moved to LA, and Martha was not notified that the company had relocated) the last single was "Tear it on Down" from the great album "Black Magic" The group had a resurgence with the single "Bless You, Bless Me" which just missed the top 40. Of course now the Original Vandellas Rosalyn and Annette sing without Martha I think a new girl has been added to the act, I think I have a recording by them when I went on the Motown cruise in 2010. ,